• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cubivore for Brawl!

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I think that Nintendo should put a cubivore in Brawl. He would be a really cool character. If any of you didn't remember, Cubivore was a very rare Gamecube Action/RPG title that let you control a cubic animal and you got to evolve and eat. I think he would make a halfway decent character. The Cubivore was a trophy in Melee so it is not forgotten.

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet
He's one of the characters on my list of characters I want in SSB. Although, I prefer to call him Piggy. In Cubivore you would choose a name, Bob for example. And you would then be called Piggy Bob. Then you would evolve into Grizzly Bob, and then Chicky Bob.

Mr_Stoukaph

Smash Rookie
Cubivore was one of my favorite games for the G-cube. The game was way too underrated. It would be cool to have one battle in SSBB.

Kankaku

Smash Cadet
I believe that Japanese humour will win out one way or another XD So I think it'd be perfectly fitting to have a hilarious looking character such as the Cubivore in SSBB. The problem is that I wouldn't kno what kind of moveset it would have =/

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Super Smash Master said:
Cubivore was a very rare Gamecube Action/RPG title that let you control a cubic animal and you got to evolve and eat.
So THAT's why I can't find it anywhere. I've always wanted to play it. I mean I loved "E.V.O. Search for Eden" for the SNES, and Cubivore sounds like a sort of cool improvement on it. Plus it sounds like a collector's dreamgame along with Tactics Ogre...

Anyway, I'm not sure if a Brawl spot will be given to a Cubivore, but it would definitely be a good surprise character. Even better if it could actually fight.

Blazer

Smash Ace
I don't think Cubivore will make the cut. He doesn't fit in, and has absolutely no move basis. He would be fun to see but it just isn't likely.

Wash

Smash Apprentice
Blazer said:
I don't think Cubivore will make the cut. He doesn't fit in, and has absolutely no move basis. He would be fun to see but it just isn't likely.
I absolutely agree. This is a fun (and funny) idea to have a Cubivore as a playable character, but what about the third jump?! I mean I could see biting or clawing or whatever as tilts and smashes, but that third jump...

Wash

Smash Apprentice
I do really like the idea for a Shyguy to be a playable character, Wave Bird...hadn't thought of that. :)

Tromboy

Smash Cadet
That Alpha trophy in Melee that was supposed to be in Cubivore... I beat Cubivore but I never saw that character in there. Was he in the game?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Cubivore was the third best game ever and NEEDS to be in Brawl one way or another.
A full character seems a little far-fetched, but an AT seems possible, likely, and AWESOME.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
It's not that hard for cubivore to be in brawl xP Considering all the forms he can take in the game... it'd be cool if his b-moves were just EZ-mutations, and his a moves would depend on his physical characteristics.

Too bad it ain't happening xP

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Be an awesome "WTF!?" playable, and I love my Cubivore. But as it stands, I'm looking forward to this being the best AT ever.

Card

Smash Lord
Cubivore is the worst game to ever grace the Gamecube... Video Game Industry... Universe.

First of all;
  • The Gameplay is disgusting. Basically... to sum it up; the game has no gameplay. The cube moves so awkwardly, that it just aggrivates the player. The entire "eat meat flaps" to grow is somewhat disturbing as well.
  • The Graphics... k really... This is not even worth talking about
  • The Sound Effects and Music... I'd rather stab knives in my ears than listen to that garbage combination of bings and erererrrr and other nonsensical jibberish.
  • The Font seriously is just illegible. It pains me to read it, really.
  • EDIT: Oh yea I forgot to mention the Story......... yea.. its just bad.

You know I could continue the list for so long, but that would useless. The game has enough flaws as it is.

In conclusion, Cubivore is the worst character suggestion to ever cross the SmashBoards (even worse than GameFAQs boards) for Smash Brawl.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Cubivore is the worst game to ever grace the Gamecube... Video Game Industry... Universe.

First of all;
  • The Gameplay is disgusting. Basically... to sum it up; the game has no gameplay. The cube moves so awkwardly, that it just aggrivates the player. The entire "eat meat flaps" to grow is somewhat disturbing as well.
  • The Graphics... k really... This is not even worth talking about
  • The Sound Effects and Music... I'd rather stab knives in my ears than listen to that garbage combination of bings and erererrrr and other nonsensical jibberish.
  • The Font seriously is just illegible. It pains me to read it, really.
  • EDIT: Oh yea I forgot to mention the Story......... yea.. its just bad.

You know I could continue the list for so long, but that would useless. The game has enough flaws as it is.

