• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD vs Ike suggestions

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
so this past weekend at chus biweekly, i managed to **** everyone by a good margin using DDD/marth (mostly DDD, he's my favorite character), but when I had to fight Azen he 3-0 molested me in our set (ddd and marth and i forget last match all FD), so someone give me ideas for this matchup. Keep in mind Azen is like 100 X better than normal Ikes and don't base anything off random friendlies matches you see him play on wifi it's nothing like that in person, but any suggestions couldn't hurt.

edit - i can also help people with random stuff in this thread if they ask things

edit 2 - none of the matches from chus biweeklies were recorded sorry

Vayseth

Smash Master
From what I can tell, this match up is pretty even, since they both have slower more powerful moves. However, there are quite a few counter pick stages for Ike that you should probably take advantage of (delfino plaza for one) and Ike would probably have a lot of trouble at other moving stages that DDD would have no issues with. I would first use Ike's recovery against him to help even the odds.

Both Ike and DDD are heavy and both have a lot of relatively slow moves. I would however first take advantage of the fact that Ike has no projectiles, and DDD does. Also, I'm sure DDD's chain grab works on Ike as well and, not to mention, D3 is a great edge guarder and Ike can't recover for crap, so chained down grabs into a forward grab at the edge of a level can some times mean Ike's death, simply because he can't do much about it.

Ike has approximately 2 fast moves (bair, neutral A) while D3 has quite a bit more, which have great power (up tilt is the best one). Also D3's forward tilt is a good keep away move.

Obviously I can't imagine how Azen plays or how you play even, but there's definitely some things you should take advantage of when playing an Ike player that will force them to not play as Ike. For the most part though, from a character standpoint, neither character has the obvious advantage.

DarkHero9360

Smash Cadet
ddd has a Huuuuge advantage over ike to the point that it's not even funny! ikes' ko moves have mad lag on them so he has to use mindgames to hit with the lot of them, his main damage bulider is his A combo so ddds' forward tilt is key to spacing him. ddd can chain grab him off the stage after any mistake and add 20+ damage on him at the same time plus run off the stage to fair him to a good point so he can't recover. ike's fastest and safest way to move about the stage is to wiff a forward B, because if wiffed he has no lag and can do anything after it. his recovery is simple,if coming from below just stay by the edge and counter as see fit,if coming from the side run out in front of him and do and fair or somthing to your liking (ikes' forward air stops when it his something so if u do get hit he can't recover and you'll be back on the stage).

ddd can go in to this match no worrys! i play ikes all the time and have yet to see any thing in ikes move set to be worried about. i'll put some matches of me fighting ike on youtube when i get a chance.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
*Warning: Conjecture! I'm just throwing out ideas.*
You can waddle dee camp him to a degree. When he gets in close, powershield a slow move then chaingrab. Your Ftilt also outranges his quicker moves. What does Azen generally approach with? You can stop his quick draw approach with waddle dees (I think). You could also dash toward him while he's charging a quick draw and powershield when he releases or short hop a waddle dee to mix it up. Ike's other approaches are generally worse, and can be stopped with waddle dees.

As for approaching, soften him up with waddle dees on the way in. I dunno what moves you can use to attack close range.

Met

Smash Ace
Yo I played azen in two matches vs his ike my dedede. We played two stock online matches. First one i got man handled two stocked and then the second one i two stocked him. Now I don't remember quiet how the matches were since it was a week ago. But hopefully i can put both of them up soon and maybe that would help.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
i haven't played Azen, but i've played Mike G's Ike, which is pretty good too. the way i beat him with Dedede is playing defensively. waddle dee camp, and cg some, though Ike can get out of it. ftilt a lot to clash his moves/poke him. i usually force the jump with ftilt into utilt, the main kill move i use against Ike. also, properly spaced bairs can eat his aerials. hope that helps you some.

I've never even played this game before, but... DDD's projectiles are his friends. Ike can destoy close range, so make sure you stay back. Also you can create opening by dashing and spot dodging. If all else fails, do completely random things, switch from defense to offense.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
My general strategy against Ikes, Marths and Snakes has been use a lot of waddle dees to pressure, ftilt and utilt when they get close and be very aggressive with back air edgeguarding.

Vicious699

Smash Apprentice
ive played Justin (Met)'s ddd as ike, and ive found that on flat stages like FD he chaingrabs the **** outta me, but on crooked stages like Yoshis island and Lylat i can get out of it. so as a ddd player u should counter pick a flat stage.

Vicious699

Smash Apprentice
i'd have stayed but i had to get up at 8 this morning. Let me know when u have people over again.

Waddle

Smash Ace
Argh, M2K. You cant ask randoms for help man. Youre the king of smash lol. We're simple commoners, we cant help you O.o.

xDARKLINKx

Smash Ace
ddd has a Huuuuge advantage over ike to the point that it's not even funny! ikes' ko moves have mad lag on them so he has to use mindgames to hit with the lot of them, his main damage bulider is his A combo so ddds' forward tilt is key to spacing him. ddd can chain grab him off the stage after any mistake and add 20+ damage on him at the same time plus run off the stage to fair him to a good point so he can't recover. ike's fastest and safest way to move about the stage is to wiff a forward B, because if wiffed he has no lag and can do anything after it. his recovery is simple,if coming from below just stay by the edge and counter as see fit,if coming from the side run out in front of him and do and fair or somthing to your liking (ikes' forward air stops when it his something so if u do get hit he can't recover and you'll be back on the stage).

ddd can go in to this match no worrys! i play ikes all the time and have yet to see any thing in ikes move set to be worried about. i'll put some matches of me fighting ike on youtube when i get a chance.

lol i hate to talk **** but, im gonna assume those ikes were pretty bad.

I would hardly consider dedede to be an ike counter. I consider ike my secondary and i have a feeling if i could fight my dedede with my ike, my ike would win.

Ike is actually pretty hard to gimp, everyone is now actually, but ike is one of the harder ones. If the ike knows how to sweetspot his sword when it spins and time it perfectly you'll rarely be getting any cheapkills on him off the edge. That plus his invincibility frames.

Then you have his insane fuking reach. IDK if azen uses fairs, but i do and i think they ****. Long range, good knockback, damage and if spaced right he can jab right after it. Bairs are dangerous and of course his smashes are too, although hella slow.

Anyways what i would do is NEVER approach from above. Ike has too many moves that hit about 180 degrees around his as$. Def. space with ftilts and waddle dees, not sure if you can CG him, if you can abuse that to the fullest, and just be careful when approaching. I doubt you can be aggressive on a good ike, he simply has too much range and too many attacks that make you say "WHY THE *** DID THAT HIT?". For the most part i think this match needs to be played with more mindgames then anything. Just punish him on dumb**** he does or on his laggy moves, which alot of them are. Patience is what your looking for. But really it just depends on how he plays, if he rushes you non stop obviously your gonna have to do something else, likewise if he he camps you out you gotta play differently as well.

Don't forget to gimp his sideB though, either throw something, attack him or just jump in front of him. This might be the only way to truly cheapkill ike, just get him off the stage but keep him relatively high at about stage level and do not let him go underneath cuz then he cant do his bull**** upb OR side b cuz he'll die..

Met

Smash Ace
Dude I have to disagree. I feel that dedede has advantages over Ike. And i probably would go as far to say that he somewhat counters ike. I have played azens Ike as well. Now i don't think dedede has huuuugggeee! advantages over him but i do think its in his favor. and why does no one know tht he can chain grab ike? he can as well as like half the cast of characters.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
Dude I have to disagree. I feel that dedede has advantages over Ike. And i probably would go as far to say that he somewhat counters ike. I have played azens Ike as well. Now i don't think dedede has huuuugggeee! advantages over him but i do think its in his favor. and why does no one know tht he can chain grab ike? he can as well as like half the cast of characters.
just to note, i mentioned that i cg against Mike G's Ike...and yes, i think the match is in dedede's favor, but not a landslide. you just have to keep ike from pressuring too much. waddle dees disrupt that guy like no other, as it cuts off his quick draw approach and absorb some of his swings. you have to be careful, though, as dedede can't use his A attacks when a waddle dee is near him...

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
if DDD counters ike why can't I beat Azen, but I beat everyone else. Sure that's based off only one tourney, and without question he's better than me, but still. I've ***** every other ike (I only played like 2 or 3 though) cept him so far, but whenever I fight him, he just lives to super high %s and I get up smashed and triple jabbed a lot and I always lose. Even though he's nice and splits with me anyway if I get 2nd, for the sake of pride and competition I'd like to try to win, which is a big reason I play. Which is why I'm asking what to do in the matchup so I can do better next time, so any input you have please say it.

Vicious699

Smash Apprentice
counter pick an ike on a flat stage like FD and smashville. crooked stages like lylat can mess up ddds chain grab (i play as ike and i play a good ddd a lot).

GA Peach

Smash Lord
if DDD counters ike why can't I beat Azen, but I beat everyone else. Sure that's based off only one tourney, and without question he's better than me, but still. I've ***** every other ike (I only played like 2 or 3 though) cept him so far, but whenever I fight him, he just lives to super high %s and I get up smashed and triple jabbed a lot and I always lose. Even though he's nice and splits with me anyway if I get 2nd, for the sake of pride and competition I'd like to try to win, which is a big reason I play. Which is why I'm asking what to do in the matchup so I can do better next time, so any input you have please say it.
as i said before, i don't think it is a counter, but i do think that dedede has a slight advantage due to being able to cg ike and keep him at bay with pokes and projectiles. if you're looking for a good kill move against him, so he doesn't like to the super high %s you mentioned here, i would try to land utilt. it's a move you won't be comboing too much with, so stale move won't affect it. also, against ike, when he's off the edge, try and get hit by his quick draw. once he hits something in the air, he will fall and not be able to do anything. this will also work if he hits a waddle dee with quick draw

kook321

Smash Apprentice
Am just going to reiterate somethings that u probably already know, but to emphasis, ilk's disability of recovery and lack of projectiles. I dont have the game but i have seen azen play, so the only thing that might work if all else fails is being a douche by camping, ftilts, and if possible shield grabing dthrowns. The latter i doubt will work though, it could easily be remedy with good spacing.

xDARKLINKx

Smash Ace
I never said Ike counters dedede and i also never said dedede is even at a disadvantage. I agree dedede has a small advantage because of his grabs and waddle dees, but its still gonna be some what of a tough fight. Dedede for sure does not counter ike that i can tell you. I havn't played a GOOD ike yet, but it looks like he should be able to get out of the CG by jabbing. Just wondering when did you play azen and how many times?

Thats quite a simple question really, because DDD does NOT counter ike. I'm sure alot of your problems are because of azen more than they are of ike, but like i said he has a bunch of moves that land when they clearly look like they shouldn't have. As for the jabs, i really cant think of a way not to get hit by them, they're just too dman fast. Your just gonna have to space with wdees and ftilts and pretty much camp it and punish him on laggy moves lol.

Met

Smash Ace
I never said Ike counters dedede and i also never said dedede is even at a disadvantage. I agree dedede has a small advantage because of his grabs and waddle dees, but its still gonna be some what of a tough fight. Dedede for sure does not counter ike that i can tell you. I havn't played a GOOD ike yet, but it looks like he should be able to get out of the CG by jabbing. Just wondering when did you play azen and how many times?
Ike can't get out by jabbing if you do it right. On a stage that isn't flat he will be able to get out of it. This is romeo right? I live in blacksburg chillin goes to school here. He got brawl a while back and alot of us have been playing. I have played azen online only two matches recorded vs his Ike. But i have also played his pit, Lucario, D3, R.O.B., ZSS and his PT. I have also played the dude who made this thread online in D3 dittos.

We also have a good Ike that plays down here. So I do have some expierence in this match up. and i think that Dedede has the match up.

Scar

#HarveyDent
this is m2k posting at scars house forgetting to log out

why not mention stuff about the matchup instead of your opinion on it, cuz that doesn't help

how do you play online well, it's too hard, chillin ***** my **** online but in person i beat him in our tourney set, i don't see why people want to have online tourneys it's too hard to do anything reaction based at all. I guess I don't have the "mindgames" to know what everyone is gonna do =(

US version DDD throws items now randomly :(

Met

Smash Ace
why not mention stuff about the matchup instead of your opinion on it, cuz that doesn't help

how do you play online well, it's too hard, chillin ***** my **** online but in person i beat him in our tourney set, i don't see why people want to have online tourneys it's too hard to do anything reaction based at all. I guess I don't have the "mindgames" to know what everyone is gonna do =(

did you turn the items off all individually? because in the Japanese version if you tuned them off in the top left box but still had them all set on on, they would still come out randomly. And i dunno dude the lag was horrible when i played you i couldn' even chain grab. but i guess you just have to think ahead.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc

I'm pretty sure Dedede has the advantage in this match & I might even go so far as to call him an Ike counter. Correst me if I'm wrong, but Dedede has everything Ike has & more. His f-tilt outranges everything Ike has, so its good for spacing. You should also take advantage of Ike's lack of projectiles; spam Waddledees like crazy. Ike is hard for Dedede to approach, so just camp & wait for him to come to you. Use shieldgrabbing when he approaches to start a chaingrab & finish with a forward throw to knock him off the stage. Ike's recovery isn't worth sh*t & Dedede is a good edgeguarder. Make sure you play on a flat stage too since chaingrab works best there.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't have the NA version, just the JPN version and he's thrown items out randomly since the first day I got it. I have items set to off and I also have each item individually turned off. So far he's thrown Final Smashes and Dragoon pieces. This has happened online and offline for me.

My conjecture on this matchup is that Ike has to swing his sword sometime. If Dedede is adept he should be able to either attack first or counter attack during Ike's lag.

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
he has for me

to be honest m2k you seriously should just camp more i guess

edit *M2K convince velocity to take me to your house lol

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
I walked into this post as if it were Smash Kingdom :D (If ya don't know, check it on Newgrounds, it's hilarious).

Anyways, as a fellow Dedede main, I usually swarm with Waddle Dees until they get close, then head to the air. I find that the Ikes I've played might not have good aerial games, but I don't think Ike has as great an aerial game as Dedede.

jngshin

Smash Cadet
azen will read this and counter your counter and also think of counters to counter your counter to his counter

edit: also m2k already found out how to beat ike aka using the reduced shield lag more to his advantage

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Ike's Side+B can be countered by Waddle Dees since waddle dee will take the damage. This can also stop Ike's Side+B in the air, when he tries to recover.

One thing i try to do is throw 2 Waddle Dees (or Waddle Doo, but not gordo) in front so they can act like a shield. Then I get my Jet Hammer charged up. When Ike leaves himself open... you nail him if you're quick enough.

Have you also tried the Famouse Dedede Chaingrab? It should work on slow-movin characters.

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
Azen plays ike now?

I throw Waddles all the time in this match up. deffensive Ikes are going to take a bit of damage, before they have to come in to attack.

Aggresive Ikes are going to get a shield grab chain throw to the face. Edgeguards work real well too. Tap them with a bak air to inturupt second jump, and as long as they are far enough, ather can't recover

EoW

Smash Apprentice
Some of these responses dont really pretain to the idea, such as using the cannon hammer. Its effing Azen not some scrub who is going to spam ather and leave himself open. Also with the idea of getting him out of second jump, again its azen, give him some credit of having mind games he wasn't one of the better if not one of the best melee players. im pretty sure he has enough mindgames to get around little gimps.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Spam the ^B.

Glad to hear that M2K is all about D3.

Anybody got any advice on the Toon Link matchup? I'm not having too much trouble, but it's some tricky sniz. I'd like to win more.

Top Bottom