• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy and Bowser Jr Match-Up Re-Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Even with 2 weeks to discuss each character, sometimes there just isn't enough time to thoroughly discuss them because people who would otherwise comment don't have enough experience with the match-ups being discussed. In order to keep the main match-up thread going and to avoid slowing things down, these match-ups are still only discussed there for the same amount of time as all the other match-ups. Since these characters still need to be discussed, that's what making separate threads is for.

Basically, discussion is about the same as on the main match-up thread, except since this is a re-discussion, the re-discussion lasts for a month (or longer, if necessary), then whatever we come up with will be posted in the second post in the match-up thread.

Here's what people have said on these match-ups already:

Bowser Jr:

I have little information on Bowser Jr., so can't really contribute there.

Edit: Since no one seems to be commenting on this, I'll try to do Bowser Jr. I guess...

I haven't really come across a good one, yet. They all seem to use mecha-koopa, then try to ram you down with their kart mode. Also, expect jabs and dash attacks.

Bowser Jr.'s big weakness, however, is recovery. In my experience, if not on the ground, it takes time for the Clown Car to respawn after using up-b. This means Bowser Jr. cannot use his recovery even after being hit until the car respawns, which allows for gimps (not sure how accurate this is).

Finally got some match-up experience with a Bowser Jr. After playing for about an hour and a half and discussing the match-up a little bit with the person I played with, here's what I have to say about this match-up (keep in mind, it's obviously not perfect since this is just based on experience with one person):

About Bowser Jr:
Bowser Jr is unusual for a camper in that he prefers small stages for more stage control. He has good projectiles and a good bair and fair, and is very good at gimping.

Advantages:
- Your projectiles and camping ability can force him to fight you up close.
- Utilt strings are surprisingly good here. His dair has too much start-up to punish your utilt, forcing him to run away.
- He has a hard time killing just like you do.

Disadvantages:
- His fair, bair, cannonballs, and upb are good at taking advantage of your poor recovery.
- Spacing with zair isn't very useful here.
- His exploding toy will punish you if you try to grab him, so grabs are generally unsafe.

General Strategy:
Camp. Don't try to be aggressive with him if you don't want to get badly punished. His fair and bair will completely wreck you, so avoid them. Keep in mind you can pick up his exploding toy and throw it right back at him.
Generally, if you end up in the air you want to focus on getting back to the ground as fast as possible. Don't try to fight him from the air, you won't win that fight. However, if he's above you you can easily shoot projectiles at him to try to lure him into a uair, or at least make it hell for him to try to get back to the ground.
Don't try to attack him when recovering towards the stage. His fair has a disjointed hitbox and very little start-up lag, so your fair won't work for defending against his fair.
The ground is the best place to be in this match-up. Fire as many projectiles at him as possible, and make sure to watch out for his as well. Carefully cover your escape with bombs and the boomerang if he comes close. His fsmash can be shield-grabbed, but it has very little ending lag, so don't try to punish it after the attack is over.

Stages:
As mentioned in the "About Bowser Jr" section, Bowser Jr likes small stages where his projectiles give him good control of the stage and where he can more easily pressure anyone who out-camps him. He also likes platforms where he can shark you with his amazing aerials.
On large stages:
You have the advantage here, so camp his *** off and don't get close.
On small stages:
Camp as much as you can, and watch carefully for an opportunity to punish. Just be careful; his jab, dtilt, and fsmash are extremely difficult to punish, so don't risk it against those moves.
On stages with platforms:
Stay on the ground as much as possible when he's close enough to come up and shark you. If he tries to camp you from the ground then use your projectiles to your advantage to camp him, then be prepared to get off the platform ASAP if he tries to approach. If he tries to camp you from a platform with his cannoballs then fire projectiles up at him.

