• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Games Texas Open 2 -- March 24th, Mesquite

liius

Smash Journeyman
You dont have to register, you register at the tournament. And when are we getting a clear ruleset?

Edit: Oh, by the way, is wobbling banned or not banned?

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I'm strongly encouraging not banned. If enough people complain beforehand, though, I'll reconsider.

Kind of like my old Items rules :p man that didn't go well.

I'm very hesitant to ban it in MOAST events right off the bat, because that's not an example I want to set.

TGM

Smash Lord
Scav, me(tgm) bear(liius) mouf, riot and gabe will be attending this awesome event. I need to get a rematch from you buddy!

We all agree that wobbling should be banned. im not here to start an argument but wobbling DOES cause truly epic players to lose to lower level player. could you consider that when you post the rules...................by the way, where are the rules for this shin-dig?

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
We're finalizing them as we speak.

And what truly epic players have lost to a lesser player because of it?

TGM

Smash Lord
CaveMan lost to wobbles at EVO right? i only assume cave man is epic.

And scav.........rematch.......please.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Of course ;) it's the least I could do.

I don't consider Caveman so unbeatable that any strategy that 3-stocks him is worth a ban. Have I ever beaten him? Well, no. I also haven't beaten Drew in 2 years.

It looks like I'm going to get outvoted on this one, but my position remains the same. If we ban it, then everyone will ban it. In Texas, at least. It sounds arrogant, but we're trying to establish a standard. Everyone will probably ban it anyways, but so much stuff is banned in smash right now that I want to be absolutely sure it deserves it.

Don't worry, I'm sure I've sealed my fate to get wobbled out of the tournament, either by Wobbles or anyone who has picked it up since Evo.

TGM

Smash Lord
Don't worry, I'm sure I've sealed my fate to get wobbled out of the tournament, either by Wobbles or anyone who has picked it up since Evo.
anyone who has picked it up since evo? see? that is exactly what will be happening, now that people know that tournaments as of now arnt banning it, all they need to do is wobble and earn unfair wins.

Your running the thing and if you allow it, ill still show. all im saying is there are people who are better than wobbles(or anyone who wins matches with that move) but yet still lose. its just unfair......IN MY OPINION.

THANKS FOR THE REMATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I want to see it happen.

We didn't even ban Hyrule Temple at MOAST1. It took an 18 minute ironman match between Cory and Mattdeezie to convince me.

If we ban a strategy simply because we *think* it's unbeatable and warping, then we are demonstrating a lack of faith in our community. What we're saying is we can't beat it and can't work around it. I have more faith in our players than that.

If it turns into Ices vs Not Icies, then yes, it is warping and needs to be banned. But it has not had time to properly mature yet. I sure thought Link's up-B out of shield was terribly unfair back in the day.

TGM

Smash Lord
so until its banned...........its OK for people such as caveman to lose to it?

to me, its like saying killing people is OK untill its deemed illegal

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I wasn't aware that beating Caveman was morally reprehensible.

The problem is not that Caveman lost to it. The problem is not that a "lesser" player can beat a "better" one. It's not that it's easy to do.

The problem is, simply, "will this require you to play Icies, Peach and Samus, period." the game pretty much already requires that you play Fox, Falco, Shiek or Marth. If anything, a character that encourages Samus and Peach would *add* to the health of the game.

Lets say everyone starts playing Icies just for the infinite. Do you think they will have the skill necessary to beat a talented Peach or Samus? Even Wobbles lost to DoH last week. It's possible that people playing just for the infinite will end up winning *less* than otherwise, because their game is a 1-trick pony that everyone will have learned the workaround for.

I'm intrigued, actually. It's possible that we will develop into a rock-paper-scissors metagame. Fox/Falco/Shiek/Marth have the advantage over Samus/Peach/Falcon, Icies have the advantage over ShiFalFoMa (lawl), and Samus/Peach/Falcon have the advantage over Icies.

It's possible that this will end up adding depth to the game, and we won't know until we watch it in action.

Edit: It's not like I'm ignoring the problem. In fact, I'm probably the only person on circuit staff that thinks it shouldn't be banned.

Remember, every playgroup that is trying to perfect wobbling is also trying to perfect strategies against it.

Sintenal

Ostin
BRoomer
just be glad that the soul breaker glitch is banned

now bowser no longer has any worries at all

thank you scav, for realizing what strategies truely needed to be banned

IceColdEdge

Smash Rookie
Sorry that I have been so slow in getting this out... but there is the schedule for this weekends saturday festivities.

Schedule

Sign-ups: 12:00 noon Free Pizza to those who show up @ Noon - Sponsored by Papa John's

1:30pm start
Tekken 5: DR
DOA4
Smash

4:30pm start
Virtua Fighter 5 (may be slightly delayed depending on Tekken)
3rd Strike
Soul Calibur 3

6:00pm (I will have free play on these games going no later than 4:30 or so and will try to start as close to that time as possible... These will hopefully start before this time)
MvC2
CvS2

- I.C.E.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Wobbling has not proved to be broken just yet; Wobbles won one single elimination tournament and got 5th at another in which it wasn't banned.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
An extraordinary event is what we *aren't* looking for. I'm looking for a consistent indicator that this is a broken, metagame-warping strategy.

No tournament community bans a strategy after 1 skewed tournament. That's irresponsible and reactionary. I want the reason to be "because it's unbeatable," not "because I can't beat it."

If wobbling consistently and regularly ruins tournaments, then it will be banned. If people start not going to tournaments because of wobbling, then it will be banned. But even then, how many people stop going to tournaments because of space animals? I'll bet we could get a sexy turnout in a "top tier is banned" tournament.

It's possible that icies are just top tier, and we have to learn to hate them like the rest of it.

If you look at a community like Magic: The Gathering, they take a looooooooong time before banning anything from standard play. People adapt, they learn the broken strategy, and if it's still too broken and permutes the scene, then they ban it. Right now might just be a good time to learn how to play Samus.

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
I would not go to a tournament because of wobbling if i thought I had a serious chance of winning the tournament. Since I don't think so, the moneys distance hasn't changed much. I think a top tier banned tourny is a little too discriminatory. Low tier tournies are mad fun and with a low entrance fee would be popular

Whether it's beatable or not isn't my focus so much as should it have to be worked around. Space animals have inherent power (speed, shine, spike, ups) that makes them hard to beat. The ICs also have great inherent power and plenty of grab combos that make them quite tough, but a grab combo that has such incredible stipulations to bypass, need not be allowed.

comma comma comma i can't write

TGM

Smash Lord
Thanks for the rules!

And i see what your saying scav, im just here to tell you that wobbles has set something in motion by doing this. if you dont ban it, i wont cry......... untill i get wobbled that is.

anyways, directions! liius said he mapquested it and it didnt turn up anything useful.

can you give me an EXACT address..........as close as you can to EXACT.

DoH, houston isnt as bad as u think. me and mouf will prove it.

also, can i bring a tv and wii? please respond.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
From Google Maps:

Take the ramp on the left onto I-635 E
Take exit 5 for Gross Rd
Turn right at Gross Rd
Make a U-turn at Jane St

The address is:
Game Trade Game Store and Console LAN Center
1425 Gross Rd
Mesquite, TX 75149

As always, you can call me if you get lost: 214-505-3938.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I don't like how people are just assuming that I'm a crappy player and could never have stood a chance against Caveman if I hadn't been infiniting. I'm not THAT bad :/

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
An extraordinary event is what we *aren't* looking for. I'm looking for a consistent indicator that this is a broken, metagame-warping strategy.

No tournament community bans a strategy after 1 skewed tournament. That's irresponsible and reactionary. I want the reason to be "because it's unbeatable," not "because I can't beat it."

If wobbling consistently and regularly ruins tournaments, then it will be banned. If people start not going to tournaments because of wobbling, then it will be banned. But even then, how many people stop going to tournaments because of space animals? I'll bet we could get a sexy turnout in a "top tier is banned" tournament.

It's possible that icies are just top tier, and we have to learn to hate them like the rest of it.

If you look at a community like Magic: The Gathering, they take a looooooooong time before banning anything from standard play. People adapt, they learn the broken strategy, and if it's still too broken and permutes the scene, then they ban it. Right now might just be a good time to learn how to play Samus.
Lol This makes me want to give out "How to play Samus!" Lessons XD. Or maybe I should just make one of those carry around pamphlets thingys >_>.. But seriously..learn how to play peach >_>..My fox did better then my samus vs wobbles.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I forgot: You can bring a TV and wii if you want, TGM. I think we're set on TVs, but I won't STOP anyone from bringing them ;)

felix45

Smash Lord
@everyone on wobbling - do you REALLY think you will stand a better chance at winning the tourney should it be banned? The only people who stand a chance at taking it all are skeptical on the issue still, while the rest of us who place low are whining about it?

When I look at it that's what I think. I know honorbound will destroy me with or without it. it really doesn't matter, facing honorbound for me = loss. I'd actually rather him do it to me, I think its pretty cool personally if you can mind game someone into a grab w/ nana right there. it's probably just me though, lol

@scav - oh dont you worry, I WILL find a way to do mewtwo's soul stunner glitch without a red shell! XD

lvl9

Smash Journeyman
Hey Scav i am coming to this from Arkansas so dont be suprised when you get a phone call from me when im lost. :)

Oh yeah anyone want to money match me? $5 $1 whatever. :chuckle:

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Hokay then, I will. Maybe we should combine both of your offers for an INCREDIBLE $6 MONEY MATCH!

