• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #4~ Princess Peach

skabs

Smash Rookie
I recently had a chance to play against one of the top Peach players in Europe (France's Leon), and we both had the same opinion on this match up: it favors Peach. I will try to highlight a few of the reasons for this.

First of all, though Diddy does have a better ground game thanks to his nanners, a smart Peach player will only fight Diddy on the ground when it is advantageous for them. Peach's ability to float allows her several viable methods of combating Diddy without ever touching the ground, and as such, Peach does not need to employ her ground game without first making sure that such an approach would be to her advantage. Therefore the very idea that Diddy's dominance on the ground (which is actually less than most Diddy mains would think thanks to Toad and Peach's good glide toss) gives him a pronounced advantage is flawed.

Also, Peach's ability to float allows her to avoid many of Diddy's conventional zoning methods. It has already been mentioned that peanuts are not very good in this match up for several reasons (because of Peach's aerials, her floating, maneuverability, ect). One reason for this that was not discussed was Peach's turnips. It is possible for a smart Peach player to use their character's aerial mobility and turnip game to out-camp Diddy Kong.

Finally, Peach has an AMAZING gimping game against Diddy Kong. Diddy's side-b is destroyed by well spaced fairs and nairs, turnips allow Peach to stop any attempt to deploy Rocket Barrels, Peach's side-b can beats all of our options and puts Peach in a superior position to recover, and a good Peach player will be able to float offstage to pursue Diddy. If you have never had to recover against a really good Peach player, take it from me, it is hell. I found that if I was ever forced offstage at over 50%, I had almost no way to get back. The only thing I found to be moderately successful at beating Peach offstage was luring her into a position for a side-b gimp, but this is very risky.

Sorry for the wall of text, I have had a lot of experience with this matchup, and figured I would share what I learned. If there are any errors in my logic, or methods Diddy has to combat the problems I pointed out, please feel free to point them out.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Over B is underrated!
fix'd.

Peach outcamps Diddy Kong? lawl. She doesn't even have time for this unless you're too far away since you can punish with a glidetossed banana throw... also, turips are really easy to powershield unless she glidetosses them to you or is really, really near.

If Peach floats over your banana-throw height, how about throwing peanuts. Yeah sure she can avoid them or attack them (if she attacks them while floating and is too near then that can be punished), but she can still get hit, you can also cancel your charge-peanut animation with a shield if you think that she'll hit you before your shooting animation is finished (and punish with a glidetoss (or maybe not, she has like no landing lag + jab :\), but you can dodge or something, or wait for the jabs to end...

If she's too near for peanuts (to be safe) or too high or whatever, then you can also jump and throw a banana at her. Only thing she can do about that is catching it, and while that is, of course, possible, it's not that easy and can be messed up and punished.

You can also dribble back to naner catching fair. Or just fair in general. It is soo fast and has good priority. Peach can outrange it with her fair, but it's way slower so it should be more difficult for her to land it. The fact that you also have sideB available really helps too, since you have a really fast, but not too good moving attack with fair, but with sideB Peach even has to watch ouf for that if she's out of range from fair. Just be unpredictable with those two.

Also, Diddy Kong doesn't die. He can play so ****ing save. And he camps so good that Peach will have realllyy trouble even getting a KO, because of Diddys good OoS game etc....

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
I main peach, and the Diddy kong matchup is not so difficult at all.

I say it should be 50-50 the less, and 55-45 on peach favor if not.

Its easy to use his bananas against him and also very easy to combo him with peach's mobility and variety.

im not gonna go into specifics, but any discussion ill be sure to answer.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yea peach isnt that hard :\ id agree with 50-50 maybe even slightly in diddys favor actually

<- kyon experience

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
50-50 indeed

Either way you must consider the few stages that can turn the match into peaches favor or the other way around. Peachs aerial spam in most of the match kinda balances diddy's ground play with bananas and such.

Peach can both counter and use the bananas against you, same diddy can **** up peach too.

Both players can sometimes be gimpable on each other. But ive seen diddy get gimped more than peach. :S

In my experiences, I mostly end up having a close match with all diddy's.

And technically if diddys banana control can be countered, or smart peach can play him back, theres not really a huge advantage torwards diddy or peach, Just equals the match.

I think you could conclude this 50-50.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
yea peach isnt that hard :\ id agree with 50-50 maybe even slightly in diddys favor actually

<- kyon experience
I just have a diddy issue lol aka his fair which I think I got rid of the last time we played. I'd say more of pictochat got me since I no nothing of the stage..... Back then...... Now I know that stage too.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I just have a diddy issue lol aka his fair which I think I got rid of the last time we played. I'd say more of pictochat got me since I no nothing of the stage..... Back then...... Now I know that stage too.
MM next time =D? btw gratz wreckin xaltis

Top Bottom