In conclusion, Cubivore is the worst character suggestion to ever cross the SmashBoards (even worse than GameFAQs boards) for Smash Brawl.
...Man. I...wow.

Cubivore is a little disturbing bit of comedy as a whole. It's part of the charm, and if you're not open to that sort of thing, you likely were best off not picking it up in the first place. You're also one of the first people I've ever heard to complain about the controls or the gameplay. Rationing what pieces you want against your playstyle and what's available goes hand in hand with galloping through cubed plains. I've had a friend who refuses to play any games that take more than five minutes actually sit down with this one and play it all the way through to completion.

As far as I'm concerned, the graphics were fine. You got what was advertised: cubes. Which look fine as far as most people are concerned, as it's mostly well executed. I say mostly because...well, first, you've got to understand that this game was originally a Japanese '64 title. The only real crime as far as the appearance of the game is concerned is the fact that Saru Brunei did so very little in bumping it up to a GC game for the port; the textures are pretty ugly at times. But nothing that can't be overlooked.

The game's soundtrack fits perfectly with the graphics and gameplay, which is all in all: charming. It's slightly out there at times, but it lends completely to the atmosphere of a fractured, darkly comical box-eat-box world. Some parts can get on the nerves, admittedly, but it fit, overall.

Font gets a little annoying at times, but this is also the first time I've heard anybody decry it so horribly. Honestly?

Story: again. Perfectly in keeping with the theme of the game.

So, the only question in my mind here is: What were you expecting? High budget traditional adventure title ala Zelda? Cute kids game about square animals? Because the only thing Cubivore set to be was a highly artistic game with a semi-dark comedic nature and every facet of presentation hinging on putting forth a fractured view of 'survival of the fittest.'

It's quite alright if you didn't like the game for what it was. Really, no one here would bat an eye at that, actually. But it sounds to me that instead of simply not liking the experience the game put forth, it just didn't match what you wanted it to be. What you're trying to say is, "Cubivore is a really horrible game," but man, when you open your mouth, all I hear is, "I just didn't like it but I'm really bitter about it!"

Card

Smash Lord
Oh I was most certainly not expecting a high budget adventure title.
But what I was expecting is more than just a hogwash of horrendously basic control scheme and unresponsive lock-on battle system, appaling musical score and sound effects, and somewhat semi-original, yet at the same time highly uninteresting, theme and world. I haven't even brought up the ridiculously difficult to use camera control.

When I hear people saying comments like;
Cubivore was one of my favorite games for the G-cube. The game was way too underrated. It would be cool to have one battle in SSBB.
I seriously beg these people to get out more into the Game Industry. To consider Cubivore one of their favorite games...? Honestly, Cubivore is hardly even considered a "Sleeper Hit" amongst hardcore gamers (Such as games like ICO, Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, and many more extremely stellar games which had the misfortune of bad marketing). If it's not a Sleeper Hit, and it most certainly was not a Best Seller, what status does that leave it with? Oh yea, thats right... a dust-collector on the verge of disappearing from the industry.

Honestly, I'm not telling people to hate this game. In fact I seriously could not care less if you thought it was a charming little title that brought a semi-dark comedic view on society and whatnot.

But what I will point out through your entire post is that you did not once object to the main point of my entire post; Cubivore is an atrocious suggestion for a Fully Playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. So really, you can keep to your little cult following of this horrendously mediocre and subpar title as long as you dont seem to have any objections to my main claim. If I want my "open-ended and unique" gaming experience, I'll look elsewhere.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Oh I was most certainly not expecting a high budget adventure title.
But what I was expecting is more than just a hogwash of horrendously basic control scheme and unresponsive lock-on battle system, appaling musical score and sound effects, and somewhat semi-original, yet at the same time highly uninteresting, theme and world. I haven't even brought up the ridiculously difficult to use camera control.

When I hear people saying comments like;

I seriously beg these people to get out more into the Game Industry. To consider Cubivore one of their favorite games...? Honestly, Cubivore is hardly even considered a "Sleeper Hit" amongst hardcore gamers (Such as games like ICO, Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, and many more extremely stellar games which had the misfortune of bad marketing). If it's not a Sleeper Hit, and it most certainly was not a Best Seller, what status does that leave it with? Oh yea, thats right... a dust-collector on the verge of disappearing from the industry.

Honestly, I'm not telling people to hate this game. In fact I seriously could not care less if you thought it was a charming little title that brought a semi-dark comedic view on society and whatnot.

But what I will point out through your entire post is that you did not once object to the main point of my entire post; Cubivore is an atrocious suggestion for a Fully Playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. So really, you can keep to your little cult following of this horrendously mediocre and subpar title as long as you dont seem to have any objections to my main claim. If I want my "open-ended and unique" gaming experience, I'll look elsewhere.
Oh, that? Well, there're a million characters that deserve to get in before them, but they sure as hell aren't as bad as Laughing Dog or That One Guy From That Place (Link's Uncle? New Age Retro Hippy?) Unlikely, and maybe slightly undesirable for most, I'll give you. A prejudiced "WORST EV4R," not so much. But it's pretty hard to believe you when you say this was the 'main point' of your post when 80% of it wasn't about how Cubivore isn't a good idea for Brawl; it was about how you thought the game was the 'most horrible in the universe' or some crap like that.

Let's get something out of the way. I'm not going to try and tell you that Cubivore is a fantastic, perfect(!) game, or even as good as ICO or Psychonauts. All the major review sites I've seen gave the game between a 6/10 and a 7/10, which, ratings wise, is 'average,' and/or 'pretty good.' That's about what I'd say the game was as a whole. That doesn't mean it's a 'fantastic sleeper hit,' but it does mean it's not a 'horrendously mediocre and subpar title,' either. One of the best things about Cubivore, and a good reason why it might be one of someone's favorites, is the loads of potent personality it brings along with it.

If anything, Cubivore is a 'sleeper pretty good game.' I would imagine nobody here's under the impression that it will or should go down in the major books of gaming history as some artistic masterpiece. Cubivore isn't a 'sleeper hit,' and it has little in common with any of the games you listed as such. Whereas fantastic titles like ICO, Beyond Good and Evil, and Psychonauts all floundered thanks to failed marketing, there still remains the fact that these games were all highly accessible for the average, casual gamer. You put a controller into Chad McCheesesteak's hands ("My dad owns a dealership, bro, I can get you a sweet deal,") and he'll enjoy any of those previous three titles.

Hand him a GC controller with Cubivore rolling, and it's more than likely he'll just get confused. This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Chad OR Cubivore. (Well, if Chad is a frat boy like I imagined, there's actually already plenty wrong with him already. But that's for another day.) It just means this is the reason the game is where it is.

Nobody else thought the control scheme was that horrendous. The camera was annoying at times, but most people I know would hardly call it game breaking. You were expecting maybe polished controls that do exactly what you think they should when you come into the game?
The sound was called charming if not slightly annoying by most any review I've read, be it publication or friend. Yes, it was unconventional, but it was still done well, and it was still highly atmospheric. You were...maybe expecting a completely normal game soundtrack?
The atmopshere and setting, all in all, was well put together, convincing and, again, charming, by most people's opinions. It was also, like the rest of the game, a little dark and/or disturbing. If you flinch on reflex whenever something is a little disturbing, then again, this just isn't the game for you. You should probably also count out a number of major artistic works of fiction while you're at it. You were expecting maybe a kids game?

By the way, never meant the game was any sort of 'dark social commentary.' I only meant that it's theme has an air entirely of a somewhat dark-comedy view of the animal kingdom and survival of the fittest as a whole. Neither sugar sweet "circle of life," nor pessimistic, "kingdom of brutality and pointless killing."

All your points against the game, quite frankly, make it sound as if you simply didn't like the theme and artistry in the game and overreacted to every little nitpick you could find. All your little problems are, for most players, really just that; little problems. There's a pretty big difference between a game you don't like and a bad game. Most of the time, these two things come together. But, like right now, not always. Sometimes people don't like perfectly good games.

It would be nice if you could face up to the fact that you just didn't like the game. That, maybe, the enjoyment you: one person out of billions on the planet, derived from it, the joy that you: just as much a pointless worker ant as everyone else here, found in it, has nothing to do with how good the game is as a whole.

Don't try to 'review' games if you can't rightfully be objective about it. And if you don't care what we think about the game, then stop being a first class jerk about it by insulting our intelligence. If you really just want to say 'bad idea for Brawl,' then say it instead of using it as an add on to how much you think the game sucked from the bowels of hell and how uselessly moronic we all are for liking such a game.

If you're going to play games based on what you think they should be and not what they actually are, then please, do look elsewhere. Some of us have enough headaches as is.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Personally, I think you should just let him think it's bad because he dislikes it. That way, I get to think it's AWESOME because IT IS!

WEEE!!!

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I loved that game. It'd be kind of hard to make into a character though.. Maybe as a GW clone.

Top Bottom