• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did that kid ever eat his hat?

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
luke groudwalker, you are a ****ing moron. Wolf is a clone and rob is a ****ty piece of plastic that def doesnt deserve a spot in brawl over ness. Id love to smack you in the face with my ****. i know you would love it. And yea you morons.... some guy is going to eat his hat. I mean thats possible. Ill eat a ****ing top hat if one of yous can prove that you can get laid... by a women. Ill make a video and everything. And then i will probably **** your mother and make you watch that too.. toodles. suck a nut groundwalker
"Yous?" But, good sir, you are a member too, are you not?

...And yes, I know feeding trolls is a bad idea... >.>

Super_Schlepboogie

Smash Rookie
Actually, ROB is possibly the most deserving of all the newcomers. He was Nintendo's Trojan horse for the NES which saved the videogame industry.

BTW, you're a very silly person.
why thank you.

imo rob is a ****ty brawl character. Sakurai went on a rave saying how some characters are just not fighters. I can see him driving carts and mayb being a pilot. but i dont think he deserves a spot over K rool or even Krystal (who i dispise) i do like rob... sorta. but luke groundwalker pounds massive dog ***.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
My goodness, it seems like you kids will find all sorts of ways to derail threads nowadays. I thought all this Ness discussion was done, but I guess that's what I get for doubting smashboards. People always find a way to complain... my better side tells me I should have left this hostile wasteland a while ago, but I can't help but keep coming back. Especially with silly debates like this going around with ME contributing to the mess!

Ok, so this argument is about Ness being a deserving character, or not, and I suppose both sides have made some pretty good points now... well, I'll throw in a big wall of text just to provide my views. I know it's going to get debunked left and right by certain individuals, but I honestly don't care. I feel like I need to say something as a fan of the entire MOTHER series.

I personally feel that Ness an OK character, as far as things go. At the basic heart of it all, he is just meant to be a small twist on the usual idea of a silent RPG protagonist, which were very popular back in the day. Luke is right in that he really does not have much development at all besides the usual growing up business that is in most RPGs... but you can make out a small bit of Ness out of his adventures if you just look at what he actions and relationships with the colorful cast of characters that accompany him. Oh, and a little interpretation goes a long way too, and I think Itoi really wanted people to think a little bit about these games.
Besides whatever secrets to Ness you can unlock from how he and the world interacts around him, he really was the silent hero who spoke through actions instead of words. Unlike others of his kind though, he kept it slightly interesting by just being a chubby little kid from the 90s, and hanging out with some REAL eccentrics.

I'm not as familiar with MOTHER 1 as I'd like to be, but I'll take Luke's word on it because I do know for a fact that there's a whole lot of backstory compared to MOTHER 2, and I suppose there are some more clearly written facts written here and there too. I'm also going to vouch that MOTHER 1 also has a bright cast that might also add some insight into what Ninten is like, but I'm really gonna have to play it again just to see, though... thanks for inspiring me to do just that!

Now, MOTHER 3 also has a whole lot of story to it as well, mostly going forwards though. There is plenty of growth involved in a physical and emotional scale. Lucas even has one or two speaking lines from what I've heard, but it's nothing out of the norm... he also goes through a lot more tragedy than Ness as well which gives him a lot more development as well. Lucas isn't a perfect messiah like Ness is, and I guess that makes him a lot more accessible to people because of his delicate little flaws. I happen to like Lucas a little bit more too, and I feel like I could just give him a great big hug. (Ness and Ninten are welcome too)

This is all trivial though, I actually only wanted to say that Ness was deserving for his place in Brawl because he happened to be in both Smash 64 AND Melee. It was a little odd in the first game, but seeing him again in Melee made things a lot more interesting, especially with the higher representation for the MOTHER series and also because of how awesome and high-profiel Melee is/was. Anyway, thanks to Smash Brothers, Ness and MOTHER 2 have become quite significant icons now among several other RPG greats, and especially the Smash series itself, as Sakurai puts it on Ness's DOJO update...
As this is Ness’s third appearance in a Smash game, I imagine he’s quite the veteran fighter at this point. Maybe he’s even used to this by now.
Sakurai pretty much acknowledges that the kid's extended presence pretty much gave him a free pass to Brawl, and possibly for every other Smash game to come... too many people care about him now. If there was ever a time to remove him, it would have been in Melee, but due to complications, that never worked out, and the fanbase for Ness just skyrocketed because of Lucas never quite making it in time.

Luke, don't get me wrong, I think you're a reasonable guy and somewhat more intelligent then some of the trash that lurks around Smashboards, but I think you're being a little too critical about Ness... he's an alright kid. He's quite generic but he's far from terrible. Why would so many people like Ness if he was a terrible character?

Project Occasus

Smash Cadet
Ah, Just report him and be done with it. You can't argue with someone who doesn't want to listen.

EDIT: he's banned already lol. But then again, with my 56k I go in slow motion.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
why thank you.

imo rob is a ****ty brawl character. Sakurai went on a rave saying how some characters are just not fighters. I can see him driving carts and mayb being a pilot. but i dont think he deserves a spot over K rool or even Krystal (who i dispise) i do like rob... sorta. but luke groundwalker pounds massive dog ***.
What you say?

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
EDIT: he's banned already lol. But then again, with my 56k I go in slow motion.

Tend to happen with a duplicate account, especially one that posts like that. Thanks for the reports nonetheless, that's how it's supposed to be done.

maian

Smash Apprentice
luke groudwalker, you are a ****ing moron. Wolf is a clone and rob is a ****ty piece of plastic that def doesnt deserve a spot in brawl over ness. Id love to smack you in the face with my ****. i know you would love it. And yea you morons.... some guy is going to eat his hat. I mean thats possible. Ill eat a ****ing top hat if one of yous can prove that you can get laid... by a women. Ill make a video and everything. And then i will probably **** your mother and make you watch that too.. toodles. suck a nut groundwalker
Go to bed, child. You might be late for your seventh grade first period.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
My goodness, it seems like you kids will find all sorts of ways to derail threads nowadays. I thought all this Ness discussion was done, but I guess that's what I get for doubting smashboards. People always find a way to complain... my better side tells me I should have left this hostile wasteland a while ago, but I can't help but keep coming back. Especially with silly debates like this going around with ME contributing to the mess!

Ok, so this argument is about Ness being a deserving character, or not, and I suppose both sides have made some pretty good points now... well, I'll throw in a big wall of text just to provide my views. I know it's going to get debunked left and right by certain individuals, but I honestly don't care. I feel like I need to say something as a fan of the entire MOTHER series.

I personally feel that Ness an OK character, as far as things go. At the basic heart of it all, he is just meant to be a small twist on the usual idea of a silent RPG protagonist, which were very popular back in the day. Luke is right in that he really does not have much development at all besides the usual growing up business that is in most RPGs... but you can make out a small bit of Ness out of his adventures if you just look at what he actions and relationships with the colorful cast of characters that accompany him. Oh, and a little interpretation goes a long way too, and I think Itoi really wanted people to think a little bit about these games.
Besides whatever secrets to Ness you can unlock from how he and the world interacts around him, he really was the silent hero who spoke through actions instead of words. Unlike others of his kind though, he kept it slightly interesting by just being a chubby little kid from the 90s, and hanging out with some REAL eccentrics.

I'm not as familiar with MOTHER 1 as I'd like to be, but I'll take Luke's word on it because I do know for a fact that there's a whole lot of backstory compared to MOTHER 2, and I suppose there are some more clearly written facts written here and there too. I'm also going to vouch that MOTHER 1 also has a bright cast that might also add some insight into what Ninten is like, but I'm really gonna have to play it again just to see, though... thanks for inspiring me to do just that!

