• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Practice using the banana first. There's no point in grabbing it otherwise other than to play keep away and use arrows while holding it. You can use the banana to glide-toss into or away from Diddy (throwing it up in the air gives you and him something to be distracted by, while also moving away from him...)

Something I do is glidetoss away aiming the banana up and shooting an arrow promptly after. Or two. Depends if they go after the banana or plan to use their own. Mix this up and figure out how he is going to approach. If he doesn't approach, just shoot him or regrab the banana you threw.

You can also interrupt some of his aerials with a banana toss to fair, amongst other things.

I would iterate some more points on banana usage and go on to spacing a bit more but I'm about to leave to go home for the break finally. I might come back to this later.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Sorry, bad-cop, but you're going to have to turn your badge in if you think LOLing at everything is a good warrant for arrest.
I lol'd at this. Hope the popo didn't see. Krystedez gettin it in on felix.

Can Diddy do anything against uair/arrow planking? I MM'd a Diddy yesterday and that pretty much shut him down.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
krystadez having better tournament results than me? that's a ****ing joke.

you should MM ADHD. I want to see how badly you get *****. Or if you have the balls to come to WA you'll just lose all your money. :D

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party

you should MM ADHD. I want to see how badly you get *****. Or if you have the balls to come to WA you'll just lose all your money. :D
WA ****ing sucks lmao

:059:

Krystedez

Awaken the Path

Well I've already played ADHD before (back a few months at Nope's Showdown), but he refused to play diddy in our friendlies. I wish I had MM'd him but my john was being at my Dad's house. He doesn't approve of that.

Wyatt's a cool dude though.

As for you... What are you getting at anyways?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master

dude you are a ****ing idiot. i can't even believe you told someone who is not even power ranked to do that with ADHD. why don't you ask a ranked pit like koolaid or sagemoon to do that? of course no one here would beat the best diddy in all liklihood because he is better than most people (including dumb ****s like yourself) at brawl. just because you both main diddy don't think someone like YOU will do just as good as him. honestly just the fact that you said "you should MM ADHD" instead of challenging him yourself shows that you yourself cannot back up your own **** and have to rely on the hope that a player who is FAR superior to not only yourself (especially yourself since you are just another diddy when compared to him) but than anyone here not named koolaid or sagemoon. i mean im a huge fan of ADHD even tho im a pit main and acknowledge that he would kick my ***. however when 2 people of EVEN skill go against each other it is 50:50 according to those with experiance in the MU (which since all you've done is troll like a stupid **** i doubt you have).

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'm power ranked.

(with Wario)

:)

But I will soon be playing with Pit/Wario in coming tourneys and I'll jump down INKY's throats if I don't get Pit put on my use-list. :p

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i didn't know u are power ranked. thats pretty schweet man! sry if it seemed like i was saying your not good. i know u are. but stupid trolls just piss me off especially when they don't back up there arguements. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: so annoying.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
nah you made some valid points though, it's all cool. Just keep it cool, people like Felix just try to get people's goat.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
Sagemoon doesn't play the game anymore. he hasn't for a year. you would have known if you're heads weren't up your *****. Sagemoon and I both talked about the matchup and agreed it's in diddy's favor in case you wanted to know.

I know the pit matchup, and I'd be happy to MM you for any amount. I just thought that ADHD would be more accessible considering that he travels more.

ADHD's not insanely better than me. look at recent tournaments dumb pit mains. :D

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Why don't you SHOW us your performance, then we might take you a little more seriously. Except... We can't even keep it civil anymore with you because:

You call people names, troll, flame, and bait people with your incredibly misinformed and lackluster posts.
You come up with the stupidest excuses for everything you say that doesn't make sense.
Your attitude and egotistical reproach makes absolutely everything you post sound hilarious.

Also, dude, you just contradicted yourself. If he doesn't play anymore, what does it matter what "you" and Sagemoon think about the MU? Old shiz is old shiz, amirite? So no, we don't care to know, really :/ The general consensus is that it's even, and some even think it's postive for Pit. But I know better than that, Diddy is high tier for a reason. (But I honestly think it's just about as good as with Wario, which for me is positive)

In fact, why are we bringing this up? This thread is meant for the current metagame advancement and matchup adjustment. I don't really know what you're trying to prove, Felix, other than that you're a complete troll. Please give us something to go on rather than this back-and-forth charade you created. I'd gladly discuss the finer points of the matchup that you disagree on if you were to actually THINK instead of just SAY stuff.

Oh and I'd gladly MM if I somehow come out to that region. (WA? ... um... lol) But yea.

