• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Dair Spike

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well it seems that I may have found something with diddy's dair spike. This might ust e general knowledge that I missed but I'm going to post it anyway ( plus crazy spike story). It seems that when spike with diddy, the closer they are to you body, the more towards your body they will go after you hit them, same thing vice versa the farther away they are the more away from your body they will go. Now I'm not sure about this theory (or possible general knowledge...), but I just had a racent spike where this happened. It was an FFA match Diddy vs Kirby vs Pit vs Toon Link. We were on FD. What happened was that Toon Link was on the left side of the stage at the arrow(the arrow that is on the FD stage for decoration) closest to the edge, I was in between that arrow and the one beside it. We were both about one full jump high, when I spiked him and he went soaring at about a 7-8ish O clock position off the edge to his doom. I don't if this out of the ordinary to actually spike someone while your halfway between the center of the stage and the edge on the stage and still get it, but it sure was funny. I have the replay if anyone wants to see it, but I don't have anything to record with so can't get it up

6:20 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY9HwEeZMKQ

Player-1

Smash Legend
Most Dair spikes are hitting them with your feet/foot(Zelda, Captain Falcon, Gannondorf, Ness,) and it wouldn't work there. The closest thing you'd get to diddy's dair spike from another character would be DK's Fair

IDK

Smash Lord
Most Dair spikes are hitting them with your feet/foot(Zelda, Captain Falcon, Gannondorf, Ness,) and it wouldn't work there. The closest thing you'd get to diddy's dair spike from another character would be DK's Fair
thats actually... not... true. marth's does it, falco's, pretty much anyone if you angle it right. say you are to the upper right of them at 45 degrees. they will fly 45 degrees to the lower left... ive done it plenty of tiems.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well I'm not talking about those repeated kick like Kirbys, falcos, Jigglypuffs, Peachs, Falcos, Luigi, etc. I'm talking about like a single hit down. The repeated kicks I think, correct me i'm wrong, but you have to hit at a certain angle for them to spike unlike the other ones I stated in last post

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i havnt seen that with anyone else but capt falcon.

im sure it looks hilarious

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
If you're spiking someone with a low percentage on a stage and you aren't that far from the edge, try Dair, then UpB (no charge), doubles the momentum for em. That way you have backup if you hit in the zone where it doesn't really spike.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I've never done a 45 degree angle spike with Diddy, but I can attest to the fact that you can definitely make them go at least 30 degrees off the straight downward trajectory..

Xaile

Smash Cadet
I was messing around against a computer Jiggs the other day on Smashville, and when she was out over the left hand side of the ledge, I D-Air'ed her and got a 45-ish degree angle to the lower right, and hit the corner of Smashville and kept going right-ish down. :)

But, I failed to KO her with the spike (she was at a low percent), and she started recovering on the right, so I walked off the right hand side of the stage and spiked her again! :laugh:

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Here it is at 6:20 of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY9HwEeZMKQ

It kinda curved at first then went down, it's still weird...
You're thinking about it in terms of the character model not the hitbox. If you consider the fact that Diddy's D-air hitbox extends a little past his hands, then when you see the spike, it's actually spiking straight down with minimal horizontal movement. Watch the trail of smoke coming off of Toon Link. Following it up, the place where the D-air made contact was very close to the edge. Most spikes have some amount of horizontal knockback, even if it is minimal. This is how Falco's D-air spike is most often executed in Melee, close to the edge and on the stage, so that he doesn't die due to downward momentum.

Player-1

Smash Legend
You're thinking about it in terms of the character model not the hitbox. If you consider the fact that Diddy's D-air hitbox extends a little past his hands, then when you see the spike, it's actually spiking straight down with minimal horizontal movement. Watch the trail of smoke coming off of Toon Link. Following it up, the place where the D-air made contact was very close to the edge. Most spikes have some amount of horizontal knockback, even if it is minimal. This is how Falco's D-air spike is most often executed in Melee, close to the edge and on the stage, so that he doesn't die due to downward momentum.
That didn't answer anything...the hypothesis was the closer the opponent was to your body the more towards your body they will go after you get spiked and same thing for the farther away you are the more away of it they will go. You just explained what happened in the video which I already knew what hapened.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
And I'm saying that your hypothesis is wrong. It has nothing to do with your character model. The reason it seemed like T. Link flew away from you is because Diddy's hitbox extends past his model. You spiked him straight down from the point of contact. It had nothing to do with how close or far you were from him when you did the D-air.

Top Bottom