• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Move discussion: Bowser

Ultima 3

Smash Cadet
Neutral B
Fire Breath: Breathes fire medium distance. Range of fire decreases. Goes from maximum to minimum distance in 8 seconds. At minimum distance takes 11 seconds to recharge to max. Tip of the fire has no hit stun. Breath can be angled. Cancels out small projectiles. Fire does 1% every time it hits.
Fire Shot: Shoots straight. Hold down B for continuous fire. Travels past shield. Shots can be angled. Up close 5%. Further distance 4%.
Fire Roar: Breathes fire long distance. Range of fire decreases rapidly. Goes from maximum to minimum range in 3 seconds. At minimum distance takes 20 seconds to recharge to max. Tip of the fire has no hit stun. Breath can be angled. Cancels out small projectiles. Fire does 1-2% every time it hits. At minimum distance does 1-4% every time it hits.

Side B
Flying Slam: Command Grab. Flies in the air once it connects. Can control the direction of drop. Opponents can control the direction of drop. Harder for opponents to control at higher %. Does 18%. KO move at 120%.
Dash Slam: Command Grab. Travels forward. Opponents within travel distance are grabbed. Flies low in the air once grabbed. Opponents can control the direction of drop. Harder for opponents to control at higher %. Does 12%. KO move. Near the edge at 160%, in the centre at 190%.
Dash Slash: Dashes forward. Opponents within travel distance are hit. Travels past shield. Does 8%. Tip of the dash does 6%. Cancels out small projectiles. KO move. Near the edge at 190%, in the centre at 260%. Tip Sudden Death KO near the edge.

Up B
Whirling Fortress: Hits a maximum of 8 times. Grounded, 1st-7th hit does 1%. Final hit does 4%. Maximum 8%. In the air, 1st hit does 10%, 2nd-6th hit does 3%, 7th-8th hit does 2%. Maximum 29%. Grounded final hit has knockback. Aerial 1st hit has knockback. Grounded, can only move horizontally. Can move while hitting opponents. Rises upwards when used in the air. Cancels out small projectiles. KO move at 170%.
Flying Fortress: Flies high into the air. 1st hit does 4%. Everything past that does 2%. Every hit has small knockback. Lessened horizontal distance. Cancels out small projectiles.
Sliding Fortress: Does 6%. Grounded, can only move horizontally. Grounded has high knockback. Covers majority of floor space on the ground. Covers lots of horizontal distance in the air. Doesn't fly very high in the air. Cancels out small projectiles. KO move. On the ground at 180%, in the air at 200%.

Down B
Bowser Bomb: Grounded, hits a maximum of 2 times. 1st does 4%. Final hit does 20%. Maximum 24%. In the air does 20%. Grounded rises in the air then drops. In the air stalls then drops. Does large shield damage. KO move. Cancels out small projectiles. On the ground at 90%, in the air at 100%.
Turbulence Bomb: Grounded, hits a maximum of 2 times. 1st hit does 4%. Final hit does 9%. Maximum 13%. In the air does 9%. Grounded rises in the air then drops. Moves far forward when used on the ground. In the air stalls then drops. Upon landing has a large wind box. Wind box has pushback effect. Cancels out small projectiles. Does large shield damage. KO move. Near the edge at 220%, in the centre at 250%. When used in the air on a grounded opponent, wind box reduces knockback, increasing KO threshold tremendously.
Slip Bomb: Grounded rises extremely high in the air then drops. Hardly moves forward at all. In the air stalls then drops. Does 18% upon direct impact. Does 13% from high shockwave. High shockwave has a very small radius. High knockback. Does 2% from low shockwave. Low shockwave has a large radius. Trips grounded enemies. KO move. Direct impact on the ground at 120%, in the air at 110%. High shockwave at 160%.

What are the go to customs for Bowser?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Did you write this? Nice work.

Fire Roar does more damage than that. At the maximum range that still deals hitstun I can get 3 hits for 8%

Last edited:

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
This thread has input on the most useful customs for all characters. http://smashboards.com/threads/suggested-custom-specials-for-every-character.376530/
(First post is having editing issues however, so it isn't updated.)

I said the following:

(Note that from most useful to least useful: Purple > Green > Yellow > Red)

:4bowser:
Neutral:
1 Fire Breath- Stays an option for longer than Fire Roar (doesn't fade as fast). Can reliably be used to override stale move negation. Not as useful for poking as Fire Shot though.
2 Fire Shot- Useful for poking and spacing via short hopping backwards, but the lag of this move makes it unreliable if used up close.
3 Fire Roar- Higher damage than Fire breath, but the long recharge time makes it too unreliable.

Side:
1 Flying Slam- Not as easy to land as Dash Slam or Dash Slash. The best thing about this move is that it can KO at high percents, but it works the best on stages with high platforms.
2 Dash Slam- The dash makes this move amazing. However, the KO ability is removed (unless you Bowsercide), and it does a bit less damage. Can be linked to Up B in the air for recovery.
3 Dash Slash- Comes out fast and covers a large amount of distance if used on the ground and an okay amount if used in the air. Can be linked to Up B in the air for recovery. Can hit some characters out of their low priority attacks. However, you cannot Bowsercide with this move.

Up:
1 Whirling Fortress- This is the best move for approaching with, as your opponent stays with you until the last hit and doesn't launch far. Deals up to 11% damage. Recovery height increases if you press B repeatedly.
2 Flying Fortress - The worst part of this is that it is horrible to use out of shield because it jumps from the ground. Deals one hit of 4% at start to 2% at end. This move has great vertical recovery, and it is good if you never use it on the ground, but that is limiting your options.
3 Sliding Fortress- This is the best move for spacing. Deals one hit of 6% damage with decent knockback. Slides very far on the ground, faster than running even, so this move is easy to space with. Has great horizontal recovery. I think recovery height increases if you press B repeatedly on this move too.

Down:
1 Bowser Bomb - Deals 4% on the way up, 20% on the way down, and 11% if barely missed on the ground. This move can also break shields if hit directly in the middle.
2 Turbulent Bomb - Deals 4% on the way up and 9% on the way down. This move has a windbox on the sides on landing, but it is too predictable to do anything special. This move is really bad.
3 Slip Bomb - No hit on the way up, but this move is faster than Bowser Bomb. Deals 18% on direct hit, 13% if barely missed on the ground, or 2% and a trip if the wide ground wake hits.

After discovery of Waveslashing however, I'm thinking that Flying Slam should be moved down to red and perhaps Dash Slash up to purple.

Last edited:

Ultima 3

Smash Cadet
Did you write this? Nice work.

Fire Roar does more damage than that. At the maximum range that still deals hitstun I can get 3 hits for 8%
I did. I tested it out a lot in practice.

I'm registering each individual hit, not as a combo, since combo numbers on breath attacks can vary greatly

Ultima 3

Smash Cadet
This thread has input on the most useful customs for all characters. [custom character suggestion link for every character]

I said the following:

(Note that from most useful to least useful: Purple > Green > Yellow > Red)

:4bowser:
Neutral:
1 Fire Breath- Stays an option for longer than Fire Roar (doesn't fade as fast). Can reliably be used to override stale move negation. Not as useful for poking as Fire Shot though.
2 Fire Shot- Useful for poking and spacing via short hopping backwards, but the lag of this move makes it unreliable if used up close.
3 Fire Roar- Higher damage than Fire breath, but the long recharge time makes it too unreliable.

Side:
1 Flying Slam- Not as easy to land as Dash Slam or Dash Slash. The best thing about this move is that it can KO at high percents, but it works the best on stages with high platforms.
2 Dash Slam- The dash makes this move amazing. However, the KO ability is removed (unless you Bowsercide), and it does a bit less damage. Can be linked to Up B in the air for recovery.
3 Dash Slash- Comes out fast and covers a large amount of distance if used on the ground and an okay amount if used in the air. Can be linked to Up B in the air for recovery. Can hit some characters out of their low priority attacks. However, you cannot Bowsercide with this move.

Up:
1 Whirling Fortress- This is the best move for approaching with, as your opponent stays with you until the last hit and doesn't launch far. Deals up to 11% damage. Recovery height increases if you press B repeatedly.
2 Flying Fortress - The worst part of this is that it is horrible to use out of shield because it jumps from the ground. Deals one hit of 4% at start to 2% at end. This move has great vertical recovery, and it is good if you never use it on the ground, but that is limiting your options.
3 Sliding Fortress- This is the best move for spacing. Deals one hit of 6% damage with decent knockback. Slides very far on the ground, faster than running even, so this move is easy to space with. Has great horizontal recovery. I think recovery height increases if you press B repeatedly on this move too.

Down:
1 Bowser Bomb - Deals 4% on the way up, 20% on the way down, and 11% if barely missed on the ground. This move can also break shields if hit directly in the middle.
2 Turbulent Bomb - Deals 4% on the way up and 9% on the way down. This move has a windbox on the sides on landing, but it is too predictable to do anything special. This move is really bad.
3 Slip Bomb - No hit on the way up, but this move is faster than Bowser Bomb. Deals 18% on direct hit, 13% if barely missed on the ground, or 2% and a trip if the wide ground wake hits.

After discovery of Waveslashing however, I'm thinking that Flying Slam should be moved down to red and perhaps Dash Slash up to purple.
Hmmmmm....I guess the topic already has everything....however, I'll still do my own testing of moves. Such as KO thresholds and what not.
I've covered Mario to Bowser so I'll be doing Yoshi next.
However yeah, that's seems about right in the moves to use

MrEh

Smash Hero
This is how I feel. Bowser's customs suck overall. Also, old Klaw is still good.

Neutral:
1 Fire Breath
2 Fire Shot
3 Fire Roar

Side:
1 Klaw
2 Dash Klaw
3 Hit Klaw

Up:
1 Whirling Fortress
2 Flying Fortress
3 Sliding Fortress

Down:
1 Bowser Bomb
2 Wind bomb
3 Trip Bomb

Last edited:

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
This is how I feel. Bowser's customs suck overall. Also, old Klaw is still good.

Neutral:
1 Fire Breath
2 Fire Shot
3 Fire Roar

Side:
1 Klaw
2 Dash Klaw
3 Hit Klaw

Up:
1 Whirling Fortress
2 Flying Fortress
3 Sliding Fortress

Down:
1 Bowser Bomb
2 Wind bomb
3 Trip Bomb
These are actually the only ones I use, but people keep arguing Fire Shot and Sliding Fortress's value. Trip Bomb seems kind of useful since it is faster, but you do lose shield break capability.

B!squick

Smash Master
It's sad that Bowser finally has the projectile I always wanted (Fire Shot)... and it sucks. I do feel kinda better knowing that most other projectiles suck, too though.

Top Bottom