• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day in the Life of a Noob Melee Player

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=4180]Day in the Life of a Noob Melee Player[/drupal]

1.) Practice SHFFL for 2 straight hours.
2.) Play against level 9 CPU in a ditto in sheer boredom.
3.) Rage every time I didn't get a 4-stock.
4.) End game depressed.

*Conclusion: I can't wait to actually get PEOPLE to play against ):

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Training can be frustrating, but if you have the willpower you will over come.

Best of luck to what ever goals you have in mind.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I get so angry when I play lvl 9s. They jab so much.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
@Dragoon Fighter Thanks a lot. Small encouragement goes a long way in my book =)

@Pogogo & @InferiorityComplex Yah, I hear ya. I get mostly angry, though, because I fall for the REALLY stupid stuff. Got hit twice in a row by level 9 Falcon's UP-B and wanted to rip my controller in two XP

Cemetery

Smash Apprentice
You're not supposed to practice against LV. 9's. They literally make you worse.

According to M2K, LV. 5 computers have the best DI, so roll with those.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord

Really? I pretty much have the same schedule Twinkles. I'll try this from now on.

Twinkles

Smash Lord

Yeah, I heard about that. I just get bored after beating on level 1's all day, so I occasionally go level 9 to see how I can match up. But you're right, it's probably a bad habit I should get rid of :\

Level 5's actually use DI? Whoa. That's something I def. needa try out.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
if you're doing tech practice, just hit level 1s around, practice combos, etc.

what region do you live in btw?
WC, SoCal. Region wise, I'm pretty sure finding a tourney isn't the problem. The real problem is getting to one, since I got strict parents and lots of school work. Also, I don't have any "good" Melee friends (the best one I've played spams rolls :/).

Hopefully, once summer comes (and later college) I can get out and explore.

Cemetery

Smash Apprentice
You live in one of the most skilled and populated Melee regions. Get out there.

Yeah, I heard about that. I just get bored after beating on level 1's all day, so I occasionally go level 9 to see how I can match up. But you're right, it's probably a bad habit I should get rid of :\

Level 5's actually use DI? Whoa. That's something I def. needa try out.
LV. 9 computers DI downwards, which leads to bad habits being developed, and LV. 1's don't DI at all. LV. 5 is the perfect mix.

WC, SoCal. Region wise, I'm pretty sure finding a tourney isn't the problem. The real problem is getting to one, since I got strict parents and lots of school work. Also, I don't have any "good" Melee friends (the best one I've played spams rolls :/).

Hopefully, once summer comes (and later college) I can get out and explore.
Just say you're going to a friends house. People usually offer carpools, so distance doesn't become much of an issue.

crazysquriel

Smash Rookie
I have the same problem. I live in wichita Falls TX so i could go to Dallas and Oklahoma every now and then. I just wish there were tournaments in my home town. However, I'm lucky enough to have friends that play. Like you i have the friends that spam rolls and 2 moves, but i have 2 friends that are as into it as i am. I just want to get out in the competitive seen more and get better.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Region wise, I'm pretty sure finding a tourney isn't the problem. The real problem is getting to one, since I got strict parents and lots of school work. Also, I don't have any "good" Melee friends (the best one I've played spams rolls :/).
Wow, that's just like me. Only instead of friends its my cousins and my brother, but my brother got sick of it because I kept beating him the exact same way. I have a cousin who's kind of good for a non-competitive player because he can adapt and everything, but he's still not willing to really get into it.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Just say you're going to a friends house. People usually offer carpools, so distance doesn't become much of an issue.
Hm, that could be a good idea. I'll try to see if there are any Melee players 'round where I live. I'm pretty sure, though, that my region is one of the more inactive areas of SoCal D:
Well, either way, when summer hits is when I hit the jackpot :)

Wow, that's just like me. Only instead of friends its my cousins and my brother, but my brother got sick of it because I kept beating him the exact same way. I have a cousin who's kind of good for a non-competitive player because he can adapt and everything, but he's still not willing to really get into it.
Yeah...I went to a friend's house today and played Melee. He normally plays Brawl, so I didn't expect much and...things got kinda awkward after I won so many times. :p

Top Bottom