• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D-tilt vs. f-tilt: when is the right time to use one or the other?

Smash Rookie
Hey all!

Bowser Jr's d-tilt and f-tilt are both very similar - they're both quick, knock the opponent back a bit (useful for spacing a bit). But they do have their differences - f-tilt is quicker but doesn't have as much as a range, while d-tilt is easier to land (Even poking shields from time to time), but is more punishable especially if you don't land the final hit, and is more powerful.

When do you guys think I should use one or the other? Or is one or those things I should just know by reaction? Do you guys feel that one of the tilts is vastly superior to the other one and I should just use it?

UnchainTheRain

Smash Rookie
NNID
Unchain_the_Rain
3DS FC
4811-7021-2151
I find myself using the down tilt if I anticipate someone is going to try and roll into me since it stays out longer. I'll throw out a forward tilt as more of a quick punish if my opponent has some ending lag on a move. Between the two I tend to use the down tilt more frequently.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
That f-tilt hits wicked hard and wicked fast. I consider it the safer option in the tussle even if it doesn't hide your hurtbox. The tongue really needs that list hit to count.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I find D-tilt a great option to stop approaches! I believe it out prioritizes a number of moves. F-Tilt is a great "out of my face" option for Bowser Jr. also

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
I find D-tilt a great option to stop approaches! I believe it out prioritizes a number of moves. F-Tilt is a great "out of my face" option for Bowser Jr. also
After more testing, I am finding similar results. It also pokes at a better range, making it a cool mix-up! More BJR mindgames to play with. Tongue is definitely a lot better than I said before.

hiROI

Smash Lord
I like using D-Tilt more than F-Tilt. A friend of mine plays Ness and Dtilt stops the movement of PKFire and its good as a keep away move. If only F-tilt was a bigger fork!

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Oh god, I've wanted to mention this. It's so important.

D-Tilt edgeguarding is THE BOMB. :bomb:

The persistent hitbox combined with the longer reach can gimp many a revival. I just beat a Shulk in 6 seperate recoveries in a single match, each time pushing him a little further to the edge until KO. It's crazy, it's amazing. Skip the cannonball and go straight for your dtilt. You will be impressed.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Basically I never use the down tilt mostly because I frequently play the spacing game with B.J., and I'm not that good with him yet. I'm usually trying to get off the forward tilt because its either going to kill them at a high percent, or push them further away for more

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Ftilt has great range if nothing else, it has a deceptively large hitbox. I find it nice to break charging moves like Sonic's spindashes and Wario's bike.

zDuck

Smash Journeyman
D-tilt is faster and has less recovery time (less punishable on shield/if you miss). Unless you're going for a kill with f-tilt and you're absolutely sure it's going to hit you should always use d-tilt.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
I think they both have their uses, advantages, and disadvantages.

I think the D-tilt is preferable for defense and racking up damage early. When you don't know what the opponent is going to do it seems like a safe option. It has nice priority that allows you to use it in situations where you're expecting to clash with someone, like when they're using a dash attack on you. It also comes out quickly enough to punish, but unlike a jab combo it doesn't leave you hugely vulnerable if you miss with it. For that reason it's also good when you roll behind someone but you're not sure if you'll be able to catch them before they roll too. It hangs out there longer too, so if someone spot dodges the first lick or two they'll still get caught by the third. At low percents for damage, against a charging opponent, or as an edgeguarding technique, I would recommend the D-tilt.

The F-tilt is more offensive in my opinion. I believe it has slightly better range (and I mean slightly). Also it delivers all of it's damage in one move as opposed to the lick which can sometimes knock you clear of the second hit with the first hit, so in that way it could be argued that the F-tilt is even a better damage option. It can KO at high enough percents (I haven't paid attention to the exact percent, but it's 150+ type stuff so don't expect an 80% fork kill). Mostly I think it's good for getting some breathing room. The tongue doesn't put as much distance between you and your foe. It'll usually require a quick follow-up. The fork is a more definitive solution. It has some pretty solid horizontal knockback, good for getting people off the stage. When I know for sure where someone is about to roll to I prefer the F-tilt to the D-tilt every time. When I need more space, I'm facing a predictable roller, or the tongue is failing to connect with all its hits, I would recommend the F-tilt.

That's just my playstyle though. I assume your mileage may vary.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Dtilt has good range like ftilt, but only on the last hit. And it can whiff (di up and away) depending on how far you are when you start, so the 'range' isn't necessarily much better in use. However, it hits shields well and pushes foes back nicely, and lasts long enough to block projectiles and many approaches (sonic!). Ftilt requires more precision/timing and has different uses. Ftilt gets people off of you very well, and that's the main use (it can KO too which is nice).

Last edited:
Top Bottom