• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diddy Kong Social Thread

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
So I've been struggling to get the momentum change with a b reverse down b. Sometimes when I do a side b to b reversed down b, I get the b reverse but no momentum change, so I fly off the screen and die, which is literally one of the most embarrassing SDs lol. Is there anyway to get it more consistently?

Also, how do people use down b and grab the banana in the air without using an aerial? Like, they just jump and hit some button and grab it without doing anything.
The way I do it is when you're facing right after the side B, the inputs are:
:GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCB: really quickly. The opposite applies if you're facing left.

For the banana catch, use the grab button to catch the banana mid-air.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
So I've been struggling to get the momentum change with a b reverse down b. Sometimes when I do a side b to b reversed down b, I get the b reverse but no momentum change, so I fly off the screen and die, which is literally one of the most embarrassing SDs lol. Is there anyway to get it more consistently?

Also, how do people use down b and grab the banana in the air without using an aerial? Like, they just jump and hit some button and grab it without doing anything.
The Banana reverse doesn't require you to spin the circle pad half circle, but it does help. It requires the same timing as a regular b-reverse, but because of the down to side input it becomes harder.

With the z-catch all you have to do is press Z inside/next to the banana while in the air. However, if you air dodge, your timing is a bit off. I hope this helps!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Again, I wanna show appriciation for the buffs in U Smash and especially D Smash, these moves are real legit now!

Sonicninja115

Again, I wanna show appriciation for the buffs in U Smash and especially D Smash, these moves are real legit now!
I know right! Originally I was never using Dsmash, but then I realized that it is pretty good at catching spot dodges. What percent does it kill at now? Is it 110%

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No 110% I doubt it, unless it's on the absolute sweetspot which does about 23% damage, and it's on a real light character (Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, G&W ect). I think it's better to aim for a kill with D Smash around 120%~130% on most characters.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Usmash is seriously good, one of the better moves in the game now imo.
Anyway, thank you all for the help, my timing was just off on the banana grab, I kept air dodging.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Yeah I don't really use either moves but I should definitely change that. For some reason I always chicken out of committing to dtilt > usmash so I just go for dtilt > bair/fair @_@

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but does anyone here have advice for the Diddy-Rosalina MU? I really struggle with it.

Sonicninja115

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but does anyone here have advice for the Diddy-Rosalina MU? I really struggle with it.
You might want to look in the diddy kong MU thread, but that is so old it is probably useless. You might also want to try the Rosalina boards, and ask them about the MU. I don't know a lot about this MU so I can't help with it.

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
Does anyone here want to play some friendlies with me on Wii U? I need MU experience against Diddy.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Why don't I see many diddy players abuse the banana defensively? I've been placing it in front of my shield next to the ledge and its a super good setup because no matter what the opponent does, as long as the banana is there, the ledge is behind me, and i'm in shield, I'll always either be safe or secure a punish. I've seen some people camp with the popgun behind a banana but never camp with shield behind a banana, and I don't see enough diddy players abuse the popgun behind the banana either.

Sonicninja115

Why don't I see many diddy players abuse the banana defensively? I've been placing it in front of my shield next to the ledge and its a super good setup because no matter what the opponent does, as long as the banana is there, the ledge is behind me, and i'm in shield, I'll always either be safe or secure a punish. I've seen some people camp with the popgun behind a banana but never camp with shield behind a banana, and I don't see enough diddy players abuse the popgun behind the banana either.
For some reason that strategy has sorta faded away since March, I don't know why.

TheIceManCometh

Smash Cadet
NNID
theicemancometh
3DS FC
2724-1621-3496
Hey, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to play a few games with me on 3DS or Wii U. I need some MU experience against Diddy Kong. Send me a friend request on Wii U.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For some reason that strategy has sorta faded away since March, I don't know why.
Seem like a good idea to imply it back into our playstyle. Cause honestly, a more campy playstyle of Diddy could be a way of future development for our character. Diddy was also quite campy in Brawl, the potential for this playstyle is still there. Charged Peanuts even do nice damage, and people don't usually except them.

Sonicninja115

Hey, so Jtails released another Diddy kong guide and most of it was pretty basic, howver, he did mention something that I never really thought of before. If you hit someone near the edge with a banana they will fall off and grab the edge right? so we can simply run up and slip-edge for the ledge trump, resulting in a free punish!

