• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D-air Gimps

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Mii Swordfighter has two forms of edge guarding using their down b 2 or using d-air. In this thread i will try to list all the possible characters you can and can't gimp with d-air.

NOTE: conditionally gimp mean that you can gimp this character it just requires certain conditions when all their jumps are gone

CAN gimp::4bowser::4falcon::4diddy::4dk::4drmario::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4mario::4littlemac::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4peach:

CAN CONDITIONALLY gimp::4bowserjr::4charizard::4link::4tlink::4luigi::4ness::4yoshi::4falco::4wario::4jigglypuff::4pacman::4olimar::4shulk::4wiifit:

CANNOT gimp::4darkpit::4duckhunt::4gaw::4greninja::4kirby::4lucario::4megaman::4metaknight::4palutena::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4robinm::4samus::4sheik::4villager::4zelda::4zss::4sonic::4dedede::4fox::rosalina::4samus:

Notable conditions:

Jr: must already be using up b

Ness: must get hit by PK thunder

Wario: Must have already used bike

Pacman: Must use trampoline when it is yellow

Olimar: must be holding multiple Pikmin

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Any character that just snaps to the ledge, you can dair at the ledge and it will easily hit them. With this, Swordsman can dair every character in the game. They get their double jump back, however, if you dair them during the ledge snap vulnerability. If it doesn't gimp them, it'll put them in a not so great position.

Dair also scales with your own rage and the opponent's %, it all depends.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Any character that just snaps to the ledge, you can dair at the ledge and it will easily hit them. With this, Swordsman can dair every character in the game. They get their double jump back, however, if you dair them during the ledge snap vulnerability. If it doesn't gimp them, it'll put them in a not so great position.

Dair also scales with your own rage and the opponent's %, it all depends.
I think I might have to move more people to conditionally gimp but i doubt D-air can gimp Kirby after snapping to the ledge.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
So when does Swordfighter's Dair Meteor Smash take effect? I noticed I never get a meteor smash from Dair.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
So when does Swordfighter's Dair Meteor Smash take effect? I noticed I never get a meteor smash from Dair.
As far as I know its not so much a meteor smash as it is the move pulling the opponent down to make sure each hit lands.

RoboTek

Smash Rookie
D-Air is not especially good at gimping, it is about average for down airs.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
D-Air is not especially good at gimping, it is about average for down airs.
En contraire, a Dair is extremely good at gimping. Those multi hitting hitboxes that pull the opponent downwards gimp everyone with a weak vertical recovery. Even if it wasn't "that good" Swordfighter is starved for effective and difficult to punish kill moves.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I did a little bit of research into the D-Air an figured out that it does in fact out last an air-dodge but just barely so the spacing needs to be pristine. IT's actually relatively easy to constantly gimp with the D-Air but it doesn't send characters far enough downward to get them to the blast zone so you have to do ledge-drop B-air again and again until they are to low to recover. Though doing this constantly could be picked up by the opponent and they could change their recovery direction or bait out your D-Air and go for the trade. So it's tedious but it can be used effectively.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Agreed. It is not as easy as Kirby's D-Air.
Wow you just made me realize how bad the Swordfighters D-Air is compared to Kirby's. I mean think about it, Kirby's is hard to SDI out of, has little to no landing lag, and goes at a much better angle for gimping. The poor Swordfighter is literally just the worst.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Wow you just made me realize how bad the Swordfighters D-Air is compared to Kirby's. I mean think about it, Kirby's is hard to SDI out of, has little to no landing lag, and goes at a much better angle for gimping. The poor Swordfighter is literally just the worst.
Uh isn't it just a little unfair to compare Kirby's dair to Swordfighter?
I mean when it comes to gimping Kirby's D-air is amazing but surprisingly i think Swordfighter is better at getting people off the stage. Those disjoints plus the movement specs means a lot for actually getting people off the stage.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I should have put a "JK" or a""/s" at the end there, I was referencing how some people wright the Swordfighter off by saying "He is a character with worse versions of other moves" which is completely false statement. Though I think Kirby's D-Air is only slightly better because it traps more effectively.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Agreed. It is not as easy as Kirby's D-Air.
I find it easier than Kirby's D-air considering the hitbox comes out quicker and it has a nice disjoint. Kirby's D-air actually is a 'dunk' though; Mii Swordfighter's D-air doesn't really have a vertical dunk, though the footstool follow-up is very similar to Kirby's anyway.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If you just do the Melee Falco, and double dair, you should be able to kill anyone, as they fall with you.

Top Bottom