• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair Cancel

ttocs

Smash Rookie
I've seemed to cancel my Dair a few times before, but I don't know how.

I don't know if it's something you can voluntarily control, but I've never heard or read anything about Dair canceling and I was wondering if there really is a way to do it.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
The only way I know of to do this is to use the Dair while suffering upwards knockback. The dair will stall in the air rather than shooting downwards, but it will still have a long duration.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I think I know what ttocs is talking about. This has happened to me a few times when I first started playing the game. I did it with sonic first, I dair'd and as soon as I hit the ground, I was able to roll backwards. In fact it's happened to me multiple times with sonic and toon link. The other day I was just messing around with random with some friends and I swore to god I L-cancelled Link's Dair.

Every time I've tried to reproduce the effect, I've never been able to. I'm thinking it might have something to do with maybe how far your character is from the ground when they do the dair. Hell, for all we know, we did it so far up that by the time we reached the ground, the attack animation had already ended, but who knows. Other than that, it still remains a mystery.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I'm thinking it might have something to do with maybe how far your character is from the ground when they do the dair. Hell, for all we know, we did it so far up that by the time we reached the ground, the attack animation had already ended, but who knows.

I think that's it.

I've had the same thing happen to me with Link, Tink, Sheik and DK. If the animation ends right before you with the ground you shouldn't get any lag on the end.

Ryoko

Smash Rookie
I think that's it.

I've had the same thing happen to me with Link, Tink, Sheik and DK. If the animation ends right before you with the ground you shouldn't get any lag on the end.
Toon Link's Dair attack animation doesn't end until he hits the ground.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
I think I know what ttocs is talking about. This has happened to me a few times when I first started playing the game. I did it with sonic first, I dair'd and as soon as I hit the ground, I was able to roll backwards. In fact it's happened to me multiple times with sonic and toon link. The other day I was just messing around with random with some friends and I swore to god I L-cancelled Link's Dair.

Every time I've tried to reproduce the effect, I've never been able to. I'm thinking it might have something to do with maybe how far your character is from the ground when they do the dair. Hell, for all we know, we did it so far up that by the time we reached the ground, the attack animation had already ended, but who knows. Other than that, it still remains a mystery.
From high enough, you can cancel both Sonic's down air and link's down air. For sonic, try spring jumping, then automatically dair. You should suffer little to no landing lag. Link.. is harder, you can only cancel it if you're lucky.

demodemo

Smash Ace
so does that mean that dair has autocancel frames? IAJELGKDAGJK

i just use dair to edghog from imopssible heights

everytime i time it to the edge perfectly me and my friends are always like WHARBAGARAGABA

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
every move has auto cancel frames

auto cancel frames dont exist

its just a move happening to finish completely before you hit the ground

demodemo

Smash Ace
every move has auto cancel frames

auto cancel frames dont exist

its just a move happening to finish completely before you hit the ground
NAY I SAY NAY

read up the thread on autocancelling. you wouldn't be cancelling anything if the move just finishes.

And i don't even know if dair has autocancelling frames. it is very likely it doesn't and if it does it would have to be at a much lower height for usefulness

when i said autocancel i sort of meant a stupid, humorous way since even if it had autocancel frames it would not be that ALGKJSLKAH

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I know for a fact that T link's dair attack will stop after a certain distance whether or not he hits anyone or gets hit on the way down. If you want to test this just make a custom stage to suit your experiment. As for everyone else I can't say for sure.

Villi

Smash Lord
I used to think descending with a dair was just kinda flashy with no real usefulness to it, but it actually causes Sheik to fall faster than her fast fall even accounting for the stall if you start it from high enough in the air... which is marginally useful.

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
If I am not mistaken, Sheik's dair ends significantly sooner than Sonic, Zamus or TLink's. It was mentioned that TLink's dair will stop after a set distance/time. I think sonic works the same way because I have come out of a dair while playing as him though it was an extremely far fall. I know it is possible to spring jump as sonic out of his dair though. As for Zamus I really don't know because I don't play her.

ttocs

Smash Rookie
Haha well this was interesting to come back to and read.

I meant actually canceling the entire dair before it starts. I'm 99% sure I've done this a few times before, but I can't really remember any details.

Top Bottom