• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Boost?

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
So I was playing today, and I accidentally did something that was really weird. I was dashing towards someone and I accidentally hit A at some point, but instead of doing a dash attack, I flew forward really fast. There may have been other inputs, but I'm not sure what I did because I wasn't really focusing. Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

Construct

Smash Journeyman
That sounds like a boost grab. Typically used by fox players, it's where you cancel a dash attack by grabbing to get the movement bonus of the dash attack while grabbing instead of attacking. Not sure what else that would be.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
That sounds like a boost grab. Typically used by fox players, it's where you cancel a dash attack by grabbing to get the movement bonus of the dash attack while grabbing instead of attacking. Not sure what else that would be.
How do you do a boost grab?

Bones0

Smash Legend
How do you do a boost grab?
Do a JC grab, but replace the jump with a dash attack. You can do different lengths by altering the time between the dash attack and the grab. If you wait as long as possible after starting the dash attack, your grab will boost further than if you dash attack and press grab immediately after.

Also, I don't think it was a boost grab. Falcon's is horrible; not sure if he even gains any speed from his dash attack. I think at the most it only maintains his current run speed, and probably slows him down a bit. If you flew forward fast, it's unlikely you boost grabbed. If you for sure hit A, then the only other thing it could be is a grab. Maybe you just did a really late JC grab?

Mahie

Smash Lord
Sounds like either a boost grab, albeit Falcon's is pretty short, or that weird thing that happens sometimes when two attacks clank, either player goes through the other one really fast.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Falcon's boost grab is terrible though. Also I didn't grab.

I had considered that maybe it was a clank vacuum, but there was no sound and no lag period. This is going to haunt me for the rest of my Melee career

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I was just going to post that you probably encountered the "clank slide" or whatever it's supposed to be called. But then you just refuted that, hmmm. Maybe an unusually exaggerated version of it caused by some weird hitbox?

Top Bottom