Now, MOTHER 3 also has a whole lot of story to it as well, mostly going forwards though. There is plenty of growth involved in a physical and emotional scale. Lucas even has one or two speaking lines from what I've heard, but it's nothing out of the norm... he also goes through a lot more tragedy than Ness as well which gives him a lot more development as well. Lucas isn't a perfect messiah like Ness is, and I guess that makes him a lot more accessible to people because of his delicate little flaws. I happen to like Lucas a little bit more too, and I feel like I could just give him a great big hug. (Ness and Ninten are welcome too)

This is all trivial though, I actually only wanted to say that Ness was deserving for his place in Brawl because he happened to be in both Smash 64 AND Melee. It was a little odd in the first game, but seeing him again in Melee made things a lot more interesting, especially with the higher representation for the MOTHER series and also because of how awesome and high-profiel Melee is/was. Anyway, thanks to Smash Brothers, Ness and MOTHER 2 have become quite significant icons now among several other RPG greats, and especially the Smash series itself, as Sakurai puts it on Ness's DOJO update...

Sakurai pretty much acknowledges that the kid's extended presence pretty much gave him a free pass to Brawl, and possibly for every other Smash game to come... too many people care about him now. If there was ever a time to remove him, it would have been in Melee, but due to complications, that never worked out, and the fanbase for Ness just skyrocketed because of Lucas never quite making it in time.

Luke, don't get me wrong, I think you're a reasonable guy and somewhat more intelligent then some of the trash that lurks around Smashboards, but I think you're being a little too critical about Ness... he's an alright kid. He's quite generic but he's far from terrible. Why would so many people like Ness if he was a terrible character?
Sorry for quoting such a long post, but this man is the most intelligent regular member on these boards. Yes, I believe that Luke GroundWalker is intelligent too, but he went a little over board on Ness. You sir are what I have been wanting every member to act like. This would make these forums the best in the world. I really want to see that guy eat his hat. :p

Cheezball

Smash Ace
Shut the hell up about Ness and Lucas already. This thread is about this guy eating his hat.
Watch your mouth, but also, listen to this guy, GET BACK ON TOPIC ALREADY PEOPLE!!! Exactly, just be quiet about Ness and Lucas already. EVERY ONE GET BACK ON TRACK! I WANT TO SEE THIS GUY EAT A HAT!!!! :chuckle:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Shut the hell up about Ness and Lucas already. This thread is about this guy eating his hat.
If you think about it, this conversation was made so we have something to occupy ourselves with until the hat eating begins.

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
lol i remember that XD, thats a quote from some book too right? I think it was deception point....

Ojanya

Smash Ace
So, if he eats the hat... five stars?

EDIT: If he's good, he can start a whole series like "Will it Blend?"

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
I don't think he's gonna do it.

I remember a topic on G-Faqs in which he said that if Phoenix Wright didn't win that popularity contest that L-Block eventually won, he would give everyone who posts $100. And its still up too:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=8&topic=37992148

I mean, how many people on the internet made bets ranging from ehh, to insane, to WTF ARE YOU THINKIN, and actually kept his/her word? But yeah, he's not gonna do it.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for quoting such a long post, but this man is the most intelligent regular member on these boards. Yes, I believe that Luke GroundWalker is intelligent too, but he went a little over board on Ness. You sir are what I have been wanting every member to act like. This would make these forums the best in the world. I really want to see that guy eat his hat. :p
Gosh, you're just flattering me! I'm just a happy little fan of all things Nintendo, and I just try and keep things reasonable and level-headed with these debates. It's not that hard, I wish other people could see this, but that's why I joined this forum in the first place... along with being a fan of the Smash series and needing to find a way to kill time, of course! :chuckle:

Anyway, I for one would like to see this hat-eating as well. I remember his post pretty well, and it just goes to show you why you can never really doubt Nintendo and their mysterious ways of making ANYTHING possible within their games. Besides, Nintendo totally loves ROB, it's perfectly reasonable to make him a playable Smash rep when you consider that he pretty much saved Nintendo's US department the old days and has made TONS of cameos because of this... also maybe because Nintendo likes making fun of themselves, perhaps it's both.

Oh well, it's a shame since that it's pretty obvious that this kid is not going to eat his hat. I mean, if I was faced with that situation, I would just simply forget it ever happened, maybe even changing my name along the way too. It's a matter of dignity... oh well, he never should have gambled like that in the first place, really.

Toastmeister

Smash Apprentice
As 'Eat my hat' is not an utterly expended idiom, devoid of any real meaning since it was made profusely cliché by the brilliant writers of Archie and his cap-adorned pal, Jughead, I firmly believe that the boy in question is surely going to mange his chapeaux; this is an inarguable fact, as people always do precisely what they loosely state anonymously on an internet forum (Especially when it's not an inundated & colourless 'turn of phrase' that hasn't been considered anachronistic since the dark ages).

Moving on to a more appropos pondering, if this boy truly will eat his hat, what hat will he eat?

Personally I'm putting my Spectator coins on a Cossack! Deee-lish.

tutata

Smash Ace
Because we all know there's was good reasons to support Ness' return, right?

Right?

Either way, Ness still doesn't deserve to be in Brawl. It's cool to see him and Lucas together from a Mother fan's standpoint but it was really a waste of space.

What can you say, though? Sakurai is human, he makes mistakes, and like with the transition between Melee and Brawl where he took out Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu who were mistakes in Melee, he'll do the same with a future Smash game as he learns his mistakes in Brawl.
I dont see ness as a waste of space, have you seen simna play ness?

Help!

Smash Journeyman
I totally remember reading that you should post the link on the first post so i we have proof and have his name so we can pm the crap out of him or something

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
...What can you say, though? Sakurai is human, he makes mistakes, and like with the transition between Melee and Brawl where he took out Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu who were mistakes in Melee...
Roy was a mistake and a half, there was no reason to use Roy because there was Marth, but Pichu is pretty cool and has one up on Pikachu in a few spots, as does Doc over Mario. Also Doc and Pichu are cool. Can't underestimate the Pichu challenge.....too cute divine thunder ftw :)

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Honestly, did anyone actually expect this person to actually eat a hat?
Go to bed, child. You might be late for your seventh grade first period.
So... because he's an idiot... you can automatically assume that he's in seventh grade?

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
Good god! This is smash boards.

I look at the URL. www.smashboards.com

I think my eyesight must be going though, I was certain I was on gamefaqs!

Get a grip! I find it repulsive that a mod came in here, and did not lock it!

Nuvia

Smash Ace
You sure like to cause drama, young Groundwalker.

Good god! This is smash boards.

I look at the URL. www.smashboards.com

I think my eyesight must be going though, I was certain I was on gamefaqs!

Get a grip! I find it repulsive that a mod came in here, and did not lock it!
In its present state, Smashboards is actually worse than GameFAQs.

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. Smash boards is worse than gamefaqs. But we have a chance of recovering, indeed, we MUST recover, or we will sink to the level of GF forever.

An intelligent topic here is more common than GF though.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Wow, I thought this was locked. x[

He better not have eaten Pikachu's party hat .>:[

10hats

ConeZone

Smash Ace
hahaha...he committed suicide, sorry its not funny but the randomness of that comment makes me laugh

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I would have said "If Captain Falcon isn't in Brawl, I'll eat my dog's **** and put it on youtube."

.....but I wouldn't. Even if for some odd reason Captain Falcon didn't get into Brawl.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
I'll eat my hat

Meaning

A display of confidence in a particular outcome. For example, 'She's always late. If she gets that train I'll eat my hat'.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
* reads this thread *

wow......

* turns on camera and eats hat because of stupid things said *

cough!

* chokes and dies *

THE END

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
More importantly, did Gimpy eat his hat after Ike turned out to be a good character?

Back at E4, he said he'd eat it with salt and pepper if Ike was anything but bottom tier.

HiImEvans

Smash Rookie
Because we all know there's was good reasons to support Ness' return, right?

Right?

Either way, Ness still doesn't deserve to be in Brawl. It's cool to see him and Lucas together from a Mother fan's standpoint but it was really a waste of space.

What can you say, though? Sakurai is human, he makes mistakes, and like with the transition between Melee and Brawl where he took out Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu who were mistakes in Melee, he'll do the same with a future Smash game as he learns his mistakes in Brawl.
I won many matches with Dr. Mario. He was a very good character, I think even better then Mario. Roy was decent. You just need to know all the techniques properly in order to see his full potential. i.e. short jumping, wave dashing, teching, edge guarding/hogging, etc.

Top Bottom