Coffee™

I need it....
I think this whole argument is stupid, from both sides. Anyway, Pit has a lot of Up B stuff that helps with bananas. I honestly don't remember specifics as I haven't had a reason to pratice this matchup in a while but you guys should probably look into it though instead of arguing about pointless ****....

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Finally, I was just thinking it'd be nice if we had something to discuss like that instead of like 1 or 2 randoms walking in talking out of their ***.

I'm not sure what stuff you can do with WoI and the bananas, the windboxes effect them in someway I would guess. and you can do WoI after tossing a banana down and slipping the opponent.

Coffee™

I need it....
Felix isn't exactly a random Krystedez. His Pit was pretty good before he stopped playing him so for the most part he knows what he is talking about and as far as I can see he hasn't said anything I'd hugely disagree with aside from him actually flaming people. To an extent I can see why though since a lot of Pit players tend to talk out of their ***** though, thats why I stopped posting here a long time ago.

As far as the WoI stuff I mentioned goes. I know there are some old matches of myself versus Advent Lee when he still played Diddy that showed some stuff, so you can check those out if you want.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
Wingdashing is only good for picking bananas up. it has no other application than being a poor escape. it pushes people too far away to punish anything after you do it.

I still keep remembering that you said pit's up throw was a viable kill move in the pit-diddy matchup. LOL too good.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I can see he hasn't said anything I'd hugely disagree with aside from him actually flaming people.
Except that he didn't respond with anything back as useful backup for what he disagrees with for the majority of the topic. That's what I don't get. But it's whatever.

I can agree though that wingdashing's applications aren't really suited for bananas. They're better for Snake's nades or something. Bananas are better to just play keep away with. At the same token though, it wouldn't hurt to practice WoI-footstooling Diddy with banana throws or something. I don't think it works into anything useful though... Meh. *goes to hook his wii up*

Coffee™

I need it....
Wingdashing is only good for picking bananas up. it has no other application than being a poor escape. it pushes people too far away to punish anything after you do it.

I still keep remembering that you said pit's up throw was a viable kill move in the pit-diddy matchup. LOL too good.
What are you talking about? I never said Pit's Up throw was viable for killing any character.... ever. :glare:

It wasn't Wingdashing that I was talking about. It was something along the lines of using Up B OoS after Diddy hits Pit's shield with a banana. I think doing that and using an aerial like Fair, Bair or Nair caught the banana, but like I said I'm not entirely sure.

Also as far as I'm concerned wingdashing isn't good versus Diddy at all.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
the only thing you're going to useful doing that krystedez is the footstool infinite with a banana that any person can do with any character with enough practice. good luck using it in game tho.....

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
Separated my opinions into categories

STAGE CONTROL: Both characters screw up each others standard stage control games. Pits arrows help him to contest bananas and fragment Diddy's momentum which is quite important for Diddy. Diddy however can captalize on a mistake better than Pit with his combos and strong grab game. When planking Pit obviously doesn't need stage control as does very well. Diddy probably has the slight edge here with LGL. Pit without LGL.

AERIAL GAME: Diddy outranges Pit with fair and so can generally space him horizontally. Juggling wise, both can be juggled fairly easily with poor down aerials but Pit is a superior juggler with his wide hitting up air for spacing and his down air adding an extra mixup when baiting the airdodge. Pretty even

GIMPING: Pits arrows can obviously eat Diddy's jump and punish any need to his UP B. However Pit's moves don't often send enemies at the right angle to have to use vertical recoveries and Diddy is okay at recovering horizontally. Diddy can gimp Pit's UP B but has problems getting Pit to that stage. Arrows and a glide to the stage are normally enough to make it back and Diddy cannot chase a Pit going to the other side of the stage well. Pretty even

KO power: Pit has greater KO power but it is much harder to land. The Kill setups Pit gains from Diddy's banana obviously require a banana in Pit's control in the first place and the forward glidetoss is often pretty telegraphed. However F-Smash always has been and still is a good kill move when fresh amd will kill earilier than anything Diddy will land. However Diddys' banana to D-Smash is very good and much easier to land. Once again pretty even.

I think the matchup's pretty 50:50 but wouldn't be suprised if it were 55-45 either way, which is in line with what's been said in this thread. No-one's suggested any other ratios.

Feel free to disagree but let's stay constructive.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
What are you talking about? I never said Pit's Up throw was viable for killing any character.... ever. :glare:

It wasn't Wingdashing that I was talking about. It was something along the lines of using Up B OoS after Diddy hits Pit's shield with a banana. I think doing that and using an aerial like Fair, Bair or Nair caught the banana, but like I said I'm not entirely sure.

