• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Hump

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I had another question about Diddy today. His left/right B, aka the "Diddy Hump". More importantly, the hump in used with spiking. While it does look pretty cool to jump n' hump (easy setup for a thats what she said joke) to spike someone down, exactly when is it practical? I mean, to attach to their face you have to touch them before he finishes his backflip, as after that point he wont do any latching. At that distance, not only can you get hit by a fair from someone, but you have to be relatively close to the character out in space to even start the move. if you miss you could be in a bad spot, and by the time you charge your up-b enough to get back to the platform, your opponent could already be edgehogging you, and his up B wont hit the opponent off the ledge in time for you to grab, as you just either bounce off the stage, or go rocketing into a charged smash attack

dan smith

Smash Champion
The hump is pretty fast, and I'd say it out ranges most fairs. Actually, I don't quite understand the hump range, as in, how close you can latch. My use of the hump spike, however, has to do with holding on for as long as possible before jumping, and then, trying to spike them again with the rockets or simply fair them to their doom. Also, Diddy's recovery can get back from...practically anywhere. I mean, if you watch it's application in the videos, that kind of explains everything.

I will say that it might not be the best tactic. Fair...is, really good.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
if you knock someone off the platform horizontally, and they are almost aligned with the platform but from a distance, that's when you do it. when they are below the platform, don't bother. characters like pit and dedede who have no problem aligning themselves with the platform edge horizontally are the characters you'll find more use for it, esp dedede as long as you hump him before he gets within range to use his Up-B properly

okor

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I have had a question about this move since I started trying to play Diddy. For the life of me, I can not get Diddy to grab with this move in the air. It is very frustrating! He always just passes right through them. Any tips on how to do this more effectively?

Croyt

Smash Rookie
hmm

I main Diddy, and as of today I finall succeeded in doing a diddy hump edge guard. It is very useful and easy against tall characters. For example, today I couldn't do it to Mario at all, but I used it on Ike and Snake perfectly. You have to predict where they are going in the air and aim as high as possible.

On snake it's really easy. Since his up B is just straight up, you have to time it just right

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
again, i believe the hump range is until he completes his backflip. Ill have to do some extensvie testing when i get home and get back to you on that

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Anyway, The hump wont latch on after the backflip is done. I believe the latest it will latch is when his sprite is literally upside down (why i dont know). It also wont latch if you are right next to the person. you just go right through.

davemg

Smash Rookie
After you successfully hump do you have to press any directio nor controls to throw them down, can you throw them other directions?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
After you successfully hump do you have to press any directio nor controls to throw them down, can you throw them other directions?

As far as i know, you can only hit them with A, or just jump off their head

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
So when you get in the Hump animation, do you just press the jump buttons or just jab till he lets go on his own?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
So when you get in the Hump animation, do you just press the jump buttons or just jab till he lets go on his own?
you can either hit A, to hit him once, or jump, to jump off his head. if you hit A, he will let go on his own

Cronos_1

Smash Rookie
I have a question. Does Hitting A spike as well as just jumping off? I've noticed that jumping off from what I've seen in the video's sends you a nice distance vertically but is it the best spike?

I haven't actually tried to Diddy Hump Spike so that's why I referenced the videos. I usually Dair if I wanna spike or Fair for the side KO

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
i can hardly get the timing or angle right when i try to use it to spike people recovering. i find myself using the d air more frequently and find it easier to spike. when is a good situation to use one move over another?

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
The Diddy hump is awsome but also extremely difficult to pull off. Where's the best spot to aim and at what distance? On a flat stage Diddy can latch onto the target when both him and his opponent are on the ground, however when I try to do this in the air off the stage he usually sails over them. Should I aim at their feet or right at the body to prevent from sailing over?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
The Diddy hump is awsome but also extremely difficult to pull off. Where's the best spot to aim and at what distance? On a flat stage Diddy can latch onto the target when both him and his opponent are on the ground, however when I try to do this in the air off the stage he usually sails over them. Should I aim at their feet or right at the body to prevent from sailing over?
well. you want to be in the same general vicinity when you want to diddy hump someone in midair as if you want to dair spike them. Which is, alittle under them when starting the move, since the hump does an arc when performed and doesn't just go straight at them. Again, it latches up until you are upside down, so thats alittle more than your fair distance away from them at the same time.

Something I wanted to add about the hump. We all know you can use it for recovery. If you do the diddy hump then hit A to do the kung fu kick, and THEN you use a jump, you still WILL NOT be able to do your up B. If you just Jump-diddy hump-jump, you can do the upB afterwards as long as you dont kung fu kick. I personally found that odd, since you are jumping after the kick and you still cant do upB >.>

intOx

Smash Cadet
this is hilarious you call it humping

i think it's more like face hugging, like those things out of aliens :lol:

skangel

Smash Rookie
this is hilarious you call it humping

i think it's more like face hugging, like those things out of aliens :lol:
hump or die! xD

The hump is really useful it may catch opponents off guard, and with diddy's recovery it's not very risky t try to get them like that.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I've got a pretty decent example of when you should use the Diddy Hump.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xyLsEbHbcAQ - at around 1:36 or 1:37 IIRC.

It's probably a pretty obvious spot to do it but, eh, it's an example. Take it or leave it.
I'm glad you and An1bal posted Diddy Hump videos. I've never thought to use it as a recovery move to get back on the stage. Instead I've always used it for edge gaurding.

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
I'm glad you and An1bal posted Diddy Hump videos. I've never thought to use it as a recovery move to get back on the stage. Instead I've always used it for edge gaurding.
oh its really his main recovery, make sure to do the hump and not the kung fu kick or you could be in trouble trying to use your barrel rockets after that.

Oh yea and diddy hump kills feel soooo good. I cant believe i got those two in the same match.

Revven

FrankerZ
I've got another video on when to use it but, it's not up yet (won't be until tomorrow) it's pretty sick when I use it though.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
For some reason, theres alot of questions lately about the diddy hump, so im bumping this thread in hopes that it can cut down on the questions

Top Bottom