• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D3 vs Pika dsmash

Badjuju

Smash Apprentice
I play a campy thunder jolt spammer and as soon as i fly close enough to him, he pops off a thunder or dsmash. I can't sheild through the dmash because the hitbox catches my feet that aren't protected by my shield, can't dodge it because the dodge doesn't last long enough, and plus i can't roll out of it because it will catch me where my invincibility frames haven't started up yet. How do you get past an OP move like that?

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
campy pika?

wow

waddle him

ftilt him

run at him...wait for the thunder or d smash...wait till the move is over...grab him...repeat

just out camp him...use your projectiles and some of the longer ranged attacks

pika is a very difficult matchup for ddd

Ment

Smash Rookie
yeah, ftilt has a lot of range to deal with something like that, but the pikachu i usually fight uses thunder a lot, which I can dodge past, and dsmash, or something.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I had a friend do the same to me. It's annoying as ****, and it's a completely one-sided game because he never has to approach with his annoying *** projectile.

I complained about it, and he didn't stop.

So I decided to just be a campy mofo too. I spammed waddles and shielded his attacks. The few matches were just not fun at all, and he realized that the game is ABSOLUTELY NO FUN when all you do is press one button for the majority of the time. He started approaching more after that.

Badjuju

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Much.

Sounds like the same approach when fighting Pit. All i can do is dodge arrows and wait for him to approach me lol. Those fast characters just have too much going for 'em =P

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
Thought I'd give a few words of advice, as I've faced a few pika's in competitive tournaments.

Waddles block sparks and pit's arrows. If they spam, you spam. It'll probably look like a stalemate until a Gordo comes out of nowhere and spikes them in the face, it's a crowd winner, and gordos large knockback gives you a good opening.

Another tactic is to make use of D3's multiple jumps. Keep yourself just above the ground, our of spark range whilst you spam waddles. If he get pissed and runs at you, or you decide you wanna jump towards him, down smash isn't going to do much when you are in the air, and a thunder can be identified a mile off and DI'ed away from before it hits, leaving pika open.

Patience = Win.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Helpful hint if you're getting nailed by Pikachu's famous "high priority" down smash, you can smash DI up out of it..the move becomes nearly harmless if you smash out of it early.

Coney

Smash Master
I have a friend like this too.

My only solution is to never get that close. If you need to, do it and get the hell out. Ftilt if you need to, but keep your distance with the thunder mouse. Besides, you'll clobber him in the air. Once you're good enough at it, bait him into doing it and punish with something special.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet
Check out my YouTube channel and Dedede Diary for tips on how to fight Pikachu. Both links are in my sig. I play against a very campy Pikachu as well and have developed a few nice tricks to combat him.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
Helpful hint if you're getting nailed by Pikachu's famous "high priority" down smash, you can smash DI up out of it..the move becomes nearly harmless if you smash out of it early.
Yeah, you don't necessarily have to smash DI. After the first hit, press up on the control stick and it'll harmlessly toss you aside doing about 3% dmg. But if you do it too late, you'll take some more damage and throw you aside and they'll be finished with the attack, instead of being placed RIGHT NEXT to the pika. My team mate was a pikachu and whenever everyone was caught in his downsmash, I often found my self out of it instantly, and was able to grab one of our opponents while they were being flung around in it.

Pikachu is going to punish your rolls, and if you try to land with an air attack. Avoid rolling toward pika, or even when near it. Sidestep and downsmash are their favorite things to do. Instead of trying to shield through it, try the powershield and grab him. And yea, the waddle dee toss is one of their worst fears. Mainly because when he's shocking someone, the entire attack slows down, giving you enough time to charge up a f smash or, to be flashy, a jet hammer. Another thing you can do, as an approach, they'll see you running, and be prepared for an attack with a sidestep down smash. Dash attack :D. The delay of it is exactly = to that of pika's side step, and they won't get enough time to dsmash.

And grabbing will help keep it off the ground to avoid down smashes.

I play against a pikachu main, and a marth main, and I had that same problem @_@

Top Bottom