• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DAT Texture Wizard (current version: 6.1.4)

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
The Kanji Update!

Moving on up to version 5.5:

- Support added for SdMenu.dat/.usd, which contain much of Melee's Kanji (Japanese alphabet) textures
- Expanded support for banner file (opening.bnr) decoding/encoding, which:
- Added support for Japanese characters (Hiragana/Katakana) in disc details
- Fixes discs that have Japanese in their disc details not loading all files in the Disc File Tree
- Fixed disc root building/rebuilding for Japanese discs
- Added an encoding selector switch on the Disc Details tab *​
Small general improvements to how the disc details texts are loaded/edited/saved
Shift+Enter can now be used on the Disc Details tab for "Image Name" to enter line breaks
Support added for Melee's LbMcGame/LbMcSnap files, which contain memory card save file banners & icons
Fixed the issue of double-clicking on files/folders in the Disc File Tree's "File" column not detected​

* When a disc is loaded, the encoding will be automatically detected. However, since there's no indicator of a specific country/region/encoding in the opening.bnr files themselves, if you open one of those as a standalone file (one not in a disc), then you may need to toggle the encoding manually. "English/EU" is selected by default.

Only a 64-bit build for now. My 32-bit environment suddenly stopped working.

How to edit Mario, Dr Mario and Luigi coin?
There are some coins in ItCo.usd, but I haven't checked to see if they're the same ones.

I can't right click on my skin file to extract to DAT , has someone experienced the same?
What version of the program are you using? What OS? What file does it happen on? Does the Extract button or top menu option work?

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
This isn't that big of a deal but when I import Pikachu's cheek texture there's a slight change in the color - even if I'm importing a clean texture from an untouched ISO. Got any ideas?

evidence.png

I tried converting the .png to a .tpl to see if that made any difference but no luck there.

EDIT:

Also how come the leaves that Wispy blows out don't show up in DTW? I used to have the offsets for them so I could manually place them (hence why they're ****ed up squares in this picture) but it's been like three years since I made this stage. Figured I'd try and finish it up and release it.

Dolphin 2019-01-07 06-06-12-917.png

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
This isn't that big of a deal but when I import Pikachu's cheek texture there's a slight change in the color - even if I'm importing a clean texture from an untouched ISO. Got any ideas?

I tried converting the .png to a .tpl to see if that made any difference but no luck there.
CMPR textures are highly compressed and lossy, and can't store a perfect reproduction of all [usual 32-bit] colors. Plus, the encoder used to create the data originally in the game is not the same as the one DTW uses. Still, I think it could be better, and I've wanted to upgrade it, but it's just always been low priority.

There are a few workarounds that come to mind. You could export/re-import all of his textures, so the yellow is slightly modified for all of them by the same amount. Or you could bypass the final encoding of the yellow color by converting your finished texture to a TPL, open the file in a hex editor, manually edit all instances of the "wrong" yellow with the game's original one (HxD, Sublime, and other programs have a "replace all" feature you can use), then import that TPL into DTW. With this particular texture, it's not too hard to identify the right values, since the first pixels in the image are the color you're looking for, and there are few variations of it. Thus, ignoring the complexities of this format, you can open it up and find this:

1546908229236.png

The value highlighted in yellow is the offset where the actual image data starts. The values underlined in blue and red are two slightly different variations of yellow, stored in RGB565 in this case. These are the original yellow colors, and will be slightly different in your modified texture. In the above case, the second red value isn't technically used, but it may be in your case, so just change all instances of both yellow colors you find with the above FE20 and FE00 values, respectively. Other shades of yellow will stay the same, of course, such as directly around the red dot/cheek, but this should change enough of them that this texture will blend in nicely with the other colors on the model.

Also how come the leaves that Wispy blows out don't show up in DTW? I used to have the offsets for them so I could manually place them (hence why they're ****ed up squares in this picture) but it's been like three years since I made this stage. Figured I'd try and finish it up and release it.

They probably don't have an image data header (which DTW looks for), due to how they're animated and the fact that they're not part of the stage model. You can still use the Manual Placement tab to import those textures though. Should be explained in the ReadMe if you're not familiar with that method.

Good luck!

TheOtherEthan

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
TOE#355
can somebody give me a TL;DR of this? I only want to edit Fox & Falco's laser colors, but I've given them custom moves I don't want to overwrite, so I need to manually edit them.

Scrubtastic

Smash Rookie
I don't think I wrote something for the program to read palette offsets from the placements text files, since they're so uncommon (and not used in Steelia's placements files). I think you'll just need to type that into the program manually. The example you found is an example of how it would be given to the program (in the "Source Texture(s):" text field), where 0123F would be the hex address of the image data, and 3210F would be the hex address of the palette data.

Could you at some point try and find a solution to porting DAT to mac. Much Appreciated

64 Bit. I'm running WineBottler on a mac. But I haven't had problems until now.

Same

xPyroPunkx

Smash Rookie
NNID
xPyroPunkx
Bit of feedback here on user friendliness. If the Structure Properties from a Material Object could be listed alongside the Material Color Structure under the Properties tab when viewing a texture, it would be much more convenient for transparency purposes. Currently having to tab between the texture tree and structure analysis for each individual data header proves to be a bit time consuming. If the object properties were listed with texture/color structure etc, modifying render mode and transparency control at the same time would help speed things along. Maybe this is a little specific, but as it stands making a character model fully transparent takes longer than I imagine it could.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
I've created a perk for those who want to subscribe to my Patreon: early access to beta & test builds, so you can try out new features and versions of DTW while I'm still working on them. I often have a hard time finding time to work on these, so I figured this was a good way to share some useful things between ready/finished releases. It's also the perfect time to give feedback or suggestions for new features, as I can more quickly/easily make adjustments before making official releases. Test builds could even include ad hoc tweaks for specific things you might be working on, such as print statements for extra info on certain processes.

For various work on another project, I've lately been working on rewriting the Structural Analysis tab, which previously only worked for known structures in character files. It can now locate and display all structures in a typical DAT file (including stages, menu scenes, etc.), whether the file or structures are known or not. It dynamically attempts to identify them by comparing to known structs and some patterns, and creates just a generic struct for those that it can't identify. This should help a lot in further reverse engineering. The new framework powering this should also allow for adding structs and/or building new files in the future.

1563473526660.png

As mentioned, this is still a WIP, so there are still many structures and other functionality to add.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Bingo.

1569629900070.png
1569629577244.png
1569629660599.png

Lots of new effect textures; DTW is now recognizing 171 textures from the common effects file (EfCoData.dat), rather than 45. We got electricity, explosions, fire, ice, smoke, hit-GFX, fireworks(?), grab-GFX (I think), energy balls, the double-jump ring, sparkles, swipe-GFX, bubbles, rocks, and more! I think there are still more in that file too. Really takes me back to my Onomatopoeia Hack from ages ago, when I first started looking into the game's DAT file hex. The other effects files for specific characters should also have more in the same way, I'm guessing. I can go into detail in how they're stored if anyone is interested.

I can't even remember why now, but I started looking into this file a few days ago and figured it out. Still need to change how paletted textures are retrieved/stored/saved to fully support it though. And considering that this work is a tangent, I can't guarantee I'll finish this for the next release (which might still be a little while, as I still have some big internal changes to finalize).

Last edited:

119 | grimmer

Smash Rookie
Any word on when the next update will be out? I'm trying to extract the sparkles that appear when you collect the coins in coin battle and I believe they're in the EfCoData.dat file (just not any of the 45 currently available). Also, is there any way to display the coin textures like they're spinning in game? I made my own .webp animations of them spinning by taking .png's of every frame and cutting them out the best I could in gimp, but if there's a way i could do that with the actual texture files, it would probably look a bit better.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Actually, I'm hoping pretty soon; I've been working on it again recently. I'm guessing maybe a week or two for a new release, depending on how much time I can put to it. I'd actually forgotten that some features such as the effect file reading improvement hadn't been made public yet. I've been experimenting a lot with the new file structure framework I mentioned, and just need to get things stable again and add a few basic features before I can make a release.

If you just need the texture, here it is:
EfCoData.dat_0xcea80_0.png

Color isn't included with many of these textures so the game can re-use them and apply different colors for different situations (I'm not sure what else this particular one is used for though). Unlike many of the textures in these files, it's not part of an animation; it's just this, rotated and laid on top of itself. It appears only for ~10 frames (I think it varies a little bit), and achieves the glimmering effect by disappearing every other frame.

Also, you can find the coin textures at the end of the file, "ItCo.usd". DTW will export them with transparency preserved, so you don't need to cut them out. Might be better quality than what you found before.

As for displaying spinning coin animations, I'd say it depends on the context. Do you mean for displaying on the web? Or in a game or program?

D3WD

Smash Rookie
Every time I think about how sick Melee is, I completely forget about stuff like this. All of the people who have put in years to bring Melee to the next level. DRGN DRGN , Tcll Tcll , Itaru Itaru @InternetExplorer. So many talented people, hope everyone here is doing well.

119 | grimmer

Smash Rookie
I had seen this a few days ago, but finally replying. Thanks for sharing the texture but it doesn't seem to have any transparency, which is causing problems for me :/

Also I believe I heard you mention a way to use the DAT Texture Wizard to get the exact color values of the textures in a previous post. When the new update drops I'll need the color values for the sparkle texture when you collect coins :)

Thank you for all the work you all put into these projects! Like D3WD said, it's insane how many different resources our community has built FOR the community!

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
The texture doesn't naturally have transparency in the file (that texture type doesn't support it), however the texture can easily be edited to add it. GIMP has a fantastic feature that can make all of a specific color transparent, called "Color to Alpha..." (in the Colors menu). In this case, I used black as the target color, and got this:
Sparkle with transparency.png

The sparkle colors are probably determined by an animation, and aren't defined with the texture, or even with other types of structures often associated with textures when they're attached to a model. So I only have a rough idea of where they are, but not exact. When looking at a screenshot with GIMP, it looks like there are two colors associated with it, an inner color, and a gradual fade or glow into an outer color. The inner color, as hex, appears to be exactly d2c189. The outer color appears to be a dark red, approximately 220912. The texture is obviously scaled up in-game, but I'm not sure what operation is done to it to apply the outer glow color.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
sadly, I can't say life has been going so well for me, what with finding out everyone is evil (in general, not here so much)
I'm still working, yes, but my pace has gotten so slow it's almost at a standstill :(
I'll come back, I'm just not sure when

whenever I do though, I promise you guys will love it ;)

KevlarPlays

Smash Rookie
For the Mac users out there trying to use this program, you need to install Windows 10 on VirtualBox. Doesn't work with macOS.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Big Update!

Mostly in refactoring how the program handles/understands file structures, but also in quite a few handy features. Particularly for those trying to better view and understand the composition of files in the Structural Analysis tab. There are also a few other new features the average user will probably find handy. And no update would be complete without a few bug fixes.

To 6.0:
- Improved texture recognition (recognizes more textures, with less false-positives)
- Rewrote palette searching (also fixes replacing a paletted texture with an image of smaller size)
- Expanded support for Ef__Data.dat files (character graphical effects; ice/hit/sparks GFX, etc.)
- Improved texture decoding & file loading performance (over 40% faster!)
- Structural Analysis tab and its functionality completely rewritten:
- Now displays ALL structures within most DAT files (including stages, menu files, etc.)
- Shows known structures and attempts to identify and map unknown structures
- More info displayed per-struct, such as parents/siblings/children, struct length, etc.
- Shows basic file stats such as file size, total pointers, total structs, etc.
- Deep Dive function to show an in-depth analysis of total file composition
- Added a Structure Search feature (click on magnifing glass in the lower left or press CTRL-F)
- Added an 'Analyze Structure' button to the Disc File Tree tab for convenience​
- Improved support for stage names/descriptions in 20XXHP, for versions 4.06 and up:
- Names for each set of 15 random neutrals are now dynamically determined from the disc
- New 'Rename Random Neutral Nickname' feature added to rename random neutral stage names
- More convenience folders added (i.e. folders not actually in the disc's file system)
- Added names/descriptions for more stages​
- New 'Model' and 'Properties' tabs, with a few basic tools for working with models & textures
- Textures loaded in the DAT Texture Tree are now ordered by file offset by default
- Trailing black/null palette entries removed from palette data and DAT Texture Tree Palette tab
- Loading external banner files no longer unloads previously loaded DAT files and vice verca
- Added a 'Save Banner As' File option since banners are now handled separately from DATs
- The 'dumpPNGs' setting now works with all decoding pipelines (all texture/export types)
- Drastically improved speed of folder-opening functions; e.g. 'Open Last Used Directory'
- Moved the 'Adjust Texture Filters' menu selection to the top of its menu
- "Auto-Update Headers" option now applies to palette data types as well as image data types
- Root/Reference Node & RT info moved from the DAT Texture Tree tab to the Structural Analysis tab
- Fixed Dolphin file name hash generation for certain kinds of type 8, 9, and 10 (paletted) textures
- 'Copy Dolphin Hash to Clipboard' now works even if 'Export using Dolphin Naming Convention' is off
- Features to 'copy offsets to clipboard' now return all offsets when selecting multiple items
- Added another disc shortcut link, "System" (loads last disc, and goes to the System files folder)
- Palette generation upgraded (speed/performance improved); pngquant updated from v2.5.2 to v2.12.0
- Disc File Tree context menu item "View Hex" keyboard/menu shortcut changed from V to H
- Disc File Tree context menu options are now context-sensitive to the currently selected item(s)
- Added a basic renderer/viewer for collision data (Right-click on coll_data -> Render)
- Renamed the DAT Texture Tree's "Display" tab to "Image"
- When using the 'Run in Emulator' feature, Dolphin will now shut down when you close the game
- Fixed the 'Support DTW' window (forgot to include its background image with the last compiled build >.<)
- Heavy refactoring (please let me know if you find any bugs!)​

I talked a little bit about some of these updates in a few of the above posts. I wish I could have released this sooner to be of more help reverse engineering various files. But luckily, we've had HSDraw thanks to Furil Furil . Speaking of which, the difference in how HSDraw and DTW present structures is that HSDraw reveals them in a bit more of an abstract way; DTW shows every single file structure, detailing location/size/kind/associations/etc., while HSDraw ignores some aspects as it breaks them down to show them more as the object(s) they are meant to represent. In DTW, pointers are also shown as the hex/value that you would see in the file. Might seem a little redundant in terms of R&D to build my own tool for this, but this was also invaluable to me to help better understand the files, and I think I'll be getting good use out of the code framework in the future as well.

This version also brings a few new conveniences to help work on costumes:
1593212396507.png

Is this something like what you had in mind, xPyroPunkx xPyroPunkx ?

Some properties of the texture are also more easily editable in the Properties tab:
1593212617781.png

As the note says, editing these properties will update the associated structures for all instances of this texture in the file, making it much easier to quickly make changes.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
For anyone who comes across the following error:

1594817238451.png

This is due to a bug in somewhat recent versions of GIMP when saving a built-in color profile along with other exif data. It seems the bug has existed since at least GIMP version 2.10.4 (likely earlier). (If anyone might be willing to go after the problem in GIMP: as far as I can tell, the root of the problem was in GIMP -> gexiv2 -> exiv2 -> digiKam. It seems to have been fixed in exiv2/digiKam, but I think gexiv2 hasn't upgraded to the latest exiv2.)

I may try having DTW repair the file prior to import at some point. But for now the easiest solution is to export your image from GIMP again (you can even re-open a bad image that was already created), but make sure "Save color profile" is NOT checked (which it is by default), as shown here:

Don't use Save color profile.png

None of these options are actually necessary to be checked, and I usually uncheck most of them.

Smash Rookie
Idk why this isn't getting answered in most places i've seen the exact same question asked (maybe people eventually figure out a silly reason why and forget to follow up), but I keep getting the error message that it can't save or import as it thinks it's being used by another program but i have nothing else open at all... what's the issue?

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Idk why this isn't getting answered in most places i've seen the exact same question asked (maybe people eventually figure out a silly reason why and forget to follow up), but I keep getting the error message that it can't save or import as it thinks it's being used by another program but i have nothing else open at all... what's the issue?
^ someone please help this man
Are you both having this problem? I don't think I've seen problems with that. Make sure that the drive you're saving to isn't full, that there isn't a file running in the background that may have locked the file (using Task Manager), and that DTW has write permissions to the drive or folder that you're trying to save to. For example, if you're using Windows 10's "Protected folders" feature on the folder containing the file you're trying to edit, you should see a notification that asks if you want to allow the program to make changes in that location. Maybe try moving the file you're trying to edit to another drive.

If none of that helps, can you detail what steps cause this, exactly? Including what disc options are set in the settings menu.

CowMilkingMoth

Smash Rookie
Are you both having this problem? I don't think I've seen problems with that. Make sure that the drive you're saving to isn't full, that there isn't a file running in the background that may have locked the file (using Task Manager), and that DTW has write permissions to the drive or folder that you're trying to save to. For example, if you're using Windows 10's "Protected folders" feature on the folder containing the file you're trying to edit, you should see a notification that asks if you want to allow the program to make changes in that location. Maybe try moving the file you're trying to edit to another drive.

If none of that helps, can you detail what steps cause this, exactly? Including what disc options are set in the settings menu.

I've done all of the above, tried running DAT as admin and everything. What programs would restrict my ability to save? Dolphin isn't open and I can't think of anything else that may prohibit me from saving.

This is what the screen looks like: https://gyazo.com/acb06f6c250e2346d8bb100cd101fa1a

EDIT: I seem to have fixed the problem by right clicking on the folder that houses the melee ISO and the folder housing DAT and turning off read only.

Last edited:

Smash Rookie
I've done all of the above, tried running DAT as admin and everything. What programs would restrict my ability to save? Dolphin isn't open and I can't think of anything else that may prohibit me from saving.

This is what the screen looks like: https://gyazo.com/acb06f6c250e2346d8bb100cd101fa1a

EDIT: I seem to have fixed the problem by right clicking on the folder that houses the melee ISO and the folder housing DAT and turning off read only.
Lmao i found the fix, my friend told me and i felt REALLY stupid. You have to go into the properties of your ISO and uncheck "Read Only"

Titus_SSB

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
SKIM#174
Is it possible to view the textures on character models without importing them? Or a way to scroll through a folder of textures and view the tree? I just downloaded a big pack of costume designs and running each one through the Texture Tree individually is a bit tedious. I appreciate the work done for all this!

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
In DTW? If all of your texture files are in the same folder, you can use the Prev./Next File buttons to jump from one file to the next:
1597531912611.png

But that's about it. Since Modulous is down, the best way to browse costumes is probably just to go through the Dropbox Modulous Backup.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Update...

To v6.1:
- Now recognizes stage particle effect textures​
- Now able to import textures with corrupted color profiles (from GIMP's 'Save color profile' option)​
- Added a 'Save Disc As...' option​
- Multiple structures of the same kind (particularly, sibling structures) in SA tab now show counts​
- Added numbering to Structural Analysis property display of table/array structures​
- Added a requested feature to export all textures across multiple files/folders in the Disc File Tree​
- Improved sub-directory creation logic when exporting multiple files​
- Fixed texture decoding for types 0 & 8 which have odd widths (broken just recently in v6.0)​
- Fixed import for the memory card icon texture (broken just recently in v6.0)​
- Fixed disc file name rebuild version incrementation for rebuilt disc back-ups​
- Fixed the 'Now Scanning...' program status not going away if no textures were found in a file​
- Master/Crazy Hand no longer show the option to 'Generate CSP Trim Colors' (not supported in 20XX)​
- Made changing Wrap Mode on the Properties tab more user friendly (dropdowns instead of hex entry)​
- Small fix to 'Collapse Data Space' feature (could erroneously claim 'amount' was larger than struct)​
- Fixed a bug in updating single-byte hex/values in DAT files, such as a texture's 'Repeat Mode'​
Sorry for the delay. I've had all sorts of things getting in my way from working on this.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Alright, it has finally been done, all pretty 20K+ lines of source code are now up on GitHub!
Be kind, a lot of this program's code is ooolld, haha. :p

And there's also a small update for a few minor fixes to the program itself, bringing it to v6.1.1:

- Fixed a small bug that could prevent saving a disc when a rebuilt file already exists​
- Small speed-up to texture identification​
- "ReadMe.txt" file renamed to "Program Usage.txt"​
- Refactoring and code clean-up for GitHub repo creation​

EnzoGulity

Smash Rookie
So, I've been trying to use the program for a while now and it never worked. Except for once last week when it randomly worked. Since then I found out about the error log. So here's the latest one:
:: 2020-11-23 01:19:03.154000 ::
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1547, in call
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 12425, in <lambda>
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 1031, in promptToOpenFile
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 1157, in fileHandler
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 1092, in rememberFile
File "C:\Python27\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 753, in set
File "C:\Python27\lib\ConfigParser.py", line 397, in set
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xc1' in position 24: ordinal not in range(128)
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 13507, in <lambda>
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 12114, in dndHandler
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xc1' in position 24: ordinal not in range(128)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really want to get into making textures so any help would be appreciated

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
So, I've been trying to use the program for a while now and it never worked. Except for once last week when it randomly worked. Since then I found out about the error log. So here's the latest one:
:: 2020-11-23 01:19:03.154000 ::
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 12425, in <lambda>
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 1031, in promptToOpenFile
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 13507, in <lambda>
File "DAT Texture Wizard.py", line 12114, in dndHandler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really want to get into making textures so any help would be appreciated
I assume you're running this on Windows, and not with Wine or something?

Looks like there's a special character in a file or folder path that it can't encode. Try placing the program in a new directory, where there are no special characters; alphanumeric characters and many common characters like parenthesis and dashes should work (pretty much anything from the "ASCII Printable Characters" list here, excluding characters which aren't allowed in file Windows paths ( /, \, :, *, ?, " <, >, | ).

EnzoGulity

Smash Rookie
I assume you're running this on Windows, and not with Wine or something?

Looks like there's a special character in a file or folder path that it can't encode. Try placing the program in a new directory, where there are no special characters; alphanumeric characters and many common characters like parenthesis and dashes should work (pretty much anything from the "ASCII Printable Characters" list here, excluding characters which aren't allowed in file Windows paths ( /, \, :, *, ?, " <, >, | ).
Thanks a lot, the problem is that desktop in Brazilian Portuguese starts with an "Á", so I just moved everything (program, iso and images) into documents and it worked fine. Is there any chance that ever gets fixed in a patch?

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Thanks a lot, the problem is that desktop in Brazilian Portuguese starts with an "Á", so I just moved everything (program, iso and images) into documents and it worked fine. Is there any chance that ever gets fixed in a patch?
Yeah, I may be able to fix how the configParser module handles encoding. Or I could switch to a different method altogether for saving settings, but that would be a more extensive change. I'll definitely look into it though, and I'll note it in the change logs if I add a fix.

Goginha

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
GOGI#728
I am having a error message:

File

"C\Python27\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts startup py", line 14, in run

File

*C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts Console.p y, line 26, in run

File "DAT Texture Wizard.py, line 67, in <module> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: Error Log.txt

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
I am having a error message:

File

"C\Python27\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts startup py", line 14, in run

File

*C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts Console.p y, line 26, in run

File "DAT Texture Wizard.py, line 67, in <module> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: Error Log.txt
The program needs permission to write files. Things like "Controlled folder access" in Windows 10 can prevent such permission if it's enabled (you can search that string in the start bar to find/edit options for that and allow an exception). Also, if that was the case, you should've seen a notification from Windows, which provides a short-cut to where you can allow it.

MorKs

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone! :)

I was trying to find my info in there, but it seems outdated and couldn't find my answer.

Here we go :
I would like to use DAT Texture Wizard to remove ONLY A PART of a texture.

A good example would be this cool skin by spamitburns spamitburns :
1607645027544.png

As you notice, he disabled the polygon rendering for lower front of the dress, but it resulted in having an invisible section between Peach's legs and torso. What I would accomplish would be to re-enable the polygon rendering, but making sure that the only part of the texture (front lower dress) showing would be the top of it, A.K.A. covering the invisible part. It would result in a Peach skin where she doesn't have a lower dress (only shorts or pants) without having an invisible gap.

I tried looking online, but to no avail, I wasn't able to find tutorial somewhere I order to make this happen.
If it helps, I feel comfortable playing in the .dat files using HxD, but I'd prob need the help of someone to find the offset to modify.
Thank you in advance and have a good day!

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
It's come to my attention that some textures aren't showing up anymore in v6.1.1. For now, you can just use v6.1, and I'll have this fixed in the next update.

Hello everyone! :)

I was trying to find my info in there, but it seems outdated and couldn't find my answer.

Here we go :
I would like to use DAT Texture Wizard to remove ONLY A PART of a texture.

A good example would be this cool skin by spamitburns spamitburns :
View attachment 294928

As you notice, he disabled the polygon rendering for lower front of the dress, but it resulted in having an invisible section between Peach's legs and torso. What I would accomplish would be to re-enable the polygon rendering, but making sure that the only part of the texture (front lower dress) showing would be the top of it, A.K.A. covering the invisible part. It would result in a Peach skin where she doesn't have a lower dress (only shorts or pants) without having an invisible gap.

I tried looking online, but to no avail, I wasn't able to find tutorial somewhere I order to make this happen.
If it helps, I feel comfortable playing in the .dat files using HxD, but I'd prob need the help of someone to find the offset to modify.
Thank you in advance and have a good day!
There are a few different methods you might use to approach this. You could use the Advanced Costume Hacks guide to remove parts of the model. You should be able to remove only part of the lower front of the dress, rather than the whole section that spamitburns removed. Normally, that guide explains how to remove an entire model part, by changing the Display List Blocks (now called Display List Length) to 0000. This might be the method spamitburns spamitburns used to remove the lower front of her dress, but there are a few different methods, so I can't be sure. However, a lesser known fact (since I didn't really get into it in my guide) is that you can also change that number to some number between 0 and the original value, and only a part of the model part (i.e. some number of polygons) will be removed from the part. Part of the reason I didn't get into that in the guide is that this is inconsistent, and some values can cause crashes. So you'll just need to test your final values in Dolphin and on console.

Another method you could try, that would be more work if you're not familiar with it, would be to export the model using HSDraw as a .obj, edit it in something like Blender, and reimport it back in. I'm not real familiar with this process though, and will likely take a good amount of fiddling with to get things to come out right. For help with HSDraw, I would recommend joining The Melee Workshop Discord, if you're not already in there.

MorKs

Smash Apprentice
Hi DRGN DRGN , thank you for the answer! Sorry if I answered back super late. Will definitely try what you said and yes, I did join the Discord :)
I'll post here if I succeed to find a way to make it work

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Finally! The smallest update we've all been waiting for:

To v6.1.2:

- Fixed some textures not showing up in v6.1.1​
- Fixed an error that could occur when attempting to rebuild a previously rebuilt disc​
- Fixed a bug preventing some textures from fully populating their Properties tab​
- Flag Decoder windows now automatically update flag entry fields in Properties tab​

SmashNES14

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
SLST#716
Is there any way to disable texture filtering through the render or texture flags or something? (I'm aware you can disable it entirely with Dolphin, but I only want it for a few textures) I've got some single pixel lines that turn practically invisible with it on that I would love to just be pixel perfect.

Jokiz92

Smash Rookie
So I'm trying to replace the image used in the middle of Pokemon Stadium, but the image loses color when I add it through Dat Texture Wizard.
The image is the correct size, but does it need a certain color depth or something as well?

Edit: Figured it out!

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Is there any way to disable texture filtering through the render or texture flags or something? (I'm aware you can disable it entirely with Dolphin, but I only want it for a few textures) I've got some single pixel lines that turn practically invisible with it on that I would love to just be pixel perfect.
Texture filtering? Like for scaling, LOD (Level of Detail), or antialiasing? Or do you mean some kind of blending operation? Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do or what you mean by that.

SmashNES14

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
SLST#716
Texture filtering? Like for scaling, LOD (Level of Detail), or antialiasing? Or do you mean some kind of blending operation? Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do or what you mean by that.
Yeah, there's a sort of AA blurring effect done to seemingly every texture in the game (both RGB and alpha), which tends to murder 1px edges:
I've no idea if such an effect is even possible, but I thought I had maybe just missed some previously documented alphamap_ parameter somewhere and just couldn't find it

Top Bottom