• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Default KO Punch Super Armor starts on Frame 8, both Customs have it start on Frame 4

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Me and Ampharos were crawling through Dant's files and found this. Ampharos has confirmed it in training mode by comparing the timings to Sheik attacks. (Sheik tilts hit on frame 5, and can interrupt default KO Punch but not either custom version.)

That is all. Happy punching!

JAHCruncher

Smash Rookie
As in when Super Armor starts? Sorry if dumb question, I'm tired.

EDIT: nevermind >.< I figured it out by reading again.

Last edited:

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
This is interesting, but I wonder why they decided to do it this way.

Either way I never use the default neutral b so I suppose changing it won't do any harm when customs moves are available, specially for having half the start up frames for the super armor in KO punch :D

Thanks for the info Thinkaman!

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Yeah, it's super weird. All three version of KO punch hit on frame 9 with the exact same damage (35% base, I dunno if KO punch is affected by staleness or not since it's a weird move) and knockback. Default has an extra hitbox on bone 16 with the same size and other parameters as the bone 0 hitbox all three share. It is possible but not necessarily the case that default might hit a bigger area (it depends on whether bone 16 and bone 0 on Mac overlap or not, and without having access to Little Mac's bone structure, that's impossible to know); none of my gameplay has ever implied that it does, but it is a strange difference in the code. The super armor difference is very real though; KO punch is armored starting f4 for both custom versions and f8 for default. I was very surprised custom verison even affected KO punch, but this is a pretty compelling reason in my book to bring neutral-2 on Mac since 4 more frames of armor is honestly a big deal.

Top Bottom