• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Games Texas Open 2 -- March 24th, Mesquite

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
DIRECTIONS

From Google Maps:

Take the ramp on the left onto I-635 E
Take exit 5 for Gross Rd
Turn right at Gross Rd
Make a U-turn at Jane St

The address is:
Game Trade Game Store and Console LAN Center
1425 Gross Rd
Mesquite, TX 75149

--------------------------------------

Bored of tournaments yet?

No? You guys are crazy.

Well then. Good news!

After some wining and dining (actually it was margaritas, beer and cheeseburgers) we are going forward with an affiliation with DFW Games. They have added us to their roster of events for their next event.

Details are as follows:

Date - March 24, 2007

Venue
Game Trade Game Store and Console LAN Center
1425 Gross Rd
Mesquite, TX 75149

Entree Fee: $5 registration, $10 for Smash.

Right now, the plan is just for 1v1s. If we have time, we can host a 2v2 tournament as well, but come expecting duels. The tournament begins at noon, though I will have more confirmation on Smash's specific date.

As this is an open event, there will be several other games as well:

Tekken 5: DR ($15)
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike ($10)
Marvel VS Capcom 2 ($10)
Capcom VS Snk 2 ($10)
Soul Calibur 3 ($10)
Dead or Alive 4 ($10)
Virtua Fighter 5 ($10)

Payout - Standard 70/20/10 plus prizes/season points

Apparently there is a big-name Japanese player coming for DOA4, and a few other goodies.

We're excited, because this tournament will serve as a practice run for several things. We're in charge of our own tournament, so I'll be hitting up Drew for a ruleset shortly. This is a pilot run for what is sure to be a very beneficial relationship -- partnered with DFWGames, we will have access to some impressive resources to grow our community.

Also, we will be using MOAST circuit procedures to make sure everything runs cleanly and efficiently.

I hope to see the Dallas crew come out and support us. Lets show these guys how a real fighting game is played ;)

More information is available at the DFW Games website here.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I guess I have no choice, as I want to see this take off. Let's try and get as many Dallas folk to help make a hugely great impression on these guys.

Scav, you want me to go to Best Buy or something and see about a microphone + speaker?

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Go ahead and investigate prices for me. If anyone has any musician friends, you could ask them too. We're looking to get a small sound system that we can bust out for tournaments, but our budget is... very small. It might end up being a bullhorn. Which scares me, because the Doug theme doesn't sound very good through a bullhorn, and might make Wife and Oro angry.

felix45

Smash Lord
I have a really old 90s kareoke thingy that can record using cassette tapes? (its basically like a very small amp w/ 2 mics and thats it really)

If I can find it and you guys want to use it I dont care if you keep it, what seeing as I used it once when we got the house (old owners gave it to us yadda yadda) and it kinda just has sat around ever since.

either way not sure if I'll be able to make this, I'll see if I can try to clear my scheduel for the first one, not making any promises though.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
**** 15$. if smash keep brakin me imma hav to quit dis **** lol. nall i could neva quit, i'll prolly go to this if i can get in some work with my dad. if i cn make atleast 60$ before this i'll go, but most likely that'll prolly not happen

swift

Smash Journeyman
I won first place at that tornament last time. I was trying to keep that tourney a secret from all the good people so I can get that money again. Oh well ,that's where I met Melee 1 and the rest is history.

swift

Smash Journeyman
Hey scav, are the rules the same as last time? Last time I played at Game Trade It was five stock, no counterpicks, and just always on random. Also I believe it was best out of three and the final was best out of five. Do you know by any chance?

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
We have complete control over the ruleset. Expect something much more Moast compatible ;)

SaberPrime

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, me and some of the Arkansas folk are thinking about coming to this tourny on Saturday, any chance one of you guys would be kind enough to house us for a day? Two days maybe at max but I doubt we will be staying two days if we come.

So far it will be me + 3 others probably, another from Arkansas is coming but he has his own place to stay and will be riding with another person.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Yeah, I can house you guys, SaberGuy....if you don't mind sleeping on the floor.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
This is my personal recommendation for 1v1 ruleset:

4 Stock, 7 minutes.
Double Elimination.

All matches are 2/3. Winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals are 3/5. If you play somebody in the Winner's finals then meet them again in grand finals, the set extends to a best of 11 and you keep the previous scores. If not, then the set extends to 6/11 and the winner's finalist has a 3 point lead.

Example: Drew and Chang meet in the winner's finals, with Drew winning 3-2. Chang goes into loser's bracket and beats DarknessOfHeart in the loser's finals. He then goes on to play Drew in grand finals. Instead of playing a 3/5, they will have a best out of 11 match with the score at 3-2. Drew will need 3 victories to win, while Chang will need 4. The winner of this set takes 1st place.

Example 2: Let's say that Chang plays DarknessOfHeart in loser's finals and loses. DoH will go on to play Drew in a 6/11 set with the score at 3-0. Drew will need 3 victories to win while DoH will need 6. Whoever wins this set takes 1st.

Stages on random: Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Dreamland 64.

Stages available for counterpick: All random stages, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Mute City, Pokefloats, DK64, Corneria, Brinstar.

Stage striking: You may strike ONE stage from the entire list, random or counterpick. You must do this before the first match begins. This means that you can decide not to strike anything, but if the first match randomizes to a level you don't like, you can strike it before play commences. The level you strike is considered BANNED for the set, which means you cannot counterpick a stage you have struck.

The first match will be on a random stage. If the players agree, however, the first match can be played on any of the neutral stages.

You cannot counterpick a stage you have WON on. This means if the first round is FD and you lose, you can still decide to play on FD if you like (I prefer this to Dave's Stupid Rule, which says no stage can be played twice in one set, regardless of the outcome).

Advanced Slob Picks: Counterpicks are done according to the following procedure: The loser of the previous game picks the stage, the winner picks a character, and then the loser picks a character.

Rounds will be played in the following order: Opening Round, Winner's bracket round 1, Loser's bracket round 1, Winner's bracket round 2, Loser's bracket round 2, etc. Please do not play until your round is called by an official.

Players with byes will be announced before the tournament begins.

Stuff that's not permitted:

Pausing randomly during the game without the opponent's permission. If there is a substantial reason for the pause (i.e., a personal emergency such as coughing up blood, having a seizure, or hearing an ice-cream truck), then ONE pause is permitted during the set. If there is any dispute as to whether the pause was justified, then tournament officials may be called upon. If the pause has no influence on the outcome of the match and does not interfere with the opponent's playing, then it will result in a warning at first offense.

Hitting the opponent. This includes anything beyond a playful nudge on the shoulder, as well as any physical interaction with their controller during match play. If there are no in-game repercussions, a warning will be issued at first offense, and at second the player will be disqualified. If the infraction results in direct game repercussions, the player will be disqualified at first offense.

Obstructing the opponent's vision of the screen. Please remain in your seat until the match has concluded. Victory dances are permitted, but remain sportsmanlike.

No Ice-climber freeze glitch.

No excessive stalling of the game using Peach's wallbomb or Jigglypuff's rising pound. Excessive means delaying play without justifiable reason. If there is any dispute as to whether the delay was justified, a tournament official will arbitrate the dispute.

Permitted uses of these tactics:
Recovery
Survival during a moving level's transition phases (i.e., Mute City)
Avoiding the opponent for the last 30 seconds (or less) of play to win by timer.
Avoiding the opponent for the duration of their respawn invincibility.

At the discretion of tournament officials, players who are being violently loud or choleric may be asked to step outside momentarily to regain their composure. If there is any violence during the event, players may be asked to leave the venue and will be disqualified. Any spectators or supporters of a player who are excessively rude or violent to any rival players may be asked to leave.

Do not play on TVs that are specified for tournament play unless your match has been called. At the start of the tournament, TV's for friendlies will be designated and labelled. As tournament play progresses, more will open up for friendlies. To keep the event streamlined and efficient, please do not play on tournament only TV's unless you are having a tournament match. This is prevent excessive downtime between matches.

- - - - -

I think this makes a nice sort of "behavioral handbook" and might come in handy for the MOAST Circuit. I'm open to suggested changes to it of course, but I think it's pretty comprehensive ATM.

WiLD BOris

Smash Ace
SOunds Sexy.

Friendlies always stall tourneys. I prefer losing at a reasonable hour.

Hopefully I can make this as My car got F***ing Jacked!!

lvl9

Smash Journeyman
Hey im comming to this. How about you make it easy and go with an MLG rule set. That would make things a lot easier .

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Not really, since MLG changed its rules like... 3 times during the 2006 season. Plus nobody even knew what the rules WERE. :/

liius

Smash Journeyman
Meh, nevermind the housing guys, I shall do the drive in one day, although I rather not prefer doing the drive in one day... 8 hours.. teh sigh

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Why do all the good **** happens when I'm broke? Couldn't go to Evo cause I was broke, and can't go to this cause i'm broke. Maybe God just wants you all to actually have a chance of winning. Knowing the unthinking, unfathomable, undescribable power of my Roy will just crush all of your little smash hopes and dreams, be thankful.. be thankful.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Alright! Infoz!

Signups start at 12:00.

The first events, including Smash, begin at 1:30.

We will have 8 TVs, and the location supplies two cubes. So, Just to be on the safe side, I need two more confirmed gamecubes/copies of smash.

I'll have $20 on me to buy old controllers. So far DoH has offered to hook me up, but it would be nice to have a few controllers where the down cstick still works :p

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hmm I won't be making it to this one guys. DoH..instead of Destruction of Hylian you are going to have to make it Destruction of Houston this time >_>.

liius

Smash Journeyman
Well, what's the name of the place? Cause I enter that name on mapquest and like, 150 other businesses come up.

DarkMagus

Smash Apprentice
u people and ur having ur registration earlier than i normally wake up... -sigh- i should be there and if u still need em i can take a cube/smash

Top Bottom