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
What are currently considered the strongest stages for Diddy Kong? What about the worst?
I honestly think Diddy is equally good in all stages lol. I personally prefer BF/DL because I like using platforms to boost Diddy's mobility with side b ledge cancels and everything but FD can be a big open field for bananas and peanut popgun camping as well. Diddy also has good platform pressure.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
I honestly think Diddy is equally good in all stages lol. I personally prefer BF/DL because I like using platforms to boost Diddy's mobility with side b ledge cancels and everything but FD can be a big open field for bananas and peanut popgun camping as well. Diddy also has good platform pressure.
Arikado, do you have a main or do you exist in all character boards simultaneously?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Arikado, do you have a main or do you exist in all character boards simultaneously?
I main Sheik (most active there), secondary Roy, and play Diddy for fun, a lot.

"But Sheik mains don't need a secondary!" I need a secondary for the Lucario MU, and Roy is hella fun. :p

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Hey, everyone. After literally seven months of searching for a secondary to my main man :4dedede:, I've finally decided to pick up the shameless :4diddy:. I'm still trying to get a handle on his basic stuff... Mainly approaching and recovering effectively, but he's super fun and I hope I can make him work!

Maybe you'll be seeing more of me around these boards!

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Hey, everyone. After literally seven months of searching for a secondary to my main man :4dedede:, I've finally decided to pick up the shameless :4diddy:.
I don't think anyone considers Diddy Kong a shameless character pick anymore. Compared to 1.04, he's a considerably harder character to get results with.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I main Sheik (most active there), secondary Roy, and play Diddy for fun, a lot.

"But Sheik mains don't need a secondary!" I need a secondary for the Lucario MU, and Roy is hella fun. :p
Hey sometimes you just aren't in a "main mood" or don't necessarily need to bust out your best character. If you played against someone my level, you could pretty much use the training bag to win, so having things in the pocket for your own enjoyment is always good (it also fights off burnout for some people, something I found in other games I played for a long time)

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Hey sometimes you just aren't in a "main mood" or don't necessarily need to bust out your best character. If you played against someone my level, you could pretty much use the training bag to win, so having things in the pocket for your own enjoyment is always good (it also fights off burnout for some people, something I found in other games I played for a long time)
That's actually spot on accurate.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157

Just something I'd share.

This is what happens when a blue hedgehog enters the jungle of the Kongs.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
I'm tired of people talking about how "Broken" Diddy was before his nerf. He was never broken, a bit braindead and boring to watch? Maybe. But these kids who know nothing about Smash that complain about top tiers being "Broken" are now forcing Sakurai and his team to nerf these characters badly, hell, I actually like playing Diddy more now after his nerf, because it leaves room for creativity, but Diddy was only singled out as "broken" because his meta was developed a lot early on and people didn't adapt and characters like Sheik and Pikachu weren't fully developed yet. I'm just saying I don't want characters to be nerfed anymore. Nobody in this game is broken and everybody has weaknesses, and these people that call Sheik "broken" and say she needs to be nerfed weren't complaining about her before she became the "best", even though she's actually worse now. These people are ****ing up the game and Sakurai and his team actually listen to them. It's like the people that call Fox easy and broken in melee. I just don't like seeing characters, like Luigi for instance getting nerfed, which pretty much dwindles the amount of character variety we will see because many Luigi's are switching mains now. So let's stop people fromay having this "nerf now" mentality because it's coming from an audience of For glory players that don't know ****. Sorry for rambling on, I hope for the few that did read it made sense.

Tl;dr stop crying about nerfing every character and adapt

Sonicninja115

I'm tired of people talking about how "Broken" Diddy was before his nerf. He was never broken, a bit braindead and boring to watch? Maybe. But these kids who know nothing about Smash that complain about top tiers being "Broken" are now forcing Sakurai and his team to nerf these characters badly, hell, I actually like playing Diddy more now after his nerf, because it leaves room for creativity, but Diddy was only singled out as "broken" because his meta was developed a lot early on and people didn't adapt and characters like Sheik and Pikachu weren't fully developed yet. I'm just saying I don't want characters to be nerfed anymore. Nobody in this game is broken and everybody has weaknesses, and these people that call Sheik "broken" and say she needs to be nerfed weren't complaining about her before she became the "best", even though she's actually worse now. These people are ****ing up the game and Sakurai and his team actually listen to them. It's like the people that call Fox easy and broken in melee. I just don't like seeing characters, like Luigi for instance getting nerfed, which pretty much dwindles the amount of character variety we will see because many Luigi's are switching mains now. So let's stop people fromay having this "nerf now" mentality because it's coming from an audience of For glory players that don't know ****. Sorry for rambling on, I hope for the few that did read it made sense.

Tl;dr stop crying about nerfing every character and adapt
I am pretty sure everyone cries about it because they don't want to put the work in to beat that character.

Like, seriously, Shiek isn't OP. Far from it. She is definitely the best in the game, but not by some huge margin. Same with RosaLuma, Ness and ZSS. Learn the MU, and adapt. Is it going to be harder for you then them? Yes. Is that a problem? If it is, then stop whining and pick a top tier.

The only characters that annoy me are the one's that are good and don't need any skill. Those are the one's that are pretty bad. But, I just adapt and learn, so I can win the next time.

Shog

Smash Ace
I don't get the point complaining about complainers. Aren't you doing exactly the same except it being a different topic, despite telling them to stop it? Not sure if that's ironic, but I bet there is a word fitting for that.

People have legit reasons for nerfs in the Diddy Kong Era due to Up-Air, Down-Throw and F-Fair being the only moves he basically used, despite being a character which had other solid moves. Spamming Up-Air which is so fast and hits enemy in front you was hilarious broken. I think Diddy Kong Up-Air was at one point maybe the best move in the game, it has range, frame data and power.

Shiek isn't broken btw, I think people legit only want to change the Needles and Up-B from her and that's it. WIth her miserable damage output even if she can F-Air you often, who cares? It is the "unpunishable" Up-B and them Needles for there speed which needs to be nerfed. (Special Note: Due to new shield mechanics, needles might doesn't need a change)

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
I don't get the point complaining about complainers. Aren't you doing exactly the same except it being a different topic, despite telling them to stop it? Not sure if that's ironic, but I bet there is a word fitting for that.

People have legit reasons for nerfs in the Diddy Kong Era due to Up-Air, Down-Throw and F-Fair being the only moves he basically used, despite being a character which had other solid moves. Spamming Up-Air which is so fast and hits enemy in front you was hilarious broken. I think Diddy Kong Up-Air was at one point maybe the best move in the game, it has range, frame data and power.

Shiek isn't broken btw, I think people legit only want to change the Needles and Up-B from her and that's it. WIth her miserable damage output even if she can F-Air you often, who cares? It is the "unpunishable" Up-B and them Needles for there speed which needs to be nerfed. (Special Note: Due to new shield mechanics, needles might doesn't need a change)
I'm not complaining because they are complaining, I'm complaining because their uneducated opinions seem to have an affect on patches. Also I guess you didn't play Brawl competitively? Because I don't throw around the word broken unless it's about brawl MK.

Last edited:

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
It's because replays aren't actually coded as VODs, they're saved as a set of inputs that occurred on the match. When you load up a replay, you're booting up those inputs to simulate the match under given conditions (characters, stage etc).

If you try to load up a replay from a previous patch in an updated version of the game (in a version that had frame data changes), you're going to end up with errors since the simulation won't behave as it supposed to, that's why in order to bypass this, the devs purposely made outdated replays unplayable.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Thanks to this character, I lost my 1.1.1 replays
well, because in a videogame it's more important watching more and more their own replays than playing, of course.

And no, thanks to the dev team, not to this character. And finally, if you have lost your replays it's all your fault, because we all know this bug would have been fixed very soon, and even there was an announcement 3 days before the patch which warned us that a bug fix was imminent. Back to August, they gave you the possibility to post your replays on Youtube. So, if you didn't do it, it's only your fault

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
well, because in a videogame it's more important watching more and more their own replays than playing, of course.
It is actually important to watch your own replays.
Many people do it in order to spot their mistakes/bad habits/improve

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman

And no, thanks to the dev team, not to this character. And finally, if you have lost your replays it's all your fault, because we all know this bug would have been fixed very soon, and even there was an announcement 3 days before the patch which warned us that a bug fix was imminent. Back to August, they gave you the possibility to post your replays on Youtube. So, if you didn't do it, it's only your fault
When you turn on super smash bros, it updates automatically and it did it in less than a second. About the replay thing, you do know it's a limit of 3 minutes right?

The Hoo Hah

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have high quality wallpapers of Diddy, preferably in portrait so I can use them on my iPhone? (Diddy with barrels or the popgun explosion are my favorite.)

Top Bottom