• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you drop TL as your main? Who did you switch to and why?

Smashless

Smash Apprentice
actually, mr. soup, this thread has everything to do with making a better TL board, and helping the character.

Nobody seems to be able to come up with a consistent explanation for why toon link has not fared well in tournaments, or why his popularity has dropped off. If we can understand this, perhaps we can apply this knowledge to the character and hone his game to fix some of these problems.

And, if you actually READ the original post, you'd understand that I think toon link is an AWESOME character, which is why I've bothered to make this thread in the first place. I may main ROB, but if you look a little closer you'll see that I'm far more active on the TL boards.

PS: thanks for the support, vietgeek.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
actually, mr. soup, this thread has everything to do with making a better TL board, and helping the character.

Nobody seems to be able to come up with a consistent explanation for why toon link has not fared well in tournaments, or why his popularity has dropped off. If we can understand this, perhaps we can apply this knowledge to the character and hone his game to fix some of these problems.

And, if you actually READ the original post, you'd understand that I think toon link is an AWESOME character, which is why I've bothered to make this thread in the first place. I may main ROB, but if you look a little closer you'll see that I'm far more active on the TL boards.

PS: thanks for the support, vietgeek.
So far what I have read has been, "oh he just got boring", or "I didn't win much with him". Oh yes this helps to hone this characters skills very well >_>. But I will stop my ranting of this thread, it is yours, and it seems most people approve of it. So do as you must.

Dark Nemesis

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link is freaking awesome. I love him.
He used to be my main, but I've decided to make him my secondary until Brawl's metagame evolves.

I'm maining Wolf and Falco right now, because of the vast sea full of snakes/MKs.

But I still "main" Toon Link. He's the best counterpick I have, and he's a freaking bomb.

I've just decided to put him on pause.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Here is the simple (and sort of long) explanation.

THE REASON WHY TOON LINK WAS POPULAR IN THE BEGINNING.

Toon Link was popular because in the beginning the few people who got the chance to play Brawl before the release reported him top tier material and a few even say he was to the point of "broken." So there were a lot of people who wanted to win easily in tournaments thought he was the character to play and picked him up for this reason.

THE REASON WHY TOON LINK POPULARITY DROPPED.

A lot of the people who picked up Toon Link thinking they can get easy wins could not get easy wins so they dropped Toon Link for characters who are doing well in tournaments.

THEREFORE...

This is why you see a lot of Snake and MK's in tournaments now. Along with some increase in DDDs, Marth, Falcos, etc. It seems along with Toon Link's popularity, Wolf's and especially Luigi's popularity dropped.

SO...

Brawl is just going through the same process Melee did (as with many other fighters). I'm sure all you veterans know. Certain good people consistently win with certain characters so a ton of people are going to follow in their steps. Fox and Sheik anyone?

copperdog4

Smash Rookie
i think toon link is basically a great beginner character sence hes fast has range and hes not all that weak but it takes time and work to master him so people just dont wanna bother trying so they switch off

Santi

Smash Lord
i think toon link is basically a great beginner character sence hes fast has range and hes not all that weak but it takes time and work to master him so people just dont wanna bother trying so they switch off
Exactly.
Toon Link is easy to learn and hard to master.
Thats why TL was popular in the begining. That crowd then dwindled once they realized how difficult the task was going to be.

I'll admit. I almost left the little boy with the Wand and Butterknife as well.

Now there are a handful that have decided that they're going to be pioneers with TL and help show his true potential.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Exactly.
Toon Link is easy to learn and hard to master.
Thats why TL was popular in the begining. That crowd then dwindled once they realized how difficult the task was going to be.

I'll admit. I almost left the little boy with the Wand and Butterknife as well.

Now there are a handful that have decided that they're going to be pioneers with TL and help show his true potential.
You gotta admit he has one sexy butterknife though. Look at that carefully crafted hilt, look at the emblem on the fuller of the blade!

Yeah, that's one nice butterknife. Meta Knight has a butterknight that extends though. I heard to roughly Falchion lengths. :urg:

Out of curiosity, who are those pioneers?

Yes, I'm a very nosy person.

Santi

Smash Lord
You gotta admit he has one sexy butterknife though. Look at that carefully crafted hilt, look at the emblem on the fuller of the blade!

Yeah, that's one nice butterknife. Meta Knight has a butterknight that extends though. I heard to roughly Falchion lengths. :urg:

Out of curiosity, who are those pioneers?

Yes, I'm a very nosy person.
The poineers with TL?

Really just any users that are playing with TL through the thick and thin. Contributing what they know to other TL users and trying to advance TL's gameplay in general.

Amide

Smash Lord
*Looks at username* Yes, I used to main Toon Link. I was pretty good too.

Toon Link is surprisingly good against Snake and DDD. Neutral Snake, advantage D3. Even some say neutral against Meta Knight. He is arguably better against the big three than anyone else in the game. (Sorry, but DDD>>DK) While that seemed great, against the rest the cast, he didn't have as big of advantages as the top characters. In Brawl, it's about range and attack speed. It's just that Snake and Meta Knight were better at both. Toon Link's amazing camping game didn't make it up for me. Also to mention, Toon Link doesn't have a broken move. (Snake: FTilt, MK: Tornado, DDD: DThrow etc.)

petycash

Smash Rookie
Well his D-smash can be a bit broken at low percentages. I've been working with TL since the begining and though I don't have many post here I watched the boards for a long time before I even made an account. I would like to say that I'm trying to be a "pioneer" for TL and I've been working on his AT and trying to discover new ones and how to best use his variety of moves effectively. Because unlike many people may say TL is not just spam projectiles until high % then hyphen smash. He's much much more with so many underused and underexpected strategies. His ability to be so versatile and switch from an all defensive gameplay to a great offense isn't easily done by many characters. TL has the projectiles and speed to pull this off. Too many people expect to come to the smashboards and read some AT for their character and automatically assume that because they can do it, they should spam it or that they are and amazing player for it.
Understanding the ATs is one thing, when/how to use them is a far different learning process that takes alot of trail/error for each character. TL can be amazing, and has potential to force the opponent to do things certain ways, which quickly become predicatable. And in brawl, as well as any SSB game, predictable is not something you want to be.
TL does fair a bit better against alot of the top characters in the game then many other characters, but that's only limited by skill. And talk is cheap, and I know I haven't contributed much to these forums yet, because others find out the ATs just as quickly as me and then when I come to post some things, it's already there. (SHDA, the sliding up B.) Tl doesn't have a bad community, just not many players. With TL being as underestimated as he is, it will be a shock to many when someone cracks the code of the little guy.
TL is almost like 2 characters, because of how greatly his game can shift at any given moment. But as several has said before me, he's easy to pick up but hard to master. I've always been a fan of link, even since the original SSB and TL plays alot more like him then the twilight link, and I'm going to do what I can to not let TL fall behind in the shadows of characters who are mainly played because of their reputation.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just to start out, I never switched from toon link, but it's really easy to see why early adopters never stayed with him. As you said, if you mess up, he's really unforgiving. It's just the kind of thing where lots of experience and practice pays off big, and only being middle class leaves you in the dust. Learning things like SDHA proved to be too much for early adopters, and when the awe of his Dair ran off, people just moved on.
I don't think there's any denying that TL has potential, but most people would rather move on to other characters where it takes less mastery to realize that potential. The other thing that's hurt TL is the fact that popular characters do well against him, (Falco, Metaknight) so people tend to use other characters in tournaments.
QFE, QFT.

I'm not ever switching my main. Since I saw Toon Link announced-Toon Link was my main. Heck-Toon Link was my main before that. Before Brawl came out Toon Link was my most desired character, and if he was truly in the game, he would be my main for life. I always was, am, and will be a Toon Link super awesome main-and that's not about to change! :grin:

Anyways, a lot of the reason people are leaving is because:
-Tier whores aren't as into Toon Link isn't anymore.
-People have become better with other characters (this happens with virtually every other character too).
-Most people can't handle an all-around character. I know, and I know why. It's very hard. That's why so few people use Mario competitively.
-Most people can't handle an all-around character's meta game to advance and become complete. I can because I'm a south paw. :grin:
-Toon Link is easy to pick up, but will take a long time to master. You need to be skillful in every aspect of the game to master him.
-The pressure (we all have) to switch to one of these characters everyone is whoring like there's no tomorrow is always there.
-The instant gradification most people have, instead of focus on the bigger picture.
-Toon Link almost requires you to use other characters against these tier-whored characters, since many of them are Toon Link counter-picks.

Having the skill to be all-around dominant is a gift, and takes a lot of time, torturing, and training. That's pretty much why everyone uses Snake. He's easy to use, you win with him, and everyone uses him. Best of all, you only need to master very few different playstyles and strategies. See how much easier it is? The same is true with a lot other characters. That's instant gratitude for you. Everyones a follower, and few are leaders... >_>

Yadel16

Smash Cadet
At first I saw Kizzu main toon link now things changed and he went back to using Marth like he did in Melee.

Top Bottom