• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dawn of the 3D Remake: Young Link for DLC! (ROY IS SEMI-CLONED! HOPE FOR MOVESET CHANGES RISES!)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Young Link could very well replace Toon Link I feel. Especially if they are gonna make the regular Link appear like his Skyward Sword self (which is becoming more likely, as the Zelda team will probably make Zelda Wii U with the same style as said in an interview). Would be a cool contrast, especially with Brawl as there it was the other way around.

Toon Link's playstyle could then be inherrited to regular Link, making him a little floatier and with better running and jumping abilities. Not extremely different, but different enough to make him floatier and a faster runner than in any Smash game.

Young Link could then play like his Melee self, being just only a SLIGHT bit faster than regular Link but playing more like the Link we all know and remember, with the Boomerang and Bombs and all. Regular 'Skyward Sword Link' would then maybe get different specials, as the Skyward Strike as Side B for example, and the Spin Attack being like Melee's. While Young Link's could be chargable like Link and Toon Link's in Brawl. Skyward Sword Link could have a different Up Smash as well, as a vertical Spin Attack, and would have his aerials like Toon Link's (as N Air, B Air and F Air, while keeping his strong D Air as regular Link). I also feel Skyward Link should use his Double Clawshots more cleverly. Like being able to use it after his Up B.

Skyward Link could also perhaps have a double sword slash as his F Tilt, and having his Forward Smash like as in Smash 64 perhaps (the jump strike) while Young Link keeps the single hit F Tilt and double hit F Smash. Similary, Skyward Link could have a single hit F Air, and Young Link a double hit (as did Link's F Air in Brawl).

Anyway, I expect we'll get a child Link again anyway. So it could as well be Young Link I feel. Just differenciate them more than even in Brawl and it'll be fine.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I severely doubt young link
I think that they will change up toon link a little more to make him more distinct besides from just physical attribute changes.

:phone:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I know in the originals, Link is 16 in the AOL so he is younger than 16 in the original.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword Link strike me as high school/early college age. OOT Link seems older (perhaps early 20s) based on clothing and look.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I know in the originals, Link is 16 in the AOL so he is younger than 16 in the original.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword Link strike me as high school/early college age. OOT Link seems older (perhaps early 20s) based on clothing and look.
I don't know, their faces are really, ridiculously smooth. Do they have magic razors appearing 500 years ahead of schedule? I suspect the 'adult' Links might be a fair bit younger than we assume.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Now I've got to go and check if any of the other townspeople have beards.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
9 years old or not, I think Young Link is now easily one of the least likely veterans to return to the series now that Wind Waker HD is announced. It'll be Toon Link again most likely.

volbound1700

Smash Master
IMO Toon Link is suppose to be the successor of Young Link. I never saw Young Link as being cut, I just thought he got a makeover to fit in the newer series.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)

Lolz, you actually got it kinda messed. :p It's already been stated officially by Nintendo that TP Link is around the age of 18-19 and SS Link is around the age of 16-17. OoT Link is 16. TP Link was the oldest Link ever. OoT Young Link was the youngest.

Well remember that Link is not human but more Elvish. (Notice the pointed ears for example).
There are no elves in LoZ. They are Hylians, who are different from regular humans. :smash:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Haha I said he was Elvish but not an Elf. He is like an Elf :). OOT Link looks older to me. Perhaps the earing, hairstyle, clothing, etc. lend me to believe that. Adventures of Link is the only canon source to my knowledge that actually stages age because of the appearance of the Triforce symbol on his 16th birthday. I loved AOL, I know it is the dark sheep of the series but it was my favorite as a kid.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Strange, then, that they made him look the youngest of the three.
I always felt Skyward Sword Link was younger and Twilight Princess Link was older.:ohwell: It might have had something to do with demeanor, art style...or maybe it was just me.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
It makes sense. 'Darker' color schemes tend to denote a greater age, IMO, and in order of brightness, SS > OoT > TP. In addition, TP seemed to have more serious overtones in the story, setting, dialogue, etc, which probably gears itself towards an 'older' LoZ fan audience, which in turn would give the appearance that the main char of said LoZ would also be older to appeal towards them. TP Zelda was also the 'oldest looking' Zelda I'd ever seen.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And again I feel like Young Link is the least likely character to return in Smash at this point, much like pre-Brawl. Where he shared this with Dr.Mario. Imagine how he'd feel by now, when before Wind Waker HD's announcement, he still stood even with Toon Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Who's to say we wont hear about Zelda 3DS with a brand new child Link who would get in instead of Young or Toon Link? I mean yeah Zelda 3DS hasn't been shown yet but who's to say Sakurai doesn't already know about this Link and is working on him for smash 4? Especially since that Link will likely be a secret unlockable character so they would have plenty of time to work on him before the game's release right? :/ The only thing going against him is that so far the handheld side of the Zelda series doesn't get much attention compared to the home console side in terms of smash and the Zelda fanbase but still...

I'd still prefer Toon Link to come back but I don't think I should deny the return of OoT Young Link or a possible brand new Zelda 3DS Child Link... :/

bubbaking

Smash Hero
The thing about handheld LoZ games, though, is that they're usually pre/sequels or remakes of console games. The ONLY exceptions to this 'rule' so far are the Oracle games, and it's fairly clear that Link isn't definitely a young boy in those games (as in, he probably isn't and it could never be known for sure if he was). As for the rest of the non-remake LoZ handheld games:
  • Link's Awakening is a sequel to A Link to the Past.
  • Minnish Cap is a prequel to Four Swords.
  • Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are sequels to Wind Waker.
The bottom line is that, outside of the Oracle games, LoZ handhelds are never standalone originals. They don't really supply original content. One could argue that Spirit Tracks might be a bit of a stretch here but its storyline is contrived straight from Wind Waker's (it even states that in the game), and the artistic design used in that game as well as some of the plot devices, such as the comedic actions of Toon Link, are clearly direct derivatives of Wind Waker. It remains to be seen if Nintendo will ever stray from this formula and create another LoZ handheld game which possesses both a unique Link and an individual story that doesn't bear a dependence on a that of a previous game's.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So would that mean that Zelda 3DS would likely be a Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword sequel? Well I guess we will have to wait and see then. But wasn't Four Sword's it's own standalone game before Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures came along? I mean yeah it was bundled with the A Link to the Past rerelease but still... :/ Oh well, I guess I'll take your word for it.

Zelda 3DS might end up a sequel/prequel of a previous game but it might end up being something different. We will just have to wait and see.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Spirit Tracks isn't a very close sequel. It's informed by Phantom Hourglass, but no more so than The Wind Waker was informed by Ocarina of Time.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The 3DS game is a sequel to ALttP.

Young Link ain't coming back. It'll probably be Toon Link, what with the WWHD remake, or the ALttP sequel's Link (but what would they call him? Classic Link?), who is a younger Link as evidenced by his voice.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They should call him Linky. Or LINKYBWOY!

trumpet210

Smash Rookie
Young Link with the three masks would be so fun to play, for sure! I just think it would be difficult to implement. Since he's still Link, it would be odd to have no traditional movesets with the sword (though that never stopped them with Ganondorf...)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I would seriously love it if Young Link returned as Masked Link, especially considering that a Majora's Mask remake is extremely likely, but it'd be hard to see him fitting in when 5 characters is already a lot. Doesn't help that other ideas like Toon Zelda and Ghirahim often pop up as competition for a 5th Zelda character.

kalvar

Smash Rookie
I think young link has a chance of coming back, since ocarina of time was remade fairly recently he has a shot. As for Toon Link I doubt it, just because he is a background character in one of the stages (the spirit tracks one)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think young link has a chance of coming back, since ocarina of time was remade fairly recently he has a shot. As for Toon Link I doubt it, just because he is a background character in one of the stages (the spirit tracks one)

I think that Sakurai would want to make the two presented versions of Link as different as possible while minimizing how much work goes into it. Toon Link is just more different than Adult link, especially now that he's kept a more realistic design. Besides, Toon Link has been in quite a few more games than Young Link and the Wind Waker HD remake is getting a lot of press.

Besides, TL has more options for new specials than YL.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Young Link will return to Smash, but not the one you know. With ALBW coming out, the Link from ALTP will be the next Zelda rep. His age isn't confirmed, but he's thought to be a child from this games. And he technically will have made the most appearances out of all the Links, considering LA, ALTP, ALBW, OOA, and OOS.

So his name will be Young Link, but he'll be a totally different character.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Megaman and Mario are also background characters in that stage.

Toon Link is coming back. The question is whether or not we'll have Toon Zelda, Tetra, Toon Ganondorf, Ghirahim, or Skull Kid as another rep.

I don't think "Classic Link" will make it, with there being 2 other links.

XtreamDarkRyu

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-8318-2992
Wow I have not been here in a long time. First off, grizby2 I cannot stop laughing at the idea of a toung link. I know it was a typo and all but Jesus.

As for a way to make masked link I think you guys are just over doing it with switching masks with b-down like Pokemon trainer does with his Pokemon. Why not just make his specials have him put on a mask and perform a move and then take it off returning to himself. Given it would be awesome to switch and whole new move sets but this could solve any time constraint issues. Now I haven't played MM yet, I'm waiting for a remake on 3DS, so help with with some move ideas here. Maybe his b-down transforms him into gorgon link and he crushes people below him, b-up makes him deku link and he does a corresponding rising attack and lastly his b-side makes him zora link and he quickly attacks in the direction you pressed. His b-neutral can be sling shot that's chargeable and can be aimed. His tilts and smashes can all be different attacks from regular link as well as other possible masked moves. Any thoughts or ideas for possible moves guys? Oh and of course his final smash is fierce deity link.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Here is how we keep Young Link:

Young Link

B: Hero's Bow (Fire and Ice): While charging Bow you can press left and right to change the arrow! Ice if fully charged will freeze enemies. Fire if fully charged will burn enemies.
>B : Deku Stick: Link will take it out of who knows where and will act like a beam sword. But after one hit. It will break. But if some kind of fire hits it, it will act like fire arrows. But can still only hit opponents once.
VB: Transform: Puts on a mask to become Deku Link.
^B: Magic Spin Attack: It can be fully charged with magic and shoot out some aura.
Taunt: Will play Ocarina.

Deku Link

B: Bubble: Will charge a bubble (SNOT) and shoot it afterwards.
B (air): Deku Bomb: Will drop a Deku Nut below... can stun enemies! (Can also be used while using ^B)
>B: Deku Nut: Will stun enemies.
^B: Deku Flower: Will be shot into the air while holding pedals.
VB: Transform: Will turn put on Goron mask.
Taunt: Will play Pipes.

Goron Link

B: Roll Out: Just like Jigglypuff's. But moves barely.
>B: Roll Out: Will charge up and if he moves enough his body will be full of spikes and do massive damage.
^B: Roll Drop: Will curl into a ball and bounce up. (I have no idea I just remember it in Majora's Mask. If you were in the ball you could bounce up)
VB: Transform: Put on Zora Mask.
Taunt: Will play Drums.

Zora Link

B: Boomerang Arms: If you charge they will go farther.
>B: Electric Charge: Will go forward surrounded in electricity.
^B: Twirl of Death: Will spin upwards.
VB: Transform: Will take off Zora Mask and become Young Link.
Taunt: Will play Guitar.

FINAL SMASH: Feirce Deity LINK
Young Link (or any of the other Links) will put on the Feirce Deity Mask.

B: Beam Fire: Will charge up a beam and fire it forward.
>B: Jump Attack: Will jump forward and strike. (Will also fire a beam)
^B: Ultra Magic Spin Attack: Will do more range than the Magic Spin Attack.
VB: (Will turn off Final Smash form if used) Oath to Order: Plays Ocarina of Time to call the Guardians (you know the 4 old guys)
Taunt: Will pull out Majoras Mask.
:younglinkmelee:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Young Link is my 2nd most wanted Melee-come backer, next to the Mad Doctor. I have a feeling that since Orcarina of Time 3D is a great game for money, I have faith. I made specials. :D

N-Special: Spin Attack. By charging it up, you can unleash not just the spin attack, but the Magic Meter draining one. The more charge, you can unleash a longer ranged Spin Attack. Damage ranges from 10-20%

Side: Zelda's Lullaby. Young Link plays Zelda's Lullaby. The aura from the in game song will damage opponents w/ a Multi-Hit. Maximum of 15%

Up: Young Link uses Faroe's Wind(Sorry if I misspelled) and flies up 6 Jigglypuffs. Does no damage, but repels enemies.

Down: Din's Fire. With a lot o Startup and Ending lag, this is a powerful move. Doing a Multi hit move, it does 30% max!

Final Smash: Triforce Slash. If you've played Brawl, you know what I'm talking about.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Honestly I was sad that Young Link wasn't in Brawl and was replaced by that other "Link" but maybe he could return as MM Link being able to put on masks and for his Final Smash putting on Fierce Deity's mask and just go total bad*** but idk with the Wind Waker HD Toon Link may come back or not.

Top Bottom