Best to worst stages on the 3DS (keep in mind, this is almost entirely theoretical; I have no experience with Bowser Jr on the 3DS version):
1. Final Destination and omegas
2. Yoshi's Island
3. Battlefield
4. Prism Tower
Top 3 Best stages on Wii U:
1. Final Destination and omegas
2. Smashville
3. Town and City
Worst stage on the Wii U:
Congo Jungle 64

Miscellaneous:
Your Hylian shield protects against his projectiles except the explosion from the toy. His projectiles continue to go in the direction they were going in when they hit your shield, which looks funny.

My guess on the match-up ratio: 50:50. Toon Link forces Bowser Jr to come up close, while Bowser Jr forces Toon Link to be much more careful than usual with his recovery. Both have a hard time killing each other. Because of that, the match-up feels about even.

- Camp against him. Aggression will get you punished
- His fair beats your fair
- After he's recovered, you can attack him with any move except the spin attack without him getting his recovery back
- Generally, Bowser Jr.'s aerials > yours
- Larger stages with few to no platforms are best here
- He's good at gimping you
- Your Hylian shield protects against his projectiles except the explosion from the toy. His projectiles continue to go in the direction they were going in when they hit your shield, which looks funny
- Only suggested match-up ratio: 50:50

Diddy Kong:

Not gonna lie but personally I think Toon Link is one of the best counters to Diddy Kong in this game. And people have no idea.
Similar MU to brawl really, take control of the banana and avoid getting grabbed whatsoever.

Thankfully because we are light I'd say Diddy has a hard time actually performing a D-throw > Up Air kill on us. We'd actually be the ultimate counter to Diddy if Hitstun BLC cancel was still in. But aside from that. We can zone diddy out pretty nicely.

I'd say the MU Ratio is a 50:50

I see him sometimes, but always with everyone BUT TL, and most of them don't seem to be all that good, but here's a video by NAKAT outlining some general details about vs Diddy:

Other than what NAKAT says, I guess use projectiles to harass him and hamper side-b as well as gimp him with down-b if he tries to charge his up-b. But this is theory: I haven't got the chance to try them out yet. And don't get grabbed. If you get grabbed, DI is your only hope at high percents. I'd probably say 60-40 or 55-45 Diddy Kong I guess?

:4diddy:
Hey Dr. A, my internet has been ridiculously slow so I never got to add some input on TL vs Didddy.
The MU is definitely in Diddys favor since due to 2 reasons. 1. Tink has issues w/ characters who're fast 2. Diddy does well vs floaty characters as he can string his aerials well, and will always have time to pull a banana.
I'd say 55:45 from those I've faced, but it's probably worse.

Aeirals:
In the air we're at a clear disadvantage. Since we can't do much to characters below us besides with a bomb throw, Diddys Uair easily connects and can lead to other strings. Even if Uair is his go-to move it will still kill us relatively early, it still has high knockback when stale, and when it's fresh, Diddy can do Dtilt>SH'd Uair for an easy KO.
Diddy's will likely be fishing for Uairs when you recover onto the stage, since Jumping up from ledges is not safe.
His Dair spikes, and also auto-cancels if they use it right before they land on stage. You probably wont see it being used much as it has a small hitbox but it hits hard.
His Nair sends you upwards and strings with more of his Uair, combined with it's low landing lag you'll see this often.
Diddy's really quick so while you're recovering beware his Bair/Fair as they are very quick and not really punishable, and also kill. Diddy will actually be able to combo any of his Aerials besides Dair if he gets a Dthrow in, so DI up and away, and try to guess which move he's going to use next to know if you need to jump or airdodge. You can expect two Bairs at low %. TL has an easier time escaping his Dthrow>Uair than most IMO.
His Fair trades damage well, so don't approach it directly. Shield grab any grounded approaches against this.

Diddy's tilts:
Dtilt: This moves is great. It can clank with our attacks, and leads to a grab or another Dtilt often. At high percents he can Dtitlt you then Uair, as it sends you upwards. He can Dtilt with a banana in hand, so your best bet will be to shield this or roll backwards(risky).
Ftilt: Good for spacing as it has long range, a bit of ending lag but is quick nonetheless.
Utilt: Similar to our Utilt but there's not much of a hitbox behind him.

Smashes:
All of his smashes kill, so you'll probably want to avoid these or shield them and then punish w/ or grab or whatever. The back hit of Dsmash is stronger than the front hit btw. Fsmash has 3 hits and should be shielded or w/e.

Specials:
Peanut Gun: can be annoying offtsage, it's good for pressure and limiting your movements. Though onstage they'll be destroyed by almost anything, and will rarely be seen as he has better options.
Banana: Always use this against him when you have the chance, you can hold it while spamming rang and arrows, and then plan out how to punish his approaches. If it hits your shield jump up and catch it, possibly insta-toss it back.
Diddy Flip: If a Diddy's being aggressive w/ these they're easy to punish, you can spotdodge them or even shield the kick. If he gets the grab always mash out. You can expect him to Nair after the release, or recover if he's offstage.
Though GOOD Diddy's know how not to get punished. When this moved is short-hopped and Smashed kicked, Diddy will actually get momentum/slide boost when he lands. The way this works is the move ends just as he lands, and then he will close some distance to us so that he can catch us w/ a Dtilt, smash attack or grab (think of JCT slide). You will be seeing this often as Diddys like the SH>Banana throw to mixthings up and keep you guessing, and then hop over projectiles with the Diddy Flip. I might add that the momentum can be crouch canceled if he crawls backwards after, and then followed up w/ a Dtilt instantly.

A lot of this match is going to be spent spamming and harassing him on and offstage to possibly get a gimp in. His recovery can easily go wrong w/ good use of bombs, and the wishful thinking that he wont sweet-spot the ledge. Punish the little things he messes up on like dash attacks, or wild grabs. I haven't played many Diddy's btw. They're not really popular in For Glory. He is one of the 3 characters I play so I know a bit about his moves, not necessarily how to combat them.

Diddy Pang Time!

Lets start with negatives because **** it, why not!
~He's got amazing follow ups and combos/strings. Stuff like Upthrow> up air. Nanner into anything.
~While he may lack smash attacks that can kill early without charging they are generally quite quick on execution.
~Diddy can keep up that pressure with a combination of his side B, bananas, up throw and uairs. His other aerials aren't bad either.
~ He can side B out of anything, so its generally smart to try and bait out his side Bs.
~Nanner In general gives him a free hit.

Onto the positives.
~Our projectiles beat his. Including the arrows.
~ His side B is not safe from projectiles. So feel free to camp his butt ( As in make sure you have a bomb in your hand for approach).
~Lacks in killing power. His main kill move is his uair.

I want to rate the MU 50/50 due to diddy just having amazing attacks and combos and just a fluid kind of style. Our projectiles may beat his but our cqc does not. We still have far quicker ways of killing. Our smashes just kill a lot earlier than his.

The general strat against diddy is just to be patient and make sure you land your bombs/boomerangs to allow you to go in with your aerials.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I guess I'll venture over to the Diddy and Bowser Jr. boards and invite them over for their input if that's okay with you.

Edit: Seriously, is this okay? Please respond.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I guess I'll venture over to the Diddy and Bowser Jr. boards and invite them over for their input if that's okay with you.

Edit: Seriously, is this okay? Please respond.
Sure. That'd help a lot.
:170:

D

Deleted member

Aight guys, heres my insight for Boswer JR. I get to play Tweek alot, whos considered the best BJR right now.

- Be extremely cautious of his DAir, Cart, and Mecha Koopas.
- Smashville is important in this MU, we need the platform because being grounded with a BJR controlling the stage is very hard.
- We can destroy the mecha koopa with a combination of any 2 projectiles, or one bomb if we're lucky.
- Shield kart and punish with uair or utilt.
- Angled boomerang downward from the air is really good against BJR
- Usually, theyre looking for the startup of our projectiles to get in and punish
- DO NOT ATTACK IN HIS SHIELD! THEY BAIT US TO DO IT SO THEY CAN USMASH OOS!
- BEWARE OF A BJR SHIELDING AT THE LEDGE! THEY WILL CATCH YOU WITH AN USMASH!
- Gimping BJR with bomb is very good.
- Spacing with zair is very important. Zair outranges his aerials, but beware of getting too telegraphed with zair because they may use Side B to get in on our landing.
- Be careful using double jumps too freely; BJRs generally want to read our double jumps because they get rewarded extremely well juggling us.
- We can actually fight him while we are grounded, but be careful of challenging him in the air. His aerial game is very good.
- Save your double jump off stage until you know BJR wont try to gimp you. His fair does very well gimp us.
- They can use Side B->Jump to fake out an approach from us. Be extremely careful with this move.
- If they land into our shield with a laggy move, Up B OOS is good to punish.

I'll get a set with tweek recorded soon

D

Deleted member

So, some more stuff I tested out. We can duck under fair and punish with ftilt. We can do so even if we have a bomb in hand by holding down and cstick forward.
Diddy can usually uthrow uair at higher percents to get a kill on us and it works so that by the time we airdodge he would have already reached the height to uair us. Instead of forcing our jump to get into a juggle position, we can just dair because it will beat the uair. It'll be the slow dair, so it'll be pretty safe for the most part. Only do it with uthrow, not dthrow.

Dash sheild seems very good vs us, becareful of diddys who approach with this and if they do make sure to be cautious of when you have a bomb in hand. If we have a bomb theres literally no option we have against shield.

If they fair our shield we cant punish it LOL we have no move fast enough to punish it. zzzzzzzzzz

Town and city is good for us. Really good.

Random thoughts.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Here's a tip:
If you hit Bowser Jrs. Fsmash(cannonball) w/ a projectile it halts & becomes harmless. Some people only use it to edge-guard but it helps to know.

D

Deleted member

Just fyi guys, Zan says he's going to work on guides for Bowser Jr and Diddy. I haven't forgotten about this thread, I promise lol. Things just got slowed down a ton because of outside issues.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Bowser Jr. : the name of the game is stage control. Who ever has it wins. Thank fully Tlink has the tools to make this MU a lot easier than for Bowser Jr.

Maintaining a footing on a main stage with projectile is your game. Force the approach , even when from behind. He punishes hard when he gets a good read. You can attempt to gimp him with your projectiles when off stage but unless you have a good read, avoid going for a kill off stage he has better aerials frame wise (hello bowser Jr nair).

When going for a kill let it come naturally, gotta let him approach you. At 150% he dies to bthrow on almost any FD anywhere if the stock stretches that long.

When in a "cornered situation" and you need togo for the rock paper scissors of getting a fair to the face if you jump, a d smash if you roll or c smash if you do nothing.

From experience tlink has a great advantage with his ftilt when it comes to cqc and you want to bop him away for more projectile spacing.

Once you play the match up a couple times you will notice a pattern in the clown car forward b string. Shielding stops most of its advances and follow ups. Just remember he can jump, uair hammer and fast fall nair with it.

I'm on my phone so I'll prove read this later.

Also for diddy, find a secondary =p

Last edited:

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Starting to finally realise Diddy is a lot more problematic than I thought. Definitely not as even as I thought it was before. Certainly not an awful MU though. Diddy still has to respect our range after all and we still can work around bananas really nicely. After playing some good diddy's though the biggest problem I really only had was punishing his godlike roll and evasion game. Couldn't get a kill at all. Pretty sure Diddy and Sheik actually have the best rolls in the game as well.

Bowser Jr. - Yeah I still got nothing on this guy yet. My scene really doesn't have a diverse pool of mains yet. Or atleast good skilled ones yet :/

D

Deleted member

Diddy Kong

Okay. I'm just gonna write it all, might not be too organized yet though. I asked Jtails and Southpaw for their thoughts on the matchup since they're probably the most experienced in the matchup/used TL at some point in Brawl or Smash 4. Thanks to them for their input!

Jtails:
- I think a main concern for TL in the match up is letting diddy get under him because that's what leads to free damage/kills.
So definitely being mindful of when you pull out your bombs and using your double jump is important. With bombs you can gimp diddy if he ever goes into up b offstage, and if he recovers high with side b you have the long lasting up air to cover that space.
- TL is at advantage if he can get a hold of diddy bananas because arrows have less cool down I believe in this game. So you can arrow him and if he blocks then goes for a grab you can get banana toss into whatever you want.
- Also I believe all of TLs projectiles go through peanuts which is strong.
- And Diddy's like to shield when they hold a banana so you can use the opportunity to grab them. They will either shield or side b usually.
- Probably just slighttttttly in diddy favor, but I'm also leaning towards even.
- 55:45 in diddy favor tho, because of TLs recovery. And diddy can capitalize on his landings. But with proper DI, TL actually gets out of any down throw set ups around 60%

Southpaw: "as for like...what toon link should do? he really has to run like hell since his close game just doesnt give the reward that diddy has. it really sux thats he lost zair as a landing tool for the most part. bombs are still very good as usual, since they cut through nannerz, and now u get to just chuck them at point blank and get a combo/kill from it. i wanna say almost all of diddys landing aerials on block are grabbable. mayyybe a spaced fair can outrange grab. im sure diddy dtilt is safe as **** as usual on block so that leads to auto dash grab mixups. luckily toon links roll is tougher to punish altho the distance is still **** (aka why i just throw out meaty dsmashes and u still fall into them) I think toon link can fsmash punish diddy for his fsmash/dsamsh/upsmash on block which would be an amazing punish. else dsmash should always work since its faster.

its really how hard it is to land for toon link on against diddy now cuz his ground speed just lets him stick to you."

Now for my analysis

First off, my ratio is 60/40, but I actually feel like (from experience) the matchup is 55/45 or even 50/50 on Town and City.

Lets talk stages.
When you're starting the match/set, you should try to start on Smashville or Final Destination. I'd avoid going to Battlefield, at least for the first game if possible.

Strikes
If it comes down to strikes, heres what I usually do:
For 3 Stage Starter List (FD/SV/BF)
The strikes will always be 1 for each person. Strike Battlefield no matter what they strike and go to whatevers left, so that'll leave you with SV or FD which are both great, if not our best stages.

For 5 Stage Starter List (FD/SV/BF/Town/Lylat)
This is gonna be a little more tricky. The strikes will be 1-2-1. If you get to strike first, stick to the same plan and ban BF. They'll ban either a combination of SV and another stage; doesn't matter (although if they don't ban SV, I recommend starting there). If they've banned SV and ___ go to whichever you feel most comfortable with because all the remaining stages are great for us. Lylat is especially hard for Diddy to recover, but has a low ceiling. Platforms may be hard to maneuver around, but thats preference. I'd say try to aim for SV/Town/FD, so plan accordingly.

Counterpicks
So usually in most rulesets people get 2 bans.

Our best stages to counterpick in this matchup would be: Smashville, Town and City, Final Destination.
Avoid: Castle Siege <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<EMPHASIS ON AVOID, Duck Hunt
Personal Preference: Kongo (if legal), Lylat, Delfino

The reason I suggest Town&City so much is because it has the flat stage of FD with the moving platforms; we can jump from platform to platform making Diddy try to chase us. I find it easier to kill Diddy off the sides on this stage and we don't die as early off the top. Again, there's ample room to keep distance from Diddy on this stage as well.

