• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Decisive Games NewD3 Mafia (GAME OVER!)

Eido

Smash Journeyman
fontisian fontisian Yeh, the point you raised about the questions is why I took timeout to reread the game. When you’re faced with lots of questions, it becomes difficult to split your time doing more useful things. If I answer them all, I need extra time to scum hunt, and sometimes that extra time just isn’t available. So managing everyone’s expectations is proving to be really hard. I hope to get better at this though. Anyway, moving on. Gonna put out some thoughts

Eido

Smash Journeyman
Been thinking about Gorf first. He’s behind the biggest push so far and is a priority for me to try and solve to narrow down my pool.

I would say his play here looks like it’s becoming similar to the Werewolves game. This is in terms of the amount he’s posting and how he’s going about chatting to people, mainly from the last 2 pages.

That Things I Like game didn’t have much content to draw from but I did pick up he was making more decisions in the game (like certain vote switches in the early game from his buddy to Wam), and overall seemed to reason with Townies more to probably look more Townie himself. Here, I think he reads notably more stubborn. So could that mean he really believes in himself, even if I know he's wrong? At the moment I'm leaning yes.

Eido

Smash Journeyman
https://smashboards.com/threads/decisive-games-newd3-mafia-day-1-starts-4-14-12-am-mdt-deadline-4-20-12-am-mdt.513025/post-24360725

I liked this on reread. He keeps himself uninfluenced by Swiss, reminding himself of my play in Werewolves. It looks like he wants to believe in it and see it through.

https://smashboards.com/threads/decisive-games-newd3-mafia-day-1-starts-4-14-12-am-mdt-deadline-4-20-12-am-mdt.513025/post-24361008

Here I feel Scum could take an opportunity to rise above their opposition, or become more sensitive to it. But Gorf is like, ‘Oh I see, but’. It reads relaxed whilst still being maintaining his position. Also, this is the clearest he's explained his read.

I'm mindful that I don't have a good profile on Gorf to confidently say he's Town, but I'm leaning here right now. Kinda wish there was another recent scum game to draw from because the last one was back in 2014.

Eido

Smash Journeyman
So I think Scum would still use Gorf's push as an opportunity. I wouldn’t necessarily expect it to be as obvious with a vote. More like eyeing up the option so it’s available to them either now or in the future. Maven & Bessie fall in to this specific category.

Eido -10
Fontisian -1
Gorf +1
LaserGuy +0
Maven89 +1
Sabrar +1
somitomi +0
Swiss +1
Wam -2
Why didn't you vote here? I look extremely bad to you. You had positive points assigned for Gorf & Swiss who were on the wagon. What stopped you?

Can you talk to me about Wam? The points system is becoming skewed against myself, and now Fonti. But your Wam read, which started as a negative, hasn't developed much. Why has there been no movement/focus here? I'm referring to your recent list:

Eido -13-1 => -14
Fontisian -3-2+1-4 => -8
Gorf +1+1+1 => +3
LaserGuy 0+1 => +1
Maven89 +1+0 => +1
Sabrar +3+1 => +4
Somitomi 0+0 => 0
Swiss +2+0 => +2
Wam -2+0 => -2

Eido

Smash Journeyman
Sabrar Sabrar I've seen your posts, I've run out of time but I will get back to you. Please re-evaluate your scum tell (the @'ing everyone thing). It's going to be wrong.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
OFFICIAL VOTE COUNT v1.4

Eido (3): Gorf, Swiss, Wam
Maven (1): Eido
Fontisian (1): Laserguy

Not Voting (5): Bessie, Sabrar, Maven, Fontisian, Somitomi

With 10 alive it takes 6 votes to eliminate!

Last edited:

Eido

Smash Journeyman
Oh hello. I'm back. On the phone tho so let's see how this goes.

Maven's content on reread feels tonally different than what I remember. I had to look him up in Apex to get a refresher.

#193 (Apex)

#299 (Apex)

Forgive me if these don't work. Anyway these are example posts from Apex. Language is more blunt, he's a bit of a joker.

Contrast this to his opener here: #68

He feels more cautious, going straight in to serious topics on page 2. He eyes up a bunch of options. The language is softer, e.g. Swiss "slight Town", Wam "not scummy, but".

It feels careful. And I get a similar vibe from his most recent post too.

Maven89 Maven89 CC'ing you so you can reply to the above. I’ll reserve more judgment until you can post more. I'm interested in why you had Swiss as a Town lean on page 2. What's your experience with him?

unvote

Eido

Smash Journeyman
Sabrar Sabrar The answer to your question is option B. I didn’t think Gorf was Scum as he pushed, but he could be. I was trying to work him out. Unfortunately doing so totally exploded in my face and page 2 was when the whole thread turned on me.

You asked me to respond to this: #51

Honestly the question makes me sad. The answer is because it was page 1, and only You, Me, Wam & Swiss had posted.

I didn’t have any opinions that mattered. I was ****-posting and asking questions to get it going, with the intention of forming opinions after. I give you an example of me waiting on other players in Apex. Was this not good enough?

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Eido I challenge you to give 5 reads, town/townlean or scum/scumlean, that aren’t Gorf based strictly on vibes from this game and with no meta at all. Maybe a sentence of explanation per player. If you’re town you’re MUCH too focused on the micro, and less so on the macro. I’ll give you a couple of examples:

swiss: townlean. seems to be playing without an ulterior motive
Somitomi: scumlean, posting is sparse and content in posts are minimal. My candidate for lurker

#HBC | Gorf

Ebwop (edit by way of post)

Eido I challenge you to give 5 reads, town/townlean or scum/scumlean that aren’t Gorf based, strictly on vibes from this game and with no meta at all.

comma placement is a game changer

Eido

Smash Journeyman
Alright, makes sense.

You - Town Lean, seems carefree.
Fonti - Town Lean, agree with lots of posts. Methods feel like building up rather than breaking down.
Sabrar - Town Lean, seems totally in his own lane.
Bessie - Scum Lean. Points feels arbitrary, faked.
Maven - Scum Lean. Feels sneaky.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
I didn’t have any opinions that mattered. I was ****-posting and asking questions to get it going, with the intention of forming opinions after.
My issue here is that you didn't reply to me in #30 as if you were ****-posting and then you didn't care to reply to Swiss's #57 (and #108 which had a reminder). You also didn't mention this at all when talking about bessie who made the same comment in #102.

On a similar note (and this is the same point I brought up in #191),

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Hit reply instead of insert quote, great job.

Sabrar Sabrar The answer to your question is option B. I didn’t think Gorf was Scum as he pushed, but he could be.
On a similar note (and this is the same point I brought up in #191), why haven't you tried to correct Gorf and bessie who thought the answer was a)?

Eido

Smash Journeyman
Probably because I've been fixated on option B myself. This was at a time when lots of people were calling me out for doing busywork, I believe.

Also I don't even know where to start responding to Bessie's onslaught, but most of her questions feel like repeats.

I can't comment to your 1st point. It's a personality thing. You'll get used to my attitude. My questions and votes seem to have a dissonance around this phase. I personally hate the start of games from what I've experienced, and Day 1s feel somewhat awkward to me.

#HBC | Gorf

Yo eido I straight up like your 252 better than any of your content thus far. I don’t hate or love your 242-243, in spite of it having some “conventional” problems, but I feel like you’re better off having a larger view of the game first, and then supplementing reads on others with meta if you feel like you have spots that are too blank. You might also benefit in keeping that to yourself unless you feel like it’s relevant to the thread

Eido

Smash Journeyman
Yeah? Alright.

How do you go about solving someone like Somitomi, who gives really little?

#HBC | Gorf

“Do I have any good reason to townread somi?”

not really

“do I have any good reason to scumread somi?”

yea I’ve got a couple. scum likes to lurk and with what they’ve posted i don’t get much either way.

ill put them in the scum section.

Its not like if I do they’re condemned forever. But now I have a starting point

fontisian

Smash Champion
We're not yeeting Eido.

Sabrar, the reason he didn't answer or correct every little thing is that there were too many things from too many people.

bessie

Smash Journeyman
Save me from long posts.
Meta post [serious]

I don’t play on my phone but looked at the game on my phone and yes, I now see how my posts can be very hard to follow. I can break them up for readability/quoting purposes, but I want to post each day as a grouping so that the flow I am trying to achieve with a single post is maintained. Would that help?

fontisian

Smash Champion
Meta post [serious]

I don’t play on my phone but looked at the game on my phone and yes, I now see how my posts can be very hard to follow. I can break them up for readability/quoting purposes, but I want to post each day as a grouping so that the flow I am trying to achieve with a single post is maintained. Would that help?
Nah, it's ok. It's only a pain when I have to respond to a bunch of small points via multiple quotes, as it's more work and the overall meaning can feel kind of diluted.

A more detailed summary of your thoughts (the ones you think are most important) at the end might help with readability and get your points across more clearly?

bessie

Smash Journeyman
Am I missing something with fonti? I know that she’s part of the xkcd folk, I’m wondering if I’m reading her as town for something that you guys (looking at Bessie, laser, maybe sabrar but I can’t exactly recall, I vaguely remember one other person sussing her) might read as AI or even scummy with her meta considered.
Quick summary because we shouldn’t all assume everyone knows everyone’s history.
xkcd – bessie, LaserGuy, Sabrar, somitomi, Wam
Dgames – FrozenFlame, Gorf, Maven, Swiss, Eido (newbie)
MTGS – fontisian

I don’t think that anyone is necessarily missing anything. It’s still relatively early in the game and we’re in our information gathering stage. +0

It was a joke about what level we're playing the game at, meant to be a little bit self-deprecating.
Yeah I can be dense when it comes to jokes; no one gets mine, and others often go over my head. Perhaps the dashes would have made it clearer. +0

We've talked about this before. I don't like fleshing out my reads in the thread early on Day 1, especially regarding stronger players. But one of my townreads was apparently scumreading me for a "lack of content" and other people were talking about it, which meant in order to meet my responsibilities I needed to share more thoughts.
We probably did discuss this before and I forgot about it; my encyclopedic memory for old mafia games seems to have been something distinctive to xkcd and has not carried over as well to this site. Restoring a point. +1

Nuance is not the same thing as waffling. And I don't have an issue with waffling specifically, from Laser or anyone else. I dislike that Laser's Eido townread as gotten stronger as mine has gotten weaker. I do not scumread Laser at this time, I'm still mulling it over.
Noted. +0

I responded to your #200 post in #201.
Ok. Eido Eido , can you react to #201 and confirm that those are your thoughts?

I understand your style, yes. I think it is flawed, not wolfy, because you miss the forest for the trees. I think you arrived in the high negatives for Eido because you were more critical and nitpicky of his posts than you were of similar issues from other people.
In my daily catchup posts, I am looking at the trees, as I have explained multiple times. On weekdays I don’t have time to appreciate the beauty of the forest. And if it looks like I am being more nitpicky with Eido, it is because I have found more to nitpick from Eido. -1

To have fun.
I think it is important that none of us lose sight that this is why we are here. +0

That would be lovely, thank you. More recent games are preferable if possible.
Original request for reference #210:
Laser townreads her for her interest in the game, and if I tilt my head and squint I can maybe see it. I'll need to look at more games to compare. His townread felt a bit like a wolf bolstering a buddy, but he could be correct on her, even if he is scum. Probably not wrong on her if he's town, but it's early, so his read may yet change.
Refer to this post (from the most recent game on this forum) where LaserGuy is referring to my opening, you can read through the thread a bit I think LaserGuy explains this later.

I could find some more examples from this forum (as town and as scum) but the games are long and the search feature not very good. Also, as stated before, I don’t seem to have the same recall I used to have.

There are some not too old games in the xkcd game archive, see this post for a link to some old games I reconstructed from google cache. I would recommend Brooklyn 99 Mafia, please refer to Zenii’s reply on the bottom of Page 5 to my OP. It is also the easiest in format to read (it’s the only game I had in screenshots). If you want an amusing read, I would recommend Newbie New Year for the interaction between BoomFrog and Hari Seldon. It’s also a good example the classic bessie/LaserGuy conflict.

Side note, you have no idea how deeply it pains me not to be able to give you some more recent examples from xkcd, but the most recent mostly archived game in the Wayback Machine is from 2017. It is a favorite of mine if you want to skim it, I am town.

Bruh, if Eido is town he obviously knows I'm not his partner. The -1 on this should be because it's just kind of weird? Like, it's a statement, but it doesn't dig into my mindset at all, and it isn't paranoid that I'm trying to pocket him, which he has been very worried about previously.
I don’t know that Eido is town, why would you expect me to have this point of view? +0

Overall good content post. +1

#237 Valid response by fonti to LaserGuy. +1

1.The idea that I would possibly treat a scummate like I've treated Wam this game is actually kind of insulting.
If there’s one thing I find more suspicious than LAMIST posts, it’s “would I do that as scum” posts. -1

fontisian fontisian Yeh, the point you raised about the questions is why I took timeout to reread the game. When you’re faced with lots of questions, it becomes difficult to split your time doing more useful things. If I answer them all, I need extra time to scum hunt, and sometimes that extra time just isn’t available. So managing everyone’s expectations is proving to be really hard. I hope to get better at this though. Anyway, moving on. Gonna put out some thoughts
It just feels more like you’re trying to manage everyone’s perceptions, not expectations. -1

I would say his play here looks like it’s becoming similar to the Werewolves game. This is in terms of the amount he’s posting and how he’s going about chatting to people, mainly from the last 2 pages.
Eido if time management is an issue, why are you bothering with old games? Quit trying to figure people out by comparing them to past performance, looking for magic meta tells. I sometimes use meta in my reads, but it’s with people I know and have been playing with for a while (and I can link to a post that is clear in my memory without hours of searching). And even then I feel meta reads are very unreliable especially with experienced players. And I never use a scum or town tell as a basis for a read because I find magic tells are more often wrong then right (reference Newbie New Year Mafia). -1

I’ve only known three players that possess the magic gift, and none of them are in this game. Though I kinda wonder about fonti.

https://smashboards.com/threads/decisive-games-newd3-mafia-day-1-starts-4-14-12-am-mdt-deadline-4-20-12-am-mdt.513025/post-24360725

I liked this on reread. He keeps himself uninfluenced by Swiss, reminding himself of my play in Werewolves. It looks like he wants to believe in it and see it through.

https://smashboards.com/threads/decisive-games-newd3-mafia-day-1-starts-4-14-12-am-mdt-deadline-4-20-12-am-mdt.513025/post-24361008

Here I feel Scum could take an opportunity to rise above their opposition, or become more sensitive to it. But Gorf is like, ‘Oh I see, but’. It reads relaxed whilst still being maintaining his position. Also, this is the clearest he's explained his read.

I'm mindful that I don't have a good profile on Gorf to confidently say he's Town, but I'm leaning here right now. Kinda wish there was another recent scum game to draw from because the last one was back in 2014.
I kinda liked this post at first, but what ruined it was Eido using the excuse that he didn’t have a recent Gorf scum game to compare and using that as a hedge for a wrong read. +1-1

So I think Scum would still use Gorf's push as an opportunity. I wouldn’t necessarily expect it to be as obvious with a vote. More like eyeing up the option so it’s available to them either now or in the future. Maven & Bessie fall in to this specific category.
Hahaha I don’t need to use any of Gorf’s observations as a basis for making a read. All my content is based on my own independent thoughts and I have been transparent about my methods. -1

Why didn't you vote here? I look extremely bad to you. You had positive points assigned for Gorf & Swiss who were on the wagon. What stopped you?
I’ve explained this. I’m in my information gathering stage. I do not have time on weekdays to make comprehensive analysis of the thread content as a whole. And I’ve also explained how my point system is skewed and why. What makes you think you look extremely bad to me and why? You’re projecting a thought you think I have, and it is telling. -1

Just because Gorf and Swiss are thinking something, why would that influence me from making a objective read? +0

I don’t vote “early and often”. This is very well documented (I won’t pull out any of a dozen references because it is a dead end for you to read a dozen old games just to confirm this), but this is easily confirmable by many other players in this game, and it is NAI. +0

LaserGuy LaserGuy Sabrar Sabrar Wam Wam somitomi somitomi fontisian fontisian Can at least two of you confirm this (two being the minimum number needed so that at least one of them is not a possible partner of scum!me)?

Can you talk to me about Wam? The points system is becoming skewed against myself, and now Fonti. But your Wam read, which started as a negative, hasn't developed much. Why has there been no movement/focus here? I'm referring to your recent list:
You’re again hmm forgetting what I have previously explained about my point system, refer to #195 and #231 . +0

In my daily readthrough, I haven’t found much in Wam’s content that I have noted. Why should I be forcing reads? -1

Maven's content on reread feels tonally different than what I remember. I had to look him up in Apex to get a refresher.
Really I think you should concentrate on content in this game. +0

Eido I challenge you to give 5 reads, town/townlean or scum/scumlean, that aren’t Gorf based strictly on vibes from this game and with no meta at all. Maybe a sentence of explanation per player. If you’re town you’re MUCH too focused on the micro, and less so on the macro. I’ll give you a couple of examples:
I agree with this. +1

#252 This is a much better post from Eido than what he has been doing. +1

Also I don't even know where to start responding to Bessie's onslaught, but most of her questions feel like repeats.
What you can do about it is you can answer them. And I haven’t asked you very many. Can you answer just the questions in #102 and I withdraw any questions in #195. And please answer the questions in this post. +0

Also, meta reads are fine, don't discourage them (Gorf).
Not from a new player, with little meta info on the other players, that has to read games he didn’t play to get meta information. -1

Meta reads aren’t fine when you’re stifled because of them
Agree completely. +1

Nah, it's ok. It's only a pain when I have to respond to a bunch of small points via multiple quotes, as it's more work and the overall meaning can feel kind of diluted.

A more detailed summary of your thoughts (the ones you think are most important) at the end might help with readability and get your points across more clearly?
As I went in to a little already in this post, the daily catchup is a bunch of small points and I haven’t really been forming overall comprehensive analysis in my mind yet. But I think that this is a good suggestion, and I’ll work on maybe doing a separate summary of points. I’ve just been a bit overwhelmed this week. I also tried to trim the quotes a bit more in this post. +0

Eido -14-4 => -18
Fontisian -8+0 => -8
Gorf +3+2 => +5
LaserGuy +1+0 => +1
Maven89 +1+0 => +1
Sabrar +4+0 => +4
Somitomi 0+0 => 0
Swiss +2+0 => +2
Wam -2+0 => -2

Sabrar

Smash Ace
I don’t vote “early and often”. This is very well documented (I won’t pull out any of a dozen references because it is a dead end for you to read a dozen old games just to confirm this), but this is easily confirmable by many other players in this game, and it is NAI. +0
I can confirm this.

bessie bessie could you give me your thoughts on LaserGuy and Wam?

bessie

Smash Journeyman
Without a reread, I like LaserGuy though I probably should be questioning why he even cared about the Hari point gambit.

Wam feels a bit like he’s cruising along, but I feel that cruising is not-scummy for Wam.

#HBC | Gorf

bessie bessie on an arbitrary scale of 1-10, how directly reflective of your reads are your math equations for other players? Like is there a strong/weak layer of personal analysis that you might have going beyond what you’re posting about, or is what you’re posting like absolutely reflective of your reads?

bessie

Smash Journeyman
#HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf It's a running total of my impressions of the content that has been posted, and reflects each post in isolation, not necessarily in relation to any other content. And it obviously doesn't account for absence of content.

The post-by-post analysis is more or less the same thing I do in every game (at least until I have a good handle on things). You can ISO my posts in the previous game Wam's Chaos (I was town) and it's exactly the same style. Or Apex Legends (I was mafia). Or Flavorless Mafia III which was my first game here (I was town). Or any of the xkcd games. The only thing that is different this time is that I am publicly assigning points, and observing the interesting reaction.

I'll use the trees when I do my analysis of the forest. To answer your question, I feel it will end up being perhaps a 6 or 7?

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Just FYI for this and pretty much all future games... I generally have a very limited block of time to play on weekends, so my content will always be fairly low on those days.

you ever just get a vibe and find the best words for it later than you first said it? Like, it was pg 1, it was the end of rvs. I think you’re being disingenuous in how you’re understanding my read on eido. I’m not gonna claim it’s ai, it can be something simple like bias because I got a scumread from it and you got a townread.
I will do a full reads list tomorrow night and will get back to you on this when I have had the time to process. It wouldn't be the first time I have got stuck on something that I thought was a strong tell and ended up being NAI fluff.

Ah, ****, there was a whole bunch of context missing from that. My bad. I was phoneposting and it's been a very ****ty day.

The full thing was that it's ok that you came to a stronger conclusion on Eido there, because imo one of your strengths is finding towniness from newbie perspective. I didn't like how your read shifted overall: i.e. weaker than mine to start, ramping up, and now much stronger than what mine is now. You read Eido more strongly town as he was doing less towny things: not really considering what I tried to point him towards, not feeling paranoid, not really assessing anyone or looking for reads.
I feel his mindset is townie. I'm not really all that concerned with the details of what he comes up with as far as it relates to my evaluation of him. How he is going about the game, why he seems to be doing the things that he is doing makes me feel he's Town. I'll go into this in more detail in my evaluation tomorrow.

My problem is how and when you made those reads not matching up with how I saw things, as when we've been more in sync when you're town and less in sync when one of us is scum.
I don't really understand how you could possibly believe this. The only completed game we have together where we were both Town was Apex mafia. I'm not sure we agreed on a single read that game. Oh, and you yeeted me on D1.

Show your work.
I intend to. I will discuss your other comments then too. I just don't have the time or energy right now.

LaserGuy LaserGuy Sabrar Sabrar Wam Wam somitomi somitomi fontisian fontisian Can at least two of you confirm this (two being the minimum number needed so that at least one of them is not a possible partner of scum!me)?
Definitely not often. Early... I'll go with rarely.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
catching up from somewhere mid-Friday
“I’m assuming scum are going to be tempted to join it” reads to me like he is assuming the wagon are townies, and scum are going to be tempted to join the wagon, join implying he thinks scum were not already on the wagon.
I feel like this is needlessly pedantic and I don't know
Also the team is Somi/Bessie and Somi made a shroop, you heard it here first, folks.

If you agree with bessie's points, why are you surprised that this read is weak?
I was actually surprised by how strong it appears to be. I know bessie's the kind to tunnel, but in my recollection she's usually ... friendlier towards new players, at least on D1 so Eido being her only strong read either way is odd.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
EBWOP again
I feel like this is needlessly pedantic and I don't know
I feel like this is needlessly pedantic and I don't know why you think your interpretation of the wording is exactly what Eido meant.

Top Bottom