• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair glitch

Saunic

Smash Rookie
This is a glitch that makes Dair not fast falling, and even freezing it.

Actually, I'm not really sure about how to freeze it, seems like a kind of timing post-double jump, and quickly press Dair. It works well when the opponent throws you in the air (although my brother did it once just by double jumping from the ground). BTW, it seems like you float in the direction of your jump, quite funny effect.

If you want the Dair not to fastfall, as far as I can tell, if any attack/smash/grab throws you up in the air, you have to press Dair while you are still flying up in the air.

Here a Youtube link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnRmDoJm0VI

The Burrito of Time

Smash Journeyman
Woah... That's awesome. I don't know if it's a glitch though. I can see it working on people who pursue you after knocking you up and making them run into your sword.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, this could become a very useful recovery technique, but it does not matter to me because I won't be playing as Toon Link.

Saunic

Smash Rookie
This "glitch" also works with G&W, ZSS, Sonic, Sheik and the ICs.

As for the freeze/float, it is noticeable particularly with ZSS and Sonic, it especially works when damage is high : as I said, I think it has a link with the fact that you are flying in the upper direction, although, I'm pretty sure my brother managed to get it out just by double-jumping straightly.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
This would be really awesome if you figure out how to make it happen at will. One of the things I think we're going to have to do in Brawl is figure out how all these seemingly random effects happen so we can control them. I can see some interesting ideas coming out of this for sure.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Woah... That's awesome. I don't know if it's a glitch though.
Yeah, I'm sure Toon Link is supposed to be able to suspend himself in mid air and float like that.

It's a glitch. I don't really mind if it gets used, but you can't say it isn't a glitch or even hint that it isn't one.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
This would be really awesome if you figure out how to make it happen at will. One of the things I think we're going to have to do in Brawl is figure out how all these seemingly random effects happen so we can control them. I can see some interesting ideas coming out of this for sure.
Like Saunic said it has something to do with being thrown upward/being hit upwards. When a character throws/knocks you into the air if you try to down A directly after your down A will move at a much slower rate. This slowed speed can very though, I have seen it go from slowed, all the way to pretty much stalling mid air. I know the effect is caused by being tossed into the air, I just don't exactly know what the conditions are for different speeds at which it slows. Possibly each move in Brawl has its own "force" which makes you move slower when acting directly after being tossed up.

Yeah, I'm sure Toon Link is supposed to be able to suspend himself in mid air and float like that.

It's a glitch. I don't really mind if it gets used, but you can't say it isn't a glitch or even hint that it isn't one.
Its not a glitch, its a part of the game having to do with what I said above.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
It's just like me saying that finding a hole in a wall in a FPS which you can shoot out of but can't be shot through is a legitimate feature on a map because I'm closer to the wall and therefore my bullets have enough force to go through the wall, whereas anybody else must be further away and the wall can render their bullets useless because they'd have lost their kinetic energy from bullet travel.

If something like that is in the game and I can justify it, it doesn't make it a glitch, right?

If you can prove that it was intended to be in the game, I'll admit that it isn't a glitch. Until then, I'm going to remain skeptical. I can't imagine randomly floating around in mid-air when you're trying to do your dair someone with Toon Link being very helpful. For recovery, yes. But when you're trying to attack somebody who just threw you up? I think not.

And why would a character like Link, who is very much on the ground all of the time be able to float in mid air like that. If it was someone like Pit, MetaKnight, Jigglypuff, I'd be a bit more understanding.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Someone attacked you and you're soaring like a rocket to the top of the screen.
But you used an attack that makes you fall like a rocket to the bottom of the screen.

Soaring² + Falling² = Floating²

It's not a glitch, its physics.

Oh and they're calling it Moon Link, I like the name :)

Saunic

Smash Rookie
Played some games with my brother this afternoon, seems like exploitable when you want to recovery (I did that "floating glitch" quite oftenly without real purpose, and you don't especially need to have high percentage to do it).

Nevertheless, still risky since you'll get KOed if you miss the input.

Archaeopteryx

Smash Rookie
It's not physics because otherwise the floating period would be instantaneous (when the force of throw and gravity counter each other, and the overall acceleration is 0). This glitch's floating period lasts a few seconds, therefore it's not physics.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Seems like you have to wait after you use it. Also I believe the speed going up is slowed down by the speed going down, there for slowly haulting, though floating in the air for 3 seconds seems kind of strange.

Saunic

Smash Rookie
I quite agree with the idea "it should be instantaneous", since Toon Link and ZSS are the only one who are floating during some secondes, meanwhile, Sonic, Sheik, G&W or the IC's do not float, but just stop going up, stay still during a few frames (I'd say less than 15), then fall down.

Or else, Toon Link and ZSS's weight are weird.

Saunic

Smash Rookie
Absolutely not, the freeze empeches you from falling suddenly, not going upwards (and BTW, you need to double jump to do the freeze, so you are supposed to go even upper).

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap, you guys. I know some of you are desperate for new "advanced techniques", but jeez. To say "this isn't a glitch" is to say "Tienanmen Square had no violence".

JohnAnon

Smash Cadet
But you used an attack that makes you fall like a rocket to the bottom of the screen.

Oh and they're calling it Moon Link, I like the name :)
PHYSICS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I just gave it a shot myself...I don't necessarily think it's a bug, more of an oversight.

Change of momentum in Brawl is quite slow, so I can see how something like that happens.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice

That's not physics.

toon link 94

Smash Apprentice
very funny but very bad for me because toonlink will be one of my mains! all i can say is that they better fix the glitch before its in stores!

Niko90

Smash Cadet
Tbh, I think it should be fixed before the NA release...I can see it getting possibly annoying if you're getting ready to Dair someone to death and you suddenly start floating. My two cents.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...sorry guys I'm pretty sure that's an unintended physics glitch.

However, it's still useful for recovery, and kinda cool (and by cool, I mean funny). As far as the "glitch" debate goes, it's pretty much the same idea as wave dashing, just....in the air...with a sword.

GG T.Link.

garbage

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap, you guys. I know some of you are desperate for new "advanced techniques", but jeez. To say "this isn't a glitch" is to say "Tienanmen Square had no violence".
I think you are really cool because you incorporate what you believe to be exclusive knowledge into your posts to make others feel inferior.
<3

Qlink

Smash Apprentice
IS that dark Toon link in the beginning?

Anyway the glitch can sorta help you and not because if your floating your opponent has a chance to jump up and attack you again

Top Bottom