• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dashing Shield Cancel *Potentially very important*

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see more application with this before we come to a conclusion.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
What I meant was that I feel that stopping the shielding takes too much lag, and trying to attack out of it makes me roll or dodge instead of executing the attack. am I doing something wrong, or is shield turn off lag character specific?
In melee, shield release lag was character specific, but it only varied by a few frames.

Most characters had 15 frames of lag when releasing a shield, and I think the slowest was/is 17 or 18 frames.

I think it's the same in Brawl probably only varying by a few frames, too little to make a difference.

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
you can interupt brawl sheild recovery with attacks now.

this **** is solid.

its takes timing, but this was seeming very very useful. traction plays less of an issue though because your entertia dies off while sheilding. (ie; luigi's slide while shielding is pretty small)

its even useful with slower characters because the main variable involved is runspeed, sonic goes far as hell, while say, gannon dosent go as far. but every one seems to slide at least a little in sheild. i dont know how you having forward enertia while sheilding will effect pushback on block (ill test later).

how i was doing it while trying for as strict of timing as possible.
Hold F till your in run, Guard, release both, attack or repeat.

thumbs up to thread.

ssjkiego

Smash Rookie
ughhh great. another tactic to worry about.
smash is getting really intresting

Hyperjin7

Smash Rookie
you can interupt brawl sheild recovery with attacks now.

this **** is solid.

its takes timing, but this was seeming very very useful. traction plays less of an issue though because your entertia dies off while sheilding. (ie; luigi's slide while shielding is pretty small)

its even useful with slower characters because the main variable involved is runspeed, sonic goes far as hell, while say, gannon dosent go as far. but every one seems to slide at least a little in sheild. i dont know how you having forward enertia while sheilding will effect pushback on block (ill test later).

how i was doing it while trying for as strict of timing as possible.
Hold F till your in run, Guard, release both, attack or repeat.

thumbs up to thread.
From what I see here, Sonic may have a better way to get smashes consistently than normal with this technique, since their range is so small. Since he runs so quickly across the stage, his slide range is ridiculous, thus making him even more of a problem. I can't wait.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
Hey thanks for the credit :) To clear some stuff up, Samus benefits from this the most that I've seen since she can shield so early in her dash animation. I haven't tested it with everyone but I can say that Captain Falcon's is particularly bad since there is such a long time before he can shield.

Also, you do not need to turn off tap up to jump. In the video I still have mine enabled and I'm able to utilt after letting go of my shield.

I.T.P - I don't think shield lag is character dependent, I could be wrong though I spend most of my time playing Samus. I think it's just a timing thing, at this point I have no issue doing attacks after dropping shield.
Huh, well it's much easier with it off.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
I can't say I've tried it, but in theory Sonic's should be really bad. I would think that his initial dashing animation would be long and far so I don't think that Sonic would benifit TOO much from this. But yes, this is a good way for him to get surprise kills.

JoseOle92

Smash Apprentice
this does have a lot of potential, its almost like a replacement to a wavedash. almost i said, keep that in mind.

OMG! ITS A GLITCH!!

EDIT: since you can't do it until after the initial dance animation i was just wondering who has short and who has long initial dash animations. marth had a really long one in melee, but i'm not sure if he has a long one this time around.

Top Bottom