• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Dallas/Ft. Worth) I'm thinking of starting a Bi-Weekly Tournament.

Brocsta876

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brocsta876
3DS FC
0920-0128-5020
I live in Frisco, which is about 25~ minutes from Dallas and other surrounding areas. I've been to 3 tournaments so far, and a few 'smashfests' and was slightly disappointed at the lack of organization and room. I am now interested in starting my own tournament. Some of the local players *might* recognize my name, like Ice, Infi~, Shuz, Akai, etc. but that's about it, I suck. heh.

Anyways, as far as the tournament goes, I'm thinking of this:

- $10 entrance fee
- $2 cover charge for food (I will have plenty of Pizza, Soda, Chips, etc.)

The tourney would be 1 v. 1, usual rules. There would be a loser's bracket, as well.

Prizes would go like this (assuming 30 players enter, so $300):

1st Place - 50% ($150)
2nd Place - 20% ($60)
3rd Place - 10% ($30)

I have a pretty big house, and everything would be organized very neatly. I would have a entirely separate room for the Tournament matches (4 TVs on a pool table with cover, 1 at each end, with 2 chairs). I would also have a room set aside for Friendlies, and I have another room with a 360 and PS3 hooked up to a 114-inch Projection screen for watching movies/playing games. There would be plenty of food, game systems, etc. I also have a pool for anybody who wants to swim.

I'm not sure what day would be the best to hold this yet, I'm still figuring it out.

Anyways, if you're interested, just post in this topic. Any and all opinions/suggestions are welcome.

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
I'm kinda interested on where 30% of the pot would go since you'll already have a cover charge.

EDIT: Not every place does. Recently in DFW it has all gone to the winners. No worries just getting the scoop. I understand the pain of hosting. It is just always best if the participants know where their money is going.

Brocsta876

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brocsta876
3DS FC
0920-0128-5020
It's actually supposed to be 80% to the winners, sorry. I'd get the other 20% to distribute to the organizers for taking time to help out and set up. I just can't do this for free every other week, it takes a little time to set up and get things ready, plus taking care of 30~ people, making sure there are no issues and keeping my house clean.

Besides, doesn't every tournament set aside a certain % for the organizer?

And that covercharge will ALL go towards food, I will spend $60. Nothing comes back to me.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Put the location in your thread title. Also, don't make it sound so tentative: you're either doing it or you're not! Nobody's going to want to come to a tournament that might not happen.

Brocsta876

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brocsta876
3DS FC
0920-0128-5020
Yeah, I realized that I forgot to put the location in the title.. Is there any way to edit it?

Also, I'm not trying to sound tentative, just giving people an idea of what to expect so I can gauge how many people would be interested and would come.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd also recommend they don't conflict with these bi-weeklies, otherwise you'll be splitting participants:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175785

And you can change the title of the thread when you edit your post, if you still can't figure it out send me a private message telling me what you want the title changed to and I'll change it.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I also have a pool for anybody who wants to swim..
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? We're going to need some inflatable rafts and several waterproof extension cords. Fast.

This actually sounds really cool. It makes me wish I liked Brawl.

I don't suppose you'd be up for Melee tournaments as well?

Brocsta876 said:
Besides, doesn't every tournament set aside a certain % for the organizer?
No. This only happens a business is having the tournament. It's usually worth it for the players because those tournaments are well-organized and large. For someone from the smash community to host a tournament in his own house and take money from the pot is...not ethical.

I'd recommend you lower the entry fee to $5 and leave the pot alone. Melee1, Bwett, Fire, and I all hold regular smash events without ever taking any profit, and that's the way it should be done.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
I'm down with your tournament besides two glaring aspects. Both in which Bluezaft covered in his recent post in this thread. The entry fee $5 (due to size of tournament) and the % to take out of pot is indeed unethical if hosted at a house setting.

I understand that there can be problems, for you, from certain people to host a gathering such as this tourny. However, it is also your responsibility as a host to not allow these types of people if you have knowledge of them. Assuming that a % of the pot will cover the charges for predetermined incidents deserves a kitn.

CR1F3N

Smash Rookie
i am up for another bi weekly tourney just get up a date and time and ill be there.

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
Yeah i recongize u broc this is Ice aka best snake in dallas. Yeah i can see u charging 2 bucks for food be there alot of chips pizza drinks etc. But ten entrance fee? Thats alittle much it should be cut to 5 or 7 and the pot for first should be 60 - 70% not 50% ppl host these things all the time idk depending on how well it goes should determine ur pot size.

Naiman

Smash Rookie
Dude, i'm soooo down for this, the prize money is calling my name!

check my topic about my bi-weekly and schedule it around mine, i suggest maybe friday or something.

~Fogo

felix45

Smash Lord
I'd be fine with it except I dont want to pay a $2 cover charge for food or whatever. if you are taking money from the pot you can put it towards food. if you made pot split 60/30/10 or 70/20/10 from the $10 I'd be down, but otherwise thats uncool.

Bwett

Smash Ace
$12 for tournament is entirely too much for me. I can't do it. $5 +2$ cover is fine, but still unless I'm getting pizza or something else awesome...I'm sorry, I agree with felix, totally uncool.

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
agreed! think about it?
espiecally if u got a pool and u will give us access too it **** sounds like this thing will be awesome hopefully billy will go and i can catch a ride with him since frisco is soo **** far its like a Zelda journy trying to get there

Imp

Smash Apprentice
Try living about 50 mins south from where most tournaments are held and not being able to drive, sucks :ohwell:

Bwett

Smash Ace
espiecally if u got a pool and u will give us access too it **** sounds like this thing will be awesome hopefully billy will go and i can catch a ride with him since frisco is soo **** far its like a Zelda journy trying to get there
Well, like Shuz, peer pressure may get to me....and a pool would be nice...I mean, talking about Mango, chain grabbing, and dragonball z is always a plus Fogo lol. And Mario, if by ride, you mean come over here and ride with me, then that's cool, but if you want me to come pick you up, screw that. That means I have to make 4 journeys...I'll have gotten master sword by then, and then who cares about smash...I have the freakin' master sword! lol

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
Well, like Shuz, peer pressure may get to me....and a pool would be nice...I mean, talking about Mango, chain grabbing, and dragonball z is always a plus Fogo lol. And Mario, if by ride, you mean come over here and ride with me, then that's cool, but if you want me to come pick you up, screw that. That means I have to make 4 journeys...I'll have gotten master sword by then, and then who cares about smash...I have the freakin' master sword! lol
Man of course i mean driving to ur house then riding from there duh! But yeah man a pool and big screens with smash on them? Awesome!

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I live in Frisco, which is about 25~ minutes from Dallas and other surrounding areas. I've been to 3 tournaments so far, and a few 'smashfests' and was slightly disappointed at the lack of organization and room. I am now interested in starting my own tournament. Some of the local players *might* recognize my name, like Ice, Infi~, Shuz, Akai, etc. but that's about it, I suck. heh.

Anyways, as far as the tournament goes, I'm thinking of this:

- $10 entrance fee
- $2 cover charge for food (I will have plenty of Pizza, Soda, Chips, etc.)

The tourney would be 1 v. 1, usual rules. There would be a loser's bracket, as well.

Prizes would go like this (assuming 30 players enter, so $300):

1st Place - 50% ($150)
2nd Place - 20% ($60)
3rd Place - 10% ($30)

I have a pretty big house, and everything would be organized very neatly. I would have a entirely separate room for the Tournament matches (4 TVs on a pool table with cover, 1 at each end, with 2 chairs). I would also have a room set aside for Friendlies, and I have another room with a 360 and PS3 hooked up to a 114-inch Projection screen for watching movies/playing games. There would be plenty of food, game systems, etc. I also have a pool for anybody who wants to swim.

I'm not sure what day would be the best to hold this yet, I'm still figuring it out.

Anyways, if you're interested, just post in this topic. Any and all opinions/suggestions are welcome.
Please do! I've been waiting for a tournament go to in Texas. I live in Mansfield/Ft.worth/Arlington. Having this tournament would be really convenient for me. I would just need directions to drive to this location.

Top Bottom