• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Olimar finally get Popular or something?

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Yeah, no ums or buts about it, I think everyone here can agree that Olimar is probably the character almost everyone sees online the least, and it was that way for me too, until I ran into at least 3 good ones last night on For Glory. From what I've seen, the Pikmin desynch isn't really an issue anymore on WiiU(I don't know a whole about Olimar tbh), and still has alot of his good traits from Brawl outside of lesser damage output. (which tbh, he really needed that nerf, Red Pikmin in Brawl were ridiculous doing 20%) He still has good tilts, multi-purpose smashes, good grab game, nair OoS, and pressure game. I can post some videos of one of the Olimars I fought if I remembered to save it, but yeah, is Olimar a potential sleeper character? Are people still dismissing him as a bottom tier for the wrong reasons, or are there any other nerfs I'm not too aware outside of the desynch issue on 3DS that hurt him? Share your opinions, Olimar mains, because I'm simply just a Captain Falcon main who's above average at best.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
People who don't know the character call him low tier. People who get beat by the character start to understand. People who put the time into playing the character already know he can be good with enough practice.

ThatManMa

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-5034-8443
Olimar certainly has potential to be a good character. Just not enough people play him yet to get his style recognized by most

Hadon

Smash Rookie
Truth is Olimar is definitly higher mid tier. People are instantly turned off because they hear he isn't the powerhouse, grab master anymore. If people learned him i'm sure they'd see how incredibly well he fits into this game's style.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Yeah I think a lot of people were turned off by his nerfs. Less Pikmin, nerfed grab game, and nerfed camping game. But in return he got a significantly better recovery, better offense options, easier Pikmin navigation, and a good combo/follow-up game.

In all my FG matches online I have only encountered one other Olimar main, and he was decent at best defenetally needed some work.

Last edited:

Valand43

Smash Rookie
As the others here said most dismissed him as low tier and bad because they were so used to his brawl incarnation. The fact that Olimar's pikmin problems on the 3DS version were the first to make themselves public didn't help him at all either because it became many peoples' first impression of him as a whole. However, the people that held on and put in a lot of time and effort into learning him already know his true potential. It's mostly the issue of "Oh he's nerfed? Not super high tier? Time to roll another flavor of the month(erm flavor of the current installation lol).

Slugginz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slugginz
I loved Olimar for how he played in Brawl and I still love him in Smash 4. People focus on his damage numbers and his tier position which is fair enough but that's not why I love him. I love the idea of throwing my Pikmin into people's faces or grabbing them from distances and whacking them with my Pikmin. He's hilarious.

Sure, he had a big nerf (probably one the biggest of all the characters.) but to me he still plays fluently and I love playing him. His new Up-B does annoy me though because I loved hitting them in the air with the older one in Brawl. I have heard this Pikmin desync is a bit of a problem but I haven't experienced it or haven't noticed.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
His new Up-B does annoy me though because I loved hitting them in the air with the older one in Brawl.
Just in case you didn't know you can act out of it with any aerial attack and I even think you can air dodge out of it but I'm not sure. Personally I'm glad the chain is gone as now Olimar has one of the best recoveries in the game, and that's a huge buff considering he had the absolute worst in Brawl.

Slugginz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slugginz
Personally I'm glad the chain is gone as now Olimar has one of the best recoveries in the game, and that's a huge buff considering he had the absolute worst in Brawl.
I know that his recovery wasn't great in Brawl but I liked the move itself. If somebody is launched in the air and gradually falling down just whack 'em back up. I do agree though, his new recovery is a lot better.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I liked the move itself. If somebody is launched in the air and gradually falling down just whack 'em back up.
I guess any opponent you faced wasn't that great at air dodging. Don't get me wrong I still think it was a good anti-air move, just not that great.

Last edited:

Legend28469

Smash Cadet
NNID
Legend28469
I've still only seen one other Olimar around in for glory, but this is good. Let them continue to underestimate so we can get easy wins. People are always so surprised when I win with Olimar (Alph is my preference).

2k6

Smash Cadet
This. I can now see alot of olimar user in vgbootcamp on youtube

TheGentleman

Smash Rookie
I feel like the people on Event Hubs and other tier lists calling him worst of the worst dirt bottom tier simply havent played against him enough, or havent played against a good one. Also it doesnt help that no one has really placed very high in big tourneys with him

Not_Ikely

Smash Rookie
Event tiers is useless because the people voting don't know the characters well enough to make an informed vote. I didn't give olimar much of a chance at first either because of the bogus tiers. It's fine that he is underrated as that makes for surprise value. Great recovery and ability to rack of damage, many kill options such as tilt, throws, and aerials aside from smashes. Character depth, strategy, and learning curve keeps it interesting. Only complaint is his weight and laggy grab that whiffs up close. 3DS desync is a lot worse though.

PFANT2015

Smash Rookie
NNID
pfantproductions
Olimar was my Main in Brawl from day one and nothing changed when ssb4 came out for the 3ds/wiiu.
Yes his character has changed quite a bit and he may not be the total beast that eventually sky rocketed up the tier lists of brawl but in my opinion Olimar is still extremely viable in this game. Let alone the fact that we've yet to crack the ultimate form of pikmin manipulation via which colors create the best character. I have a feeling two purple and white will be very effective. That as well as two blue and one red. He just has so many options due to how the color of his pikmin effect his overall gameplay. Once players start to manage pikmin more effectively depending on a current opponents damage, that's when the real fun will begin. And now that there are only 3 in the chain and the order isn't random anymore, they will be easier to pluck into these type of damage dependent set ups.

Last edited:

SaMiChi

Smash Rookie
I was absolutely decimated several matches by an Olimar. That led me to main him. I've been playing him for the past month. Definitely fun to play. I like his size. He's so tiny, but the Pikmin gives him this deceptive range. The only gripe I have with him is when the Pikmin can't keep up and I do a Fair or something that is Pokemon dependent and I just whiff.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I would like to see a better highlight or a notorious point of the active Pikmin (or maybe another way of switching trough Pikmins), and an improvement to the follow up to Olimar/Alph, I keep thinking it is delayed.

I do believe that could improve the performance without buff him.

Michi3

Smash Rookie
How on earth is Olimar 47th out of 48 on the evenhubs tier list? He may not be top tier, but he is no way at the bottom.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I saw about three different Olimar's in For Glory the past week, but I'm going to guess that was because of the vote thing Nintendo provides in the game and people use certain characters to gain something new from the points they've earned using said character. He's certainly not a bad character. I have trouble against him because of how tiny he is.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I'm so happy Olimar/Alph and Wii Fit Trainer have extremely low usage in for glory. Because Sakurai bases strengths on that mode and in the future patch he will buff the bottom tiers. Olimar is great as he is but man if he gets anymore buffs... Yes!

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
How on earth is Olimar 47th out of 48 on the evenhubs tier list? He may not be top tier, but he is no way at the bottom.
That's no way true. Olimar has a tremendous potential, you should not take seriously, as a rule or absolute true the tier list you see over here and there.

Veskah

Smash Rookie
Surprisingly, I have not seen an Olimar on FG to date. I see mostly Sonic, Sheik, and Falco.

Altair357

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Altair357
3DS FC
5284-1411-2846
Olimar is definitely rare, but the character I've seen the least is Meta Knight. I've seen maybe 2-3 Meta Knights on For Glory, but probably at least ten Olimars.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
olimar get popular also in the tournament but nobody can use him decently. only myran and dabuz use him well ( as i know)

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Characters you rarely ever see in For Glory:
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Olimar/Alph
-Meta Knight
-Dr. Mario

Out of these I'd say Meta Knight is the rarest one. I can see Sakutai giving them buffs(even though Olimar will be godly with more buffs).

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
Characters you rarely ever see in For Glory:
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Olimar/Alph
-Meta Knight
-Dr. Mario

Out of these I'd say Meta Knight is the rarest one. I can see Sakutai giving them buffs(even though Olimar will be godly with more buffs).
Also Dedede, Duck Hunt and Peach I almost never see. But Olimar is definitely the rarest. I've seen him only one time I can remember and I've played a lot of FG matches.

What I see most commonly is just endless Links, Little Macs and Captain Falcons...so boring. I used to never see villager but I think people are catching on because I'm seeing him a lot lately.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Also Dedede, Duck Hunt and Peach I almost never see. But Olimar is definitely the rarest. I've seen him only one time I can remember and I've played a lot of FG matches.

What I see most commonly is just endless Links, Little Macs and Captain Falcons...so boring. I used to never see villager but I think people are catching on because I'm seeing him a lot lately.
King Dedede gets a lot of use for his noob friendly Side B and Up B.

I've seen plenty of Duck Hunts.

Peach I agree is rare. Probably because she's a technical character

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I've seen more Olimars than Duck Hunts. The only time I see Duck Hunts is when someone gets something in them playing my Duck Hunt that they have to also play Duck Hunt. I see Round one Olimars a little more regularly.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I saw a lot of Olimars starting about a month ago and it's been pretty constant. Duck Hunt, Doc and G&W are the ones I see the least. I always end up playing a ditto as Olimar a few times a week which ends up being a lot of fun getting some time outside of G&W.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti

You don't see King DeDeDe? I see him more than most other characters!

Anyways, being underrated is good, but imagine being a Kirby main (me) who beats people to salt and they mirror match because Kirby is "easy to play" .-.

I have probably seen 5 Olimars in total, but fighting them is so fun. Every single one I repeatedly faced for 20 minutes.

I want to main Olimar, so I'm practicing with him.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132

I want to main Olimar, so I'm practicing with him.
Keep at it man Olimar needs more representation, just try to refrain from using him on the 3DS version he becomes really frustrating to control with the Pikmin problems.

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
What people fail to realize is that Olimar is still good, but not Brawl good. Having the nerfs done to him (mostly the dreadful cooldown on his smash attacks that made me feel like I was using D3's smashes) turned people off to the idea of Olimar being this deadly, ground monarch-esque god that you couldn't get in on, but honestly I enjoy the nerfs. It makes me feel a little less grimy when I play him (despite switching to Villager as my primary main) but he's def at least mid tier. I couldn't possibly foresee him being a top tier worthy character but a lot of his Brawl setups are still around and that's enough to keep him viable.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I used Olimar a bit. I like him better than Brawl because he is more consistent now. Still think he should have maybe 5 pikmin instead of three just because three feels so...lonely in a way, but he'd have to be re-balanced for that.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
I don't know I still see people call him trash and no one still wants to use him, but I do see more people using him, so idk I say nothing has really changed

2k6

Smash Cadet
Well... Looks like Olimar got so famous right now because of dabuz using him to grand finals. This just feels weird now since he got moved to A- tier. One of the reasons why I main him because he is a low tier and everyone gets shocked when I win against them.

Veskah

Smash Rookie
I am perfectly fine with him gaining popularity and more people using him. That means there are more people in the lab looking for tech and combos.

Top Bottom