• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Jab Resets - Introduction

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
So a lot of people have been wondering...
I've been spending tons of time in the lab with Diddy looking for even the tiniest piece of tech and this is what I've found so far.
Diddy can initiate a jab reset from his fthrow (missed tech obviously) with a followed up fair or ftilt
This only works at 0% (Diddys fair and ftilt do too much knockback otherwise),
and only on characters that are on the heavier and fallfallier side of the roster.

The next video will cover footstool set ups.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
So a lot of people have been wondering...
I've been spending tons of time in the lab with Diddy looking for even the tiniest piece of tech and this is what I've found so far.
Diddy can initiate a jab reset from his fthrow (missed tech obviously) with a followed up fair or ftilt
This only works at 0% (Diddys fair and ftilt do too much knockback otherwise),
and only on characters that are on the heavier and fallfallier side of the roster.

The next video will cover footstool set ups.
Can you airdodge out of the Fthrow?
Also' great video!

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Good video.
Something to note: depending on the character, sometimes they will go into tumble after the Fthrow, and sometimes they wont. The characters that this works on do go into tumble, which means if they miss the tech this will work. However, if they DI the throw upwards, they can usually either jump out of it or throw out an attack. If they airdodge and DI up, they suffer landing lag. If they airdodge without DI, it'll just be a tech, which can be Faired if timed right.

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
would a pivot ftilt to lock do anything unique? (at any point where ftilt is used to lock)

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
would a pivot ftilt to lock do anything unique? (at any point where ftilt is used to lock)
Im not 100% sure, Im rubbish at consistently perfect pivoting so I couldn't put it in the video, but I'd assume you would just get the third bounce and an additional 10% onto the combo, assuming the last ftilt doesnt knock them out of the reset.
Ill do some more testing over the weekend and report back

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
Im not 100% sure, Im rubbish at consistently perfect pivoting so I couldn't put it in the video, but I'd assume you would just get the third bounce and an additional 10% onto the combo, assuming the last ftilt doesnt knock them out of the reset.
Ill do some more testing over the weekend and report back
ah I didn't mean perfect pivoting, I meant like pivoting mid run and canceling the skid with ftilt, a hip check, but perfect pivoting to get the third lock would be interesting

Sonicninja115

@ Pogoshark Pogoshark This is great! You can also jab lock with ftilit after a side-b kick if they miss the tech.
Is that beginning, medium or end? in other words, do you kick as soon as possible or do you wait until you are in the middle of the MFK or do you wait until the last few input frames?

Sonicninja115

so is the new-haa real? im getting a lot of mixed signals about this. i'd check but i don't have a set up.
The New-Haa is very real, I have a list of percents in the Combo Thread, I am thinking of posting it in it's own thread to clear the mixed reactions. What do you think?

dskank

Smash Journeyman
The New-Haa is very real, I have a list of percents in the Combo Thread, I am thinking of posting it in it's own thread to clear the mixed reactions. What do you think?
i guess im just wondering why no one was using it at paragon, always opting for dair mix-ups then upthrow-fair/bair at higher percents. the upthrow->dair seems way less consistent than a guaranteed 29%.

Sonicninja115

i guess im just wondering why no one was using it at paragon, always opting for dair mix-ups then upthrow-fair/bair at higher percents. the upthrow->dair seems way less consistent than a guaranteed 29%.
It is very new, about 4-5 weeks. and it is true that it wasn't used at paragon. However, ZeRo did use it at PAX, not on Vinnie or any other high level player but on a local player. I am guessing that he was just testing it out as He has said that He didn't practice much after EVO.

Sonicninja115

is it death to new haa near ledge(side b off stage)? do you have to strong side b or does it ork with weak side b as well?
I am pretty sure it is strong, you have to do it so fast that the MFK strong/weak input is hard to get so I am assuming strong. Did you look at Orockets video's in the combo thread?

http://smashboards.com/threads/diddy-kong-combo-thread.410908/#post-19914306

Could you also ask any more questions you have about the New-Haa in the combo thread? I have had to explain it multiple times and never in the combo thread, thus, people can't find info on it and ask if it works and the cycle continues. No hard feelings, this thread is just supposed to be for Jab resetting.

Last edited:

Orocket

Smash Cadet
Is that beginning, medium or end? in other words, do you kick as soon as possible or do you wait until you are in the middle of the MFK or do you wait until the last few input frames?
You have to kick immediately and you have to start the side b near them, that way when they miss the tech and you land, you are close enough to ftilit and lock them.

Top Bottom