• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy is only so good now because nobody played Brawl Diddy. An Anti Diddy hate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, have to get this off my chest, as this Diddy hate is getting out of the hand.

People complain about Diddy now because they really have no idea how to fight against him. Diddy was Top Tier in Brawl, but he had one glaring weakness many Top Players don't generally like: he had problems finishing people off. I personally did play a lot of :diddy:, and I can testify that outside of D Air gimps, or a lucky hit with F Smash or if you keep F Air unused that Diddy had a hard time finishing off. He builds up damage like no other, but finishing was his problem. Now this only glaring weakness is adjusted in :4diddy:, people pick him up, get gud with him, discover a true combo that can kill easily, and everyone loses their minds.

Is it me, because I truely do not see Diddy as 100% the best character in the game. I feel for example that :4zss::4shulk::4sonic::4lucario::4sheik::rosalina: do have about the same potential as Diddy has. But Diddy is just a lot less technical than them, as all those other characters do take a lot of skill.

However, I do not see this as much different on how the Melee metagame started. :sheikmelee: for example is way easier to use than the likes of :foxmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee:, and this is extremely apperant in the earlier Tier Lists.

The fact that Top Players now use :4diddy: extremely well is probably because of matchup experience in Brawl. As M2K even stated before that :diddy: was definitely a counter to :metaknight:, as he kept losing to :diddy:. With the nerfs :4metaknight: got, it's logical many Top Players will look for another veteran who is mostly untouched. And :4diddy: seems just like that.

I will predict that a :4diddy: player will indeed win APEX, but this is mostly the fault of the Smash fanbase who refused to use:diddy: in Brawl and sticked mostly to :metaknight:. This :metaknight: whoring, as well as claiming to :foxmelee: and :falcomelee: so much in the previous "hype" called Project M, combining with the fact that nobody played as :diddy: is the very reason why :4diddy: domineers right now.

I said my 2cents now on this matter. Kong out. :4diddy:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Plenty of people used Diddy in brawl.
For how high he was on the Tier List on Brawl, I felt not too many people played Diddy. Gnes, Ninjalink and ADHD did reasonably with him, but he was mostly a niche pick. There where far more Marth, Snake and Falco players compared to Diddy, even though they didn't preform as well.

etecoon

Smash Hero
As M2K even stated before that :diddy: was definitely a counter to :metaknight:, as he kept losing to :diddy:.
He didn't want his main banned/doesn't like admitting that he's using a character that's clearly way better than the rest of the cast, a lot of MK players were in denial just like M2K and ZeRo are now saying that Sheik is actually the best character. We actually went through a lot of different phases with that where top MK players would say things like

"MK loses to perfect camping Olimar"

"MK goes even with Snake"

"MK loses to Diddy"

"MK goes even with ICs"

All of which wasn't true or needed the stagelist to be whittled down to like three stages to be kind of accurate

With the nerfs :4metaknight: got, it's logical many Top Players will look for another veteran who is mostly untouched. And :4diddy: seems just like that.
Most of the cast got nerfed, even the bad characters got notable nerfs for some reason. Diddy got buffed and wound up being the best character in the game, the best character is always going to be a magnet for both top players that want to win money and for lower level players that don't want to go to tournaments just to go two and out. The bottom line is that everyone likes winning and the best tools for accomplishing that will become prolific at every level in every game. You can't blame the players for doing what players predictably do, it's a problem of game design when you have a character that eclipses the rest.

Sheik is at least as similar to Brawl as Diddy is if not much more so, she plays basically the same except now with bouncing fish, ledge trumping, and the rest of the cast having fewer legit disjointed brickwalls that can take advantage of her poor priority. Same playstyle but it works better. Diddy in Brawl had a nearly unapproachable defense with nanners and the best shield in the game where he's now more based on fishing for grabs and aerial follow ups and fair overpowering almost anything your opponent tries to throw out(existed in Brawl to some extent but see what I said about Sheik and disjoints, Diddy fair got better relative to the rest of the cast). Sonic is another example that you say has the same potential as Diddy, same general playstyle as Brawl and he's a more popular character than Diddy to begin with, there were a lot of Sonic players even when he wasn't very good. Diddy isn't pulling away from the pack because he's an untouched veteran.

I will predict that a :4diddy: player will indeed win APEX, but this is mostly the fault of the Smash fanbase who refused to use:diddy: in Brawl and sticked mostly to :metaknight:. This :metaknight: whoring, as well as claiming to :foxmelee: and :falcomelee: so much in the previous "hype" called Project M, combining with the fact that nobody played as :diddy: is the very reason why :4diddy: domineers right now.
You can't defend Diddy bandwaggoning in this game saying "it's the MK/space animal whores fault", they're the same people and implies that Diddy occupies a similar position of power as an MK or Fox from previous games. When you have the tools to dominate neutral, good follow up potential, a mobile special that allows you to get out of pressure, and a throw that sets up a BS kill attack that can kill earlier than a lot of the heavyweights attacks, that's called being really freaking good. I don't think you can attribute that to people not knowing the matchup, with the nanner nerf Diddy isn't really as quirky to fight against as he was in Brawl, he's just straight up better than the competition

edit: the verb is ok but the noun gets censored, wtf smashboards

Last edited:

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
There's already a Diddy Hate/Defense thread. I'm sure it's stickied. Surely all hate/defense threads should just start off as posts there.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
These kinds of threads are kind of overplayed at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom