• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dashing with Marth

Pyroxz0rz

Smash Rookie
I've seen many Marth videos and I've noticed that when approaching with Marth, people hardly dash with him and only walk. Why is that?

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
There’s a little more to it than just that. Often, all it takes for Marth to create a certain mindset on his opponent is a couple of tipped f-tilts and grabs. This creates an impression that Marth cannot be approached due to his range. The opponent knows that when Marth is walking towards him, he has at his disposal these same moves that make him seem invincible. If he were running, it would be a different story. But as long as he is walking while able to use his whole ground game, it puts pressure on his opponent by making them think, “He’s coming towards me, but what can I do?” In short, it can be a fear tactic.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
That is, in all cases except a SHLing falco.
Which is annoying as hell.

Also, the dash can be heavily punished if you miss or they shield it. I find dash and a crouch-cancel with nothing to follow allows me to play with their head. After a few I sometimes toss in a fmash to complete their misery :p

Also, dash, wavedash backwards to a fmash is more effective in most cases.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Most people prefer to walk because walking gives you access to every thing in Marth's arsenal. Dashing has limited options and even if you wavedash or CC to open more options, that takes time allowing your opponent to make their move.

uremog

Smash Ace
There’s a little more to it than just that. Often, all it takes for Marth to create a certain mindset on his opponent is a couple of tipped f-tilts and grabs. This creates an impression that Marth cannot be approached due to his range. The opponent knows that when Marth is walking towards him, he has at his disposal these same moves that make him seem invincible. If he were running, it would be a different story. But as long as he is walking while able to use his whole ground game, it puts pressure on his opponent by making them think, “He’s coming towards me, but what can I do?” In short, it can be a fear tactic.
i like this answer! a lot of people underesimate the ftilt in lieu of the fsmash, but it's really very good. with the exception of space animals and projectile ho's marth can really just walk up to people. i prefer dash dancing, but who cares? as long as you're not doing it out of laziness, it's a good way to analyse your opponent, especially in friendlies.

don't dis dashing though! you can still grab, jump and WD.

iankobe

Smash Lord
More to that, it also allows you to have more options. When you are dashing, you are only limited to either Dash attack, or grab. Your spacing is also worse than walking. While walking you can either Fsmash, Utitlt, Dtilt, grab, WD, counter, or even Charged B attack. Dashing leaves you open at times and its not as wise as walking. That's what WD is for. (to me, I WD instead of Dashing)

Spacing is the key.

Great reply btw.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
More to that, it also allows you to have more options. When you are dashing, you are only limited to either Dash attack, or grab. Your spacing is also worse than walking. While walking you can either Fsmash, Utitlt, Dtilt, grab, WD, counter, or even Charged B attack. Dashing leaves you open at times and its not as wise as walking. That's what WD is for. (to me, I WD instead of Dashing)

Spacing is the key.

Great reply btw.
Actually, I often find that when you're approaching, WDing is not as good of a choice as walking because the WD is more of a set movement that your opponent can predict. Also, it's harder to control, so it's not always as safe either. One thing I have noticed the WD being useful for in approach is when you first WD towards your opponent, then immediately start walking afterwards. This can put even more pressure on them because it causes you to start walking quickly, rather than starting out the walk slowly. It's simply more sudden of an approach (and I imagine it would work well against a blaster spamming Fox). Of course, I'm not trying to say your WDing isn't effective. I don't even know how you use the WD.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Actually, I often find that when you're approaching, WDing is not as good of a choice as walking because the WD is more of a set movement that your opponent can predict. Also, it's harder to control, so it's not always as safe either. One thing I have noticed the WD being useful for in approach is when you first WD towards your opponent, then immediately start walking afterwards. This can put even more pressure on them because it causes you to start walking quickly, rather than starting out the walk slowly. It's simply more sudden of an approach (and I imagine it would work well against a blaster spamming Fox). Of course, I'm not trying to say your WDing isn't effective. I don't even know how you use the WD.
You are right. But it actually depends on the situation and the timing when using WD or walking. You are right about the WD>walking tactic and I use that as well. At some cases, this tactic works more effectively on some certain characters like ICs, Marth, etc.

Good point there.

flaco

The Terminator
When I star my battles in tornies I first study is style of play then punish them for it but anyway I use the dash dance alot I use it as a sort of mindgames.

Top Bottom