• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Decloning Dark Pit: Moveset Ideas (Ongoing)

disfrozen

Smash Rookie
This is what boredom does to me. Oh, well, whatever.

Welcome to the moveset ideas repository, or however that word is written. I love ideating movesets for new characters for smash, or new movesets for existing smash characters in my free time. So, I decided to share ideas with people in the forum, and hopefully get other people to share their ideas too! And also get some criticism, and pointers on what to fix and whatnot. For now, this is only for Dark Pit, feel free to add ideas to other characters, though. Just remember the main focus here is to declone Dark Pit, though.

As I see it, there are five levels of clones.
The first one would be Falco to Fox. They play different, they have different specials, and different moves, at least on this game, even if some moves share names, or concept, they work differently. - This would be a complete moveset overhaul, keeping some base ideas, but making them very different. Personally, I'd avoid changes on this level - they should still be similar, to an extent.
The next one, Lucas to Ness. Their normals are very different, even if they have some similar moves, and similar specials. They still play differently. - Staff movesets would mostly be on this level, or at least staff movesets that keep the Electroshock Arm and/or the Guardian Orbitars, because DP and Pit would play differently, yes, even if some of their moves would be similar.
The third one, Roy to Marth. Different animations, mechanics changes, different specials. They play similar, to an extent, but they are still different to each other. - My personal preference. This would mean they still have similar normals, with some differences that make them feel very different, though. Bow movesets should be around this level, I think.
The fourth one, Lucina to Marth, or Dr. Mario to Mario. Purely mechanic differences. Their animations are exactly the same. - If you just want to change some moves, or add a weapon to the base moveset - the Dark Pit Staff used for smashes and the Nspec comes to mind.
And the last one, Dark Pit to Pit. Animations are the same, mechanics are the same. Only difference is two specials and a normal. - This is precisely why I want him to be decloned. They feel the same, they play the same, their only differences are basically meaningless, even if it kind of makes sense.
I'll tag my own ideas with the level of changes, and I would be thankful if you did too, to give a general idea.

Let's get to the meat of the matter. I also want to say, please share in general terms, because numbers can always be adjusted later, but concepts are a bit harder to fix.

Here's a basic guideline to share the ideas.

Jab:
Ftilt:
Utilt:
Dtilt:
Dash Attack:
Fsmash:
Usmash:
Dsmash:
Nair:
Fair:
Bair:
Uair:
Dair:
Pummel:
Fthrow:
Bthrow:
Uthrow:
Dthrow:
Ledge attack:

Nspec:
+ Custom1:
+ Custom2:
Sspec:
+ Custom1:
+ Custom2:
Uspec:
+ Custom1:
+ Custom2:
Dspec:
+ Custom1:
+ Custom2:
Final Smash:

This is mostly so it doesn't look like a mess. Personally, I think it would be better if you added concept ideas, without numbers, damage, or knockback, because those can be tweaked easily, unlike concepts.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT (06/07): Realized I didn't put the pummel in the moveset. Fixed. Also added some small mechanics differences from Pit.
EDIT (06/26): Cleared up the main post, first moveset -or more precisely its revised version- is in a new post.

Last edited:

disfrozen

Smash Rookie
So. People either aren't interested, or they think the first idea is bad and don't want to say it. Eh.

Set number two, a proper Luigification, or Royification (I'm so coining that term right now).

Aesthetic changes: Wings are narrower, sharper looking, and very dark teal, scarf is the same color as wings. Has a single, thicker dark purple ring around his right wrist, as opposed to Pit's two rings on his left wrist.
Also, standing pose has him slightly more crouched, with his legs spread more apart, essentially making himself a smaller target, and holding his bow to his side and slightly behind. Also, usually holds blades like daggers, both in reverse grip, when the bow is separated. This shows in the attacks, because he usually uses the blades in that grip.

Idle poses:
- Puts blades together, then spins the bow once to the side.
- Glances around, then separates bow into blades.

Mechanic changes: So far, I see two options. Either changing his smash attacks, Nspec and Fthrow to him using the Dark Pit Staff, or change some of his animations to different types of slashes. I probably should list both, even when I already wrote the Staff attacks in the first post. Eh.

A small note. Blade attacks are with the bow separated, while bow slashes are with the bow together, and using it as some kind of polearm, like a glaive, or scythe. Finally, staff attacks make him take out the Dark Pit Staff for the attack.

Jab: triple slash ending in an uppercut. Has an infinite version, with him spinning his bow, and ending with an horizontal slash. You should know this attack by heart by now. No changes here.
Ftilt: closes blades forward in a scissor slash. No changes here, still has less KB than Pit.
Utilt: leans back on one hand to deliver a rising upwards kick. Good launcher. This Utilt is similar to Lucas's, but the kick is frontal, he doesn't turn like the little blond Elvis to attack.
Dtilt: sweeps one blade across the ground in front. No changes here.
Dash Attack: vaulting jump kick, using the bow as a pole. Fast, launches diagonally, more horizontal than vertical, also raises your hurtbox, like how Ryu's DA looks.
Fsmash: slashes diagonally with one blade, then jumps forward, spinning in midair, for a strong slash with the bow. Has a short delay between the second hit comes out, but it's fairly strong. Similar to his actual Fsmash, the second slash is has a different animation, range, and more knockback.
[Fsmash v.2: leans back, then thrusts staff forwards, and fires point-blank. Has a sweetspot at the tip of the staff, with most of the attack's strength, the melee staff hit knocks into the sweetspot. Kinda similar to Samus's Fsmash.]
Usmash: crouches slightly while slashing upwards with left hand blade in reverse grip, then spins around, jumps and delivers a strong upwards slash with the bow. Pretty similar to his actual Usmash, main difference that it's only two hits.
[Usmash v.2: crouches slightly before thrusting staff upwards, then firing point-blank. Has a sweetspot at the tip of the staff. Animation is similar to Marth's Usmash, but most of the damage is on the tip of the staff, with the melee hit knocking into it.]
Dsmash: slashes down in front of him, then stabs back with one blade. No changes here.
[Dsmash v.2: points staff to the floor in front of him and fires a concentrated burst. Similar to Mewtwo's Dsmash.]
Nair: spins bow in front of him, hitting multiple times. Same attack, number of hits reduced, damage of each hit increased. Animation lasts less.
Fair: leans forwards and slashes with both blades in a wide "x" motion. Fast startup, autocancels after the slashes, and has a sweetspot when both blades hit, which is a semi-spike. Good for strings, can also KO if sweetspotted.
Bair: thrusts both blades behind him, scissoring at the tip. No changes here.
Uair: spins bow on top of him, hitting multiple times. Same attack, number of hits reduced, damage of each hit increased. Animation lasts less, also gets a finisher hit, similar to Nair, a circular slash with the bow.
Dair: slashes down outwards with a reverse grip, has a sweetspot at the start of the animation which spikes. Pretty much the same, only that it's front-to-back instead of back-to-front.
Pummel: quick knee jab. No changes here.
Fthrow: slashes away the opponent with the bow. No changes here.
[Fthrow v.2: stabs with the staff, then fires point-blank. Stronger than actual Fthrow, can kill at mid percents.]
Bthrow: spins around with the opponent trailing behind and slams them on the ground behind him. No changes here.
Uthrow: rolls on his back and handstand kicks the opponent upwards. No changes here.
Dthrow: quickly pins the opponent to the ground before bringing his bow down on their back like an axe. No changes here.
[Dthrow v.2: kicks the opponent down, then shoots them while they're in the ground. Mostly an animation change.]
Ledge attack: vaults onto the stage, then delivers a sweep kick. No changes here.

Nspec: Dark Pit Staff. Has both rapid fire and charge shots. Rapid fire is similar to Megaman's jab, three shots, and you can walk while shooting, but these clash with attacks and other projectiles. Charge shots charge over time, with the ring on his right hand glowing purple when fully charged, and are similar to R.O.B's laser, but narrower, faster, and stronger. You can't move while firing a charge shot, but they can be angled.
+ Custom1: Trick Shot. Deals more damage and knockback the farther the laser is from Dark Pit when you hit. Gains power with distance, basically, going from low damage/only hitstun, to a powerful hit that launches diagonally. Also, shots can bounce off the ground and walls.
+ Custom2: Piercing Shot. Charge shot deals extra damage on shield, but charges much slower. Also, rapid fire shots go through other projectiles.
Sspec: Electroshock Arm. No changes here.
+ Custom1: End-All Arm. Interception. Doesn't need a target to initiate the hit now. Has more endlag, though.
+ Custom2: Compact Arm. Quickshock. No changes here.
Uspec: Power of Flight (Viridi). No changes here.
+ Custom1: Slashing Flight. Particle is now slashing, like razor blades of wind. Sounds cool, huh? Also gets a launcher last hit.
+ Custom2: Twister Flight. Maybe a bit more distance, but it's fine as it is. Just a name change.
Dspec: Violet Palm. Dark Pit sweeps laterally with the Violet Palm in front of him, reflecting projectiles. The attack can also turn enemies around. Mirror Shield, Palm version. No, you can't block Final Smashes with this one.
+ Custom1: Shocking Palm. Still a sweep with the palm, but this one has an electric particle, and it launches laterally, doing decent damage. Doesn't reflect projectiles, though. Impact Palm, anyone?
+ Custom2: Amplifying Palm. Animation lasts less, projectiles reflected have twice the power and more speed.
Final Smash: Lightning Chariot. Dark Pit calls down the Lightning Chariot, hops on it, and flies offscreen, then a reticle appears on screen. When the button is pressed again, or a set amount has passed, Dark Pit rams the Lightning Chariot through that spot at supersonic speed. A Dragoon-esque Final Smash, animation resembles the time when he rammed the Lightning Chariot into the Chaos Vortex's entrance in Chapter 20. It's one hit, it's powerful, has strong knockback. It's a Final Smash.

EDIT: 06/19. Made Usmash and Uair's description a bit more clear. Also added a bit of detail to his standing poses.

So. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

jaddasroots

Smash Rookie
NNID
jaddasbranch
This is pretty much everything I wanted in a different moveset for Dark Pit. I do have some other ideas however for the specials. That'll take some refreshing on Kid Icarus Uprising to do that though.
However glad someone else thinks the staff should be his main weapon. It would make him slower than pit, just like how in KI:U using a staff is slower than the palms/claws/bows, but would make up for it with fairly decent power.
As for DPit's potential final smashes, I feel the Sharpshooter one would be better. Pittoo prides himself (at least in KI:U) on standing on his own. Sm4sh kinda killed that with the Palutena's advice, making him part of the Forces of Nature.

disfrozen

Smash Rookie
Well, well, well, I've been really bored, and I was hit by inspiration a short while ago.

Also, thanks for your criticism, @ jaddasroots jaddasroots .

-.-.-.-.-.-

Set number three: To keep the Silver Bow, but to actually make him different! Also, more based on Brawl's, or PM's Pit than Sm4sh Pit. A bit of a call-back, if you will. And I also would kind of prefer this one to be implemented, if they must choose one, so you actually have two Pits that fight differently.

[Level three: Roy to Marth.]

Aesthetic changes: Wings are narrower, sharper looking, and very dark teal, scarf is the same color as wings. Has two dark purple rings around his right wrist, as opposed to Pit's rings on his left wrist.
Standing pose is slightly more crouched, holds blades like daggers, both in reverse grip, holds bow to the side and slightly behind.

Idle poses:
- Puts blades together, then spins the bow once to the side.
- Glances around, then separates bow into blades.

Mechanic changes: You know the drill. Bow attacks are with the Silver Bow together, and blade attacks are with it separated into blades. Bow attacks also have a heavier feel than Pit's, like it's a polearm, i.e. a scythe, or a glaive.
Dark Pit has higher air speed, and lower ground speed, to represent him having more control over his own aerial movement thanks to Pandora's powers. ...Don't question game logic, Pit has the Three Sacred Treasures. Enough said.

Jab: triple slash ending in an uppercut. Has an infinite version, with him spinning his bow, and ending with an horizontal slash.
Fine. Not everything will change. I really like this jab. No changes here.
Ftilt: thrusts both blades forwards, then spreads them apart, slashing horizontally.
Two hits, with the second hit having his actual Ftilt's knockback. Decent damage.
Utilt: leans on bow to kick twice upwards, the first kick connecting into the second. The bow counts as a small cutting hit, that will knock nearby opponents into the kicks.
Brawl Utilt, pretty much, with the bow counting as an active hitbox.
Dtilt: sweeps one blade across the ground in front.
Fine as it is, doesn't need a change. No changes here.
Dash Attack: spins the bow while sliding forwards, finishing with a short slash with both hands.
Similar, sort-of, to Ness's dash attack. Taken directly from Uprising, as the bows' melee dash attack.
Fsmash: hip-to-shoulder slash with one blade in a reverse grip, then spins around and delivers an overhead slash with the bow.
Similar to his actual Fsmash, only he takes a step forward, and the animation is different. Basically, he trades some startup for more range.
Usmash: crouching upwards slash with a blade in reverse grip, then spins around and slashes upwards with the bow.
Quite similar to his actual Fsmash, but it's just two hits, with the second one being stronger, instead of three similar hits. The first slash pulls down for the second, and the second slash has all the knockback.
Dsmash: slashes down with one blade in front of him, then stabs back with one blade.
Hard to think of something different, plus this Dsmash is pretty good. No changes here.
Nair: spins bow in front of him, hitting multiple times. No changes here.
Fair: leans forwards and slashes with both blades in a wide "x" motion.
Fast startup, autocancels after the slashes, and has a sweetspot when both blades hit, which is a semi-spike. I like this better than his Brawl Fair, and I already used that Fair (or something similar) as his Ftilt.
Bair: thrusts both blades behind him, scissoring at the tip.
I really like this Bair too. No changes here.
Uair: spins bow on top of him, hitting multiple times.
No changes here,
except maybe the last hit looking more like a finisher, but that's just aesthetic.
Dair: slashes down outwards with a reverse grip, has a sweetspot at the start of the animation which spikes.
I keep thinking of a slash similar to Brawl Marth's, but the sweetspot is only at the start of the move, and the blade is held in a much different style.
Fthrow: turns around to stab the opponent with the bow, thrusting it towards his back.
Animation similar to Shulk's Bthrow, only Dark Pit turns around to do this. Has slightly more KO potential than his actual Fthrow, as compensation for a weaker Ftilt.
Bthrow: spins around with the opponent trailing behind and slams them on the ground behind him. No changes here.
Uthrow: rolls on his back and handstand kicks the opponent upwards. No changes here.
Dthrow: quickly pins the opponent to the ground before bringing his bow down on their back like an axe. No changes here.
Ledge attack: vaults onto the stage, then delivers a sweeping kick. No changes here.

Nspec: Silver Bow. Huh? One set made by me without the Dark Pit Staff? Weird day.
Anyways. Arrows are faster, and they go through most other projectiles, but they will still clash with attacks. Base damage slightly increased, charged is the same.
+Custom1: Trickster Arrows. I really like this name. Arrows gain power and speed as they travel, going from low damage/hitstun, with very slow speed, to heavy damage/knockback, with twice the speed of the normal arrows. Good for sniping, even if you can barely tilt them.
+Custom2: Seeker Arrows. Guiding Arrows. They are faster, though, but they lose their priority, getting "eaten" by almost everything. Still a good projectile. They also have less ending lag after a shot, so you can actually use them for jab locks.
Sspec: Power of Flight (Pandora). You must be crazy, you probably are thinking right now. Yeah, I probably am, but I don't really care much about it.
Dark Pit jumps forward and starts a glide, being able to cancel the glide, after the jump animation (startup), with an aerial or a special move. It also gives you forward momentum. This is the core of this moveset, being the special that everything was based around. You'll do a small amount of contact damage if you hit an enemy, and you can control the glide, but it takes more time to turn, so it's harder to aim than PM's Wings of Icarus.
You can only use it once without landing again, of course. So no multi PoF shenanigans, but you don't lose control, or your jumps after using it.
+Custom1: Raiding Flight. You gain super armor at the start of the move, but you can only go in a straight line, and it gives less momentum. It also knocks away opponents you hit, instead of just hitstun. The particle becomes a small vortex of energy around Dark Pit, similar to his boss battle attack in Chapter Six of Uprising.
+Custom2: Drifting Flight. Same move, but the turning is much faster, even being able to turn straight up, with more startup lag, and slower glide speed. Basically, kind of slower, but more control.
Uspec: Electroshock Arm. I just gave you massive aerial mobility, plus multiple jumps. I'm not giving you any more recovery.
This is a jumping uppercut, not much distance, decent KO power. Sort of like Shield Bash in PM, just a bit more horizontal.
+Custom1: Quickshock Arm. Fine, fine. Uppercut has less power, but you jump higher.
+Custom2: Rolling Thunder. I really like that name. Jump is extremely short, Shocking Spin (Link's first custom Uspec) levels of short. It has very high KO power, though, being able to KO at low percents (low being 95-115%).
Dspec: Violet Palm. Dark Pit sweeps laterally with the Violet Palm in front of him, reflecting projectiles. The attack can also turn enemies around. Mirror Shield, Palm version. No, you can't block Final Smashes with this one.
+Custom1: Shocking Palm. Still a sweep with the palm, but this one has an electric particle, and it launches laterally, doing decent damage. Doesn't reflect projectiles, though. Impact Palm, anyone?
+Custom2: Amplifying Palm. Animation lasts less, projectiles reflected have twice the power and more speed.

Final Smash: Sharpshooter Syndrome. Dark Pit summons the stolen powers from Pandora, and takes out the Dark Pit Staff to freely fly around, shooting bursts of energy. Similar to Yoshi's Super Dragon, or Charizard's Megaevolution X, Dark Pit is able to fly around while shooting the Dark Pit Staff. Press quickly the button for rapid fire bolts, or wait a while then press it to fire a powerful charged shot.
It's a Final Smash.

EDIT (06/23): Cleared up some descriptions, fixed some small details. Also, changed the Final Smash.
EDIT (06/26): Fixed Power of Flight's description, and some minor tweaks to wording and such. Also added classification.
EDIT (07/04): Fixed formatting, and added missing descriptions in the Fsmash and Usmash.

This set is basically PM Pit, but updated to appear in Sm4sh, with some tweaks and what not.

Last edited:

disfrozen

Smash Rookie
Set number four (or one point zero-two): Actually replacing the Silver Bow with the Dark Pit Staff, but keeping the actual character feel, while also being more alike to Uprising (a.k.a. the first set done right). Well, isn't that a tall order. Let's get to work, then.

[Level two: Lucas to Ness.]

Aesthetic changes: Wings are narrower, sharper looking, and very dark teal, scarf is the same color as wings. Has a single, thicker dark purple ring around his right wrist, as opposed to Pit's two rings on his left wrist. This will probably be the case for every single set I cook up.

Idle animations and standing pose: Holds the Dark Pit Staff by the handle, with the barrel crossed behind him. Dark Pit stands in a slightly more crouched way, more weary, so to speak.
- Glances around, taps his foot on the ground, then returns to a ready position.
- Raises the staff in front of him to look through its sight, then lowers it back to his side.

Mechanic changes: Okay. So, like the first set, staff "shot" attacks are usually melee hits, with a strong sweetspot at the tip of the staff, and the staff hit knocking into the sweetspot. This is to represent the staff shots being more powerful the farther you are from the target mechanic from Uprising. Otherwise, the properly "melee" staff attacks are made with the pommel, wielding the staff like a short mace.
Also, Dark Pit has higher air speed, and lower ground speed, to represent him having -somewhat- more control over his own aerial movement, and the staff generally being a ranged weapon.

Jab: a shoulder-to-hip swing with the staff, then thrusts it forward, and finishes with a wide one-handed horizontal swing.
Pretty fast, does medium-to-low damage, like most non-infinite jabs, but it does have good knockback.
Ftilt: a strong, two-handed hip-to-shoulder swing with the staff's pommel.
Mostly used as a get-off-me tool, it doesn't do much damage, and it has set knockback.
Utilt: kicks the opponent upwards, doing a backflip on one hand to recover his balance.
Good launcher, good hitbox in front of you too, has some endlag, but it's mostly a combo tool, or, more precisely, a combo starter.
Dtilt: quickly sweeps the ground in front of him with a low kick.
Another get-off-me tool-slash-combo starter, this one sends a set knockback directly upwards.
Dash attack: thrusts the staff's pommel forwards while sliding to a stop.
Kind of similar to Robin's DA, comes out very fast, has a decent hitbox, and pretty good knockback.
Fsmash: leans back slightly before thrusting the staff forwards, then firing a point-blank burst of energy.
Good knockback, pulls hurtbox back before the hitbox appears, kind of like Wario's Fsmash, it's fairly strong, and the sweetspot is as obvious as Mario's Fsmash, because a purple explosion appears at the tip of the staff.
Usmash: crouches slightly before thrusting the staff upwards, then firing a point-blank burst of energy.
Strong, little startup, decent KO power, has some endlag, sweetspot is a purple explosion at the tip of the staff.
Dsmash: points the staff down and fires a concentrated burst of energy at the ground in front of him.
Similar to Mewtwo's Fsmash, is safe on shield, has pretty good KO power, has startup, and little endlag.
Nair: quickly swings the staff in a wide arc, hitting with its pommel, and holding it from the middle for more range.
This is almost purely a spacing-slash-get-off-me tool. Low knockback, low-ish damage, you use this to push people away so you can get some breathing room. Or firing room. You get the idea.
Fair: quickly swings the staff forwards, and fires a point-blank shot, pushing him back slightly.
The best comparation I can think off is Lucas's Fair, because of the rather obvious (and medium-to-strong) sweetspot, with the tip of the staff shining and what not. The knockback and damage scaling is also similar to that attack.
Bair: turns around slightly to swing the staff backwards, and fires a point-blank shot, pushing him forwards slightly.
This will also turn you around, like Marth's Bair. Little startup, long endlag, but autocancels on landing, so it's basically a way of keeping people off-stage. It also has pretty good damage and knockback, so it's still a KO tool.
Uair: twists in midair to point the staff upwards, and fires a strong shot, making him fall faster.
Fairly fast, and it's two hits, the staff, and the shot. Basically, if you hit with the staff, you'll get the shot hit too. It's kind-of disjointed, so it's a pretty good vertical KO tool. After using the attack, you'll propel yourself to the ground, similar to Ivysaur in Brawl.
Dair: twists in midair to point the staff downwards, and fires a strong shot, pushing him slightly into the air.
The sweetspot spikes, the sourspot knocks laterally. Has the same startup as the Uair, so it's kind of fast, and it pushes you higher in the air after using it, again, similar to Ivysaur in Brawl. The spike isn't very strong to compensate for how reliable the attack is.
Grab and throws as a whole have little changes, to be honest.
Fthrow: turns around slightly, thrusts the staff towards his opponent under his arm, then fires.
Stronger than his actual Fthrow, being a semi-reliable kill throw, but he loses a combo throw in exchange.
Bthrow: quickly spins around with the opponent trailing behind and slams them on the ground behind him. No changes here.
Uthrow: rolls on his back to handstand, and kick upward with both legs. No changes here.
Dthrow: kicks the opponent down, then shoots them while they're in the ground.
Higher base knockback, and higher knockback scaling, also slightly higher damage. I also think the animation fits his character better, but that's probably just me.
Ledge attack: vaults onto the stage, then delivers a sweeping kick. No changes here.

Nspec: Dark Pit Staff. Rapid fire is like Megaman's jab, charge shots are like R.O.B's laser. You can move during rapid fire, you can tilt charged shots. Charge shots charge over time, are narrow and fast, and have relatively high damage, decent KO potential.
+Custom1: Trick Shot. Shots gain damage and speed as they travel, they can also bounce off walls and the floor, going from a very weak, slow shot, to a reliable KO tool... when you can hit the charge shot.
+Custom2: Piercing Shot. Rapid fire can go through other projectiles, charge shots charge slower and have increased shield damage.
Sspec: Ogre Club. A strong, backhand lateral swing with the Ogre Club.
Has some startup, some endlag, medium-to-high base knockback, but little knockback scaling. It reflects projectiles if you hit them with the swing, with increased speed but the same damage. It also deals more damage and knockback at the tip.
+Custom1: Interception Club. A faster, one-handed light swing with the Ogre Club.
Startup is shorter, endlag is the same, damage is much lower, has set knockback. But, reflected projectiles have increased damage, plus the already increased speed.
+Custom2: Megaton Club. A very strong, slow, two-handed swing with the Ogre Club.
Doesn't reflect projectiles, has reduced range, has more startup, and more endlag, but the damage and knockback is increased. A lot. And the swing has super armor.
Uspec: Power of Flight. No changes here.
+Custom1: Slashing Flight. A particle change, from a hit particle, to a slash particle. Otherwise, no changes here.
+Custom2: Twister Flight. A small particle change, to make the tornado darker, and edgier- I mean, rougher-looking. Otherwise, no changes here.
Dspec: Violet Palm. Sweeps the Violet Palm in front of him, reflecting projectiles and making enemies hit turn around, doing minor damage. The turnaround effect is only at the start of the animation, the projectile reflection for the whole sweep.
+Custom1: Shocking Palm. Doesn't reflect projectiles, has an electric particle, does more damage, and has much more knockback. Angle is completely lateral, similar to the Impact Orbitars, but has reduced range, even if the hitbox lasts for the whole sweep.
+Custom2: Amplifying Palm. The reflection lasts only for the start, but it reflects with twice the power and speed, and it has slightly less endlag.
Final Smash: Lightning Chariot. Dark Pit calls for Phosphora, who brings the Lightning Chariot, and jumps in. Then the Chariot flies off-screen, and a reticule appears on screen. After a set amount of time, or when the button is pressed again, they will fly the Chariot at lightning speed through that spot, dealing high electrical damage and knockback. It's a Dragoon-esque Final Smash.

Taunts:
- Dark Pit rests his staff across his shoulders and makes a come motion with his hand, saying "Bring it."
- Dark Pit spins the staff over his head, then points it forward, and says "Who wants some?"
- Dark Pit leans lazily on his upright staff, yawns, then says "You done yet?"

EDIT (06/29): Added description on most new attacks. Also fixed some formatting issues.

This is the revised version of the first moveset, with some tweaks to make it feel better, and make more sense, and also kind of more complete.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I say complete and utter Luigification. There's actually no excuse why Dark Pit is a copy-and-paste from Pit.
As for movesets:
Jab: Reaches forward and releases a blast from the Viridi Palm. It's like Roy's jab, as in it has no followups, but it deals more knockback.
Forward tilt: Swings his Staff forward in a slashing motion.
Down tilt: Swipes his V. Palm hand across the ground, similar to Peach. Has low, vertical knockback, allowing for easy conversions.
Up tilt: Unchanged, but uses the Dark Pit Staff instead of Silver Bow.
Forward smash: A jumping kick similar to the one he used to take down the Underworld Gatekeeper. High knockback, high ending lag.
Down smash: Points the DP Staff at the ground and fires. High knockback and rather fast.
Up smash: A simple upwards slice with the First Blade, knockback is equal throughout the whole blade.
Neutral air: Does a spinning slash with the First Blade, similar to the Hero-Kings and Roy, except it hits once and has decent knockback. Covers both sides.
Forward air: Slashes forward with the Viridi Claws. Similar in animation to Mewtwo's forward air.
Down air: Points the DP Staff downwards and releases a burst from it. The Staff meteors weakly while the burst meteors strongly. On the ground, the burst is a potent KO move.
Back air: Thrusts his Staff behind him without looking. Most powerful at the tip.
Up air: Slashes in an arc above him with the Viridi Claws while doing a backflip. Medium knockback, so it can combo at low percents and KO at high percents.
Pummel: Blasts the opponent with energy from the Viridi Palm. 3%.
Forward throw: Unchanged, but uses the First Blade instead of the Silver Bow.
Down throw: Picks the opponent up and slams them into the ground. Unchanged knockback-wise.
Back throw: Puts the opponent behind him, thrusts the Dark Pit Staff into their back, and fires. Can KO at high percents.
Up throw: Unchanged.
Neutral Special - Dark Pit Staff - Dark Pit fires a beam from his Staff that penetrates opponents and is stronger the farther it travels. It will do 4% up close, 7% about 3 1/2 character models away, 10% halfway across FD, and 12% slightly further than that. Not spammable.
Forward special - Electroshock Arm - Unchanged.
Down special - Shock Orbitars - To keep in line with Dark Pit's relation to electricity, these Orbitars are smaller and have less range than Pit's Guardians, but simply touching them will result in the opponent receiving 5% in electrical damage. They also emit a shockwave upon coming in contact with a projectile instead of reflecting them, and this shockwave will deal 1.2x the damage of the projectile and deal large knockback to boot.
Up special - Power of Flight - This will work like a combination of Pit's Wings of Icarus in Brawl and Lucario's Ride the Wind custom special. Dark Pit will be allowed a few seconds of free flight, although not quite as free as Ride the Wind, because he cannot do a loop. He can also curve to a small extent. It moves faster than Ride the Wind, but slower than Pit's Power of Flight, making it easy to control.
Idle animation #1: Beckons towards himself with the Dark Pit Staff.
Idle animation #2: Emits a little bit of energy from the Viridi Palm, before turning his attention back to the fight.
Side taunt: Unchanged, but uses the Dark Pit Staff instead of the Silver Bow.
Down taunt: Pulls out the Silver Bow, looks at it, then shakes his head and puts it back into hammerspace.
Up taunt: Folds him arms and looks away from the camera while grunting.

I can't be bothered to do custom specials, but his Final Smash would be the Lightning Chariot.

Last edited:

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Then again, the only reason why Dark Pit is made a seperate character instead of acting like F!Robin is because...

...let's be honest, who, in their right mind, would give the Three Sacred Treasures to a ''evil'' rogue-ish clone? I mean, it would seem kind of odd.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I've thought about this a lot. Dark Pit and Pit imo should play fairly differently due to their different personalities.

CHANGES TO PIT:

Infinite jab is now the Angel Ring from Brawl (HIYAYAYA)
If B is held during Power of Flight, Pit will enter a burning freefall that deals damage to both enemies and himself, making an explosion upon contact with any surface or player and subsequently entering normal freefall state.
Utilt is now a single swipe above Pit with the Palutena Bow.
Bair has Pit spin in midair, slicing twice with the bow.

CHANGES TO DARK PIT:

Neutral B is now the Dark Pit Staff: Holding down the B button will unleash a continuous stream of projectiles that does more damage from afar. This can be angled slightly by pressing up or down. Far away opponents receive knockback reminiscent of Falco's Blaster, while getting close to Dark Pit will result in no knockback. Tapping the B button will result in a semi-strong, unaimable projectile. Both variants have significant ending lag.
Side B is now the EZ Cannon: Dark Pit fires a bouncing cannonball that explodes upon impact with an opponent. Holding B will make the initial launch go farther and the cannonball do more damage; however, charging it to its maximum will have Dark Pit fire a fast cannonball straight forward that is fairly powerful.
Up B now goes farther and can be angled slightly midflight.
Down B now has Dark Pit force both Orbitars in front of him, dealing damage to anyone in range. Multiplier is increased from x1.5 to x1.7, travels straight, and has 1.5 times as much health.
Side Smash is now the Ogre Club: A move with very long startup and decent range, similarly to Lucas' usmash. Dark Pit swings the Ogre Club horizontally in front of him, then brings it behind him and smashes it down. Both hits do a lot of damage and knockback, with the second hit being a deadly meteor smash.
Down Smash now has Dark Pit stab to both sides simultaneously.
Dash Attack is now a kick, similarly to the end of Pandora's Labyrinth of Deceit.
Ftilt is now a quick stab with the Silver Bow.
Dtilt is now a leg sweep, which has a very high chance of tripping.
Nair is now a sex kick.
Fair has Dark Pit stab forward with both blades, and bringing them apart for a two hit combo.
Uair has Dark Pit do a backflip, slicing with the blades and then kicking with his feet.
Dair is now a one-legged stomp, with a decent meteor effect.
Grab is now the Violet Palm.
Pummel has Dark Pit unleash energy from the Violet Palm.
Fthrow has Dark Pit hurl the opponent forward.
Bthrow has Dark Pit throwing the opponent backwards and releasing projectiles from the Violet Palm.
Uthrow has Dark Pit hoisting the opponent above him, then slicing several times with the Silver Bow.
Dthrow has Dark Pit force the opponent to the ground and barrage him with energy from the Violet Palm.
Dark Pit's Final Smash now has him flying up and unleashing projectiles similarly to Diddy Kong's. This is a reference to the boss battle in the Dark Pit chapter of Kid Icarus: Uprising.

And so the only move the two share now is usmash.

Weapons chosen were based on the ones used in the Dark Pit chapter of Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Last edited:

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
Fair should be Pit's old fair in brawl amd the side smash I don't think should have high start up but a bit of endlag would be a decent trade off to the movesets, nature and speed as well as weight having a move like that seems to be asking not to be used
While having end lag for tapping b sounds reasonable I don't thing the endless stream one is necessary
These are my opinions but overall nice moveset

disfrozen

Smash Rookie
@ MarioMeteor MarioMeteor - I can't help but think that changing weapons too much would feel weird when playing. Maybe I forgot to put this in the main post, but remember the movesets should be cohesive, not a jumble of moves jammed together.
Interesting ideas there, with the Shock Orbitars and the modified Power of Flight, though.

@ kenniky kenniky - Same thing, remember to be cohesive. Pit's Power of Flight's Burning Dive is... kinda strange, to be honest. And his jab is pretty much the Angel Ring already. Nice idea for a Bair, though.
I still think the DP Staff's rapid fire should be that, rapid. Like Megaman's jab, or Palutena's Autoreticle. Interesting mechanic with the tap/hold, though, and I'm happy to see the "gain damage with distance" mechanic is something we all agree on.
The EZ Cannon would be like the Gunner's Grenade Launch, then? Interesting for a spacing-based moveset.
Please don't make Power of Flight longer, you're enough of a sitting duck already when using it.
Dspec should probably use other weapon, if you're gonna make it one-side-only.
When I first read Ogre Club, I'll admit I thought of something like Dedede's Jet Hammer swing, or Kirby's Giant Hammer.
Nair being a sex kick alone would change quite a bit his playing style, same with Fair being a single hit. Dair is... hmm... I don't really see Dark Pit stomping down like that, or having the legpower for an attack like that.
I quite like the Uair idea, though, it's like Fox's, right? The Fair is pretty much Brawl Pit's, I think.
And the Final Smash... personally, I see it more similar to Yoshi's than Diddy Kong's, but that's probably just me.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It wouldn't feel weird if he already has them one. He could already be holding the Staff, with the Viridi Palm and Claws on either hand. The only think that wouldn't be there is the First Blade, which he could simply take out like the Electroshock Arm.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
@ kenniky kenniky - Same thing, remember to be cohesive. Pit's Power of Flight's Burning Dive is... kinda strange, to be honest. And his jab is pretty much the Angel Ring already. Nice idea for a Bair, though.
I still think the DP Staff's rapid fire should be that, rapid. Like Megaman's jab, or Palutena's Autoreticle. Interesting mechanic with the tap/hold, though, and I'm happy to see the "gain damage with distance" mechanic is something we all agree on.
The EZ Cannon would be like the Gunner's Grenade Launch, then? Interesting for a spacing-based moveset.
Please don't make Power of Flight longer, you're enough of a sitting duck already when using it.
Dspec should probably use other weapon, if you're gonna make it one-side-only.
When I first read Ogre Club, I'll admit I thought of something like Dedede's Jet Hammer swing, or Kirby's Giant Hammer.
Nair being a sex kick alone would change quite a bit his playing style, same with Fair being a single hit. Dair is... hmm... I don't really see Dark Pit stomping down like that, or having the legpower for an attack like that.
I quite like the Uair idea, though, it's like Fox's, right? The Fair is pretty much Brawl Pit's, I think.
And the Final Smash... personally, I see it more similar to Yoshi's than Diddy Kong's, but that's probably just me.
The Power of Flight Burning Dive was meant to be a reference to the fact that Pit's wings will burn up if he's flying for too long, and Dark Pit's Flight being longer is a reference to the fact that he can fly indefinitely (although I guess that really isn't the case anymore if Smash happens after all of Uprising)
The jab would really only be changed visually, but the hitbox would be more vertical instead of horizontal like it is now.
For Dash Attack, Dtilt, Nair, Uair, and Dair are meant to reference the fact that Dark Pit has no problem with using more than just his blade in combat. Dair could probably stay the same as it is now, though.
And honestly, I didn't have many ideas for Down Special. It seemed good enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

disfrozen

Smash Rookie
It wouldn't feel weird if he already has them one. He could already be holding the Staff, with the Viridi Palm and Claws on either hand. The only think that wouldn't be there is the First Blade, which he could simply take out like the Electroshock Arm.
Wouldn't it look... dunno, clunky, if he tolds the weapons like that? I mean, I think four different weapons for his normals is kinda... awkward. I'm just pointing out it'd look strange, like he's trying to hold too many things at once.

The Power of Flight Burning Dive was meant to be a reference to the fact that Pit's wings will burn up if he's flying for too long, and Dark Pit's Flight being longer is a reference to the fact that he can fly indefinitely (although I guess that really isn't the case anymore if Smash happens after all of Uprising)
The jab would really only be changed visually, but the hitbox would be more vertical instead of horizontal like it is now.
For Dash Attack, Dtilt, Nair, Uair, and Dair are meant to reference the fact that Dark Pit has no problem with using more than just his blade in combat. Dair could probably stay the same as it is now, though.
And honestly, I didn't have many ideas for Down Special. It seemed good enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The hitbox is bigger than it looks, but yeah, you have a point. Also, instead of length, I'd add control, on the Power of Flight, because that's pretty much what he has, yeah? Control over his own flight.
The normals are pretty good, it's just the Dair I thought it was kinda unfitting. Him using more kicks in his moveset is pretty good, and does make him feel more... like his own character.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Wouldn't it look... dunno, clunky, if he tolds the weapons like that? I mean, I think four different weapons for his normals is kinda... awkward. I'm just pointing out it'd look strange, like he's trying to hold too many things at once.
The only thing he's constantly holding is the Dark Pit Staff. Everything else he's wearing, except for the First Blade, which he only takes out for a few attacks.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Bored out of my wits end, I figured this would be the place to put it. Right now, it's only Specials, but I plan on expanding it later.

Dark Pit: The Flawed Reflection

Neutral Special: Silver Bow. Basically, what he has now. Similar to Pit's Palutena Bow, Dark Pit fires an energy arrow forward. The arrow can be charged, but not held, and aimed in many directions. However, Dark Pit's arrow decays over time, setting up easier combos the farther away it is.

Side Special: Dark Pit Staff. Dark Pit pulls out his staff and fires a beam straight forward. Depending on the length you hold the button the beam will lengthen. Once you release, the beam will end. The start of the beam deals damage, and the end will deal high knockback, with the exact amount increasing depending on the charge. This move requires a lot of risk, as a missed beam could leave you open.

Up Special: Electroshock Uppercut. On ground, this functions similarly to how it did in SSB4, with Dark Pit charging forward with his Electroshock Arm. However, at the end, he'll perform a massive jumping uppercut. In air, he performs a higher version of said uppercut. Hitting an opponent with the uppercut mid-air replenishes the uppercut for a follow-up, but after that, you go into helpless. It's recovery ability is comparable to the Mirror Bash in Project M, but less powerful. Still better than Little Mac, though.

Down Special: Archangel Ring. Dark Pit reaches out and spins his bow like Pit's Angel Ring in Brawl. However, this has some key differences. Once it reflects a projectile, it will end, or once it hits an opponent five times in one spin, it will hit them back and end. It cannot be held infinitely, with the same length as the Orbitars. However, tapping in any direction during this attack will boost you with the Power of Flight. This is an unconventional recovery, but an effective one nonetheless. Coupled with the Uppercut, it should do the trick to provide the same height Dark Pit could before with the Power of Flight in SSB4.

Final Smash: Dark Rain. Dark Pit yells some clever one-liner and fires his arrows upward, releasing a flurry of arrows from above. However, this is not to kill. The many arrows less little damage, but set up kills for Dark Pit easily. The goal isn't to use the arrows to kill, but rather distract the opponent long enough to hit a powerful Smash attack on them, and send 'em launching.

SullyJay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dejay15
3DS FC
4081-6913-3923
Here is my take on this concept, I wont be doing customs and some moves I'm just not too sure what they should be changed into

Here's how I would differentiate them, I remember back when people weren't too sure about the differences, I would hear Pit kills more vertically and Dark Pit kills more horizontally a lot. I would just elaborate on that.

Pit gets a Combo similar to ZSS, Meta Knight, Kirby with customs where they will Up-Air their target several times and then finish them off with a Up-B for the Kill. Pit would be able to do that but with his Side-B, he would be able to direct the dash and Uppercut at a more vertical angle minus the super-armor.
Dark Pit on the other hand will focus on horizontal Kills. He'll be able wall of pain with either buffed air speed or a pseudo wall of pain through a side special.
I don't have too many ideas but here is what I came up with, plus my take on idea's I've seen around that i though was pretty cool.

Jab: Three strikes with the silver bow, performed exactly how the melee combo with the Bow was done is Kid Icarus: Uprising. Two slashes with each blade, then finishing with a downward cross strike with both blades. Sends targets horizontally
Ftilt: Uses the Pandora Claws for another three hit combo, When playing together mode in KI: U the third hit of the Melee combo would launch opponent's upward. that same combo would apply here. Two slashes from each claw, then an upward kick that sends opponent's upward from there you can follow up with a aerial
Utilt: (Unchanged)
Dtilt: (No ideas)
Dash Attack: I've seen other people go with this idea, so am I. The Side Kick referencing Dark Pit kicking Pit after defeating Pandora
Fsmash: Unchanged
Usmash: Unchanged
Dsmash: (No Ideas)
Nair: (No Ideas)
Fair: (No Ideas)
Bair: (No Ideas)
Uair: Has two hits, Stabs both blades upward, then brings them down to his sides.
Dair: Unchanged
Pummel: Unchanged: Quick Knee strikes
Fthrow: Launches the opponent forward with the Violet Palm
Bthrow: Similar to his current one but with the Violet Palm
Uthrow: Wraps them in glowing energy from the Violet Palm and launches the target upward.
Dthrow: Slams his opponent onto the ground, then stabs his Silver Bow through them
Ledge attack: (Unchanged)

Nspec: Dark Pit Staff: Has a short charge time. Charge shot's damage will increase with distance and can be angled upward or downward a bit, when uncharged shoots three shots, they don't have too much hit-stun but they can gimp.

Sspec: Power of Flight: Not completely sure how this would work, but I saw a similar idea around on another thread. Like an air dash can be used to edge guard, or to help with Juggling the target offstage, maybe cancels into an attack.
Uspec: Unchanged. After using all of your jumps and air dash to juggle the target offstage, you can then just recover with your Up-B

Dspec: No ideas

Final Smash: Calls forth the Lightning Chariot from Phosphora and hops in. Rushes back and forth hitting opponents onstage before jumping off and finishing with a quick widespread expanding charge-shot from the Ogre Club.

Last edited:
Top Bottom