• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 20, 2014] NWM presents The Pacific Northwest Regional - Apex World... (Des Moines, WA)

T0MMY

Smash Master
It's pretty easy to just have the competitors give a glance to the character pictures and make sure an icon isn't there, isn't it?
It's easier to just have the rules set to "Customization:Off" or "Customization:On" and just leave it at that.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
It's easier to just have the rules set to "Customization:Off" or "Customization:On" and just leave it at that.
The problem is "easier" doesn't mean "better."
Equipment is pretty much not going to ever work competitively. So allowing equipment in some kind of "all customizations" format is just NOT going to happen. However, custom moves are a VERY worthwhile tournament addition and are worth the extra effort of examining character setups to allow. They add variety, strategy, and frankly a lot more fun for participants and spectators alike.

T0MMY

Smash Master
The problem is "easier" doesn't mean "better."
There is this.
It's pretty easy to just have the competitors give a glance to the character pictures and make sure an icon isn't there, isn't it?
And there is that.
Nowhere did I say easier is better, but if you propose that it's easy to do one thing and I show it is easier to another, than I will stick with my easier method (no claims of either being "better").

Equipment is pretty much not going to ever work competitively. So allowing equipment in some kind of "all customizations" format is just NOT going to happen.
Already has been: the first Nintendo-sponsored competition used it nationally.

Although Equipment and Custom Moves may not be popularly used, we may very well see some kind of side events or minor tournaments that set "Customization: On".
But for the most part I believe the standard is simply going to have "Customization: Off".

However, custom moves are a VERY worthwhile tournament addition and are worth the extra effort of examining character setups to allow. They add variety, strategy, and frankly a lot more fun for participants and spectators alike.
I'll leave you to your opinion on this, as there's no reason for me to try to change that.
But I'll just stick to the facts for the time being: That Equipment and Custom Moves are systematically tied through Customization.

I just find it easier and better to not separate the two. I like to have a Customization:ON event for fun, and a Customization:Off event for glory.

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
Ooh I live in Renton, Ill see if i can get those days off. Sounds like lots of fun.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Already has been: the first Nintendo-sponsored competition used it nationally.
That was the same tournament with no stage bans and Smash Balls.
and sandslash, you live in renton? I lived there about 5 years ago, and am about 10 minutes from there anyways :)

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
That was the same tournament with no stage bans and Smash Balls.
It was best of one, there would be no stage bans. Didn't see any rulings regarding Smash Balls specifically, but are you saying using equipment is equivalent to using Items? Not sure what the point is trying to be made here.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
It was best of one, there would be no stage bans. Didn't see any rulings regarding Smash Balls specifically, but are you saying using equipment is equivalent to using Items? Not sure what the point is trying to be made here.
crap, I said that wrong, I meant Stage list.

And equipment shouldn't be used, or at least that is what I think

T0MMY

Smash Master
Not sure what about the Stage list, but I agree with your opinion that Equipment shouldn't be used (in some circumstances), but an event on the other end of the competitive spectrum would be welcoming of it (along with Items, full Stage list, and Custom Moves, et cetera).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
That was the same tournament with no stage and Smash Balls.
The list of stages used were in the rules. The rules were more 'casual' early in the bracket and became more 'competitive' for the National Tournament in Semi/Grand Finals:

National Tournament Rules
Stages:
The Final (best 2 out of 3) matches of the Tournament will be Random Omega Form (All Final Destination).
Items:
Round of 4 and Finals Round will have all items OFF

You can find all the rules (and legalese) on the tournament page:
http://smashbros.nintendo.com/rules/.

But this was originally a discussion on Customization. My opinion is that the "Customization Setting" should be set to "OFF" for competitive tournament play.

Last edited:

enddragon7

Smash Rookie
I spent a lot of time playing Brawl online but I never once went to a tournament in person. I'm going to change that with Smash 4, and considering I live half an hour from Des Moines I might as well try to go this tournament. Also I was wondering if the rules have for Smash 4 has been posted for this tournament or will they be the same rules used in the previously mentioned national tournament?

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Things I want to do at the Pacific NW Regionals (melee):

-Money Match t!MmY in Kirby dittos
-Get a very good placing
-boost my rankings on the WA power rankings all the way to The best falco, 2nd best fox, and the preeminent Pikachu player.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
My goal is to make it to at least losers semis in P:M with squirtman.

This tourney is now featuring M2K, SFAT, Shromed, HomeMadeWaffles and Tafokintz. Everyone needs to register within the next 2 days so we can lock down a larger venue!!

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Do they need more setups? I'd gladly bring my Wii U with Sm4sh and my 50" 1080p flatscreen if it waived any fees.

That might be the difference between me going or not. I'm broke BECAUSE of my purchase of those things.

T0MMY

Smash Master
This tourney is now featuring M2K, SFAT, Shromed, HomeMadeWaffles and Tafokintz. Everyone needs to register within the next 2 days so we can lock down a larger venue!!
I registered, but not sure if the payment went through (it didn't give me an option to register t1mmy). Any way I can check? I'd rather not have to pay the higher amount at the door for the two of us.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Any ruleset for Smash 4 yet?

I'm wondering what stages I should be practicing on.

Is it at least safe-to-assume that Battlefield, FD/Ω, Smashville, and Town/City are starters?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Just felt like it had to be said, haha. Not sure what the rules will be (but tournaments I've played in have pretty much been For Glory rules).

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Just felt like it had to be said, haha. Not sure what the rules will be (but tournaments I've played in have pretty much been For Glory rules).
So 2 stock, 5 minutes?

As someone practicing on 3 stock/8 minutes, if true this is slightly-annoying. I'm gonna have to play a bit more-cautiously.

I'm still really curious what the stage-selection will be. Hopefully it's a bit more liberal. Stages like Port Down and MK8 Mario-Circuit are quite fun, if a bit dangerous.

Frankly, I'd be down for anything non-scrolling that didn't have an invasive stage-hazard, ala-Yellow Devil (#$@% him!) or the thrusters and explosions on Orbital Gate (#$@% them!).

(I say this not knowing if we're going for true "For Glory", Omegas-only! GOD, I hope not!)

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
So 2 stock, 5 minutes?

As someone practicing on 3 stock/8 minutes, if true this is slightly-annoying. I'm gonna have to play a bit more-cautiously.
It's kind of a mixed bag where I've played in tourneys doing both 3-stock/8-min and 2-stock/5-min. Really just have to wait to see what they decide and try not to get used to just one of those two options.

I'm still really curious what the stage-selection will be. Hopefully it's a bit more liberal. Stages like Port Down and MK8 Mario-Circuit are quite fun, if a bit dangerous.
Stages with hazards are seen as far less competitive than more standard stages without any form of hazard, dynamic changes, or other ant-competitive elements (like poor 1 v 1 design: too big, campy, walk-offs, etc.)
Chances of those Stages being allowed should be low (especially if they are using a "counterpick" system where their opponent really can't avoid being forced to play on a janky stage).

I've been working on rulesets for use in competitive play and part of the Smash 4 ruleset discussion and came up with a way to include more "liberal" Stages (as you refer to them as) but without forcing opponents to have to play on a Stage that could cause an "illegitimate" competitive loss.
Let me know what you think:

Competitive Standard Ruleset

Last edited:

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Woohoo! Finally got my entry-fee in!

I'll see you guys there!

(Goal: Take a game off of M2K. I know a match isn't happening, but I can try!)

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
I've been having a difficult time getting registered and I never got a reply back to my email.
@silentwolf didn't respond to my post here either.
Going to be a bit upset if I have to pay the door charge price after trying so long to preregister.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Looking for some housing in the area from local Smashers, anyone want some Smash 4 practice with me & t1mmy before tourney?

Also: Got registration to go through, not sure what the problem was but don't think it was on NW Regional's end, Chris was helpful.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
So is there an sort of preliminary-schedule made yet?

As a Wii U-player, I'm wondering what time I should arrive and what time I should expect to be done.

I don't drive, so my ride needs to know what kind of schedule to expect.

(Also, still nothing on those Smash 4 rules?)

Last edited:

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Fantastic. I FINALLY find out that I can get to the tournament and pre-registration is closed. There's no justice sometimes... >.<

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
So is there an sort of preliminary-schedule made yet?

As a Wii U-player, I'm wondering what time I should arrive and what time I should expect to be done.

I don't drive, so my ride needs to know what kind of schedule to expect.

(Also, still nothing on those Smash 4 rules?)
Wondering about the times to arrive and the stagelist for PM 3.5 myself. Both games are sorta in the same boat left in the dark .___.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Wondering about the times to arrive and the stagelist for PM 3.5 myself. Both games are sorta in the same boat left in the dark .___.
I found a preliminary-schedule on the Facebook-site:

---

APPROX SCHEDULE
Saturday
10am: Set up
12pm: Melee 2v2
12pm: Smash4 WiiU 1v1

12pm: USF4
12pm: Injustice
12pm: Tekken
12pm: P4AU
1pm: UNIEL
2pm: BBCP
3pm: Melee 1v1 Pools
4pm: UMvC3
4pm: Xrd

Sunday
12pm: USF4 Top 8
12pm: Melee 1v1 Top 32 (to Top 8)
12pm: Project M 1v1
3pm: Melee Top 8

Stream schedule still a work in progress

---

Now we only need rulesets for Smash 4 and Project M.

Also, are people allowed to play friendlies for games they aren't registered in? I dabble in Melee, but I'm not anywhere close to being competitive enough to enter the tournament for it.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Also, are people allowed to play friendlies for games they aren't registered in? I dabble in Melee, but I'm not anywhere close to being competitive enough to enter the tournament for it.
Friendlies in any game only require that you pay the entry fee, so you should be set.

Last edited:
Top Bottom