• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Rosalina & Luma

Bottlecap

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5043-1422-4380
Not sure if an entire thread should be dedicated to this, but the salt i'm experiencing right now is enough for me to take the risk.

I just went about an hour against the same Rosa and Luma in For Glory and they by far have been the best player I've encountered. I'm not the greatest player nor am I an outstanding Zelda, but I'm just frustrated and looking for some tips/answers.

I struggled so much in the neutral game, I could not get in for my life and all of my grabs were somewhat useless due to Luma either interrupting my down throw or hitting me right after the forward/up/back throw animation ends to negate all follow ups.

All of my punishes that I was able to get off were mostly off of her missing smash attacks, but I was only able to punish dash attack about 20% of the time. I'm very accustomed to down smashing someone whenever they whiff a move up close, because I feel that it's one of Zelda's faster attacks, however every single time I tried to punish her dash attack, it whiffed.. I assume this is because of Rosa's weird worm animation that I guess lifts her off the ground at the end it... I eventually adapted and began to punish with other moves, but the only move I was able to punish with a majority of the time was Nayru's Love and that just reset it back into netural.....

A large portion of my deaths were indeed to me getting frustrated and FWing right on top of her or using Din's Fire when I obviously shouldn't have, but I definitely struggled even touching her in the air, off stage, and on the ground.

Any tips in general would be greatly appreciated.
I am so salty right now

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
No worries bottle cap!

Answering on mah phone so forgive me

This is a tough matchup I think but there are all kinds of horrible things you can do to her. Like pay attention to when she charges the luma and teleport into her. She might adapt and send Luma out a little so you react to that animation with teleport (and punish your cool down), but then that's up to you to sense that.

Use your fastest throw which is anything but dthrow. Dthrow can be bad cos they just jump out of any follow ups passed like early percents and onward.

Dins bypasses Luma so harass her with it from long range. Also i would treat Luma as a stage restrictor... dont be near it when attacking her. Try to always have rosalina herself sandwiched between you and the luma and she'll be encouraged to reposition herself which is good for you.

Lots of jab and.... ftilt! And dtilt. Also if someone dash attacks you btw (cos loads of people seem to do this on for glory which I don't get...), punish them all with FW out of shield if you can't react in time (especially if they land behind you)

If you're accustomed to dsmash, avoid the back hit. If they're behind you just turn around and dsmash instead. It's like infinitely faster

Someone else take over who has more experience!! That's all I got for now!

Bottlecap

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5043-1422-4380
No worries bottle cap!

Answering on mah phone so forgive me
Ah, sorry for the late reply, haven't been on since Thursday.

Thanks for the advice, Kataefi. I did realize towards the end of our matches that nicely timed jabs and ftilts were working, I just was too flustered to actually think about my options.

Also towards the end I began punishing and killing with FW at really low percents, so I should definitely keep that in mind.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Awful match-up heavily in favor of Rosa. Most of Rosa's MUs are heavily in her favor, so it's nothing to feel too down about.

Relying on Tilts and pokes at Rosa's approaches is key. Rely on Nayru's Love in moments where she's too aggressive. As usual, separating Rosa from Luma is must to keep a sane mind.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I definitely agree with the others in that this MU is not in Zelda's favor. I haven't faced as many Rosas in FG as other characters but what usually works for me in this MU is keeping my distance from her. I like to play Zelda very campy and it works well against Rosa especially because no matter how often Rosa shields Din's, Luma won't which leaves Rosa at a disadvantage when you ultimately kill Luma.

When she gets up close is when I have my hardest time against her especially if Luma is still alive since Luma tends to extend the range of all of Rosa's attacks if it's right next to her. That means Zelda's good footsie game isn't a factor. I like to use Nayru's a lot in this MU (but not overuse since this leads to you being too predictable and easy to punish). The invulnerability frames during Nayru's are very helpful for all MU's and it reflects Luma AND does damage on top of that. I find that shield grabbing her out of her dash attack is helpful even if Luma is with her because a quick d-throw will sometimes even hit Luma rendering it useless and I can usually follow up with an u-air. It doesn't work all the time though so using f-throw to get her away quickly and put you back at a camping range is your next best option.

I've found that killing Rosa is really difficult for me since a lot of Zelda's killing moves are easy to predict and punish (FW, fully charged phantom, F-smash). I like to go offstage for kills on Rosa since her recovery is so predictable and has no hitbox which gives Zelda the upper-hand off stage against her. If you don't feel comfortable going offstage for kills though, remember how tall Rosa is and try landing a lightning kick. While the L-kicks are super easy to punish in this game, they're her only other option really.

I hope this helped. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
phantoms kind useless against Rosie. The moment you let phantom go she can suck it up and Luma destroys phantom easily. So outside of quick toss phantom its kind of a wimpy stall

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
I don't usually have a problem fighting Rosalina. If you're able to control Farore's Wind correctly, you can kill Luma easily (if she's near the edge of the stage. If not I go after Luma while its vulnerable in the air). Then with Luma gone, I just kick the living ****e out of her. Luma respawns, and repeat. :awesome:
I'm no pro, but thats my tactic and works most of the time.

I also think its easier to fight Rosalina if you constantly use her as well, so you know her weaknesses and vulnerablities with each character.

TriforceOfWisdom

Smash Master
NNID
HeroOfHyrule1
3DS FC
2922-0198-5811
I agree that this MU is tough at times (depending on the player), but I don't usually have a problem with them. Like some have already pointed out, kill Luma first. It leaves Rosalina open at times without her little buddy there with her to kick you from behind or something when you're least expecting it. Nayru's Luma back at Rosa whenever she sends it out at you.

Top Bottom