• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Sound Engine v3.0 - Currently in Public Testing Phase

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I'm in Project M 3.6, with the linked victory code in the op.
In that case just change Ike's music code to the cse code you want it set to, add into your .gct. An ez way to do that is to use GCTEdit to open your .gct file, export it as a .txt file (make sure the extension is .txt when you save it cause it won't change it automatically) copy your edited victory theme code into the .gct text file, recompile it with... Code Manager or some other thing. Code Manager is what I use. All these things can be found here:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Resources.php

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
I've started experimenting with actually using the Custom Sound Engine code and the Stage-Track Dependent Song Loader with the Tracklist Modifier. As a test, I took the Battlefield that's now using Green Hill Zone's music slots and put together a code that replaces the Green Hill music with a combination of default Brawl music and custom music files that are named 00004000 through 00004006. I put the custom brstms in the strm folder and tried to run them ingame. When the game is loading a default Brawl track, it works perfectly. When it tries to load a custom track, the stage simply doesn't play any music at all. I've tried putting the files in sound/strm and sound/sfx and neither worked. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

I did get tracklist modifier to work on Bridge of Eldin so there's that.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I've started experimenting with actually using the Custom Sound Engine code and the Stage-Track Dependent Song Loader with the Tracklist Modifier. As a test, I took the Battlefield that's now using Green Hill Zone's music slots and put together a code that replaces the Green Hill music with a combination of default Brawl music and custom music files that are named 00004000 through 00004006. I put the custom brstms in the strm folder and tried to run them ingame. When the game is loading a default Brawl track, it works perfectly. When it tries to load a custom track, the stage simply doesn't play any music at all. I've tried putting the files in sound/strm and sound/sfx and neither worked. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

I did get tracklist modifier to work on Bridge of Eldin so there's that.
From what you've said, it seems like the Stage-Track Dependent Song Loader is working fine, but just doesn't do numbers above the default Brawl values. Which is weird cause I used the CSE with the Stage Dependent Song Loader (the one that plays one song per stage, as opposed to per track) and it worked fine. You sure you're not using the wrong version of the code?

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
The code I am using comes from this page http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=27447.0 which is a tutorial on using an older version of CSE with Brawl. I wouldn't think the CSE would be a problem unless there's something about Project M or the updated version of the CSE code that causes it to work differently.

The IDs for the new songs are supposed to be the last four digits of the filename, correct?

Edit: I just tried using the individual stage dependent song loader with a CSE track and that just loaded the stage without music as well. So I don't think the Stage-Track Dependent Song Loader is causing the problem here.

Last edited:

Midnight_B1u3

Smash Cadet
In that case just change Ike's music code to the cse code you want it set to, add into your .gct. An ez way to do that is to use GCTEdit to open your .gct file, export it as a .txt file (make sure the extension is .txt when you save it cause it won't change it automatically) copy your edited victory theme code into the .gct text file, recompile it with... Code Manager or some other thing. Code Manager is what I use. All these things can be found here:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/Resources.php
Thanks a ton. I'll give it a shot.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
The code I am using comes from this page http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=27447.0 which is a tutorial on using an older version of CSE with Brawl. I wouldn't think the CSE would be a problem unless there's something about Project M or the updated version of the CSE code that causes it to work differently.

The IDs for the new songs are supposed to be the last four digits of the filename, correct?

Edit: I just tried using the individual stage dependent song loader with a CSE track and that just loaded the stage without music as well. So I don't think the Stage-Track Dependent Song Loader is causing the problem here.
Yeah that one doesn't work with PM. That's the whole reason the code in this thread exists lol.

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that one doesn't work with PM. That's the whole reason the code in this thread exists lol.
No, I did use the CSE code that was posted in this thread. Unless there's another version of the stage track dependent song loader that I missed.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
No, I did use the CSE code that was posted in this thread. Unless there's another version of the stage track dependent song loader that I missed.
Hmmm... I'm gonna try using the stage-track dependent version then and see if it works for me. I shall report my findings momentarily.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord

You would be correct in this. What are you using to compile your code when everything is done? I'm guessing the code could not be compiled correctly if you're using the version of CSE that's in this thread. Also... that guide is kinda... dumb. The code they have for the stage-track dependent song loader... I don't know why it has one upper case and one lower case. You only need the code once for each track you want to replace.

Edit: Oh shiiiiiz double post! Oops.

Last edited:

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
You would be correct in this. What are you using to compile your code when everything is done? I'm guessing the code could not be compiled correctly if you're using the version of CSE that's in this thread. Also... that guide is kinda... dumb. The code they have for the stage-track dependent song loader... I don't know why it has one upper case and one lower case. You only need the code once for each track you want to replace.

Edit: Oh shiiiiiz double post! Oops.
I had been using BrawlBox to edit the gct file. I just opened the gct file with it, clicked on the new code button, copy and pasted the code that's in the first post, and saved. Yeah, the tutorial I was using had worded everything strangely and I ended up having to reread it a few times to understand it. What I thought you're meant to do with that is to duplicate the code for each track you want to replace. So for example, I've put

28708CEB 00000001 (01 = Stage ID for Battlefield)
28708D2E 000027F2 (27F2 = Song ID for Green Hill Zone, which was successfully transferred over to Battlefield using Tracklist Modifier code)
4A000000 90180F06
14000076 FF0026FC (26FC = Song ID for Battlefield's theme)
E0000000 80008000

And then right after that, I just put code for the next song and move on.

28708CEB 00000001 (01 = Battlefield's Stage ID)
28708D2E 000027F3 (27F3 = Song ID for Scrap Brain Zone)
4A000000 90180F06
14000076 FF002709 (2709 = Song ID for Cruel Brawl theme)
E0000000 80008000

And all of that works. It's just tracks that I attempt to add through CSE that don't work.

28708D2E 000027F8 (27F8 = Song ID for Super Sonic Racing)
4A000000 90180F06
14000076 FF004000 (4000 = Custom BRSTM named 00004000.brstm)
E0000000 80008000

When the game tries to load this, it just doesn't play any music at all. And like the main CSE code, I had placed it in the GCT with BrawlBox. I can try making a new gct with a different program later incase BrawlBox is causing the problem for some reason. Other than that, I don't know what it could be.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I had been using BrawlBox to edit the gct file. I just opened the gct file with it, clicked on the new code button, copy and pasted the code that's in the first post, and saved. Yeah, the tutorial I was using had worded everything strangely and I ended up having to reread it a few times to understand it. What I thought you're meant to do with that is to duplicate the code for each track you want to replace. So for example, I've put

28708CEB 00000001 (01 = Stage ID for Battlefield)
28708D2E 000027F2 (27F2 = Song ID for Green Hill Zone, which was successfully transferred over to Battlefield using Tracklist Modifier code)
4A000000 90180F06
14000076 FF0026FC (26FC = Song ID for Battlefield's theme)
E0000000 80008000

And then right after that, I just put code for the next song and move on.

28708D2E 000027F3 (27F3 = Song ID for Scrap Brain Zone)
4A000000 90180F06
14000076 FF002709 (2709 = Song ID for Cruel Brawl theme)
E0000000 80008000

And all of that works. It's just tracks that I attempt to add through CSE that don't work.

28708D2E 000027F8 (27F8 = Song ID for Super Sonic Racing)
4A000000 90180F06
14000076 FF004000 (4000 = Custom BRSTM named 00004000.brstm)
E0000000 80008000

When the game tries to load this, it just doesn't play any music at all. And like the main CSE code, I had placed it in the GCT with BrawlBox. I can try making a new gct with a different program later incase BrawlBox is causing the problem for some reason. Other than that, I don't know what it could be.
Must be something with the CSE then, try adding your codes using GCTEdit and Code Manager. It's what I use and I never seem to have a problem with it. GCTEdit to extract as .txt file, add your CSE and song loader codes into that .txt file and then open with Code Manager to save as .gct again.

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
So I finally got this thing to work after tinkering around with it for a while.

From what I can tell, the problem was that having your brstms named 00004000 through 00004006 does not work. I ended up renaming the files to 0000C001 through 0000C007 and that magically made it start working. I guess the filenames I was using before weren't compatible with the CSE code or something. I'm just glad I was able to get it working since I can now proceed to make a build that has 12 unique tracks on every stage. (Except Mushroomy Kingdom and Training Room since Tracklist Modifier doesn't work on those two. Still haven't figured that one out yet.)

Amazerommu

Smash Lord

From what I can tell, the problem was that having your brstms named 00004000 through 00004006 does not work. I ended up renaming the files to 0000C001 through 0000C007 and that magically made it start working. I guess the filenames I was using before weren't compatible with the CSE code or something. I'm just glad I was able to get it working since I can now proceed to make a build that has 12 unique tracks on every stage. (Except Mushroomy Kingdom and Training Room since Tracklist Modifier doesn't work on those two. Still haven't figured that one out yet.)
Woooooooooooow... I didn't think to try the code with a value lower than C000 lol... Good on ya mate!

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman

weird... I'm not 100% why that's an issue, but I'll look into it nonetheless. I can confirm that tracks A000 and onwards work as well.

MrHadouken

Smash Cadet
So I add both thr CSE code and the Custom Victory theme with GCTEdit, and afterwards whether I add a song or not in projectm/pf/sound/strm or projextm/pf/sound/sfx (which I just create for this) it never works and just skips to the Result Screen Music. I have full understanding that the brstm file must be named 0000XXXX.brstm (the X's chamge depending on the 4 last digits that correspond to the character.
1. What am I doing wrong?
2. Is there a REAL proper way to put codes? If so, how?
3. Is there another place I have to put the .brstm files on? If so, where?
4. Does it have to be on vanilla PM's code?
5. This affects every character except for Bowser? Why is that?

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
1. Which four digit numbers did you assign to your custom victory themes? Certain values don't seem to work for some reason as I had discovered earlier.
2. You can either edit the gct directly with Brawlbox or use GCTEdit to export it as a txt file, edit that, and convert it back to a gct with Code Manager.
3. They go in the sound folder with normal brstm files.
4. Not exactly sure what you're asking but you can only use one gct file at a time so I'm going to say yes.
5. Vanilla PM has a code that makes the game load one of Smashville's KK Rider songs as Bowser's victory theme. I'm guessing the code you were using didn't override it. If you want to replace it, the file is N12.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Dude, you are amazing. This works with Alternate Stage Loader. My dream come true! Now if I can get BrawlEX working, then my life will be complete!

EDIT: For some odd reason, when both this code and the ASL code are active, expansion stages lock up on Dolphin. Won't be able to test this on a Wii for a while, but both codes individually are fine. It's only when together that I have issues.

EDIT Again: Apparently, this only applies to specific expansion stages. Gonna have to check it out on my Wii this weekend.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Dude, you are amazing. This works with Alternate Stage Loader. My dream come true! Now if I can get BrawlEX working, then my life will be complete!

EDIT: For some odd reason, when both this code and the ASL code are active, expansion stages lock up on Dolphin. Won't be able to test this on a Wii for a while, but both codes individually are fine. It's only when together that I have issues.

EDIT Again: Apparently, this only applies to specific expansion stages. Gonna have to check it out on my Wii this weekend.
hmmm, so when you say "expansion" stages, do you mean ASL-button combo stages? Or do you mean Stage Expansion, new slot stages?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
hmmm, so when you say "expansion" stages, do you mean ASL-button combo stages? Or do you mean Stage Expansion, new slot stages?
I believe he means the extra slot stages, using alts on those combined with CSE.

Last edited:

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
I believe he means the extra slot stages, using alts on those combined with CSE.
This is what I plan to do in my build though I have not gotten that far in putting it together yet. I'll let you know what happens when I try it. So far, there have been no issues in using CSE with PM's default ASL stages.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
This is what I plan to do in my build though I have not gotten that far in putting it together yet. I'll let you know what happens when I try it. So far, there have been no issues in using CSE with PM's default ASL stages.
Yeah, I mean the extra slots. Some of them crash on Dolphin now no matter what, with some error about a backend (so I'm assuming it's just a Dolphin-specific error). This didn't happen with just the ASL code, and it doesn't happen with just the CSE 3.0 code.

For the record, I'm in vBrawl with CBliss. Plan to swap out CBliss for BrawlEx whenever I have more free time and if it's compatible with everything else.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Yeah, I mean the extra slots. Some of them crash on Dolphin now no matter what, with some error about a backend (so I'm assuming it's just a Dolphin-specific error). This didn't happen with just the ASL code, and it doesn't happen with just the CSE 3.0 code.

For the record, I'm in vBrawl with CBliss. Plan to swap out CBliss for BrawlEx whenever I have more free time and if it's compatible with everything else.
vBrawl could be the issue, as this version of CSE is meant for Project M. I haven't tried stage expansion with this in my version of PM though soooo I dunno for sure.

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
I tested CSE with Track Modifier on an expansion stage with ASL last night. Everything seemed to work fine although I only tried it with one stage so far. I was also doing this on a Wii and not with Dolphin. At the moment, I'm going to assume that Beninator's issue is being caused by either Dolphin or vBrawl. There is an older version of the CSE code out there that was made to be used with vBrawl if you want to try that. Which stages in particular had been freezing for you and does it freeze no matter what stage you put over that slot or is it specific stages?

I need to find a larger SD card before I do much more with this. I have over 2GBs of brstms saved and still a lot left to download.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I tested CSE with Track Modifier on an expansion stage with ASL last night. Everything seemed to work fine although I only tried it with one stage so far. I was also doing this on a Wii and not with Dolphin. At the moment, I'm going to assume that Beninator's issue is being caused by either Dolphin or vBrawl. There is an older version of the CSE code out there that was made to be used with vBrawl if you want to try that. Which stages in particular had been freezing for you and does it freeze no matter what stage you put over that slot or is it specific stages?

I need to find a larger SD card before I do much more with this. I have over 2GBs of brstms saved and still a lot left to download.
The SD Card struggle is too real for this code lmao. I've got a 4GB SD card and idk if I'll be able to fit all the thingz on it.

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
Oh you're definitely going to want 8GBs or more if you're doing the stage expansion with 12 songs on every stage route I'm going with.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520

I can confirm it was just Dolphin, it worked flawlessly on the original Wii.

The old CSE code was incompatible with the ASL code, so I needed to use this for my goals :p

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
So uuuuuh, all of a sudden I'm having an issue where this thing isn't working. I dunno what changed now from when I was using it before. But my version of PM is acting like the code doesn't exist. Trying it with the Alt Song Forcer code, each alt just loads their original soundtracks, and trying to use the Stage Dependent Song Loader causes stages to freeze. I wish I could know what I did... lol. Halp!

Edit: Not sure how the issue happened in the first place but it's fixed now after formatting my SD Card and redoing all the things... Hmmmm

Last edited:

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Have there been any updates on this? I had this code working a while back, but then tonight I went to use it and even though I'm doing everything exactly the same way I did before (following everything in this thread, adding songs over Battlefield's for an expansion stage) it crashes when players spawn in! Been trying to figure it out for hours now.

UPDATE: I managed to get the CSE to load a song from Delfino Plaza instead of "0000C001". It seems that whenever I attempt to get the engine to load NEW songs, it crashes. Any way around this? That would specific stage would be input as "C001" in the code right?

UPDATE 2: OMG I FIXED IT. changed the file name to 0000A000 and we're good! Any idea why this happened?

Last edited:

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
Have there been any updates on this? I had this code working a while back, but then tonight I went to use it and even though I'm doing everything exactly the same way I did before (following everything in this thread, adding songs over Battlefield's for an expansion stage) it crashes when players spawn in! Been trying to figure it out for hours now.

UPDATE: I managed to get the CSE to load a song from Delfino Plaza instead of "0000C001". It seems that whenever I attempt to get the engine to load NEW songs, it crashes. Any way around this? That would specific stage would be input as "C001" in the code right?

UPDATE 2: OMG I FIXED IT. changed the file name to 0000A000 and we're good! Any idea why this happened?
I had a similar problem only instead of crashing the game, it just wouldn't play any music at all. Most likely, the filename you were using before wasn't compatible with the code for some reason.

BakerFalcon

Smash Cadet
So do I just place the brstms where they usually go? Also do I name it like this 00004000.brstm? If so, what comes after that; 00004100.brstm?
Also I'm using Brawl Ex+PM

Last edited:

Strange Matter

Smash Rookie
So do I just place the brstms where they usually go? Also do I name it like this 00004000.brstm? If so, what comes after that; 00004100.brstm?
Also I'm using Brawl Ex+PM
Yes, they go in the same strm folder as usual. The next would be 00004001 and so on, but you don't need to use them in any particular order.

BakerFalcon

Smash Cadet
I tried it and it didn't work. It just skips straight to the music that plays after the victory theme. Maybe if I try another brstm file...

Strange Matter

Smash Rookie
I tried it and it didn't work. It just skips straight to the music that plays after the victory theme. Maybe if I try another brstm file...
Sounds like the game is at least trying to load the CSE song. 0000A000 and up definitely work, but going by earlier posts in this thread, anything below that might not.

BakerFalcon

Smash Cadet
Sounds like the game is at least trying to load the CSE song. 0000A000 and up definitely work, but going by earlier posts in this thread, anything below that might not.[/QUOT
Ok. One last question. Do I need to actually install the code? If so, how do I do it?

BakerFalcon

Smash Cadet
Just noticed this, It didn't put my words in my message. Just your quote. Anyhow, might it have something to work with the fact that I don't have the actual code installed? If I do need to install it, how do I do it?
Thanks!

UltimateHylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yorch2296
3DS FC
1650-2285-2395
So, i'm trying to get this to work with wiiztec's Alt stage song forcer code, but I haven't gotten any good results. My .gct has the Sm4sh team aura thingy code, and CSE code and the Custom victory theme code (which i got working with CSE starting from the A000 values since that's what i read here), but whenever i try to add wiiztec's code, i get a crash after the strap screen, right when the opening should play.

I really don't know what the issue could be since i followed wiiztec's tutorial and i'm only trying to load one song (L alt for Delfino's Secret). Here's the asm code for reference:

lis r12,0x815F
lhz r12,0xFFFF8422(r12)
slwi r0,r0,16
srwi r0,r0,16

s1: cmpwi r27,0x03
bne s2
cmpwi r12,0x0040
bne end
li r0,0xA006

end:stw r0,0(r29)

And in hex:
C210F9FC 00000006
3D80815F A18C8422
5400801E 5400843E
2C1B0003 40820000
2C0C0040 40820008
3800A006 901D0000
60000000 00000000

I try to load 0000A006.brstm, which i put in projectm/pf/sound/strm since that's where i have my custom victory themes (A000 to A005) and they work with no issues. I don't know if i should ask here or in wiiztec's thread, but if anyone has had the same crashing issue i'd like to know atleast that because it's so weird that it's driving me insane :V Maybe the alt song forcer thing doesn't work with CSE? I haven't really tried using the brstms already in the game because i didn't want to replace anything.

EDIT: I'm not using PMEX btw.

EDIT 2: Just tested with a normal brstm (from de SSE). Still doesn't work :(

Last edited:

Kirbeast

Smash Cadet
So, i'm trying to get this to work with wiiztec's Alt stage song forcer code, but I haven't gotten any good results. My .gct has the Sm4sh team aura thingy code, and CSE code and the Custom victory theme code (which i got working with CSE starting from the A000 values since that's what i read here), but whenever i try to add wiiztec's code, i get a crash after the strap screen, right when the opening should play.

I really don't know what the issue could be since i followed wiiztec's tutorial and i'm only trying to load one song (L alt for Delfino's Secret). Here's the asm code for reference:

lis r12,0x815F
lhz r12,0xFFFF8422(r12)
slwi r0,r0,16
srwi r0,r0,16

bne s2
cmpwi r12,0x0040
bne end
li r0,0xA006

And in hex:
C210F9FC 00000006
3D80815F A18C8422
5400801E 5400843E
2C1B0003 40820000
2C0C0040 40820008
3800A006 901D0000
60000000 00000000

I try to load 0000A006.brstm, which i put in projectm/pf/sound/strm since that's where i have my custom victory themes (A000 to A005) and they work with no issues. I don't know if i should ask here or in wiiztec's thread, but if anyone has had the same crashing issue i'd like to know atleast that because it's so weird that it's driving me insane :V Maybe the alt song forcer thing doesn't work with CSE? I haven't really tried using the brstms already in the game because i didn't want to replace anything.

Have you made any progress with trying to get this to work?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord

lis r12,0x815F
lhz r12,0xFFFF8422(r12)
slwi r0,r0,16
srwi r0,r0,16

bne s2
cmpwi r12,0x0040
bne end
li r0,0xA006

And in hex:
C210F9FC 00000006
3D80815F A18C8422
5400801E 5400843E
2C1B0003 40820000
2C0C0040 40820008
3800A006 901D0000
60000000 00000000

Try using this instead from here if you're only using one song.

Fixed Song Forcer for PMEX (with CSE Support) [PyotrLuzhin, wiiztec]
C210F9FC 00000006
3D808058 A18C58BA
5400801E 5400843E
2C1B00XX 40820014
2C0CYYYY 4082000C
38000000 6000ZZZZ
901D0000 00000000

XX = Stage ID
YYYY=Button Combo (http://gamehacking.org/faqs/Jokerwii.htm)
ZZZZ=Song ID

Top Bottom