• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Ungrabbable State

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
http://oddshot.tv/shot/kirambaztokibz-20151001175225591

Okay, so I'm just curious if any of you are currently researching this? From what I understand, when Diddy throws his banana mid-multi-hit move, he suddenly enters this bizarre ungrabbable state. I was hoping to see if:

1. We knew if this was purely unique to Diddy?
  2. If there was anything more to this state to be noted.
Please keep my updated. I'm going to be checking if this happens to R.O.B., Megaman, Link/Tink, Peach, or any other characters with a grabbable item. Thanks.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I posted what is known in another topic here but:

Its caused by hitting A and then getting hit by a multihitting move apparently, he just tested it with the banana specifically because that's how it happened the first time. Its unique to Diddy so far, but anybody with a multihitting move can cause it to trigger. TOs either need to make it so if he enters this state he loses the match, or Diddy is simply banned until next patch because this is kinda broken.

Last edited:

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Wait, just hitting the A button? That's seriously it? At any time during a multihit move?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm not the one who's been testing it but ya, A button apparently. Don't know the specific timing multihitting move wise.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
On what characters is this done and how can I abuse it?

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
we must spam this video the most is possible, and hope in the fastest possible patch that fixes this bug

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
In regards to this, I went to Training Mode playing as Shulk to test the multi-hit moves that cause the grab glitch.

• Forward smash first hit on block & shield dropping to be hit by the second hit causes the glitch
  • Down smash wasn't tested yet
  • Up smash first hit on block & shield dropping to be hit by the second hit does not cause the glitch
  • Down Air & Up Air first hit on block & shield dropping to be hit by the second hit causes the gltich
I'll edit in later whenever I go back to labbing this.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Masonomace Masonomace feel free to use this, it's all I could be bothered doing tbh as I couldn't see any sort of real pattern (aside from "some multi hit moves and some but not all jabs, also ness dtilt") and I figured it would be patched out soon.

I feel as though this is the best place to put my findings regarding glitch where Diddy becomes invulnerable to grabs.

When he is in this state, he is invulnerable to ALL grabs including command grabs. The only way for him to exit this state is for his shield to be hit (without re-triggering the glitch, will explain below) or to die. If there is a third player, they will be able to grab Diddy so the glitch only pertains to the character who triggers the glitch on Diddy. If the character who triggered the glitch dies and respawns they will still be unable to grab Diddy.

What triggers the glitch? Certain moves hitting Diddy's shield and then immediately hitting Diddy afterwards. The most obvious example is rapid jabs, if Diddy shields a hit of a rapid jab and then is hit by a subsequent hit (IMPORTANT NOTE: some moves require Diddy to perform an OoS option to get hit [eg. grabbing or jumping] due to the changes to shield stun. Shield pokes also work.) he will be unaffected by all grabs. However it's not just rapid jabs, my theory is that it is some (but not all) quick or multi hitting moves that trigger this stage. A move must either be very quick or be the same instance of the initial move (ie. a move with multiple hitboxes, one being shielded and then the second hitting), the only exception I've found is Ness's dair.

:4pit:
Shielding one or more hits of rapid jab before getting hit by the same move triggers this glitch
Shielding one or more hits of uair, nair, fair, utilt, usmash, fsmash before getting hit by the same move triggers this glitch.
Shielding jab 1 before getting hit by jab 2 does not trigger this glitch.
Shielding jab 2 before getting hit by jab 3 OR rapid jab does not trigger this glitch.

:4zss:
Shielding one or more hits of boost kick before getting hit by the same move triggers this glitch.
Jab never triggers this glitch.

:4metaknight:
Shielding one or more hits of rapid jab, fair, bair, tornado, ftilt, drill rush before getting hit by the same move triggers this glitch.
No notable exceptions.

:4falcon:
Shielding one or more hits of rapid jab before getting hit by the same move triggers this glitch.
Shielding jab 1 before getting hit by jab 2 does not trigger this glitch.
Shielding jab 2 before getting hit by jab 3 OR rapid jab does not trigger this glitch.
Shielding one hit of neutral air before getting hit by the same move does not trigger this glitch.

:4fox:
Shielding one or more hits of rapid jab, dair, fair before getting hit by the same move triggers this glitch.
(I can't remember but I don't think either jab 1 -> jab 2 or jab 2 -> rapid trigger the glitch, sorry)

:4wario2:

Shielding jab 1 before getting hit by jab 2 triggers the glitch.
Shielding nair 1 before getting hit by nair 2 does not trigger this glitch.

:4link:
Shielding bair 1 before getting hit by bair 2 does not trigger this glitch (I forgot to test fair, sorry).
Shielding fsmash 1 before getting hit by fsmash 2 does not trigger this glitch.

:4ness:
Shielding one or more hits of fair, dash attack before getting hit by the same move triggers the glitch.
Shielding jab 2 before getting hit by jab 3 triggers the glitch.
Shielding dtilt before getting hit by dtilt triggers the glitch. <---- this is the only example of a move being repeated and still triggering the glitch.
No notable exceptions.

:4yoshi:
Shielding one or more hits of bair, dair before getting hit by the same move triggers the glitch.
Shielding jab 2 before getting hit by jab 1 does not trigger the glitch.

I'm struggling to see any concrete pattern.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
So Diddy Kong got banned at NorCal's biggest weekly, the Come On and Ban tournaments, thanks to this exploit. -_-

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
W.A.C. W.A.C. thats the concern (and only reasonable response really) - if this is a long time to patch (and by long I mean more than a week or two) its bad, if its until the next major update (months) its just heartbreaking.

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
The TO at our locals has just enforced a soft ban rule for Diddy. Basically Diddy can be picked if both players agree (being fully aware that the glitch may happen, intentionally or by accident).

Until it gets patched, imo it's a reasonable compromise

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Yeah, I think that Diddy compromise is the best thing we do to deal with Diddy for now. I hope this gets patched as soon as possible. I'd hate to keep all of you Diddy mains from using your character for now. Best wishes to the Diddy board.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I have to agree with NotEvenAmatueR NotEvenAmatueR here, I have already posted an announcement on my city's FB group that Diddy will be banned from the small locals I run until this glitch is fixed.

I'm not one to deny someone from playing their character; I've been a vocal supporter of Miis getting their movesets since they have been arbitrarily banned, and I will be the first to agree with you that there are lots of dumb things present in Smash. But this glitch is literally breaking core game mechanics, it's something as fundamental as rock > scissors > paper > rock becoming rock > scissors > paper. That's not okay in any sensible way, even if there is a way to restore him to his original state by hitting his shield.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Because of this bug I won't be able to use my main diddy in the only big national tournament I wanted to partecipate (and I had already bought the flight ticket and payed the room).
They have to fix the glitch earliest possible

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
LiteralGrill LiteralGrill , This needs to be on the front page, people need to be aware of this and this is the quickest way I know of.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Most folks already seem to know Zethoro Zethoro . It was passed around insanely on Twitter and on /r/smashbros too and we have whole other discussions here for it.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Most folks already seem to know Zethoro Zethoro . It was passed around insanely on Twitter and on /r/smashbros too and we have whole other discussions here for it.
Really? Huh. I Guess I'm the only one late to this knowledge then.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just posting this here for relevancy.

Patch 1.1.2 incoming and it's meant to fix this glitch.

Top Bottom