Also as far as I'm concerned wingdashing isn't good versus Diddy at all.
I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about krystadez when he said up throw was a good pit kill move in the pit vs. diddy matchup. >_>

@ krystadez: I'm sorry for not explaining the stupid things that you said because I thought it was common sense that people should know some things about the character/game they are playing but apparently not in your case. you don't know when you say something that is so wrong it's funny.

Wingdashing is good if you're running towards a banana and don't want to take the time to stop and pick it up. then you shield or glidetoss out of it. i'm not sure if the up b will catch bananas if you do a fair or something out of it. it's a good way to catch people off guard because they never expect you to up b.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Felix, you don't know when you say something that is so wrong it's funny. I feel like since you walked into this topic you've not explained a bit of what you've replied to my posts with, because you can't, not because of me. It doesn't make sense... to anyone...

And did I say something about Pit's u-throw? I don't remember saying that.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
nice job trying to use my own insults against me. be more creative plz.

Can't talk to baddies anymore. wasting by time. k bye

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
stupid double post. smashboards is such a ****ty forum. almost as bad as the aib forums with these people. lmao

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
These people meaning people like you who troll and don't take anything seriously, right?

Don't deny it.

Anyways, getting back on topic instead of making more of my posts directed to someone who can't prove or back up anything, gunna reply to Damix:
Separated my opinions into categories

STAGE CONTROL: Both characters screw up each others standard stage control games. Pits arrows help him to contest bananas and fragment Diddy's momentum which is quite important for Diddy. Diddy however can captalize on a mistake better than Pit with his combos and strong grab game. When planking Pit obviously doesn't need stage control as does very well. Diddy probably has the slight edge here with LGL. Pit without LGL.
I think that LGL doesn't really change a LOT of things, Pit can still plank/psuedo-plank/scrooge to gain a bit of momentum and level his head, as long as he's not doing it every other minute. Beyond that, I don't see Pit really NEEDING to plank that much in this matchup, so much as he needs to stay in the air right above bananas, or use them himself.

AERIAL GAME: Diddy outranges Pit with fair and so can generally space him horizontally. Juggling wise, both can be juggled fairly easily with poor down aerials but Pit is a superior juggler with his wide hitting up air for spacing and his down air adding an extra mixup when baiting the airdodge. Pretty even
Fair is decent, I like it's range, but I consider it telegraphed at times, but other times it's just easy to block and grab/punish. Otherwise, it's a great move and it's probably his one aerial, next to monkey flip attack that gives Pit most trouble.

GIMPING: Pits arrows can obviously eat Diddy's jump and punish any need to his UP B. However Pit's moves don't often send enemies at the right angle to have to use vertical recoveries and Diddy is okay at recovering horizontally. Diddy can gimp Pit's UP B but has problems getting Pit to that stage. Arrows and a glide to the stage are normally enough to make it back and Diddy cannot chase a Pit going to the other side of the stage well. Pretty even
I agree somewhat, if one character is going to gimp the other, the other is perfectly capable of doing it too, it's just sorta whether one gets the other to a point of gimping. Pit's forward throw is decently fast and good knockback left and right, and can result in Diddy getting lower-stage, other than that it's hard, you're right.

KO power: Pit has greater KO power but it is much harder to land. The Kill setups Pit gains from Diddy's banana obviously require a banana in Pit's control in the first place and the forward glidetoss is often pretty telegraphed. However F-Smash always has been and still is a good kill move when fresh amd will kill earilier than anything Diddy will land. However Diddys' banana to D-Smash is very good and much easier to land. Once again pretty even.
Agreed.

I think the matchup's pretty 50:50 but wouldn't be suprised if it were 55-45 either way, which is in line with what's been said in this thread. No-one's suggested any other ratios.
If it's in anyone's favor, it's going to be in the player who does better on FD than the other, and that's the only time I think 55-45 would in place. I like to think Diddy is sometimes at a disadvantage from time to time based on his style; if they're exceptionally well at banana drop/traps, they're going to pressure Pit much better, making it 50-50, or 55-45 on FD for Diddy. If Pit is able to grab the bananas and use them/play keep away and read well, it can be 55-45 for Pit on FD.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
I think that LGL doesn't really change a LOT of things, Pit can still plank/psuedo-plank/scrooge to gain a bit of momentum and level his head, as long as he's not doing it every other minute. Beyond that, I don't see Pit really NEEDING to plank that much in this matchup, so much as he needs to stay in the air right above bananas, or use them himself.
Yeah, the difference between an LGL or not isn't that important actually. I just feel much more comfortable on the ledge than coming down with Diddy's trying to punish landing lag.

