• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dair uses?

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
ok, so i was having some fun against sandbag, and i realized that dair hits pretty well horizontally when used at the ledge. then i thought "maybe it can be used on an opponent trying to recover"... unfortunately, that probably wouldn't work out so well... then i though.

so i thought: MAYBE just MAYBE if you caught the opponent with a dsmash while they try to recover, you could SHdair for the kill. i haven't been able to test it, however, to see if it works.

does this work, or is this just more fail? :p

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
i rarely use the dair, if it all sometimes i use it in situations when an enemy just rolls around like crazy. the second hit on the ground can be good for clearing things up. for the recovering part with the dsmash i would rather go for a bair and let them bump of the stage to death, i dunno if dair works but bair is more reliable and safer

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
If I have a stock lead on my opponent and hit them with my downsmash when they're recovering, I'll go ahead and use my dair; I end up KOing myself, but it takes them with me.

game over. ZSS wins.

Also, there could be WAAAAY better options, considering I just picked up ZSS two days ago. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've considered several uses for dair. They're interesting, but mostly they'd just be flashy and unnecessary.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
It's only really useful for mindgames and spiking people who try to recover through the stage on stages where that's possible (Halbred, Delfino, Frigate, etc.). A dsmash can be used to set this up: stun them as their head just begins to poke through the stage, then SH dair on them.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
I did what you described today TC.

earlier today playing my friend's falco on Battlefield, I hit him with a Dsmash as he was recovering near the ledge.

During the hitstun I rolled towards the edge (i was now on the very edge of the stage, but my back was now facing the edge), and did a SHDair. I hit falco and it spiked him while i simply landed on the stage.

Iwan

Smash Ace
That^ ^ ^

I saw that same thing just now in 7th's intro vid. Looks useful, safe, any draw backs to using this as opposed to bairing them off the ledge after a Down Smash?

Adapt

Smash Lord
it would prolly be safer to do a down-B spike from the d-smash. At least you can recover if you screw up...

down-B is a stronger spike too

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
it would prolly be safer to do a down-B spike from the d-smash. At least you can recover if you screw up...

down-B is a stronger spike too
i was talking about what this guy said

("During the hitstun I rolled towards the edge (i was now on the very edge of the stage, but my back was now facing the edge), and did a SHDair. I hit falco and it spiked him while i simply landed on the stage.")

also, if you SH then IMMEDIATELY dair, you hardly go forward. standing very close to the ledge, too... i would get TOO close, though >_>

but yeah, the roll thing works perfectly, because you're facing the other direction... i just wasn't sure if the hitbox would reach.

glad to see it can.

i don't know if it's useful at all, but it's there

Adapt

Smash Lord
i was talking about what this guy said

("During the hitstun I rolled towards the edge (i was now on the very edge of the stage, but my back was now facing the edge), and did a SHDair. I hit falco and it spiked him while i simply landed on the stage.")
so was I

if you screw up, you can SD yourself. Of course the plan is not to screw up, but sh*t happens

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
so was I

if you screw up, you can SD yourself. Of course the plan is not to screw up, but sh*t happens
if you roll towards the ledge, you can't fall off (assuming it's a stable/stationary ledge). since the dair aims slightly forwards, zamus will go towards the middle of the stage.

i GUESS if you have a sudden SPASM in your hand and you jumped to the right of the ledge rather than straight up, you could die... but that could happen any time :p

FBM

Smash Apprentice
If you are facing towards the stage, you can jump backwards slightly and use the angle of the dair to make sure you land it.

Thing is, it's not all that strong and the opponent has to be approaching the stage from above. You could try it out of a shorthop, but that means you're landing it on an opponent not very far from the stage who doesn't have ledge invinciblity frames, in which case, dsmash is so much better.

All in all, highly situational and even then, not all that great.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I have done a "Zamuscide", but I do it very rarely because it is pretty risky (you could miss). I mostly only want to gamble it against the likes of DDD, and other large characters.

Otherwise, I use dair probably more then I should because it isn't great, but I like it for mind games type stuff. Also, once I start doing other aerials and mixing it up more they don't expect it.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
If you are facing towards the stage, you can jump backwards slightly and use the angle of the dair to make sure you land it.

Thing is, it's not all that strong and the opponent has to be approaching the stage from above. You could try it out of a shorthop, but that means you're landing it on an opponent not very far from the stage who doesn't have ledge invinciblity frames, in which case, dsmash is so much better.

All in all, highly situational and even then, not all that great.
The thing is, they don't have to be approaching from underneath the stage...how often do you use your Dsmash to edge guard? If you connect with a Dsmash while they're trying to recover (from any direction or angle), they're held in place for you.

As in...you can just dair them. The down B spike is better at lower percents I think, but this still seems useful.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, they don't have to be approaching from underneath the stage...how often do you use your Dsmash to edge guard? If you connect with a Dsmash while they're trying to recover (from any direction or angle), they're held in place for you.

As in...you can just dair them. The down B spike is better at lower percents I think, but this still seems useful.
Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I was trying to explain how to exploit the trajectory of the d-air so that you can spike someone below you and still land on the stage. They can be at any height really, so long as you line it all up. Kinda like this ugly diagram (the //'s are the trajectory - ignore the dots: they are placeholders):

.....................................(ZSS) (d-air facing the stage)
......................................//
.....................................//
.................................(Opponent)
....................................//
...................................//
..................................//
..................................V
==================
======LEDGE========
==================

I see your point about using it in conjunction with the dsmash. It's theoretically useful, but they have to be at a decent % for it to kill them (unless they have horrible recovery), in which case, they are ripe for a down-B spike, which is easy enough to time out of a d-smash, so long as they are in the right position. And if they are over like 80-90% (or 70% if they are a light character), a second dsmash -> b-air will kill them anyway if they are at the edge of the stage.

I'll give it some practice with the d-air though, as learning never hurts.

i.E.

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I was trying to explain how to exploit the trajectory of the d-air so that you can spike someone below you and still land on the stage. They can be at any height really, so long as you line it all up. Kinda like this ugly diagram (the //'s are the trajectory - ignore the dots: they are placeholders):

.....................................(ZSS) (d-air facing the stage)
......................................//
.....................................//
.................................(Opponent)
....................................//
...................................//
..................................//
..................................V
==================
======LEDGE========
==================

I see your point about using it in conjunction with the dsmash. It's theoretically useful, but they have to be at a decent % for it to kill them (unless they have horrible recovery), in which case, they are ripe for a down-B spike, which is easy enough to time out of a d-smash, so long as they are in the right position. And if they are over like 80-90% (or 70% if they are a light character), a second dsmash -> b-air will kill them anyway if they are at the edge of the stage.

I'll give it some practice with the d-air though, as learning never hurts.
Ahh, ok...well now i understand what you're trying to say better. Let me clarify though, they don't have to be in that trajectory; your opponent can be behind you and you'll still hit (and spike) your opponent. I wish there was a video that showed it...didn't someone say 7thFonon had a video showing it?

either way, down b IS more useful. lol.

Top Bottom