• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 20, 2014] FORTE 2 - APEX World Circuit - Powered by Twitch (Austin, TX)

PonderousSealion

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm super excited for this tourney (my first). I know there are currently 30-something people signed up (I think), but any idea on how many people generally end up showing?

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Anyone attending that is currently on MIOM's fraudulent top 100 players list will also be a target for the not-so-fraudulent-hero-of-SA hitlist, as well as top Texas competitors.
which basically means: ARC, Tirno, JF, MT, Mojo, Jake, BFJ, Mouf, Pawl, Albert, Mew, Xica, RedShadow, and ALL OOS players had better watch out for PK~T

Hey I'm super excited for this tourney (my first). I know there are currently 30-something people signed up (I think), but any idea on how many people generally end up showing?
last year, 87 people signed up, competed and lost to PK-Thunder at this amazing event. This year, MIOM has estimated that this event will break 100 and went on to say that there may be 140 registrants. We might event break that cap.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
So, I've never attended a serious tournament before and seeing as how I live really close to UT, I was interested in giving this a shot. Though being a somewhat average and inexperienced competitive Melee/PM player, I don't feel as if I'd fare very well in the actual bracket.. so can anyone tell me if this event is suitable for attending solely for the friendlies and general experience of a tournament? I want to get a feel for what the atmosphere is like and perhaps meet some skilled players to improve myself.

Another factor I'm fairly shaky on is my age; I'm 16. Are the younger players looked down upon at all? Again, I have never attended a tournament so I'm not entirely sure what the age group or social aspect is like.

MT_

Smash Ace
Age is typically a non-factor. You are more than welcome to come and just play friendlies but keep in mind that when the tournament is in action, most if not all TVs and setups will be used for tournament matches and friendlies won't be available. This is a fairly big tournament compared to "locals" so the atmosphere might be a little more serious than your typical tournament, but you shouldn't let that deter you from coming!

RedGamer

Smash Ace
ONLY 4 MORE DAYS TO REGISTER, PEOPLE!

The more people register, the more money Mojo, Arc, Tirno and I can take to the bank!
seriously though, register.

Last edited:

brentosfreshness

Smash Cadet
NNID
brentvickers
This is the first (biggish) melee tourney i'll be attending since 2009. I don't expect to place highly but i'm still stoked on it!

brentosfreshness

Smash Cadet
NNID
brentvickers
Is there any way to register for this with cash? I am in the process of changing banks and can't register online, but I won't be in Austin til the 19th...

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Removing springs is a form of controller mod- it makes things like powershielding easier. This question was asked last year and I believe we took the same stance.
You can map shield to X or Y and get the same 'easy' powershield. It just makes the buttons themselves more consistent and opens up more control schemes for players to work with as opposed to giving strict advantages. It's probably too late for any ruleset changes, but in the future it may be worth reconsidering this restriction, at least for PM. Even in Melee, removing springs would remove the ability to light shield (unless I'm mistaken), still not giving solid advantages.

Syyk0

Smash Rookie
So, I've never attended a serious tournament before and seeing as how I live really close to UT, I was interested in giving this a shot. Though being a somewhat average and inexperienced competitive Melee/PM player, I don't feel as if I'd fare very well in the actual bracket.. so can anyone tell me if this event is suitable for attending solely for the friendlies and general experience of a tournament? I want to get a feel for what the atmosphere is like and perhaps meet some skilled players to improve myself.

Another factor I'm fairly shaky on is my age; I'm 16. Are the younger players looked down upon at all? Again, I have never attended a tournament so I'm not entirely sure what the age group or social aspect is like.
My Brother (Who is 15) and I (I'm 17) are going up there, so you wont be the only young person there.

Syyk0

Smash Rookie
I am literally bringing a crew of 5 people to Forte Dallas. Ain't us holding it up.
If there is an SA vs Dallas Crew Battle, I will be all eyes, cheering on my SA boys (I myself am not too good though so I will just watch)

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
My Brother (Who is 15) and I (I'm 17) are going up there, so you wont be the only young person there.
That's certainly reassuring! I hope to get some good friendlies in, this will be quite the learning experience for me.

I also want to get 4 stocked by Hungrybox. That would complete my life.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
15, 16, and 17 are not exactly young for Smash tournies. True, the dominant age group is surely late teens to early/mid-twenties, but there are plenty of people both younger and older than that around.

Yeah Man

Smash Rookie
I feel really lucky to get to play Axe in my pool. It's going to be so much fun to play all of you this weekend, maybe do some commentary as well!

Syyk0

Smash Rookie
That's certainly reassuring! I hope to get some good friendlies in, this will be quite the learning experience for me.

I also want to get 4 stocked by Hungrybox. That would complete my life.
What's your smash tag? Did you enter Melee pools?

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
What's your smash tag? Did you enter Melee pools?
I didn't. I actually can't make it until tomorrow, where I'll just be sort've hanging out, playing friendlies, and observing. I'm meeting with a few buds of mine with the same intent aswell.. Will you be there tomorrow?

Top Bottom