• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

d-air useful?

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I like short hopping and d-airing, especially against larger targets like King Dedede. Also, a lot of times I can pull a n-air right after a d-air so it makes a good comboing move, IMO.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
It does massive damage for a single move, so it's obvious what it's used for. You rack up damage.
Short Hoping is the easiest way to work this into you're playing, but you can also do things like coming through the bottom of Delphino with it, a rising Dair. One that works on most stages is to use your second jump + Dair as you come over the ledge.

It's also pretty good at gimping some characters off the stage.

Just don't be predictable with it, and I'm sure you'll learn to love it.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Works excellently on larger characters out of a short hop, and it is a spike off the edge.

I generally don't find myself using it that much on the smaller chars.

bigman40

Smash Master
Adds 30 dmg when all hits connect. Plus, the move can gimp opponents. If you connect all hits, you can follow up with a N-air, B-air, or even a U-air.

D

Deleted member

Well for what its worth, its rediculously good in yoshi dittos. It breaks double jump at super low percents.

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
I find it problematic that I cannot use it on a grounded opponent because they can always attack me out of my landing lag. Does that mean I am doing it wrong?

In the air, dair is amazing, though. It's what I usually pull out against someone who tries to assault for the vertical KO in the air when I use Yoshi.

bigman40

Smash Master
I find it problematic that I cannot use it on a grounded opponent because they can always attack me out of my landing lag. Does that mean I am doing it wrong?

In the air, dair is amazing, though. It's what I usually pull out against someone who tries to assault for the vertical KO in the air when I use Yoshi.
You can't be close to the opponent when you land. On the ground, it's useful as a hit and run thing.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Dair is amazing if used with the appropriate spacing.

Like Bigman already said, don't land within shield-grabbing distance of the opponent-- keep your distance.

I like using it from a recovery or to mix it up with Bair when jumping from the ledge.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Idk because every time i land it with a short hop my lag gets me punished
Try running through their face and landing a little ways on the other side. They will see your little bit of landing lag, but if you spaced it just right I find that almost 100% of the time you can pivot-grab their attempted punish. It's almost like clockwork, really.

SH -> Dair -> Keep running in the same direction -> Pivot-Grab -> ??? -> Profit

Gindler

Smash Champion
My favorite time to use it is right after I kill someone I hang on the ledge and when they come for a "vengence kill". I'll let go drop a bit double jump up and dair them and finish with a Nair, this is a surprising way to get 40% on them right when they get back. A great Smexy (super mega sexy) "technique".

Oh, btw that might only work once per match and I'm sure you've all done this before when the opponent expects a rising Bair.

IceAge

Smash Cadet
Downair is a great attack in situations. When they are on the ledge, do a shorthopped [or normal jump] downair. If they attack, the attack will miss and once iinvince frames are gone, they will get hurt, if they jump, the will get hit by the attack immediantly. If they roll, they will dodge the attack, but have too much lag to counter-attack, allowing you to shield/roll/jump away.

A running Dair, as previously stated, is a good attack too.

Top Bottom