• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crouch Dodge

KiteSC

Smash Cadet
So I did promise a database-ish of what moves (mostly projectiles) that WFT's crouch state can make whiff. So I collected most of the data. But before we go in, here are some conditions that I had to set so the data didn't become meaningless.

1. All projectiles were done on equal level ground. This makes sense since all we are trying to achieve is if WFT's vertical hitbox really does become ridiculously small. Being uneven in ground level would defeat this purpose. However, some stage specifics would be good for players to know, which is out of my research area at the moment.

2. All move that can be angled, it was not. If move is angle-able I stated it. However, there are moves that can track, but are not versatile in this regard to be heavily effected such as Link's arrow. This aspect is also mentioned.

3. Bouncing projectiles, linke Pikachu and Mario's, were totally neglected. While some of them are dodge-able during crouch, I think most characters can say that as well. And the real factor for success dodging these projectiles is your horizontal positioning rather than elevation.

4. Most non-projectile moves were originally skimmed through. However, it came into light that WFT's crouch has interesting aspects in this area as well. But nothing heavy was done for the aerials for this data. The difference that short hopping and quick falling had too much for me to do it personally. Any talk of aerials are all credited to others. It wasn't me.
---------------------------------------------------------
Let's first talk about crouch. WFT's crouch is a very low profile state where he/she goes into a push-up position. During crouch, WFT's hurtbox reflects this low profile state. WFT is able to make many moves completely whiff, which is usually more ideal than blocking for a punish. Also, unlike some other super low profile crouch that exists in this game, WFT's super low crouch is quite unique (maybe with Sheik's) in that her crouch is extra low to the ground and her usual standing height is very high and becomes a huge comparison. Her crouch position even threatens characters with known small hurtbox.

If idle enough, WFT will actually do some push-ups. During this state WFT's hurtbox actually gets bigger, to the point of about the average character's crouch state. In this study, this state was not taken into consideration as it is very easy to avoid being in this state.

WFT can move during crouch, which can be very helpful in certain match-ups against heavy projectile zoning. While moving in crouch, WFT's bounces slightly. However, this did not seem to effect the overall vertical hurtbox of WFT. Or at least not significantly enough against most projectiles. There are, however, handful of projectiles that CAN hit you if you move. Those were listed as such.

So generally speaking, WFT's crawl can be used to approach against projectiles. But generally, it is very slow in comparison to guard cancelled runs or jump in. Also, the fact that you can't cancel a run into a crouch state makes this option not as appealing. So the applicability of crouch might be just a match-up specific for WFT.
===========================================
How to use the following chart:
-All non-bouncing and firebreath projectiles are listed regardless of either they hit or whiff.
-All projectiles, if certain conditions makes the move hit or whiff, have these characteristics in the parenthesis next to them
-All non-projectiles listed whiff in someway. A move that will always hit or whiff only if angled up are not listed.
-All listed non-projectiles, if certain conditions makes the move hit, have these characteristics in the parenthesis next to them. Only if the condition makes them hit.
-All aerials listed are works of someone else. Thus, aerials not listed might actually whiff but wasn't test can exist.
-Move names were not fully checked with the wikia page. Don't go autistic on me because of the move names. I will apologize here before hand.
-Thank Diabolique, RedBeanPorridge, and 9Ball for contributing many of the knowledge here as well.

Last edited:

KiteSC

Smash Cadet
Mario and Dr. Mario :4mario::4drmario:
Projectile:
Down B - Fludd: Whiffs, but can be aimed.
Non - projectile:
Usmash

Link :4link:
Projectile:
B - Arrow: Whiffs unless really far away. If anywhere near, impossible to hit.
Side B - Boomerang: Whiffs unless angled well. If close, impossible to hit.
Down B - Bomb: Aimable and has blast radius. If close, hard to hit without hitting self.
Non-projectile:
Grab
Fsmash 2nd hit
Utilt
Usmash 2nd and 3rd hit
Fair
Nair
**At low percentage, F-smash and U-smash first hit can be taken on ground and still crouch through the rest of the move.

Toon Link :4tlink:
B - Arrow: Whiffs unless really far away. If anywhere near, impossible to hit.
Side B - Boomerang: Hits. If point blank, it will whiff due to the boomerang not taking its full shape.
Down B - Bomb: Aimable and has blast radius. Easier to land that Link's.
**Surprisingly had a good time hitting WFT. Toon Link hits with every ground non-projectile move.

Samus :4samus:
Projectile:
B - Charge beam: Full charge hits. Smaller charge whiffs. I can't time properly enough to get a good hair split.
Side B - Missile: Weak missile will chase and hit. Super missile whiffs.
Non - projectile:
Jab (second hit will hit)
Grab
Fair
Nair
Bair
Usmash
Fsmash (angle-able)
Ftilt (angle-able)

Falco :4falco:
Projectile:
B - Blaster: Whiff
Down B - Shine: Whiff
Non - projectile:
Usmash
Ftilt (Angle-able)

Fox :4fox:
Projectile:
B - Blaster: Whiff
Non - projectile:
Jab
Ftilt (Angle-able)
Utilt (Hits from the back)
Fsmash (Hits if not at literal point blank)

Zero Suit Samus :4zss:
Projectiles:
B - Paralyzer: Whiff
Side B - Plasma Whip: Whiff. The tip might hit if crawling.
Non - projectiles:
Fsmash
Utilt
Dash attack (End will hit)
Grab
Jab

Sheik :4sheik:
Projectile:
B - Needle: Whiff
Side B - Burst Grenade: Will pull you in and hit. Especially since your horizontal is bigger.
Non - projectile:
Jab (second phase will hit. If it does, third hit will hit. If not, third hit will also whiff)
Utilt (second part will hit)
Fsmash
Usmash
Grab
Dash Attack (the End of this attack will hit)

Olimar :4olimar:
Projectile:
Usmash - Whiffs.
Fsmash - Hits unless very specific pikmin in specific location.
Dsmash - Hits.
Side B - Hits unless very specific pikin in specific location.
Non - Projectile:
Utilt

Pacman :4pacman:
Projectile:
B - Fruit: Fruits bounce and hit you. Spaceship seeks.
Side B - Pellet: Hits
Down B - Fire Hydrant: Will push you away.
Non - Projectile:
Utilt
Usmash

Megaman :4megaman:
Projectile:
Side B - Sticky Bomb: Whiffs. Hits while crawling.
Down B - Leaf Shield: Hits.
B - Metal Blade: Hits.
Fsmash: Full charged hits
Jab
Non - Projectile:
Grab
Usmash (Will hit if too close)

ROB :4rob:
Projectiles:
B - Laser: Only full charge will hit, unless angled.
Side B - Arm Rotor: Half way in, the hitbox will touch you.
Down B - Gyro: Hits.
Non - projectiles:
Grab
Ftilt (Angle-able)

Greninja :4greninja:
Projectile:
B - Water Shuriken: Hits.
Non - projectile:
Jab (Third hit and on hits)
Usmash
Ftilt (Angle-able)
Utilt

Villager :4villager:
Projectile:
Side B - Lloid Rocket: Hits.
Non - projectile:
Utilt
Usmash (Will hit if you are too close)

Lucario :4lucario:
Projectile:
B - Aura Sphere: Hits.
Non - projectile:
Usmash
Utilt
Ftilt (Will hit close up. Angle-able)
Fsmash (Will hit close up)
Side B (Will hit close up)

Duck Hunt :4duckhunt:
Projectile:
B - Barrel: Willl hit you if you just sit there.
Side B - Clay Shooting: Explosion radius will hit you. Otherwise, you are safe.
Down B - Gunman: Whiff.
Non - projectile:
Usmash
Utilt

Luigi :4luigi:
Projectiles:
B - Fireball: Whiffs. Hits while crawl.
Non - projectiles:
Usmash

Diddy Kong :4diddy:
B - Peanut Shot: Whiff. Even if fully charged. Needs to be really far to get hit.
Side B - Monkey Flip: Whiff.
**None of the ground non - projectiles seems to whiff.

