• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crossovers thread

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
We are in the era of the crossovers, that's undeniable.
It started with X-Men Versus Street Fighters, which already seemed questionable, but since it worked Capcom, and even other soft houses, started flooding with extreme crossovers, making the fans glee in happiness or raise an eyebrow.
Take Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe. It's pretty clear that they made it to counterpart the Marvel Versus Capcom series, and it's documented that fans of both parties were more than perplexed at it's announcement (just see this: http://www.lilformers.com/blog/comics/2008-06-02.jpg ). But it's surprisely worked.
Does that mean that any crossover could work, by the power of money and merchandise, or are there still holy limits that should not be crossed?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
You sure? Thought I haven't played the game myself, a lot of people that played it said it was far better than expected by such hazardous crossover.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yes, Hypercat, that game is an example of how NOT to do crossovers lol

The gameplay was... tolerable I guess. But just the idea of Superman and Captain Marvel facing against brutal characters like Scorpion and Shang Tsung is ridiculous, let alone the non-existent replay value, **** story and endings (although maybe I shouldn't hold this against the game 'cause I don't recall of any other crossover fighting game with a good story), Freefall Kombat, etc.

Although, with that said, I definitely do think certain crossovers can work, but not just any one

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I remember the Capcom vs SNK crossovers. Ah...those were so good. Hell, I even remember when KOF 94 and KOF 95 were out thinking they were so cool because I was like "Terry beating up Ryu guys?!!". Of course...I was like 7 and 8 when those 2 games came out, but still.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Unless the series is as violent and gory as MK is, I seriously couldn't believe that MKvsDC would've actually been a good game given that most of the gore was taken out. I'm not surprised they took it out given children like Superman :phone:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
You sure? Thought I haven't played the game myself, a lot of people that played it said it was far better than expected by such hazardous crossover.
Here's what happened:

DC did not like the idea of their heroes getting killed or killing, so in order to appease them, the MK team removed fatalities. What's left are really, really extended beat 'em up sessions for the DC Heroes and bloodless cartoony kills for MK. Observe:

[yt]LFt1cK7i4eM[/yt]

Notice the deaths really aren't the graphic. Even the fire deaths don't look like they really killed the person.

Worse were these:

[yt]4Yb2YFoAQnU[/yt]

The villains have really tame fatalities like MK, but the most annoying are the heroic brutalities. When Superman pounds Sonya into the ground like a railroad spike at 1:55, notice how she squirms in an exaggerated way. This was done because the Heroes don't kill, and the squirming shows they are alive.

The problem with crossover games is that both sides want to make their franchise look the best. Sometimes this works out, most times it doesn't.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I can agree with that. However, that being said...I've played SFxTekken for a bit and well...I kinda liked it and am half tempted get it now.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Wait until you see the new free DLC gems then. That may change your mind.

Crossovers always sound cool, but I think the only one I've enjoyed is CvS2.

Top Bottom