• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Customizable Characters?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Haven't seen this subject posted in the boards... so here it is.

As described on this article, Sakurai plans to have a customizable character creator in the 3DS version that could be transferred to the Wii U version.

Only one player is likely to be using a portable system, and it might be interesting to allow that player to customize Smash Bros. fighters on the 3DS, which could then be brought over to the larger world of a home console Smash Bros. Sakurai's thinking is that an element of communication between the two versions will make both better.
The question is: how could this customizability be implemented?

The fact that some characters use weapons could provide some customizability by having different types of weapons. For example, Link could use different swords and shields from his games, or Ike could use several swords from the Fire Emblem series, as well as axes.

finalark

SNORLAX
IMO character customization will be a novelty what won't be used in competitive play.

So yeah, probably stickers.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
At first I was like, Frostwraith you can't seriously be considering Character Customization. But then I read the article and shut my mouth.
I hope it's miis!

MechaWave

Smash Champion
This is my proposal for character customization.

You can select a character and a specific move you choose will be put on your character, and you can keep "stealing" moves. However this already sounds broken, and thus, the moves will be a huge nerfed move. You can enhance their stats using stickers and trophies which enhances a specific type of move.

Let's say you steal Mario's forward tilt and that does 10%. Your stolen forward tilt will do 4%. Use must use a foot sticker to enhance its power.

However, each sticker has different effects and power increase. You could have a foot sticker that has "40% chance to increase a foot-type move by 3% damage with flame effects", or "10% chance to increase a foot-type move by 5% damage with darkness effects".

This will make it a unique way and automatically make stickers/trophies a useful item to collect while completing random parts of the game. And if each sticker/trophy has different chances, types, effects and maybe even rare enhancements ('pierce through an opponent's move with a 10% chance', etc.) that will solve the broken issue.

There would eventually be a limit on how much you can enhance a move. If Mario's forward tilt does 10% damage at default and not stale, your move cannot surpass that. On the other hand, if Mario's stolen forward tilt can only be enhanced 3 times, you cannot increase that unless you use a trophy or Golden Hammer or something. If a sticker fails the enhancement will decrease to 2 even though it did not work.

A character's design will probably be a Mii but you can steal textures and stuff from other characters as well, or design your own by drawing on the Wii U GamePad or Nintendo 3DS. The weight and height of your character can be no bigger than the character with the most weight/height, such as Bowser. You cannot be heavier nor higher than Bowser.

You can also do this with hitboxes. If Mario's forward tilt reaches starts at his thigh and extends to his foot, you cannot move a hitbox 1.3x farther than his boot or his thigh, and since the hitbox is attached to his foot, you can only move the hitbox along his foot, so you can't make his move hit behind him when the animation shows it doesn't.

Voices and taunts can be implemented with your own voice or stolen sound effects from other characters. The microphone on the 3DS or GamePad can record your voice, create a file, and then you can apply that sound effect to a move, a taunt, or whatever.

You can save characters and share them. You can create up to 3 custom characters.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

So that's what I think could happen in the most logical way, not in the way I want. I don't mind how Sakurai does it because I probably won't make my own character anyways.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Hell yeah MechaWave! Recording my own taunt would be sick!
I'd probably just shout obscenities though. "Bring it on F#$%#%!" "You're Hacking F#$% YOU!" "Who's the man!?! That's Right B#$%$!"
Designing our own textures on the gamepad would be a dream come true. A pixel based grid with tools for blurring maybe?
Downloading and sharing textures = Mind blown. Now I can play as blue Jigglypuff and give Mario some sick tattoo.

keero16

Smash Rookie
I think it will probably have something to do with the Miis. Which isn't a bad thing imo, I would love to have some customizable Miis, I think it would be fun.
And even though I pray stickers won't be a primary form of customization, it probably will be :/

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This is my proposal for character customization.

You can select a character and a specific move you choose will be put on your character, and you can keep "stealing" moves. However this already sounds broken, and thus, the moves will be a huge nerfed move. You can enhance their stats using stickers and trophies which enhances a specific type of move.

Let's say you steal Mario's forward tilt and that does 10%. Your stolen forward tilt will do 4%. Use must use a foot sticker to enhance its power.

However, each sticker has different effects and power increase. You could have a foot sticker that has "40% chance to increase a foot-type move by 3% damage with flame effects", or "10% chance to increase a foot-type move by 5% damage with darkness effects".

This will make it a unique way and automatically make stickers/trophies a useful item to collect while completing random parts of the game. And if each sticker/trophy has different chances, types, effects and maybe even rare enhancements ('pierce through an opponent's move with a 10% chance', etc.) that will solve the broken issue.

There would eventually be a limit on how much you can enhance a move. If Mario's forward tilt does 10% damage at default and not stale, your move cannot surpass that. On the other hand, if Mario's stolen forward tilt can only be enhanced 3 times, you cannot increase that unless you use a trophy or Golden Hammer or something. If a sticker fails the enhancement will decrease to 2 even though it did not work.

A character's design will probably be a Mii but you can steal textures and stuff from other characters as well, or design your own by drawing on the Wii U GamePad or Nintendo 3DS. The weight and height of your character can be no bigger than the character with the most weight/height, such as Bowser. You cannot be heavier nor higher than Bowser.

You can also do this with hitboxes. If Mario's forward tilt reaches starts at his thigh and extends to his foot, you cannot move a hitbox 1.3x farther than his boot or his thigh, and since the hitbox is attached to his foot, you can only move the hitbox along his foot, so you can't make his move hit behind him when the animation shows it doesn't.

Voices and taunts can be implemented with your own voice or stolen sound effects from other characters. The microphone on the 3DS or GamePad can record your voice, create a file, and then you can apply that sound effect to a move, a taunt, or whatever.

You can save characters and share them. You can create up to 3 custom characters.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

So that's what I think could happen in the most logical way, not in the way I want. I don't mind how Sakurai does it because I probably won't make my own character anyways.
perhaps drawing inspiration from Mario Tennis Open and Nintendo Land would help for character based costumes. since Miis are used as avatars in most Nintendo software, it wouldn't be a stretch.

Another idea is making your own Multi Man style fighter, like the Polygons, Wireframes or Alloys.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I just hope that there is one customizable character, a template character like the Mii. It would be fun to mess around with and easy to ban in competitive play.

:phone:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Oh will we be able to customize their moves? Because that will ruin the point of playing a specific character already in the game and like everyone has said, probably be banned from competitive play.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
The quote didn't say anything about customizable "character" just that Smash for the 3DS will be customizable. This could be stuff like stage builder.

Ideally I would like a full on custom characters design. You could take body model and swap its skin with different textures. For example you can take Kirby's body and put waddle dee's skin. Outfits and asccessories to further your custom character. These skins can also be drawn on and colored with the stylist

Each body will have a special selection of standard attacks you can choose from. Specials and final smashes will be a list that can transfer for any body.

I doubt that this will be the case but one can only hope. I just want to make certain characters that I know won't be in Smash (e.g. Captain N).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The quote didn't say anything about customizable "character" just that Smash for the 3DS will be customizable. This could be stuff like stage builder.

Ideally I would like a full on custom characters design. You could take body model and swap its skin with different textures. For example you can take Kirby's body and put waddle dee's skin. Outfits and asccessories to further your custom character. These skins can also be drawn on and colored with the stylist

Each body will have a special selection of standard attacks you can choose from. Specials and final smashes will be a list that can transfer for any body.

I doubt that this will be the case but one can only hope. I just want to make certain characters that I know won't be in Smash (e.g. Captain N).
it clearly says "it might be interesting to allow that player to customize Smash Bros. fighters on the 3DS". Fighters = characters, no?

that aside, I pretty much agree with your post overall. perhaps you could have outfits based on Nintendo characters or selecting body shapes like humanoid, puffball and such.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I believe the more accurate translation is that you would "build up" characters, think RPG elements here. Then he went on to say that you could transfer those "built up" characters, essentially having been "customized" because of those elements, to the Wii U.

People just went wacky when they saw "customized" without really understanding what he meant.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'd probably just shout obscenities though. "Bring it on F#$%#%!" "You're Hacking F#$% YOU!" "Who's the man!?! That's Right B#$%$!"
Designing our own textures on the gamepad would be a dream come true. A pixel based grid with tools for blurring maybe?
Downloading and sharing textures = Mind blown. Now I can play as blue Jigglypuff and give Mario some sick tattoo.
That's why I am 100% against recordable taunts. I would prefer to play Smash without 12 year old kids yelling obscenities at me; voice cracking and all or a 36 year old shut in telling me to "shut up and make me a sammich".

I'm also 100% against fully customizable characters save for Miis. Ruins the character hacking community

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Unrelated but fun fact: I don't play Call of Duty games online partially because of the children (and non-children alike) who do that. It gets rather obnoxious.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
I think it will be the Miis.
But I think that (and it should be like that imo) customization should be limited by one fighting style per-character. For example, if you wanted to make a sword character, you couldn't use many moves that a gun or weaponless character would use.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I'm thinking give the characters 8 specials and 8 smashes (2 for each direction) and then customizing the moveset

Example: Link's specials

Bs: Arrow
Boomerang

Side Bs: Epona Charge
Double Hook-Shot

Up Bs: Spin Attack
Loftwing Ride

Down BS: Bomb
Megaton Hammer

ryuu seika

Smash Master

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Balancing that would be a headache for the developers. I prefer they to focus on developing more Characters, at least for DLC in the future

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Also I think that would kill the escence of the game, which is NINTENDO CHARACTERS. If custom characters become more powerfull than normal characters eventually we will end playing with 4 strange dudes instead of Link, Fox, Pikachu and Mario

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
What's with all the spambots recently? This is the second one I've seen this week.

Carlo, first off, don't triple post. Just use the Edit button at the bottom right of your first post if you have something to add.

Secondly, I mostly agree. Trying to balance custom characters would be pretty tough for the devs. They'd have to make it so people don't make insanely powerful characters. (Like that Ultimate Superman PSA for Ganondorf in Brawl.)

However, anyone who doesn't want character customization solely because it would be unbalanced for tournaments is a loon. Just ban custom characters from the tournaments and all of your problems are solved. (I don't think anyone in this thread is of that mindset, but I do recall people saying stuff like that in the old SSB4 thread.)

Frankly, I'd like it if customization was similar to that in Soul Calibur. Create your character with various options to change skin, hair, clothes, etc. (Also, don't limit it to humans. Let us use body types like Kirby, Pikachu, Bowser, Charizard, etc.) Then let us either make a moveset from scratch or choose am existing one to modify. I'd be okay with either, really. Then we can choose their stats (with a limited number of Stat Points) and we're good to go. I don't think customs should be allowed online, though.

Top Bottom