If it's in anyone's favor, it's going to be in the player who does better on FD than the other, and that's the only time I think 55-45 would in place. I like to think Diddy is sometimes at a disadvantage from time to time based on his style; if they're exceptionally well at banana drop/traps, they're going to pressure Pit much better, making it 50-50, or 55-45 on FD for Diddy. If Pit is able to grab the bananas and use them/play keep away and read well, it can be 55-45 for Pit on FD.
Out of interest, where do people generally counterpick Diddy to, assuming a consevative stage list (i.e. no Norfair or RC?)

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Yeah, the difference between an LGL or not isn't that important actually. I just feel much more comfortable on the ledge than coming down with Diddy's trying to punish landing lag.

Out of interest, where do people generally counterpick Diddy to, assuming a consevative stage list (i.e. no Norfair or RC?)
Anywhere that isn't FD.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I usually cp diddy to BF, whether I play ike or pit. You can have an easier time grabbing one of his bananas thanks to the plarforms.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
I'm a fan of going to Delfino just cos if you do get caught in UP B recovering is a lot easier

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Well, I agree the Diddy vs. Pit match up is pretty even. 50-50 in my opinion.

As long as Pit can stay in the air well, and guard against bananas, you're in a pretty good spot. But that alone won't win the game, although it's good if you CAN use and block Diddy's Bananas.

In close range combat, I think Pit wins that war. The only moves that Diddy outrange's us with are his Ftilt and infinite jab. Other than that, we can out range most of his moves. You mostly just have to predict Bananas and punish accordingly. Remember: WoI canceling over a Banana will have you automatically grab it, good if you don't want to stop and grab it, and aren't that good with the dash grab timing.

For Aerial game, I basically just agree with this:
In my opinion, this Match Up is 50-50. Both characters have things that work on each other really well, so it's pretty even.

Also, the comment that Uair can kill is correct....... Except that the opponent has to be, like, over 200%, and if he dies before 200% from that move it's just due to bad DI. Only characters I can think of that can die below 200% from Uair are the really floaty ones, like Jigglypuff, but even then, they have to be at a pretty high percentage.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, now that you did bump this super old thing of mine, I forgot to mention and wanted to say that I wish to resign from my position due to my high possibility of retirement (probably will anyways), so I won't be able to help anymore. I apologize, but again, I did try back then for a few months, and even that didn't work.

EDIT: But you are able to use my ancient research I've put up already for MU stuff if you wish.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Guy's Diddy kong is like a new character to me sometimes. How do you deal with bananas???

I like to shield them, but then sometimes I slip anyways!! :( I hear there's this thing where you can catch a bananas thrown at you and throw it right back! I think it's called z catching or instant toss or something. When they are on the ground I like to jump up with down air and pick them up as I go up. That's just me. How do you guys pick up bananas? Did you know you can pick them up by wing dashing? Cool stuff!

Diddy is light so he dies from fsmash at like 135% so we gotta save our fsmash for when he is at that percent. I like to punish his stuff with dsmash. Also glide toss to dsmash works wonders. Glide toss to shield grab is great too. What do you guys do after glide tossing?

His dash attack is a kartwheel, lol.

So peanuts, how annoying are they for you guys? We can just shoot arrows through them ya know. I love discussing matchups especially this one because Diddy Kong makes me crave a peanutbutter and banana sandwich, haha. But anyways, back to business. Some strong parts of this matchup are about killing Diddy. He can be a slippery monkey, but I think there is a strong untapped part of killing him in gimping. But I have my secrets, not sure if I trust you guys with them...

I always like to throw out a surprise angel ring when a diddy thinks he can punish my landing with banana. That puts me in the good position because I possess the banana and he is tripped.

One thing about Diddy's recovery is that the barrels have like nooooo priority so that is a good part of killing him by gimping that jetpack. Angel ring beats it so we could just hop off the stage with angel ring and block him from the ledge to gimp him.

OR OR OR, this is my secret, but I trust you guys not to tell anyone. Don't let the darkness getcha. So serious stuff here, we as Pit mains need to start wing refresh chasing WITH A BANANA IN OUR HANDS. We can throw that nanner at his barrel whenever he pulls it out while trying to recover and the best part is we can use wing fresh to just chillax in the air sipping on a pina colada until he decides to use up b. He won't be able to recover with a second up b once the first one is gimped, trust ya boi.

One thing I've been thinking about learning is the infinite. The japanese are so much better than us at everything and they are defensive and are smarter and are so technical and stuff. They probably know how to do the infinite in their sleep so maybe we should stop being lazy and get our tech skill down. It's like an ICs chaingrab if we can pull if off consistently I mean CMAWN GAIS free kills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom