• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Analysis Complete! Slippy Toad Support Thread

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see more people on-board with getting Slippy and/or Peppy. I'm planning on remaking my old Slippy moveset to where it'd accommodate both him and Peppy. Still going to derive mostly from Assault, Zero, and Guard.

I've seen some speculation from people like Stealth wondering if the rumored Star Fox Grand Prix will make an appearance at the Game Awards or not. Timing would make sense, since they wouldn't want to steal the Star Fox thunder from Starlink too soon after its release. If the Star Fox Grand Prix game truly exists, and is planned for a Spring/Summer 2019 release, it makes the idea of a Star Fox character being DLC for promotion not too much of a stretch.
If you're interested in making the Peppy thread, how about we do it together? I had a few ideas that I planned to make for the Peppy thread myself, if you're up for it we can share ideas and work together on it?

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
For the sake of my brother I'll throw in my support. when the Cloud trailer started and everyone else was thinking "is it wolf?!" he said "Slippy?" he's wanted Slippy in for a long time. since Melee I think. and if it actually ever did happen I would be happy to see it. for myself, and for the joy it would bring my brother.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
For the sake of my brother I'll throw in my support. when the Cloud trailer started and everyone else was thinking "is it wolf?!" he said "Slippy?" he's wanted Slippy in for a long time. since Melee I think. and if it actually ever did happen I would be happy to see it. for myself, and for the joy it would bring my brother.
Nice. I've been wanting the complete 4 members of Starfox in Smash ever since I first played Smash 64. It just feels off just having half the team in Smash. And over the years I've seen plenty of arguments as to why Slippy and Peppy shouldn't be in Smash, like for example saying that they would be useless or it would be hard to make a move set for them, they can't be in Smash unless another franchise gets more fighters, Slippy is annoying and can't fight and Peppy is too old to be in Smash.

It's all the same bias excuses :laugh:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It really does make no sense to me why Falco gets to be in Smash but not the other two. Prior to Melee, there wasn't anything that put him on a higher pedestal than Slippy or Peppy. Actually, if it weren't for Smash, they'd probably be more notable than him due to the longstanding memes they've generated.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Slippy's the only Star Fox member aside from Fox himself who was always directly involved in the gameplay and story. With his gadgets, I know he could have a unique moveset that separates him from the spacies. I never shared the same annoyance for the character that many others do, and in fact, he's one of my favorites. I support.

It really does make no sense to me why Falco gets to be in Smash but not the other two. Prior to Melee, there wasn't anything that put him on a higher pedestal than Slippy or Peppy. Actually, if it weren't for Smash, they'd probably be more notable than him due to the longstanding memes they've generated.
I think if Melee had more development time and Adventures came out before it, Sakurai would've seen Falco's absence from the story and chosen to give a unique moveset to Slippy. Instead, it was essentially a dog (and bird) fight between Falco and Wolf to see who would be the better Fox clone. I still love both of those characters, but Slippy deserves to be next. Krystal is more popular but she's seemingly been retconned from the SF universe.

D

Deleted member

Don’t end up in a battle with Slippy, or else your blood he shall sippy. (I am sorry.)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I would really like to see Slippy in as a Star Fox fighter that isn't a Fox clone of any sort. I support!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Thought I'd share this Slippy fighter concept by @ChrisUnivrs on Twitter.

Seems the direction was aimed toward making Slippy a technical fighter with a lot of ways to shut the opponent down and cripple their mobility, which I'm quite a fan of. Personally, I think Slippy would work best in Smash with a moveset based around playing keep-away and limiting the opponent's options. I really like the idea of having his Neutral Special be a shield neutralizer, as it draws on Slippy's most defining and well-known ability in the Star Fox series, and would be an interesting type of effect we haven't seen from any other character's moves before.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice

Seems the direction was aimed toward making Slippy a technical fighter with a lot of ways to shut the opponent down and cripple their mobility, which I'm quite a fan of. Personally, I think Slippy would work best in Smash with a moveset based around playing keep-away and limiting the opponent's options. I really like the idea of having his Neutral Special be a shield neutralizer, as it draws on Slippy's most defining and well-known ability in the Star Fox series, and would be an interesting type of effect we haven't seen from any other character's moves before.

Very nice I like what you've done with it so far!

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I finally finished up some alt colors for Slippy. I'm might try making some for Peppy in the future.

Slippy Alt colors1.png

Top Row:
Starfox 0 & Starlink
Dark Slippy
Red/Player 1 (SF Assault)
Yellow/Player 3 (SF Assault)
Blue/Player 2 (SF Assault)
Green/Player 4 (SF Assault)

Bottom Row:
Starfox 64 x SF64 3D
Starfox Adventures
Grippy Toad
Solid Toad (Metal Gear Solid 1 Snake colors)
Inverted Starfox 0
Ash Greninja

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
These palette swaps are extremely choice. That Solid Toad is a work of genius. I think I'd use the yellow one, since I was always Player 3 when my friends and I would play Assault's multiplayer (and of course, I would always use Slippy).

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Phenominal concept for Slippy's specials. It makes him a character that succeeds by limiting what the opponent can do. Restricting their movement, making them have to work against the Aegis Cams, disabling their ability to shield, etc. If these were his specials, I'd be ecstatic. Though I'd change a few things, personally.

I'd swap his Neutal and Down Specials. Use Neutral Special to place the Aegis Cam, use Neutral Special again to have it fire lasers from its position. Then, maybe have the ability to hold down the input to cause the Aegis Cam to self-destruct. This would allow you to have constant access to his 'Enemy Shield Neutralized' move, being his Down Special. Which, by the way, is brilliant.

The Side Special is a pretty neat concept, though I'm not too sure I understand how it works. I like the idea of essentially being able to deploy a barrier between you and the enemy, which I can see being great for edge-guarding. Not sure about making it invulnerable to physical attacks, though, since not every character has projectiles. Making it immune to projectiles without reflecting them, and vulnerable, but highly resistant, to physical attacks may work better.

Don't care much for the teleporter Up Special, myself. I've always liked the idea of him using the jetpack from Assault, making his recovers similar to R.O.B.'s.

I finally finished up some alt colors for Slippy. I'm might try making some for Peppy in the future.

View attachment 168432
Top Row:
Starfox 0 & Starlink
Dark Slippy
Red/Player 1 (SF Assault)
Yellow/Player 3 (SF Assault)
Blue/Player 2 (SF Assault)
Green/Player 4 (SF Assault)

Bottom Row:
Starfox 64 x SF64 3D
Starfox Adventures
Grippy Toad
Solid Toad (Metal Gear Solid 1 Snake colors)
Inverted Starfox 0
Ash Greninja
These look fantastic. I'd probably play as that 'Dark Slippy' swap.

If I had to pick eight, I'd go with the whole top row, the Adventures alt, and the Grippy alt.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Truthfully, I would support Slippy being playable IF they give him a joke moveset; the comedy from it is the only reason I would support Slippy as a fighter.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
After watching the Direct, I really want the Starlink Devs to be the ones handling the Starfox series (without the toy gimmicks, just buy the digital version). Also it's funny how there's been rumors of a Starfox racing game but it just revealed itself to be a racing mini game for Starlink. Although the racing content in Starlink may or may not be related to the rumors.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would main Slippy. The character has a fun aesthetic for Star Fox's more serious tone. This isn't to neglect Peppy, but I honestly don't see him being as interesting.

Top Bottom