G&W :4gaw:
Utilt
USmash

Shulk :4shulk:
Jab (third attack will hit)
Dash attack
Grab
Ftilt
Fsmash (angle-able)

Rosalina :rosalina:
Jab
Grab (Dash grab hits)
Ftilt (Solo Luma will hit)
Usmash (Luma will hit)
Utilt
Fsmash (Solo versions will hit. Angle-able)

Peach :4peach:
Projectile:
Down B - Turnip: Point Blank will whiff
Non - projectile:
Grab
Jab
Ground Float Nair
Non-ground Bair
Usmash

Ike :4myfriends:
Jab (Only first hit)
Grab
Side B (on ground) hit while crouched, but whiffed while in push up animation??? (he stopped at my location and swung, but did not hit me) He might have a dead zone or something.

Wiifit Trainer :4wiifit:
Projectile:
B - Sun Salutation: Whiff at all charge.
Side B - Soccer Ball: Whiff unless pretty far away.
Non - Projectile:
Utilt
Ftilt
Jab (First hit's back part hits. Second hit can hit if really close. Third hit will always hit)
Grab

Bowser :4bowser:
Side B
**The rising part of Down B will hit.

Yoshi :4yoshi:
Utilt
Usmash
Second hit of jab (will hit if you got hit by the first)

Bowser Jr. :4bowserjr:
Projectile:
B - Cannonball: Whiff unless relatively far away. Even uncharged ones.
Down B - Windup Bomb: Always hit.
Non - projectile:
Usmash
Utilt

Wario :4wario2:
Usmash
Utilt

Donkey Kong :4dk:
Utilt
USmash
Ftilt (hits from far)
Jab (second hit hits)
BAir
B (hits from far)

Zelda :4zelda:
Projectile:
Down B - Spirit: Uncharged will whiff
Non-projectile:
Dash attack
Jab
Ftilt (Angle-able)
Utilt
Usmash
Grab
Fsmash

Ganondorf :4ganondorf:
Dsmash
B
Jab
Ftilt
Fsmash
Grab
Up B
Down B

Pit and Dark Pit :4pit::4darkpit:
Projectile:
B - Arrow: Will hit you if aimed.
Non - Projectile:
Fsmash
Grab

Palutena :4palutena:
Projectile:
B - Target Beam: Can dodge it if aimed at standing first
Non - projectile:
Fsmash (will push you a bit)
Utilt
Grab
Dash attack

Marth and Lucina :4marth::4lucina:
Jab
Grab
Dash attack
B
Utilt

Robin :4robinm:
Projectile:
B - Thunder: Whiffs.
Side B - Fire: Whiffs unless you get hit right on.
Non - projectile:
Grab (Down B will still grab)
Fsmash
Utilt
Usmash
Ftilt

Kirby :4kirby:
Everything hits. Too short for us.

Dedede :4dedede:
Utilt

Metaknight
Usmash
Utilt

Little Mac :4littlemac:
Jab
B
Grab
Dash Attack (Will hit at the tip)
Fsmash (Angle-able)
Utilt
Side B (Will hit if it lands exactly on you)
KO Punch (Will hit during crawl or idle)

Captain Falcon :4falcon:
Dash Attack (Will hit at the tip)
Grab
Down B (Will hit up close and at the end)
Up B
Ftilt (Angle-able)
Fsmash (Angle-able)
Dsmash

Sonic :4sonic:
Fsmash (Angle-able)

Pikachu :4pikachu:
Everything hits. Too short.

Charizard :4charizard:
Usmash (Hits from the back)
Utilt

Jigglypuff :4jigglypuff:
Everything hits. Too short.

Ness :4ness:
Projectile:
Side B - PK Fire: Hits
Non - projectile:
Utilt
------------------------------
Any suggestions, additions, and criticisms are all very welcome.

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
This is great. Thanks so much for putting the effort in. I can easily see thus being a sticky once it's become more exhaustive. Megaman's side smash whiffs? Even when charged all the way? Jeeeez.

Diabolique

Smash Cadet
I can help you add some stuff (this is from experience):

:4zss:

Dash Attack whiffs, but sometimes it hits. I believe you can go under the start and middle of the attack but I think the end will clip us.

Utilt also whiffs (lol)

:4shulk:

First 2 hits of jab will whiff (the sword one will hit)

Dash Attack whiffs

Standing Grab and Dash grab will both whiff

Ftilt whiffs ( he can't angle this I don't think

Fsmash whiffs (he CAN angle this though, boo)

Nair and Fair CAN be crouched under, but it's unreliable at best because he can fastfall and space it, etc. I wouldn't rely on it

:4gaw::

Side B whiffs

Utilt whiffs

Usmash whiffs

:4lucario::

hard to test because of auras and what not, but:

B will always hit :(

Usmash whiffs

Utilt whiffs

Ftilt, Fsmash, and Side B can whiff, but only if you are at the end of it's range, not in point blank (or for side b, anywhere in the middle) He can angle Ftilt though

Jab whiff also I believe, but not 100% sure on this

:rosalina::

Complicated to say the least. Not only do they have different moves but when Luma is with Rosa he actually floats a bit above the ground, but when he is separated he will settle on the floor. Generally, if luma is on the floor, his attacks will always hit

Jab: Will whiff if they are together. Solo Rosa will always whiff, Solo Luma will always hit

Grab: Standing Grab whiffs, Dash Grab hits.

Ftilt will whiff from Solo Rosa and when Luma is with her. Luma Ftilt will hit if separated though.

Solo Rosa Usmash and Uilt will whiff (Luma Usmash will always hit, regardless if with her or not, I don't know about Luma utilt)

Fsmash when together will always whiff unless angled down.

:4peach:

Standing Grab and Dash Grab both whiff

Jab whiffs

Fsmash hits

Ground Float Nair whiffs :chuckle:

Falling Bairs and SH Bairs will whiff, but Ground Float Bair hits (i.e anything not on the ground will whiff)

Ground Float Fair hits

Utilt whiffs

Usmash whiffs

Turnips whiff at point blank

:4myfriends::

First hit of Jab whiffs (others do not)

Standing Grab and Dash Grab whiff

SH Nair whiffs

SH Bair whiffs

Side B (on ground) hitwhile crouched, but whiffed while in push up animation??? (he stopped at my location and swung, but did not hit me) He might have a dead zone or something.

Utilt hits

Last edited:

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
Was testing this against another cpu WFT and I guess I'll make a few contributions
:4wiifit::4wiifitm::

Sun Salutation whiffs at every charge

Soccer Ball Whiffs all the time up close and often whiffs at relative distances.

Fsmash whiffs

Usmash whiffs (no surprise there xD)

Dsmash does not whiff

Utilt whiffs

Ftilt whiffs

Dtilt does not whiff

first hit of jab whiffs(front part, not the back), second hit can also whiff but can also hit if you're really close, third hit definitely connects

Grab whiffs

All aerials whiff except Dair, nair and fair initiate the land animation before their hitboxes can even get to you

Someone do correct me if i'm misinformed.

KiteSC

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the help. I'll add everything to it as well when I get the chance.

Edit: I will start doing these maybe every other day. I will do one row of the roster at a time.

Last edited:

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Olimar's entry is my favorite
Also ducking KO punch is hilarious

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Great work on this so far @ KiteSC KiteSC !

Here's a small contribution:

Marth and Lucina whiff grabs and shield breakers
Usmash has a huge disjoint on it's sides and will hit.(I'm jealous)

Little Mac
KO punch whiffs, [but will hit if crawling or if she goes into her idle animation]
Ftilt whiffs
fsmash can be angled but whiffs normally
Dash attack functions like Capt Falcon and ZSS, needs to hit at the end, this is just as hilarious as KO bunch since standing up can make it whiff
Grab whiffs
neutral b(none ko) whiffs
Side B obviously whiffs
Utilt whiffs from behind
UpB probably hits

Shiek
Grab whiffs
Dash attack is in the I-need-to-hit-with-the-end-of-this-move-to-make-it-work club
dsmash can be whiffed a small distance away that it'd hit standing
fsmash can be whiffed if you crawl backwards
usmash whiffs

Zelda
Grab whiffs
fsmash whiffs
jab whiffs(but has really good iasa frames and dtilt is great)
ftilt whiffs but can be angled, (not sure if angled hits)

Shulk
Grab whiffs
Usmash has a grounded hitbox that will pop you up

Robin
Fsmash whiffs
all levels of thunder can be crouched or dtaunted
grab whiffs

Palutena
grab whiffs

Ganon
grab whiffs
ftilt whiffs
side b whiffs but can catch crouching
upB whiffs
fsmash can be angled
dsmash whiffs
down b whiffs
neutral b whiffs
I can't imagine Usmash not whiffing either but I haven't tested it

DK
Ftilt whiffs up close
Charge Punch Whiffs up close
Utilt whiffs from behind

Captain Falcon
Dash attack whiffs up close
grab whiffs
Down B is weird whiffs up close and towards the end of the animation, but occasionally also whiffs while crawling away or towards
UpB whiffs
Ftilt can be angled
Fsmash can be angled but if you're crawling against him you'll pass through behind him
SideB can whiff if you're crawling away from him, hits if stationary(pretty much the opposite of Ganon)
DSmash Whiffs

Pit
grab whiffs
jab hairlines occasionally

Rob
Grab whiffs
jab whiffs(hairlines)
SideB whiffs during the start but has the same properties as Captain Falcon's Fsmash if moving(you will pass through him while crawling)
Ftilt can be angled

Sonic
Fsmash can be angled
I'm pretty sure grab catches but it looks relatively high and might be crouchable under specific circumstances

All tethers whiff so you can fill in
Link's grab whiffs
Toon Link Too
and Samus

Semi Tethers all catch so
Villager's grab catches
Pacman's grab catches

Last edited:

KiteSC

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I was planning to finish this project this week, but work project is right now eating a lot of time D:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I do not have a capture equipment, but I think it would be great if someone actually uploaded a video of all these dodges happening in real time. If no one wants to do it I will eventually buy a capture card and do it myself.

KiteSC

Smash Cadet
So I'm practically done now. I will check in every now and then to update whatever I find. Also I'll probably get this in alphabetical order even though people can easily just ctrl + f. And maybe do some Mii fighters if I really get bored.

If you guys have anything regarding this list, please feel free to post here or message me and I'll update the list in time.

Doing this list was kind of fun. It was painful because I had to do it by myself. But bodying Robins and ZSS with this tech was quite worth it. I hope you guys enjoy using crouch to dodge as well. Happy smash.

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
Ganon's Upsmash hits forward and then up, so if you're too close, you'll get hit anyway.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
So now that this thread has been bumped, I thought I'd bring up something interesting I discovered.

Apparently WFT's hurtbox is even lower/harder to hit during the transition from standing to crouching and a lot of grabs that definitely catch normally whiff during this period. Notable characters I found so far being Diddy and Kirby.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
It's a little iffy and hard to get consistent mid match but it certainly works. It's similar to how some characters are actually lower during their recovery animations than they are crouching.

Also~
@ KiteSC KiteSC Dunno if you've had the time to keep up with new WFT tech and general ATs but we can crawl out of a run now thanks to the Run Turn Around Cancel tech. It's even more amazing than it sounds since we get can get a huge boost of momentum in whatever direction we crawl once we return to neutral.

Xyless

Smash Master
That tends to be the case for crouching, most characters have a little bounce when they crouch, then come up a tad, which barely lowers their hurtboxes under their normal crouch animation.

KiteSC

Smash Cadet
It's a little iffy and hard to get consistent mid match but it certainly works. It's similar to how some characters are actually lower during their recovery animations than they are crouching.

Also~
@ KiteSC KiteSC Dunno if you've had the time to keep up with new WFT tech and general ATs but we can crawl out of a run now thanks to the Run Turn Around Cancel tech. It's even more amazing than it sounds since we get can get a huge boost of momentum in whatever direction we crawl once we return to neutral.
Hm...then maybe we should look into the crawling a bit closely? x-x

⑨ball

Smash Ace
I have been. I think it's really silly going into crouch dodges more things than crouching does, but maybe it has something to do with WFT's hurtbox changing position rather than being low and it actually disappears for a while.

I'm incredibly anxious for some type of hurt/hit bubble viewer for smash 4.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Man her crouch is so low to the ground that I just like to mess with people on FG with it.

Top Bottom