• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Matchup: Diddy Kong

This matchup will drive you bananas!
Right, jokes aside, Diddy's naner game make him a big threat on the ground.

Now, we can reflect them, but a good Diddy could Bait us into using our reflectors, whether it be Mirror Shield or Angel Ring, he may not throw the naner at us, but will still glidetoss towards us and attack.
Now, we can do pretty decent with some ledgecamping, but we can't do that forever, as you already know.

If we do control a naner, keep in mind that Pit's glidetoss sends him quite far, just about more than half of FD. Sometimes we can glidetoss to Fsmash or Dsmash at the right distance.

For range, it's just about even, though Diddy's F-air really beats Pit (I still don't see how a Foot outprioritizes a blade). Actually I think Diddy just has a slightly longer range than Pit.

Okay, for gimping, Diddy to Pit, Diddy has peanut gun and naners to throw at him from long range, and can knock him outta his glide if connected. Pit can shoot arrows as he's recovering, so the Diddy has to be careful. The diddy should also try to use F-air, for it does pretty decently at KOing and has some priorities over Pit.
Also, Pit really can't recover that well against spikes since he has that hitstun, and really can't do meteor cancels compared to other characters (say like Bowser). He really won't come back if he gets knocks outta his last mid-air jump, since Up-B won't the knockback momentum.
For Pit's Up-B, all Diddy has to do is hit him, whether it be an F-air, or even dropping a Naner on him.

For Gimping, Pit to Diddy, Pit gots arrows, and should try to pressure the Diddy with them. Diddy has Side-B to help him recover better. Shoot arrows if you can. The Diddy can also use Side-B when lower than the stage platform, for he can still use Up-B. Usually Diddy would try recovering from a low height as it is.
Against Diddy's Up-B, if he's in range of ur arrows, shoot him, and watch out for the rocket barrel pack, just in case it might randomly come towards you and hurt you. You can edgehog Diddy, but time it right. He can hit u off the ledge and he'll grab the ledge. Time it right, and he will most likely hit the stage instead and fall to lose a stock. Try timing an L or R to roll back to the stage, and Diddy could still hit the stage and fall.

Somewhere around these lines, the matchup had been considered 50:50 even.
More info is needed.

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
Diddy has some major major points in this matchup. I mean talk about gimping. Can that peanut really stop him from upBing again??!

I must try that

that reflector is very annoying though but thats just cause I'm a scrub :3. lol

45-55 diddy boys.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
abuse those jumps, stick to the air.

a nice general approach is dair, an alternative would be dtilt (if diddy approaches)
sends diddy upwards, which sets up for uair.

make sure to avoid the bananas, as always.
tripping sucks, and it sucks even more when it happens at a constant rate.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
It's been said, but our glide toss is a beast. Giving us items to work with is nice, just careful to be the one controlling the naners.

I only have a little Diddy experience, unfortunately.

If he's silly enough to toss nanas out when you can punish him for it, use AR. If you hit the banana in the air while he's tossing it, it's momentum won't change, but it'll belong to you.

WoI projectile cancel is totally useless in this matchup. If you're the kind of person who likes to use it, don't. Everything cuts right through.

Diddy's up-b seems easy to stage spike with bair, but watch out for stray barrels. There's probably a safer option.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
I think this matchup is 55-45 in Diddy's advantage. Pit isn't the best aerial character, and can't pressure as well as mk. He's too slow on the ground to face diddy and get any kind of advantage. Pit can actually Wingdash over bananas to end the wingdash on the banana and he will pick it up because you cancel a windash with an aerial. It's pretty helpful in this matchup, along with his glidetoss. Also, pit can camp the ledge very well, and there is very little diddy can do. These are my thoughts overall.

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
yeah the only thing insane pit has against diddy is planking which is mostly banned

its terribly annoying with pit

SH from ledge arrows

SH from ledge uair

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
Once you get controll of his nanas, he cannot win this matchup.
Usually ppl that does not have much of a experience against them should think that this is a impossible matchup. But it is not, once you get rid of the nannas, your spacing is better, your pressuring is better, your projectiles are better and your counterpicks are better.

The only mistake that you can make is to fall down for some bannanas, witch is not so difficult to happen, once a good diddy should know how to do.

I would say 55:45 for pit advantage.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
/\

A good diddy won't let you get control of his bananas. He will pressure you until you are vulnerable, or will play defensive and wait for you to make a mistake so he can quickly punish. It's not like he's gonna give you both of his bananas. You can EASILY regain control. Pit isn't a good character, and has virtually NO kill setups. 55-45 diddy kong.

Coffee™

I need it....
/\

A good diddy won't let you get control of his bananas. He will pressure you until you are vulnerable, or will play defensive and wait for you to make a mistake so he can quickly punish. It's not like he's gonna give you both of his bananas. You can EASILY regain control. Pit isn't a good character, and has virtually NO kill setups. 55-45 diddy kong.
Diddy can't really play against a Pit defensively. Tbh this match is "kinda" simple. Just play it near the edge and/or platforms and whenever you feel too pressured, just jump. Pit also has alot of stuff on Diddy if he gets him offstage so I don't really see how Diddy can have the advantage. He can't play his usual game with Pit at all.

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
R@vn and Admiral sum it up pretty well. Diddy has an advantage on stage against Pit, but its doable. try to maintain control of a bannana and with retreating fairs diddy has to try to get around that meaning hes probably going to start going to that air where pit has the upperhand. if your feeling pressured get to the edge and play that game. Diddy is a momentum based character. take away that by making make new choices works in Pits favor.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
and.... you guys are still idiots. pit never got better. deal with it. :D

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
/\

Instead of telling people they're idiots and theorycrafting with no evidence of such happening at the same time (wow, double whammy), why don't you do something more productive?

First off, why the !@#$ would a Pit just let Diddy pressure him, there is no vulnerability against Diddy if you're staying in the air. Diddy can not play defensive very well because Pit can shoot arrows and doesn't even need that many reads to catch Diddy in a tough spot.

Even good Diddy Kongs can lose control of their bananas if they're playing a remotely decent player. All it takes is a simply z-grab in the air and viola, you've got one banana. That's enough to screw up someone's playstyle if they're relying on a banana-defense game and punishment. Pit is a better punisher in that situation. Also, did I mention that Diddy Kong's kill setups don't kill hardly anyone that earlier in the first place? His kill power is lacking.

Pit has kill setups from his arrows, from YOUR bananas, from air-pressure, and from some grabs at certain percents. Also take into effect the stage elements. If you're playing on Smashville, the platform makes a good effect on the fight in Pit's favor... If you're playing on YI, Diddy is protected more from arrows and essentially can make it hard for Pit to even get to the ground. For FD, both characters are so polarized in their defense-offense mechanisms (arrows vs bananas, or arrows and bananas vs Diddy Kong if Pit is able to grab one of them at the very least) that it may be dead even.

And that's my opinion as well, 50-50.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Instead of telling people they're idiots and theorycrafting with no evidence of such happening at the same time (wow, double whammy), why don't you do something more productive?

First off, why the !@#$ would a Pit just let Diddy pressure him, there is no vulnerability against Diddy if you're staying in the air. Diddy can not play defensive very well because Pit can shoot arrows and doesn't even need that many reads to catch Diddy in a tough spot.

Even good Diddy Kongs can lose control of their bananas if they're playing a remotely decent player. All it takes is a simply z-grab in the air and viola, you've got one banana. That's enough to screw up someone's playstyle if they're relying on a banana-defense game and punishment. Pit is a better punisher in that situation. Also, did I mention that Diddy Kong's kill setups don't kill hardly anyone that earlier in the first place? His kill power is lacking.

Pit has kill setups from his arrows, from YOUR bananas, from air-pressure, and from some grabs at certain percents. Also take into effect the stage elements. If you're playing on Smashville, the platform makes a good effect on the fight in Pit's favor... If you're playing on YI, Diddy is protected more from arrows and essentially can make it hard for Pit to even get to the ground. For FD, both characters are so polarized in their defense-offense mechanisms (arrows vs bananas, or arrows and bananas vs Diddy Kong if Pit is able to grab one of them at the very least) that it may be dead even.

agreed 50:50 and thats funny i usually beat diddy on YI for some reason guess its the large middle platform for ez sharking and easier gimps...i think its funny how pit can pick up the banana right after the glad toss cuz he lands right on it xD Pit diddy is one of the easiest A tier matchups in all honesty plankin ****s with him hard.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
if you get a banana hold it and camp arrows all day. now he can only have at most one banana and you can rack dmg, and then have a reliable kill set up with glide toss to a smash or pivot smash. the banana makes it favor of who is holding one.

St4ticFir3

Smash Cadet
55/45 Diddy. Possibly even. We can punish while he's pulling nannas, after he throws nannas, and off stage. I actually tend to gimp diddy fairly easy. Maybe I just play bad diddy's.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
am i the only one who thinks its 55:45 pit? and don't even ask if i play good diddy's or not because i play plenty of them.
I could believe it, we have a lot of tools to deal with diddy's game.
Unfortunately the Smash community generally wants to see practical evidence. With Diddy's doing so well atm, it's a hard claim to say a character, particularly one that isn't performing so well has an advantage.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Unfortunately the Smash community generally wants to see practical evidence. With Diddy's doing so well atm, it's a hard claim to say a character, particularly one that isn't performing so well has an advantage.
Is that so? you dont see dks doing well but they say its not 45:55 mk what about ganon? and ROB. and pikachus. representation has nothing to do with a characters tools. 55:45 pit or 50:50 diddy. personally i believe its 55:45 when looking at characters alone,which means not looking at stages or skill or any other such thing. 50:50 when you account for the rest. and fyi Ramen one of florida's top pits had beaten each of Fl's best diddy's in tourney.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
Is that so? you dont see dks doing well but they say its not 45:55 mk what about ganon? and ROB. and pikachus. representation has nothing to do with a characters tools. 55:45 pit or 50:50 diddy. personally i believe its 55:45 when looking at characters alone,which means not looking at stages or skill or any other such thing. 50:50 when you account for the rest. and fyi Ramen one of florida's top pits had beaten each of Fl's best diddy's in tourney.
Wasn't actually disagreeing. I think its 50:50. Just explaining attidudes like Felix's in this thread.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Wasn't actually disagreeing. I think its 50:50. Just explaining attidudes like Felix's in this thread.
ik i was kinda reinforcing it o3o tired of people being so presumptuous especially after i read half the bbr's comments.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman

Even good Diddy Kongs can lose control of their bananas if they're playing a remotely decent player.
pit is bad close range. pit has a a lot of jumps, but bad aerials to space with. LOL @ diddy can't play defensive.

the whole last part isn't true. IDK who you play with.

All it takes is a simply z-grab in the air and viola, you've got one banana. That's enough to screw up someone's playstyle if they're relying on a banana-defense game and punishment. Pit is a better punisher in that situation. Also, did I mention that Diddy Kong's kill setups don't kill hardly anyone that earlier in the first place? His kill power is lacking.
grabbing bananas = screwing up diddy's banana game? LOL
bad pit player police

how is pit better at punishing with bananas? >_>

This last paragraph was the largest amount of bull**** i've ever read. I can't even find a spot to begin to explain. I don't know if you're trying to troll me or not, but that wasn't funny.

Thank god I dropped this character 2 years ago. all the pit players are mentally challenged. :D

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
will all the douchey non pits pls gtfo? your not helping or even being even somewhat constructive so let the pit mains who want to have fun talking about a different aspect of the game that makes every person and every character main just another brawl nerd anyways :p . other non pits that have aren't trolls feel welcome to join the discussion

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
This matchup wasn't talked about for a year. pretty sure you guys don't actually care about beating diddy at all. I'm surprised krystadez is in the BBR. that's the funniest thing i've ever heard

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I actually have some Pit v Diddy experience with Count and a few good players, and I play Diddys with Pit more than I do Wario online and off since I got back into using Pit.

pit is bad close range.
Pit is not even bad close range, he has a good number of low-frame moves that work well against Diddy (since Diddy's fastest move is dsmash, a kill move needed for later, and it's super laggy afterwords). At least most of Pit's close-range options are a little less laggy, and considerably effective in range if you space well.

pit has a a lot of jumps, but bad aerials to space with.
Why exactly are his aerials bad? He has effectively one of the strongest back-airs in the game. A bair can be used against a front-facing diddy kong coming down from the air with an air-dodge, since his air-dodge, though deceivingly long, is actually vulnerable to some abuse like bair.

His f-air is great for spacing from my experience and doesn't even have bad priority, just don't rise up with it or you might get smacked by a fast-falling fair from Diddy.

His uair is great under Diddy, I don't know how to explain it's uses other than being good for punishment and disjointed-hitboxes knocking diddy in akward positions. Just don't be directly under Diddy or u-air gets beat out on top.

Nair isn't exactly a safe option for anything except racking damage in the middle of a string of aerials, just requires another well-timed mid-air hop(effectively rising up with it.)

Dair is greatest to save for a high-percent kill, but it's just as good for spacing and punishment in the air.

I'm not very convinced from you at all that Diddy can outright out-space and overcome Pit in the air, just because he has "bad aerials to space with" according to you. In fact, the only thing I see really being a threat is Diddy's fair and monkey flip attack. His bair can be squeezed in between because of low range and somewhat similar lag to Marth's fair. Diddy's fair can be punished really well if not done higher in the air.

LOL @ diddy can't play defensive.
Truthfully, I don't see why a diddy kong would think of playing defensive/campy against a pit. A PIT. Seriously. Who do you play using a defensive playstyle against an opponent that has a spammy projectile and great ledge-ability? Please englighten me, because this might actually be helpful to not just Pit users but Diddy users.

the whole last part isn't true. IDK who you play with.
Even good Diddy players will lose control of their bananas at times against other good players, not just Pit, but others in general. I don't know who YOU play with. At least I pay attention in high level play. I may not have GODS like you over here to play you know, but I've seen players just go bananas (pun intended) with them, including Pit players. Sure, a good Diddy player will not lose control of their bananas. When the Diddy player can use/keep the bananas better than the other player.

grabbing bananas = screwing up diddy's banana game? LOL
bad pit player police
Sorry, bad-cop, but you're going to have to turn your badge in if you think LOLing at everything is a good warrant for arrest.

Grabbing a banana and USING IT WELL AGAINST DIDDY is enough to screw up Diddy's banana game. Excuse me. I was just trying to iterate that simply saying "a good Diddy will never let you control his bananas" is not a good enough back-up. Of course a Diddy can lose control of his bananas, if he is facing a equal or better player. (with a character that can actually use them, like Pit.) like I said above.

I am fully aware that usually Diddy can have more options with his own bananas much better than Pit, but a player them self, with as many options as a character like Pit can offer, will at least show some sort of challenge to the monkey, and saying something like a good player will never lose control of their bananas is asinine. (unless all you play are scrubs)

This last paragraph was the largest amount of bull**** i've ever read. I can't even find a spot to begin to explain. I don't know if you're trying to troll me or not, but that wasn't funny.

Thank god I dropped this character 2 years ago. all the pit players are mentally challenged. :D
Great, I'm glad you were smart enough to drop him, because you obviously wouldn't have contributed anything noteworthy anyway, from the way you post.

If you plan to reply/contribute, quit trolling/flaming other users, just because they don't agree with you.

And just for the sake of saying it, I'd gladly money/seriously - match any Diddy Kong main to show that the matchup being 50-50 is not an unreasonable point. I'm at the point that I'm well-aware that any amount of theorycraft can be disregarded with actual results. That includes not just mine, but yours
if you had any...

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Krystedez, how do you play the Diddy matchup? I suck @ this matchup so badly. I can get control of maybe 1 banana, but I don't really know how to use it. I have no clue how to space, and I get demolished by side-b's ridiculous priority. I recently watched a Masashi vid vs Diddy & he punished side-b by shielding it, then punishing it w/ a reverse f-smash. Is that legit?

What should I practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom