• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Moves For Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSkeetBro

Smash Journeyman
just realized a flaw in part of my logic. pretty sure the meteor bombs will meteor myself as well so.....it wouldnt be an alternate recovery option like i was thinking.

morbid altruism- does the type 2 or 3 angle or is it JUST gale boomerang?

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
So meteor are good but can't bomb jump...3rd spin attack looks good now.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I'm probably gonna go with 2223. I missed the old boomerang, so it's good to see that it's back as a custom move.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I'd probably go 1113 or 2213. His default stuff is pretty good. The strong arrows are much more situational, but better at that one situation (your opponent is extremely far off stage). Meteor bombs sound broken. I actually like Link's improved Gale boomerang, which actually pulls people insanely far depending on the angle it is returning.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'll probably go 2221. I prefer the combo potential and the utility of the default bombs. I like the power versions of these moves, but may use all 3 up Bs.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Question, does link's meteor bombs meteor smash link when he is holding them in midair? cause that could put a real dent on the 'shorter fuse with magic spin attack' combo

SuperSkeetBro

Smash Journeyman
ok so the 2 boomerang DOES angle. sweet! i will most likely be using that then! but that 3rd one does definately look like it could be good for stalling out your opponents. plus i think i saw that it could be angle when you jump in the air which is when i usually boomerang anyways. hhhmm that magic spin attack recovery is garbage though uggg maybe just stick with the regular. as for the meteor bombs not allowing bombjumps, i wonder if you can meteor cancel quick enough to still get some recovery out of it?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, looks like I'll be using the following combinations for Link:

Second Set: Arrows
Third Set: Boomerang
Third Set: Bombs
First or Third Set: Spin Attack

Of course, if it's all tournament viable (which it should be, by the way).

Rizen

Smash Legend
Holy ****! Those meteor bombs O.O
Although it makes me wonder what will end up being banned at tourneys.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The meteor bombs are incredibly weak at low percents, and even at higher ones it isn't that
strong.
Yeah, I just watched Ninja Link's vid and realized they aren't as strong as the gif shows, lol.

I think I'd go with normal arrows except maybe in teams piercing arrows, magic boomerang with multi hits looks great for combos, the flying spin attack and normal bombs. But this is all in theory since I haven't played SSB4.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_customization

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea its a huge misconception on how strong the meteor bombs are. It sucks in neutral and will be mainly used for edgeguarding. On average weight its around 90% where it actually puts them in tumble.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'd love to roll with different sets simply because the custom specials emphasize a trade-off of some more ground-presence or aerial-presence. For now, I'd roll with this set:

Silver Arrows -- The distance nerf projectiles generally received, now even worse uncharged it seems, but the increased KB & % damage when FC is worth the former setback. This is also my custom special choice assuming that Arrow Landing Cancels aren't in Sm4sh. Though, Piercing Arrows are also cool when they ignore projectiles. . .I may switch between them.

Magic Boomerang -- Multi-hit, lockdown, & can follow-up after throwing. I miss the 64 / Melee Boomerang, so I may switch between them.

Flying Spin Attack -- Link is fairly great on the ground zoning with his plethora of projectiles & clawshot. Though when recovering everyone knows Link "can't", so this is the easy answer to that. Bomb jumping giving you TWO of these bad boy UpB's? Yes please! Albeit, the Melee-esque UpB promotes Link's ground-game even more, probably forcing characters to respect Link's UpB when landing near the ledge & on the stage's end.

Super Bomb -- I thought about the Meteor Bombs, but the scaling of the Meteor Smash property they have is too small, even when they're at medium % around the 50 - 80% range. That said, Super Bombs are the ****. Their explosive hit-box improved greatly & the presence of their size is intimidating for bomb-play Z-air dropping on platforms when CP'ing stages like BF etc..

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Yea its a huge misconception on how strong the meteor bombs are. It sucks in neutral and will be mainly used for edgeguarding. On average weight its around 90% where it actually puts them in tumble.
You might be wrong about them being bad in neutral. It looks like you can get characters to pop up on the ground at high percents and looks like it has a decent amount of stun. You might be able to get some sweet conversions with this custom. If your opponent techs the spike, you can just tech chase. In fact, I think it might be the opposite with spike bombs being better in neutral and a bit worse offstage. The spike seems to be more effective against characters with bad recoveries on them, and the bomb can be more easily evaded off stage.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the rest of Link's customs.

Electric Spin Attack- It reminds me a lot of the electric affect the energy disks gave in Majora's Mask when Fierce Deity Link landed them. Could be a homage. Looks pretty useful if you're skilled enough at recovery. I might make some use of it. I wish the Melee spin attack would be in instead though.

Tornado Spin Attack- Great for recovery, but I'm not really fond of it. They should have at least given it a windbox on the ground or something. This custom is pretty lame imo outside of bomb jumps.

Giant Bombs- Pretty hilarious to look at. Very ridiculous. :awesome: That "dribble" you can do with them looks great for mind games. Their shorter fuse makes them even better for traps and walls.

Quick Bow- A very decent move imo. I like it. I wonder how rapidly you can shoot arrows in the air though it looks like your range is a lot shorter if you don't charge it. The priority of this move is amazing however, so it'll definitely be seeing some use.

Silver Bow/Strong Bow- I don't know how to feel about this move. You need to fully charge the bow in order to have much use, and even then it can just be dodged/shielded. I need to see more of this custom in order to have a set opinion.

Multi-hit Boomerang- Lots of combo potential here with that lock-down effect. Especially in teams. I like this custom a lot and it will see lots of usage from me.

Smash 64/Project M Boomerang- This is easily my favorite custom move from Link. Lots of possible follow-ups with this one. Especially on it's way back. I would really miss this version of the rang if not for its inclusion as a custom move. I'll be switching between this and the multi hit rang frequently, but I'll be using this one a lot more in singles matches.

Looking forward to trying these out although I'm a little disappointed that Melee spin attack isn't an option. Link for sure won't be low tier this time around. Very excited!
:4link:

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
You might be wrong about them being bad in neutral. It looks like you can get characters to pop up on the ground at high percents and looks like it has a decent amount of stun. You might be able to get some sweet conversions with this custom. If your opponent techs the spike, you can just tech chase. In fact, I think it might be the opposite with spike bombs being better in neutral and a bit worse offstage. The spike seems to be more effective against characters with bad recoveries on them, and the bomb can be more easily evaded off stage.
The problem is it wont spike until high percents. Until till it just has little stun and they can act out of it quickly.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
The problem is it wont spike until high percents. Until till it just has little stun and they can act out of it quickly.
Still though, even a little bit of hit stun is enough so long as the character stays in one spot, which seems to be the case. I would recommend experimenting with it a bit more. Just to be sure.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Still though, even a little bit of hit stun is enough so long as the character stays in one spot, which seems to be the case. I would recommend experimenting with it a bit more.
If you want hit-stun, why not use regular bombs, which can't be teched by the way?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
If you want hit-stun, why not use regular bombs, which can't be teched by the way?
Because they send opponents flying in any direction rather than keeping them pinned down. Follow ups would work very differently (and techs can just be tech chased). The more variety the better.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because they send opponents flying in any direction rather than keeping them pinned down. Follow ups would work very differently (and techs can just be tech chased). The more variety the better.
I get that, though the problem here is that you're really overestimating the stun those bombs have at
low percents. It's pretty much equivalent to a fast fireball custom by Mario.

Add to the fact that these bombs are also worse at dealing damage (5% max), you're trading usefulness
in the neutral game for better edgeguarding.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I get that, though the problem here is that you're really overestimating the stun those bombs have at
low percents. It's pretty much equivalent to a fast fireball custom by Mario.

Add to the fact that these bombs are also worse at dealing damage (5% max), you're trading usefulness
in the neutral game for better edgeguarding.
Yeah, I was pretty wrong about how much stun it has. "Decent" is an overstatement. But the hitstun gets better as the character gains percent. You shouldn't compare it to Mario's fast fire ball. I'm just saying that I don't think the meteor bombs are useless in the neutral game to the level you guys are putting it at.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, I was pretty wrong about how much stun it has. "Decent" is an overstatement. But the hitstun gets better as the character gains percent. You shouldn't compare it to Mario's fast fire ball. I'm just saying that I don't think the meteor bombs are useless in the neutral game to the level you guys are putting it at.
Until the opponent reaches 80%, it basically is. And 80% from 0 is a long wait.
And need I remind you how little damage these bombs deal?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Until the opponent reaches 80%, it basically is. And 80% from 0 is a long wait.
And need I remind you how little damage these bombs deal?
Long wait? No, not really. Gaining percentage is very easy. 80% wouldn't require a long wait at all lol. Link has plenty of ways to get people at around that percentage in a very short time. The damage they deal doesn't matter much either so long as you can get confirms out of a hit, such as down throw bomb into grab.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Speaking as someone who used Ganon in Brawl, strong but super laggy moves aren't very good. The strong bow goes a good distance and that does increase it's worth but imo overall they don't look like the best arrows.
Similarly the meteor bombs look like the strong situational edge guard use doesn't make up for the loss of other uses. Especially with Link's increased recovery and new spikes and gimping abilities.

A lot of the custom specials seem more gimicky then practical (except boomerang) But- I could see a moveset being built around one of the custom specials and other practical moves. Like big bombs but make up for them with all around normal arrows. Or use the strong bow with normal bombs to space and use normally.

Some combos of custom move might work like strong bow+wind upB for offstage charged arrows but then Link loses a huge chunk of his onstage game. Or big bombs+lightning spin attack for a glass canon Link who uses bomb recoveries frequently. How about light arrows and magic boomerang for wicked mid range multi-hit pressure?

There are tons of possibilities to fit different playstyles. How many end up practical at high level play is hard to say but probably few.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Flip side; if the meteor effect is weak unless at really high percentages, pairing it with the super high spin attack might still allow you to take advantage of that shorter fuse to bomb-recover, because the second spin jump you'd get out of it would allow you to gain more air than you'd lose from the spike.
You'd need to know your percentages REALLY well, though, before that could become anything other than a suicide...
Just something to think about.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Flip side; if the meteor effect is weak unless at really high percentages, pairing it with the super high spin attack might still allow you to take advantage of that shorter fuse to bomb-recover, because the second spin jump you'd get out of it would allow you to gain more air than you'd lose from the spike.
You'd need to know your percentages REALLY well, though, before that could become anything other than a suicide...
Just something to think about.
Fully aware but i dont think you're gonna get put in a position to make use of this, especially with tether being as good as it is :<

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
Fully aware but i dont think you're gonna get put in a position to make use of this, especially with tether being as good as it is :<
Yeah, but tether requires that your second jump get you into range first, right?
If you're out of your second jump, and you're still out of tether range even after an Up B, bombs are your last resort to get into range, and if you're below the stage then it's better to follow up with an up B anyways since a tether won't lock-on appropriately unless you've got some horizontal angling working for you, and moving into that horizontal position opposite to the ledge could leave you vulnerable, or worse, make you predictable, leaving you open to meteor smashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom