• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did anybody know it is pronounced May-lay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
yes, what did you think it was, mee-lea? heh. I think it can also be prnounced ME-LAY

ddjk

Smash Apprentice
Cmon, youre a smash addict and you don't know how to pronounce the title to your future life consuming addiction?

mê·lée /'mA-"lA, mA-'/: a confused struggle; especially a hand-to-hand fight among several people

that about perfectly describes it. Thanks to good ole merriam-webster!

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
My mom told me it was pronounced may-lay...I think that Super Smash Bros. Mayhem would also be a good name.........

funnylookinkid

Smash Apprentice
But Melee fits better.

It took me showing my friend a dictionary with the pronunciation that it was pronounced ME-LAY and not MEE-LEE.

spaz519

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was mispronouncing mêlée way before SSBM was announced. Somebody woould ask me what I was doing, and I'd say, "A StarCraft mee-lee." Now I know why I got strange looks when I said that...

* :confused: really, really confused*
May Lee
Like the month "May" that comes after-
::looks at calender::
April and before-
::looks again::
June.
And then, lee. Like the last name, Lee. Like "me" only with a "l"
May Lee = Melee

Right?! :confused:

stardingo

Smash Ace
It's pronounced may-lay. Just like the month May and Lay's potato chips. May-Lay = Melee. :)

I still think that Super Smash Bros. Deluxe sounds good. ;)

KoopaKing

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kyoto, The Legendary City of The Four Guardians an
*Laughs* This is more of a sense of accent then right terms. I say potatoe, you say poe-taught-oh. Get it? If you don't just remember that 'Red-necks' and people from Pennsylvania speak very differently. Though, no matter what it's called, it's still the same thing. Just correct your friends if you hate stupid pronounciations.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
EAST COASTER! Umm, I mean, the major dialects of the U.S. seem to be centered in the eastern part of the country. You have many different dialects within the same city there and in the south, where as, out here in the west, we have almost non at all. I say potatoe, and it is pronounced potatoe for hundreds of miles in any direction.

PS. MAY-LAY!!!!

Inevitable

Smash Apprentice
Was going to make a thread just like this one, glad I searched. :)

I think it's May-Lay too, some of my friends call it Mee-Lee.

Wow I never seen any of these people..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom