• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Dededestruction: D3 Research and Tech Thread

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Not sure why I never thought of the possibility of using gyros like that as Dedede. Which is odd, since I actually play a lot of R.O.B. (Doc is my "official" secondary but my R.O.B. should be by all means).

You're right on how gyro works. The direction you're facing when you drop/throw it is the direction they will receive knockback. Good stuff man.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Video was blocked in Canada gotta reupload one sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_hu49quzXY Boom
Brilliant, Girth. Sad I couldn't help test but hey we'll do more soon. As I see it, next lab steps with this, to maybe be combined into a master vid in the end:
  • Catching with D3 - our safest options, how to best catch on ground (airdodge), etc
  • Z-dropping: what your options are, how to use them (aerials/Gordos,Inhale basically)
  • Character specific: researching setups with everyone's items - ROB, Diddy, Peach, Megaman...who else
Super solid stuff. These kinds of things might actually impact the matchup chart significantly.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Good stuff Girth. This was one of the first things I thought about whenever the match-up versus item characters came up because I sub ROB, but I never got this in depth with it. Getting comfortable with item play in general is going to be big against certain characters...the most important ones, imo, will be ROB, Diddy, Pac-man, and possibly Mega Man.

DEX_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crowind
3DS FC
5086-1792-9558
I feel like our safest option to catch the gyro is the auto cancelled dair, we'd suffer no endlag.
The timing is more difficult though, if not in danger/hurry the airdodge and the nair are simpler (airdodge is simpler than nair imho)

i guess we all agree that jab is not pratical, but it obiously works fine if well spaced

dash attack is just... the dash attack

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
https://youtu.be/nL6BzRndHHQ

Got around to recording that replay of me messing around with dash stuff. Turns out you can't upload Miiverse replays, so I had to record off my crummy capture device. I had to nix out part of it (though I think this gets the idea across anyways) because part of the recording glitched. Incidentally I think I found out one of the reasons why you can't upload Miiverse matches: I had to censor out a Star Wars spoiler. >_>

shiningpaladin

Smash Rookie
NNID
shiningpaladin
https://youtu.be/nL6BzRndHHQ

Got around to recording that replay of me messing around with dash stuff. Turns out you can't upload Miiverse replays, so I had to record off my crummy capture device. I had to nix out part of it (though I think this gets the idea across anyways) because part of the recording glitched. Incidentally I think I found out one of the reasons why you can't upload Miiverse matches: I had to censor out a Star Wars spoiler. >_>
Yeah I've actually been practicing Extended dash dancing with DDD as well as Perfect Pivot. I was really bad at PP but dash dancing I can't quite get with DDD. I can do it with Lil mac and C.Falcon (I personally think it easy to do on them) but DDD its really hard to get the rhythm. Not sure if extended dash will help him but I wanna at least try to learn it. As for PP I can do it in one direction lol. I'm still trying to work the muscle memory into doing combos with it. So far just by the look of it PP might help DDD a little.

Also I've been playing around with Nair and some other stuff and found some interesting things. I'll post a video soon. I finally got my capture card! Also even though I don't think online is the best option to test is anyone here willing to help me lab? I feel kinda useless trying this stuff in Training mode (I mean as far as confirmation) and no follow DDD to help me out.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I finally got my capture card! Also even though I don't think online is the best option to test is anyone here willing to help me lab? I feel kinda useless trying this stuff in Training mode (I mean as far as confirmation) and no follow DDD to help me out.
Ask in the Discord group whenever you want a partner - there's almost always someone there ready to jump in.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I've been noticing certain inconsistencies with Gordo trajectories during gameplay.
Now to apply this!

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
A fun gordo tech (it might have already been discussed, if so, just let me know):
Gordo toss while dropping down on the opponent such that they are in between the gordo and D3 just as he is pulling it out. If you do it right, the hammer will hit them into the back side of gordo launching them behind you. You might be able to follow up with a bair, I've only pulled it off a couple of times in real play. I'll try to take a video in a bit.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
A fun gordo tech (it might have already been discussed, if so, just let me know):
Gordo toss while dropping down on the opponent such that they are in between the gordo and D3 just as he is pulling it out. If you do it right, the hammer will hit them into the back side of gordo launching them behind you. You might be able to follow up with a bair, I've only pulled it off a couple of times in real play. I'll try to take a video in a bit.
Thanks for posting! We're well aware of this actually - see the vid I posted only a few posts ago.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Don't know how useful this could be, but...

I've noticed that, when an opponent shields a F-Smash, the shield drop lag usually basically guarantees us a Dtilt or Ftilt. Don't know the exact frame data on all of this, but I think only really fast attacks (Sheiks jab) may counter it.

If there was some way to consistently force a shield, it might have some use. Any ideas on how to do that?

shiningpaladin

Smash Rookie
NNID
shiningpaladin
So this toke me some time. A lot of work went into this since I'm still new to video editing. The main thing is I hope the things I present in this video will prove to be useful. Even if it isn't I'll keep trying harder! For the King!

Also sorry if the video is a bit long I didn't think to just make short clips of each idea. I'll certainly be shortening the stuff post in the future.

Here's a video showcasing some stuff Nair can do. The late hit of Nair at various % can pop the opponent up enough that certain follow-up are possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BaxT3aRSc4

Main thing to take away from this video is the concepts, and to hopefully have some people give it a shot. I did actually manage to try some of the things out and they seem work. I'll try posting some matches with some later.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
So this toke me some time. A lot of work went into this since I'm still new to video editing. The main thing is I hope the things I present in this video will prove to be useful. Even if it isn't I'll keep trying harder! For the King!
Great work on one of your first videos! I see the time you spent on this and the explanations you gave, your love for the King is much appreciated.

Two main points I have about the vid / a future vid on this topic for you:
  1. Nair has an immediate strong hitbox and a weak late hitbox, and clarifying this in your video AND testing both hitboxes is critical. For most of your video, it looked like you used the weak hitbox, but then it looked like sometimes you used the strong. Laying out true combo followups for both strong and weak hits of Nair is the next step here (I know Grab is a legit followup at low %s as well). Then, Zero Suit is not the best dummy to be testing followups on. First test on a middleweight (mario), then see when the followups still work on a fastfaller (sheik), lightweight (puff), and heavyweight (DK).
  2. Human testing. Training mode is fine for ideas, but a lot of those followups (like Dair) would very rarely work on anyone with a jump button and a brain. Join the D3 Discord chat, and ask for some testing partners when you make your footage! Or just ask here. I guarantee there'll be someone willing to jump on with you.
Again, thanks much for the effort - let's push this forward now into a solidified method.

Last edited:

shiningpaladin

Smash Rookie
NNID
shiningpaladin
Great work on one of your first videos! I see the time you spent on this and the explanations you gave, your love for the King is much appreciated.

Two main points I have about the vid / a future vid on this topic for you:
  1. Nair has an immediate strong hitbox and a weak late hitbox, and clarifying this in your video AND testing both hitboxes is critical. For most of your video, it looked like you used the weak hitbox, but then it looked like sometimes you used the strong. Laying out true combo followups for both strong and weak hits of Nair is the next step here (I know Grab is a legit followup at low %s as well). Then, Zero Suit is not the best dummy to be testing followups on. First test on a middleweight (mario), then see when the followups still work on a fastfaller (sheik), lightweight (puff), and heavyweight (DK).
  2. Human testing. Training mode is fine for ideas, but a lot of those followups (like Dair) would very rarely work on anyone with a jump button and a brain. Join the D3 Discord chat, and ask for some testing partners when you make your footage! Or just ask here. I guarantee there'll be someone willing to jump on with you.
Again, thanks much for the effort - let's push this forward now into a solidified method.
I know the human testing part is important. I kinda joined the discord half way though my vid editing, so I wanted to finish what I had for the awareness. I'm gonna test for sure. I also thought I specified that it was the weaker hit my bad. I only really used the weaker hit since the point was that it kept the opponent in a reachable proximity of DDD. The thing I got to test the most was the Nair to Utilt, I don't wanna say "true combo" since its a pretty committed thing to say, but I get the two moves pretty easy fighting online in FG and with friends, but might just be players without fast reaction. Still that one I feel most confident in since I did it the most.
Those characters to test on, now thats something I didn't quite know taken mental note of that!

I know I was kinda stretching it with the Dair lol but I see onstage spikes from matches and figured if we could find someway to make it work for DDD since meteor damage puts the opponent in a crazy amount of hitstun. I really hope Nair > inhale ends up being viable. I tested it with a friend but they got board of labbing with me lol.

I'll certainly be on Discord soon asking for some help so I can make some more solid contribution. I work ovenight, so morning and probably afternoons are the free time I get.

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I know the human testing part is important. I kinda joined the discord half way though my vid editing, so I wanted to finish what I had for the awareness. I'm gonna test for sure. I also thought I specified that it was the weaker hit my bad. I only really used the weaker hit since the point was that it kept the opponent in a reachable proximity of DDD. The thing I got to test the most was the Nair to Utilt, I don't wanna say "true combo" since its a pretty committed thing to say, but I get the two moves pretty easy fighting online in FG and with friends, but might just be players without fast reaction. Still that one I feel most confident in since I did it the most.
Unfortunately, just because something works online or with friends in no way means it's a viable competitive setup. "True Combo" is testable - training mode will register it as such. Otherwise the opponent can just mash airdodge or jump and they're free. But then you have to test DI as well, that's when human testing is useful. We all know Nair -> Utilt works, but is that optimal? When is Nair -> Grab better for damage potential? That kind of thing is what testing is great for.

Nair -> Inhale is interesting, and definitely usable. However I can tell you offhand it's not "true." The opponent can probably mash any aerial and hit D3, again it needs to be tested with a human.

Also, yes, the strong Nair hit is harder to combo from - but that doesn't mean impossible. At low %s it's definitely possible, and strong Nair may even be safe on shield against come characters (Luigi for example). Still worth testing for sure.

And again, good work, thanks for your contribution!

shiningpaladin

Smash Rookie
NNID
shiningpaladin
Unfortunately, just because something works online or with friends in no way means it's a viable competitive setup. "True Combo" is testable - training mode will register it as such. Otherwise the opponent can just mash airdodge or jump and they're free. But then you have to test DI as well, that's when human testing is useful. We all know Nair -> Utilt works, but is that optimal? When is Nair -> Grab better for damage potential? That kind of thing is what testing is great for.

Nair -> Inhale is interesting, and definitely usable. However I can tell you offhand it's not "true." The opponent can probably mash any aerial and hit D3, again it needs to be tested with a human.

Also, yes, the strong Nair hit is harder to combo from - but that doesn't mean impossible. At low %s it's definitely possible, and strong Nair may even be safe on shield against come characters (Luigi for example). Still worth testing for sure.

And again, good work, thanks for your contribution!
Well do have a bunch of other stuff recorded. As for the strong Nair I got some stuff with it too, low % stuff like you said.
I did wanna try looking for character specific stuff though. Particually fast fallers cause out of all the smash 4 tech i see for diferent character fast fallers seem to always be the most effected by the tech, or combos. So I'll test with shiek player, if I can find one.

Also earlier in the thread you were talking about perfect pivot, I haven't really got much out of it. I'm not the best at doing it though. I did try my hardest to do extended dash dance with DDD with a slow speed and he can certainly do it but I can't get the rhythm in normal speed. Can you do it?

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Well do have a bunch of other stuff recorded. As for the strong Nair I got some stuff with it too, low % stuff like you said.
I did wanna try looking for character specific stuff though. Particually fast fallers cause out of all the smash 4 tech i see for diferent character fast fallers seem to always be the most effected by the tech, or combos. So I'll test with shiek player, if I can find one.

Also earlier in the thread you were talking about perfect pivot, I haven't really got much out of it. I'm not the best at doing it though. I did try my hardest to do extended dash dance with DDD with a slow speed and he can certainly do it but I can't get the rhythm in normal speed. Can you do it?
You don't have to record everything, you know. Even just a list of what %s things combo would be great. Like: "Weak Nair combos into ( all on Mario): grab at 0-15%, Utilt at 5-50%, Uair at 60%-90%", etc. Save yourself the time and editing.

I can perfect pivot left lol. But otherwise I wouldn't stress about it as much, D3 doesn't get as much benefit from the technique as many others do. I'd focus much more on reading your opponent and capitalizing on Gordo traps if you want to improve.

shiningpaladin

Smash Rookie
NNID
shiningpaladin
You don't have to record everything, you know. Even just a list of what %s things combo would be great. Like: "Weak Nair combos into ( all on Mario): grab at 0-15%, Utilt at 5-50%, Uair at 60%-90%", etc. Save yourself the time and editing.

I can perfect pivot left lol. But otherwise I wouldn't stress about it as much, D3 doesn't get as much benefit from the technique as many others do. I'd focus much more on reading your opponent and capitalizing on Gordo traps if you want to improve.
Okay I'll definitely keep that in mind cause editing that vid toke a long time.

Yeah I can only do it to the right with perfect pivot lol.

Actually I wanted to know how much hitstun does Weak Nair do? Cause knowing might make it easier for me to find stuff. Maybe point me to something that explains hitstun in detail. My knowledge of it is pretty general. It'll help me help the DDD meta so I know the stuff I test has some real viability, human testing and all.

EDIT:
Hey I found something interesting!
https://youtu.be/rrIRbeMkgqQ?t=270

This vid by Gamepurps talks about Corrins counter, as well as Roy, Ike, and Shulk being they have the strongest counters in the game. There's a part where he talks about DDD and how he dies to these counters. Pretty useful information since counters all the rage now, and gives a better idea of when to go for harder reads and grabs.

Last edited:

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
Soul Train Soul Train , after doing all that research into gordos, have you ever seen the elusive double hit gordo? I've seen twice now in my year or so of playing d3, and I'm curious if you have seen it before. It happened to me in the online waiting training just a minute ago, so I couldn't grab a video, but essential the gordo hits the enemy two times in rapid succession (maybe 3-6 frames apart).

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Soul Train Soul Train , after doing all that research into gordos, have you ever seen the elusive double hit gordo? I've seen twice now in my year or so of playing d3, and I'm curious if you have seen it before. It happened to me in the online waiting training just a minute ago, so I couldn't grab a video, but essential the gordo hits the enemy two times in rapid succession (maybe 3-6 frames apart).
Yep, good question! The short of what's happening is that the Gordo hitbox continues to overlap with the enemy hurtbox after hitstun ends. This tends to happen 1. On really bad DI, especially with bigger characters, and 2. When Gordo hits the lower part of the enemy - ie they airdodge and come out of invulnerability right into the Gordo. And now some fun new bonus facts: Gordo's hitbox actually shrinks with every bounce, along with the % it deals. Meaning, it'll be easier to get that double hit before the bounce, as the Gordo will be "bigger" and more likely to make contact again.

But unfortunately, it's very limited as far as competitive application. Anyone with half a brain and a directional stick shouldn't be getting hit twice by Gordo. I could make a proof of concept vid on this, but right now I'm prioritizing my video energies to the final Gordo Mastery stuffs - got some really great stuff to share there :)

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
Yep, good question! The short of what's happening is that the Gordo hitbox continues to overlap with the enemy hurtbox after hitstun ends. This tends to happen 1. On really bad DI, especially with bigger characters, and 2. When Gordo hits the lower part of the enemy - ie they airdodge and come out of invulnerability right into the Gordo. And now some fun new bonus facts: Gordo's hitbox actually shrinks with every bounce, along with the % it deals. Meaning, it'll be easier to get that double hit before the bounce, as the Gordo will be "bigger" and more likely to make contact again.

But unfortunately, it's very limited as far as competitive application. Anyone with half a brain and a directional stick shouldn't be getting hit twice by Gordo. I could make a proof of concept vid on this, but right now I'm prioritizing my video energies to the final Gordo Mastery stuffs - got some really great stuff to share there :)
Thanks for the thorough response! I didn't know that the hit boxes shrink as it goes, but that's really good to know!
On a side note, I was looking through the FP and I've done a bit of research on Instant UpB Landing before I read this thread completely. I'll do a write up on what I've found and how I use it with some gifs, I don't have any video editing skills, so that's the best I can do. But maybe I can share something that others don't know. Should I post that here or in a new thread?

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Thanks for the thorough response! I didn't know that the hit boxes shrink as it goes, but that's really good to know!
On a side note, I was looking through the FP and I've done a bit of research on Instant UpB Landing before I read this thread completely. I'll do a write up on what I've found and how I use it with some gifs, I don't have any video editing skills, so that's the best I can do. But maybe I can share something that others don't know. Should I post that here or in a new thread?
Sweet! Please do post that here, that's the entire purpose of this thread. And also so I can lock noob threads like "NEW GRAB TO NAIR TO FSMASH 0-DEATH TECH", lulz.

With movie editing: dude I use freaking Windows Movie Maker. Have yet to need anything else for my guides. Download it free here, it's stupid easy to pick up and use.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Got something interesting to show. Nothing really crazy but might be worth looking into. I call it Gordo drag.
Using an U gordo then inhale right behind it will drag the opponent to you either hitting the gordo, or inhaling them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmcApec2bU&feature=youtu.be
I like the creativity a lot. Honestly though - it's a competitively impractical setup. They can easily shield the Gordo, then attack/grab you before the Inhale pulls them in enough. The Gordo Grab is the same idea but purely better - faster, safer, and with much greater damage potential. See @Girthquake's vid on that here.

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, today I'm going to talk about: Ledge Drop upBs (Instant UpB Landing on the OP).

What is it?
The Ledge Drop upB or LDUB is a very simple technique that relies on holding down while passing the edge. In case you don't know, you can hold down near the edge to stop your character from grabbing the ledge. Here's a great video explaining how to do it while mixing with an upB. The basic idea is very easy to perform, what isn't so easy is: A) the drop B) the downward spacing.

Pros
- LDUB provides an additional option for recovering either on the ledge, or below the ledge.
- Great for mixing up your ledge recoveries.
- UpB land does a suprising amount of damage to shields, I don't have the exact numbers but I would guess that it is +/-1/2 the full shield.
- Can be used to pit fall or even meteor an opponent.
- Will catch opponents off guard the first time you use it.
- Provides a get up option with mild heavy armor.
- The ledge protects you on the way up, allowing just the decent of UpB to leave you open to attacks while also minimizing the amount of time that the decent is active.
- You are not 100% comited to finishing the tech after you start. It can be "canceled" by simply releasing down

Cons
- Slow.
- Obvious after the first one or two uses.
- Suffers UpB's abysmal landing lag.
- VERY punishable if you don't manage to break their shield.
- It's pretty easy to see coming once you know what to look for.
- Risky: this move takes you inches from the bottom blast zone and involves fast falling with Dedede from the ledge. I would say that I kill myself ~5% of the time using this move, and I use it pretty often.
- You may die on lag: So many times in For Glory I have died when the up input is missed due to lag and Dedede performs a side B instead.
- More risk: when the move is executed properly, Dedede will be off screen for a second. You need to be comfortable not just off the stage with him, but also off screen.

How to do it
If you watched the video I linked you should have a basic idea on how to perform the tech but I'll go over it in case someone cannot view the video.
1. Position yourself below the ledge.
2. UpB with a vector towards the center of the stage.
3. Hold down so that you do not grab the ledge.

It's simple to perform, but difficult to perfect. This is what it looks like when performed with the least amount of hang time:
https://gfycat.com/DeficientGiftedAsiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam

And the most hang time that will still leave you comfortable with the amount of heavy armor:
https://gfycat.com/DistantScholarlyAmericansaddlebred

This one shows a good middle ground:
https://gfycat.com/SoggyGlaringDrafthorse

Why is it difficult to perfect?
It comes down to timing and spacing. Take a look at the image below, this is roughly the range that you can land on the ledge. Where you land is almost entirely based on how far you let dedede drop before starting the tech.

Two things to keep in mind:
1. The further in stage you go, the higher up you will need to be, and the less protection you get from the ledge. (more hang time = badish)
2. There is no one spot that you want to aim for, this move is slightly situational: sometimes you want to go for a shield break by landing right on their head, another time you may just want to land behind the opponent. Practice the full spectrum so you can decide exactly where you are going to land when the time comes.

#2 above ultimately is why it is difficult to perfect. You should be able to accurately land anywhere within that range. (I can't do this, but I don't play competitively)

Differences on Stages
First off, let me just say that I LOVE Final Destination for this tech, you can catch so many opponents off guard by puffing below the stage then attacking from above seconds later. That being said, let's look at how the shapes of stages affect this tech.

I'll start off with FD (you should too), since it's the easiest stage to perform this tech on. Dedede is heavily impacted by the angle of the roof that he is slamming into. FD provides a long 45 degree angle and the king is happy to ride it all the way up while gaining invisible side ways velocity. The resulting vector looks something like this:

This clip shows both the long hang time and short hang time on FD while taking advantage of the full ledge protection:
https://gfycat.com/SoupyReliableElkhound

The flat bottom stages (eg. Smashville, MiiVerse) are risky until you have the hang of the move, if you drop too far, you'll bonk onto the bottom. I've found that vectoring your initial drop away from the stage will remedy the problem and allow you to hit the much smaller ledge angles on these maps. This clip show exactly how not deal with this situation:
https://gfycat.com/JitteryMenacingBushbaby

And finally the solid side stages (omega boxing ring, that one duck hunt level). These maps are also very easy to perform the tech on, and have the added benefit of masking your side ways momentum making it seem as if you are simply recovering as normal. There are plenty of clips of these stages already elsewhere in this post, so look at those.

A Cool Variation
Instead of vectoring towards the stage, perform a neutral upB. Hold down as normal, but right as you contact the opponent, tap up to cancel The King's decent. This will result in a pit fall and you hanging from the ledge below. This can be done further in the stage aswell, but is almost completely useless because of Dedede's x3 ending lag on a non crashing upB decent will let the opponent escape the pit fall before you even recover.
https://gfycat.com/EnviousNextAfricangoldencat
This can also be performed on opponents who are off the ledge or chose a jump ledge get up. If they are off the stage at all, this move will result in a VERY strong spike. Sorry I don't have a video of that being performed.

An update on this: TMJ_Jack TMJ_Jack has been working on this and has a nice video of it in use. He calls it grave digging when you follow it up with an fsmash at high percents.

Canceling
In this next clip, I performed the tech 3 times in a row with one variation on the second time. I canceled the tech after starting it. You can cancel anytime before you pass the ledge by simply releasing down and letting Dedede grab the ledge. Please keep in mind that this may leave you open to ledge punishes if you dropped off the ledge already:
https://gfycat.com/SpectacularEnlightenedAfricancivet

Thanks Soul Train Soul Train for bringing up another form of canceling this move!
It is also possible to cancel after you have already passed the ledge . This version of the cancel is difficult to perform, but it involves passing the ledge by holding down, then quickly tapping up to cancel the smash down animation, then quickly vectoring away from the stage. If you do it correctly, you will pass the ledge and fall back down grabbing the ledge. It looks something like this:
https://gfycat.com/CheerfulPeriodicGnatcatcher
This form of the cancel is fantastic for mix ups and fake outs to help prevent LDUB staling and becoming readable.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Guys, take notes - this is how you write a research and tech post. Thorough analysis, explanation, video breakdown, and testing. Solid work, your time put in here is much appreciated.

There's one bit of tech that fits nicely into this: the fakeout. You UpB past the ledge and look like you're going to land on them like usual, but then flip out and grab ledge. You just have to get the spacing down so you don't land onstage. Will have a video of this soon.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
There's one bit of tech that fits nicely into this: the fakeout. You UpB past the ledge and look like you're going to land on them like usual, but then flip out and grab ledge. You just have to get the spacing down so you don't land onstage. Will have a video of this soon.
I'd like to see a of video that. It's probably super trippy and disorienting.

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see a of video that. It's probably super trippy and disorienting.
Here's a clip of this:
https://gfycat.com/CheerfulPeriodicGnatcatcher
Also, I edited my post showing what not to do on flat bottom stages lol.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Gordo Mastery Part 2 Complete! This one focuses on Gordo sniping, with some fantastic tech throughout. Part 3 will put everything together in terms of edgeguarding with a thorough breakdown of the Gordo stick - stay tuned. Huge thanks to Girthquake Girthquake for allowing me to use some footage and generally being a solid lab partner.

https://youtu.be/E1ckA9EBHaI

Sneak preview:
Capture.PNG

DEX_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crowind
3DS FC
5086-1792-9558
Nice stuff as always!

I've noticed a thing about the gordo grab: if you dash grab you move your opponent, so that a gordo which wouldn't have hit would hit

https://youtu.be/SRqwQwUaZZA at 2:35

i don't know how consistently one can pull this off in a real match, but i find it indeed interesting to think about it when positioning gordos for grabs

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Nice stuff as always!

I've noticed a thing about the gordo grab: if you dash grab you move your opponent, so that a gordo which wouldn't have hit would hit

i don't know how consistently one can pull this off in a real match, but i find it indeed interesting to think about it when positioning gordos for grabs
Thanks! Grab into Gordo is very well documented in the OP. Even in my previous video in the Gordo Mastery series, there are several examples - it's quite viable and worth implementing into your D3 game. Condition them to shield, lob a fullhop Dgordo over their head, and use it as an approach. Again all of this is broken down in this video.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Nice stuff as always!

If your plan is to dthrow into/through the Gordo you want to dash grab if possible. Sort of a given but it is important to point out. You can get some interesting results out of uthrow as well.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Hello. I was just playing a villager another day, and I noticed that if he is recoverring with his balloons, if you space it right, you can bypass his balloons with dair and spike him directly.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I wonder if these could be applied to anything?
https://gfycat.com/MeekJitteryHammerheadbird <--- Great URL for Dedede
https://gfycat.com/AbsoluteNewBadger
Yea, those are great for getting gordo out fast and acting like a real projectile. Use it to protect your return to stage at times.

Also, new point, I realized that Cloud's recovery is completely gimpable by DDD's inhale. Just jump off stage and inhale all the way while cloud is recovering and you're guaranteed to catch him. Then just spit him out beneath the stage and he's hopeless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom