• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DI Against Cpt. Falcon

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
We're all probably aware how easily Captain Falcon can convert off of his grabs, even guaranteeing conversion into a knee at certain percents. Unfortunately, there aren't any good Falcons I have the opportunity to play with regularly, so I come to you people for advice. When I get grabbed by Falcon, what DI is optimal at what percentages? Does the type of throw change this? I'm just looking for a few rules that I can memorize to take into my next Falcon match so that I'm not actively falling into his trap every time. Thanks!

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I don't know everything, but M2K has said that DI down and in (he said SDI specifically, but ASDI would help, too) when he's uair comboing (air wobbling) you, is actually super good for breaking up the combo.

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
I don't know everything, but M2K has said that DI down and in (he said SDI specifically, but ASDI would help, too) when he's uair comboing (air wobbling) you, is actually super good for breaking up the combo.
I agree, di up or no di are options that set you up for an easy knee, while di down helps you get down much easier, but marth is combo food to falcon

AirFair

Marth tho
I've been told to DI down and away basically everything except for finishing moves. It helps you escape dthrow and uthrow stuff.
You can sdi the first hit of nair out and then get a grab, but ASDI is almost as useful.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I've been told to DI down and away basically everything except for finishing moves. It helps you escape dthrow and uthrow stuff.
You can sdi the first hit of nair out and then get a grab, but ASDI is almost as useful.
Like I mentioned earlier, M2K said that DI down and IN, not away, actually wrecks Falcon's uair strings, esp. with SDI.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Makes sense, as Falcon usually travels forward with his aerials and DI'ing (SDI and ASDI) so that you travel through Falcon rather than away would put you in a much tougher position for a followup.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
So would down and away be better for throws? Because I feel like down and in would make it easier to follow up a throw

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Down and away on throws

Down and away in situations where you're near center stage and need to tech asap

Up and away against (offstage or near-ledge) uair to prevent double uair and uair to knee

Survival DI on knee probably starts being safe just after 60-65%.... lower than this, up and away (offstage) or down and away (onstage)

Remember that strong moves take a few extra frames to come out. You have time to switch from whichever form of away DI is appropriate to survival DI before a knee, for example.

Try to make combos impossible without giving them a free edgeguard.

Top Bottom