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Hokay then, I will. Maybe we should combine both of your offers for an INCREDIBLE $6 MONEY MATCH!
Wow $6 that is $1 more than $5, never thought of that, veredy intresting. rofl sorry I am in a very sarcastic mode today. not sure if thats good or bad. =/

I might go to this, will lose first match, but I might end up going... I will have to talk to doug again to see if I can get a ride.

ugh... that is way early compaired to my normal wake up time.... maby I should stop staying up till 3 in the morning on school nights... =/

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
@everyone on wobbling - do you REALLY think you will stand a better chance at winning the tourney should it be banned? The only people who stand a chance at taking it all are skeptical on the issue still, while the rest of us who place low are whining about it?
Scav is the only one on the panel for Moast Circuit for it and believe Chang, Mr.C and plenty of other pros around here are against it. I'd say the majority are.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Wrong; I'm for it ;)

And Mr C has stated in the past that he wouldn't ban wobbling if he ever hosted a tournament

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I, DoH and Bluezaft are all against banning "for now." Drew is the only one pro. So nyeah :p

Ok, so rules are finalized:

----------------------------------

Format

4 stock
8 minute time limit

Double Elimination
No items
All matches are 2/3.

Winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals are 3/5.

If you play somebody in the Winner's finals then meet them again in grand finals, the set extends to a best of 11 and you keep the previous scores. If not, the winner of the loser’s bracket must win 2 sets of 3/5 whereas the winner must win only 1.

In the event of a tie: sudden death is played out, then the winner of that chooses the stage for the final extra 1 stock 2 minute match

Double blind character picks upon request.

Stage Selection

First stage random or agreed upon

Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot choose a stage you have already won in in the set.

Stage striking: each player can strike one stage for the set and also reset a single random stage.

Advanced slob picks: loser picks stage, then winner picks character, then loser picks character

Teams:

Team Attack On
Life stealing allowed

Banned

Controllers modified for non-aesthetic purposes

IC Freeze glitch

Tactics used to stall a match by making a character untouchable (wall-bombing, rising pound).

The IC infinite grab is banned for purposes of stalling (The IC player must stop at 150%)
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] Singles Stage Selection

Random Stages: Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination

Counterpick Stages: Randoms + Rainbow Cruise, Corneria, Brinstar, Mute City, Jungle Japes, DK64, Green Greens, Poke Floats

Banned Stages: Icicle Mountain, Kongo Jungle, Great Bay, Hyrule Temple, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island 64, Venom, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Fourside, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom, Mushroom Kingdom 2, Onett, Princess Peach's Castle

Doubles Stage Selection

Doubles Random Stages: Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, Final Destination, Battlefield

Doubles Counterpick Stages: Randoms + Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Mushroom Kingdom 2, Great Bay, Green Greens, Corneria, DK64

Doubles Banned Stages: Mute City, Icicle Mountain, Kongo Jungle, Fountain of Dreams, Hyrule Temple, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island 64, Venom, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Fourside, Big Blue, Poke Floats, Mushroom Kingdom, Princess Peach's Castle

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Results:

1: Wobbles ($154.00)
2: DoH ($44.00)
3: G@be ($22.00)
4: Bluezaft
5: Scav
5: Shawn Mccolm
7: TGM
7: Jesse Mccolm
9: Mouf
9: Xzalla
9: Bear
9: Riot
13: Lvl9
13: Reckon
13: ed209
13: Brandon Mccolm
17: Lonehero
17: Poot the Box
17: Vash
17: Xero
17: Rage
17: Best

More to come :p I'm tired.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I'm against banning it, but nobody cares what my opinion on the subject is.

Yay, it was fun. I played a lot of people in friendlies and I can't remember who was who, really. Umm... it was great playing all the guys from across TX, thanks for coming, and I hope to see you at the next circuit tournament :)

felix45

Smash Lord
I'm against banning it, but nobody cares what my opinion on the subject is.

Yay, it was fun. I played a lot of people in friendlies and I can't remember who was who, really. Umm... it was great playing all the guys from across TX, thanks for coming, and I hope to see you at the next circuit tournament :)
I care! I like it, forces the smash community to adapt to the new strategy, may make some new playstyles arise and the like.

Sorry I couldn't make it guys, I had work T_T

I'll try next time to make the next moast circuit that comes to dallas by asking for the day off.

DarkMagus

Smash Apprentice
i got there too late to register T.T but i did enjoy watching wobbles play and win with like every char thats not the ic's

felix45

Smash Lord
man ****ing target made me work when I wasnt on the schedual. I should kill them or something, ****ing target. **** target. tourney would have been fun. so much fun.

The Knee

Smash Apprentice
hay hay this is riot

SHOUTOUTS

Wobbles - you really do look like tim allen...and even if wobbling was banned you wouldve still won, you embarassed DOH by using all those chars...insane game and watch dude

DOH - mahh bombz and stuff

scav - you were really cool, nice playing your mario, the cape sucks ( the player not the move)

bluezaft - uhh nice marth i guess

TGM - super sonic wave sending zombies back into the grave, you have double shift gay i wanted to see hills but next weekend we can do that

mouf - go havz on a pie

G@be - really cool, i didnt think you would be that good, we need to play more, oh and i just remembered the butter on the french fries thing

bear - thanks for spotting me when my wallet was gone missing...im glad i found it at your house when we got back

josh/xzalla - dude wtf you went into super ganon mode, i really wanted to play it before tournament but you kept picking mario lolz

everyone else - uhh stuff

kirbykid shouldve came

Top Bottom