Some misc notes I found while playing this matchup a bunch:
- If Diddy tries to Uthrow ->Uair us, we can Dair to beat out the Uair. This does not work with Dthrow as far as I know.
- If you're feeling risky, we can gimp Diddy's Up B by dairing into him and trading with his Up B. We can recover after this.
-
RAR Bair seems to be safe on shield. I believe we can approach/beat out his SH Fair with this, but don't overdo it.
- We can punish their SH Uair on shield with Up B OoS.
- If they don't have invincibility on the ledge, our best options are FTilt or Dair (you need to time it and space it right because of startup time).

Now for the general matchup notes:

- Diddy's will generally start out the match by pulling a banana sometime in the beginning. If theres a chance we can get control of the banana, try to get it. We get deadly momentum/followups from banana and I believe we have one of the best item control in the game.
- A lot of Diddy's will also try to space us with SH Fair. Sadly...we can't really punish it very well before he can fast fall and shield whatever we try to do.
- My best advice is to try to run away and play a flow of in and out style of play. What I mean by that is chipping away at him with projectiles, and then attacking him head on when he tried to approach. We need a good balance of this to succeed.
- Some Diddys will try to approach with Side B. This is our chance for free damage. We can ftilt/utilt/run usmash in the direction hes going (not coming from)/pivot grab/bair/jc bomb throw to followup against it.
- Spacing with Zair is very good in this matchup. Even on shield, unless they have a banana, they can't really punish it.
- Beware of being too obvious with your flow or pattern of item play. Diddys are looking to punish the startup/endlag of projectiles and our landings especially. Please be careful.
- When they have a banana in hand, they are generally safe if they use a Dash Shield approach especially if we are being too autopilot with our bombs. Please be wary of this as the only thing that will beat this approach is grab.
- Make sure to take advantage of gimping Diddy. We are really good at this as we can use all of our projectiles to gimp him. Throw boomerangs and bombs as needed to gimp him, and ledge trump him if he manages to make it back.
- I haven't tested, but Fair should be safe on their shield.
- Play slower if needed. No reason to rush things, and making mistakes leads to hard punishes by Diddy. Thats not something we can afford in this matchup.

Will probably update as necessary in the near future.

D

Deleted member

@Zan- Holy crap, that looks amazing so far. That's easily the most in-depth guide we've gotten. So yeah, thanks! Just let me know when you're done adding stuff to it and I'll add it to the second poat in the match-up thread.

As for the match-up ratio, since everyone agrees it's in Diddy's favor and people generally say around 45:55-40:60, and Zan has more experience with TL vs Diddy than probably anyone, I think I'll put 40:60 on the match-up chart. Is this alright with everyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

@Zan- Holy crap, that looks amazing so far. That's easily the most in-depth guide we've gotten. So yeah, thanks! Just let me know when you're done adding stuff to it and I'll add it to the second poat in the match-up thread.

As for the match-up ratio, since everyone agrees it's in Diddy's favor and people generally say around 45:55-40:60, and Zan has more experience with TL vs Diddy than probably anyone, I think I'll put 40:60 on the match-up chart. Is this alright with everyone?
Thanks! I'll gradually be adding more stuff to it too. Do you want me to indicate what I've added?

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I can definitely agree the MU is probably 55:45 in Diddy's Favour now.
As much as I thought it could be even, it's came to clear to me he just has a lot more safer options in the match up but we can definitely still keep up. Toon Link in my honest opinion is one decent counter to Diddy in this game. I hear some Diddy Kongs don't actually like fighting Toon Link which is interesting. Hopefully now we can just keep capatalising on our bad MU's.

I mean we have great match ups against fatties bla bla bla : Then there is ZSS. We need to solve this MU like ASAP lmao. Pls, This match up is going to be horrendous now I would suggest we just get this one out of the way XD

D

Deleted member

Thanks! I'll gradually be adding more stuff to it too. Do you want me to indicate what I've added?
Nah, that's not necessary. Just let me know when you're done editing it and adding stuff to it.

I can definitely agree the MU is probably 55:45 in Diddy's Favour now.
As much as I thought it could be even, it's came to clear to me he just has a lot more safer options in the match up but we can definitely still keep up. Toon Link in my honest opinion is one decent counter to Diddy in this game. I hear some Diddy Kongs don't actually like fighting Toon Link which is interesting. Hopefully now we can just keep capatalising on our bad MU's.

I mean we have great match ups against fatties bla bla bla : Then there is ZSS. We need to solve this MU like ASAP lmao. Pls, This match up is going to be horrendous now I would suggest we just get this one out of the way XD
True, it does seem a lot of Diddy mains don't like fighting TL. Personally I've had a few switch to their secondaries on me which they said is because they don't like fighting TL. Them not liking the match-up doesn't necessarily mean it can't be a bad match-up for us, though. There are all sorts of reasons that could explain why they don't like playing TL.
As for ZSS, feel free to make a separate thread for discussing that match-up as outlined in the OP of the match-up thread. I agree that it needs discussing, but it'll be among the last we get to in a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
@Dr. Artemis it might just be the fact Toon Link can completely dominate with a banana in his hand and like Zan said Toon Link has some of the best item control in the game.

D

Deleted member

:4bowserjr:going to refer Boswer Jr as BJR.
50/50

Stages:
Smashville
Final Destination
Town&City

Battlefield
Duck Hunt

Halberd
Lylat <----- HIS BEST STAGE!!!!!
Delfino
Castle Siege

Bowser Jr is a HEAVY WEIGHT when he is IN THE CLOWN KART. Keep this in mind.
When he Up B's, he is LIGHT WEIGHT because he is OUT OF THE CLOWN KART.
Just starting with this to make note of later.

So in general, BJR has one main approach with some mixups; his Side B (dunno what its called). He gets followups off of it and can cancel it with a jump. It has super armor as well.
I advise you not to challenge it but instead wait and punish it. There is a big distinction between these.
Don't try challenging it with a move when it's rushing at you. While you can hit it with certain moves to get past the super armor, you need good reaction time and its better to just punish it.
So how do we punish it?
Simple. Shield! When they Side B's toward us, just shield and they have 4 options (though the 4th will never be used lol):
1. Keep going past shield
2. Jump before it hits our shield
**3. Hit our shield and jump with an aerial/etc in anticipation for a followup
** this it the one we want and most of them do
4. Burn out and go sliding (very punishable)

Shielding beats all of these options as we can just react to either of them.
If they keep going past shield, we can BAir OOS.
If they jump before it hits our shield, you can reset the situation and retreat or try to boomerang in their arc
If they hit our shield and jump, we can do uair/bair/fair/nair/usmash/bomb throw up if we have one
If they burn out, well...we have years to punish and not gonna get into that cause its self explanatory lol

Now, they may know we're gonna shield, so they may try to fake us out. Thats where power shielding comes in!

You can try pivot grabbing or retreat JC Bomb throw vs the Side B, but shield is usually the best option.

One thing to be cautious of is Dair. If they side b our shield, they may Dair immediatley after to try to poke our shield or beat our punish. If you think they're gonna Dair just shield it all because it has lag landing into the ground.

Side B is a very dangerous move. He can string 40% or more from it if we get hit, be very careful.

The mixup I mentioned earlier is Side B to empty jump to bait us out. BJR mainly tries to approach us but we can run away very well, just be careful dealing with Side B.

BJR loves to have a Mecha Koopa (down b) on stage alot; it walks across the stage and can be picked up as an item as well. It has 2 hitboxes when walking: one that hits you up on contact and another that explodes after it hits you up.
We can throw projectiles at it to make it explode, and a combination of either bomb+arrow/boomerang or just a bomb before it starts walking should make it explode. We can catch it too.
BJR also has an AT where if he catches it before it starts walking and throws it down, it'll bounce off the ground into the air.
BJR will usually either let it walk the whole stage or place it near the ledge and wait till it turns around to catch it. Naturally, the startup is punishable so a boomerang toward him should do the trick.
If its too close to use a projectile on, just shield it, but remember to shield it if it turns around too.
If its about to explode on the ground and someone picks it up, the timer resets. Keep that in mind cause BJR tends to do that alot.

His canonball is pretty much useless for him, so you wont be seeing much of that and it's easy to avoid even if you do. So I'm just gonna skip it.

Abandon Ship (Up B) is VERY RISKY WHEN RECOVERING FOR BJR. If we hit them when they aren't in the Clown Kart, they have to wait until it comes back to Up B again. Its a vertical/linear recovery, so throwing a bomb down at them should suffice. Falling/timed nair is good too. Its also very easy to ledge trump.
Be careful as they have a strong hammer hitbox they can throw out when they are out of the Kart. It can be combod from Side B too so be very careful.
BJR's sometimes like to Up B when they have you on the ledge. If you run into the actual Kart, it has a hitbox that leads into the explosion. Be careful when you are on the ledge because they are looking for you to do a regular getup.
This move can also be used to edge guard us, so be careful recovering. Since our recovery is also linear and vertical it can pose problems.

In general, the matchup is all about spacing. We need to keep them out because if they get momentum on us it can be very hard, but at the same time he has trouble getting in if we can keep him out.
Zair and retreating SH Nair are both very good for spacing. RAR Bair is very good too, but use it sparingly because they will try to side b OOS to catch our lag on Bair.
Be careful of BJR's SH Fair because it auto cancels and its very good for spacing/getting in. It'll beat our projectiles for the most part.

BJR usually lands with NAir as it has little lag, so watch out for that.

FH Angled boomerang downward is very good in this matchup because it covers the space that BJR wants to occupy.

Bombs are, as usual, essential in this matchup. Platform keepaway is advised especially. BE VERY CAREFUL OF HIS UAIR WHEN ON A PLATFORM, IT IS SIMILAR TO METAKNIGHTS UAIR IN BRAWL AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO RELIVE THAT, DO YOU?? HE'LL GET 40% OR MORE FROM IT, DO NOT BY ANY MEANS ENGAGE WITH THAT UAIR. SHIELD IT, RUN AWAY FROM IT, THROW A BOMB AT IT, DONT CHALLENGE IT. CANT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH

BJR has great tools to edgeguard us so be careful when recovering. Try to save your jump as long as you can.

When on the edge, BJR will usually sit in shield waiting for our getup. He will try to USmash us OOS and it will catch our roll and get up for the most part. Be very careful and analyze the situation because there isn't a specific thing I can tell you to do to get out of the situation. Your best bet is to just jump and get out of there.

Like I said, BJR is heavy when in the Kart, so its going to take a bit more than it looks like to kill him; however we can Utilt string him a lot so keep that in mind.

BJR gets juggled alot, so try to keep him in the air since he is a big target.

Be cautious of being hit by Dair. It can be lag canceled when it hits (but not if it hits our shield) and he can followup alot off of it.

BJR doesn't have any followups off of throws, but his bthrow and dthrow can kill. Be careful.

Again, BJR will usually land with NAir if they whiff an aerial from a full hop but they will mix it up and land with BAir if they think it can hit you. BAir is very strong so be careful of being hit by that.

We can punish a lot of his moves on our shield with Up B.

More to come, this guide isn't completely finished yet so I'll be updating it soon.

Experience is from Tweek, the best :4bowserjr:ever

also :4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:matchups all 100:0

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
it might be possible to deal with the Usmash OoS by dropping from the ledge and using an aerial attack from the side where up-smash does nothing. if they still end up U-smashing, that move flips him upside down so you can even get an extra damage in.

as an ex-jr i really despise this match-up.

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
At one of my monthly tournaments I had to time out the diddy's -___-, which I did. (6 min.)
I am glad the patch arrived to make diddy's KO power much less. Now we should we all take a deep breather and relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom