• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Decent Controllers

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering, what brand or type of controllers do you guys use? Back when I used to play SSBM a lot, I went through about one controller a month. Now I've recently got back into Smash, and my friends and I play every couple of days. The problem is, after a few weeks, Some of our C-sticks stopped working, or the left control sticks started going whacky.

I'm just wondering if this is because GCN controllers aren't meant to handle Smash the way Smash players play them. I mean, go to a mall or casual arcade and you'll see broken controls on fighting games all of the time. Of course, if you go to a place that specializes in fighting games, everything's maintained in top condition. So are there professional-level GCN controllers equivalent to the quality of some arcade sticks (DC green stick, SF Anniversary Edition sticks, X-Arcade)? My DC green stick is over a decade old and still works perfectly. I'm just wondering if there's brand or something, because I know some people use the same controller for years, considering you guys actually use your controllers enough to aesthetically mod them...

Controllers that I can waveshine on are the black ones and the purple ones. The grey ones that I use are still in good condition, but the buttons feel weird when I try to waveshine. I don't know if it's just me, but the control stick and shield buttons don't seem to be as sensitive unless I apply more pressure.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You'll find most use the Official controllers.

wordman

Smash Apprentice
Well, I have a different question on that matter. What is the best way to break in my controller? The GC controller just feels so unresponsive, and does not do what I tell it to do sometimes.

One Mor Thing!!! (Like Jackie's Uncle)

I want to custom color my platinum gc stick. Can any one suggest skins or the type of paint I need? I want to personalize it to my liking.

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I need to break in the grey/silver controllers. I hate that unresponsive "new" feeling. Dunno, but generally you'd break them in just by using them normally.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well, I have a different question on that matter. What is the best way to break in my controller? The GC controller just feels so unresponsive, and does not do what I tell it to do sometimes.

One Mor Thing!!! (Like Jackie's Uncle)

I want to custom color my platinum gc stick. Can any one suggest skins or the type of paint I need? I want to personalize it to my liking.
There's a big thread around somewhere about doing stuff like that, try searching for customising or paining

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I just use the regular controllers. And, 3rd party controllers suck. They always either break 2 days after you buy them, stick a lot, are too responsive, or not responsive enough...

goateeguy

Smash Ace
i use wavebirds mostly, it's still the same feel as the official ones, but 1. it's silver, so it doesn't attract as much sunlight, so ur hands don't get as sweaty, 2. it's wireless so tangled cords aren't an issue and u can sit wherever u want, and 3. i have never had to buy a new one and ive had my first one for at least since last summer.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
I use a third party controller after my first party controllers broke before my eyes. The GameStop variants are good IMO..

The only drawback (IMO) is that almost all of them have a Turbo feature. Why is it a drawback? Because you can accidentally press it during tournament play, and inevitably get kicked out.

I wanna know how to take it out -__- But seriously, with practice it becomes less of a problem, if not no problem.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
it's those madcatz controllers that really stink. My friend had one once and two things happened within 3 weeks. the stuff on the control stick ripped off and there was some weird bump on it that hurt ur thumb, and sometimes randomly throughout gameplay it will just die and u have to reset. stay away from anything madcatz for ur own good.

vericz

Smash Champion
I never use 3rd party controllers, they are junk. I think that the original GC controller was made well enough to handle the way people play smash, it's like the controller was made for smash. The only times I had to change my controller was when one got lost and the other 2 my friend's cat destroyed.

choban08

Smash Cadet
hey to the guy who was thinking on painting it all you have to do is hit it with a layer of clearcaot then id go to your local hardwear stor and pick up a quart or 2 of ur colors to paint it. If you want to make it real sweet mask off some areas to add stripes

Roman.

Smash Champion
The GC controllers are def. the best. I've had mine for a year and no problems with it. I had a 3rd party controller and the L button started to stick so you kept on shielding and the Z button eventually stopped working.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
well it all depends on what character you use, and what color you like. if you use black marth, for example, youre going to need a black controller to channel the power from your hands to the game correctly. likewise, a white marth will require a platinum controller. if you mess up this balance, youll be sure to have a bad game.

Binx

Smash Master
Hahahaha! ^^^ anyways I just buy a used official GC controller from gamestop or gamecrazy, those are usually partially broken in (note: I do make sure and feel them and make sure the L button is good the jump A, B and Z buttons dont stick and make sure that the Stick is good.)

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
I've stayed away from Madcatz controllers, and my friend's Wavebird feels weird in my hands. I think some tourneys ban wireless controllers because of complications or whatever. Thanks for the input guys; I just hate buying new controllers because I have to spend time breaking them in. My control stick inevitably becomes too loose and I have to buy another controller.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
man, i just wanna know how hardcore are you playing that you break a controller?

FOB

Smash Ace
well it all depends on what character you use, and what color you like. if you use black marth, for example, youre going to need a black controller to channel the power from your hands to the game correctly. likewise, a white marth will require a platinum controller. if you mess up this balance, youll be sure to have a bad game.
I completely agree. Thats why I have a green controller plug for my green Doctor Mario.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
Breaking in a controller takes time. Some chars might not even function well if you dont break it in. Like fox, which is why m2k is playing marth right now, his MLG controller broke

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Breaking in a controller takes time. Some chars might not even function well if you dont break it in. Like fox, which is why m2k is playing marth right now, his MLG controller broke
wow! my mind is blown at how it can make that much of a difference! i don't get it though. if he's not used to the controller, wouldn't his marth be suffering just as badly?

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Alright since this is a controller thread Im gonna share my secret.Use a bit of baby powder on your hands and youll love any controller youll use.It keeps them nice and dry. ;)

On second thought just use the GC controllers with some baby powder.

Elen

Smash Lord
Marth doesn't require the same ammount of finger movement as fox. Also, I'm sure mew2king has other reasons besides his controller for recently picking up marth. Anyways, first party controllers really don't break that easily, and taking them apart and cleaning them really goes a long way as well. Really guys, none of you should be using 3rd party controllers..or even wavebirds for that matter. First party wired controllers have the best response time, the best feel, and the best durability. There's not really a secret, just get a normal GC controller and don't abuse it.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok so i play red bowser.. does that mean i must pick up an orange controller? Or find a red one?

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Dont use anything but the Gamecube Controller they hold all of there patents for the analog stick ect.So third party controllers are just cheap knockoffs.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Marth doesn't require the same ammount of finger movement as fox. Also, I'm sure mew2king has other reasons besides his controller for recently picking up marth. Anyways, first party controllers really don't break that easily, and taking them apart and cleaning them really goes a long way as well. Really guys, none of you should be using 3rd party controllers..or even wavebirds for that matter. First party wired controllers have the best response time, the best feel, and the best durability. There's not really a secret, just get a normal GC controller and don't abuse it.
wavebirds are just as good as the normal GC controllers. they may not be asdurable when it comes to control stick breaking, but for some reason, both of mine started moving constantly in one direction despite my attempts to fix them. this was probably due to tangled cords that were beyond repair (just a guess, don't really know), so the issue is debatable, but aren't wavebirds first-party?

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Ok so i play red bowser.. does that mean i must pick up an orange controller? Or find a red one?
Hehe, I have an orange controller now. Yeah, so I got two more first-party controllers. I don't know if I'm smashing the sticks too hard or something, but they eventually do weird crap, like the analog stick constantly tilting down, or side smashes on the C-stick stop working.

Thatnks for all of the input, so now I just need to break this sucker in.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
i use wavebirds mostly, it's still the same feel as the official ones, but 1. it's silver, so it doesn't attract as much sunlight, so ur hands don't get as sweaty, 2. it's wireless so tangled cords aren't an issue and u can sit wherever u want, and 3. i have never had to buy a new one and ive had my first one for at least since last summer.
It doesnt attract as much sunlight? Because we all play games outside rather than indoors now.... Im going to just believe this post was sarcastic....

Kaede - KeyWei

Smash Cadet
I have just the orginal GC controller. It is Half Purple on Top and Clear on the Bottom, looking at it Sideways. I find it fine with Falco...But this is just me.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
man, i just wanna know how hardcore are you playing that you break a controller?
Hardcore enough that you're pressing L/R every 4 frames. and are continously moving the control stick. And SDI'ing every attack that edgegaurds you. And trying to escape wobbling.

Pesonally, i can't play fox w/ a broken in controller and new ones work better (after about 1 hr of breaking in anyway).

I know plenty of falcos who like broken in controllers. This guy in my crew uses my old controller for falco (the one that's too broken in to play fox w/).

Repryx

Smash Champion
Yah I uise my Broken in 3 yr old GC controller (but exclusively for smash since I started playing.) The sensitivity is set and everything and I play hard but try not to spaz out

Jolts_D

Smash Apprentice
I still use my very first GCN controller that I got with the system :cool: (it's a bit dirty, but still works).
I've tried using some non-Nintendo controllers, and they all end up getting screwed up. They get de-calibrated, and re-calibrating them (hold X/Y/START for 2-3 seconds, then let go) rarely even worked. I'd try to go left, and it would go right a little first (so if I was facing left, the character would turn around twice and start walking...taking up too much time).

Top Bottom