• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique plz

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Don't underestimate fair. Upsmash/Grab OOS. Wavedash smart. Dashdance often. Fullhop fireball can be wavelanded/double jumped. Down-B to aid recovery.

j3ly

Smash Champion
you double jump needlessly and too much, if u have the urge to go upwards like i do then waveland on a platform instead. or off the platform onto the edge so you can try to bait a wd on grab. Ideally though, if you are about to be cornered you could have been making a wall of some kind. even a wall of baits. bair waveland is perfect for that.

there is one thing that i noticed was wrong instantly (in my idea of how best to play plumber), and i have huge confidence fixing it will improve ur game alot.
i felt like crying every time you missed an auto cancel. specifically, dair xD as long as a move's hitboxes are gone, landing will produce only 4 frames of lag - much quicker than l-canceling. this allows you to follow up from combos much quicker, jump out of short hop bair and uair, and some other things.
so ye, notice that bair and uair auto cancel from short hops. do the move as soon as u jump and fast fall as soon as u can. dair auto cancels from a full hop in the same manner.

and bair waveland...! jumping, and doing bair at the last moment infront of your opponent is not effective!

learn 2 recover aswell. u can shoot a fireball at the opponent in the air, if you cant make stage. downB instantly. try to save cape for tough situations.

also you never attack above to try and get their jump. jus sayin, if shieks jumping and fairing every time like that, bait and punish.
bait with... dunno, he faired predictably.
punish with.. full hop dair, fast fall it and auto cancel it. or double bair. it autocancels too

a much scarier fair tactic is for the shiek not to fair: if shes jumping and not approaching, then she is much readier to fair on reation :lick:

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Actually I've tried but one A,A,A combo with surprise the F outta them.

j3ly

Smash Champion
what are you talking about jab jab kick is amazing!

sets up tech chases nd everythin

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Thanks guys! I'll work on the auto cancels. My spacing has gotten a lot better since then and I did notice the double jump thing too. also my recovery is better. got more matches coming soon

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Thanks guys! I'll work on the auto cancels. My spacing has gotten a lot better since then and I did notice the double jump thing too. also my recovery is better. got more matches coming soon
Perfect Tornado! Don't forget!

n0ne

Smash Ace
Also, angle your Up-b`s with joystick for further compensation.
Remember, Doc cant do that, but plumer can.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Also, angle your Up-b`s with joystick for further compensation.
Remember, Doc cant do that, but plumer can.
n0ne! You're here! You still Mario user? I think you were that like last month or so.

n0ne

Smash Ace
haha . yup still.
Mario, Ganon, Falcon,Fox, G&W 4life.

anyways, i wouldnt be too sure about down-bing imediatly.
Depends on the situation tho.
I almost never tornado at any time and only do a reverse cape, i feel it helps recovery (just like marth can) and maybe... cape stall... or dont cape at all to up-b.
Trick is to not be predictible.

But yeah. Reverse cape to angled Up-b is Win.

Blanky

Smash Journeyman
hey! i've only watched your video against Sinister's fox and didnt get to read other people's responses, so excuse me if some of this stuff's been said.
i think you should do less uairs when your opponent's at high %, more nairs would be more effective.
also, you double jump a little too much when it isnt really necessary. fortunately the fox didnt punish it much, but had he taken advantage of it, it could have led to a good gimp. it's dangerous because after using your second jump, your recovery is extremely limited.

speaking of recovery, it seemed a bit predictable too much. try not to make your recovery a constant formula (ie. down b->cape->jump->up b), try to switch it up and do things only when they're necessary.

other than that, maybe some more wavelanding and autocancelled dairs can lead to some good **** :) try it out!

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
speaking of recovery, it seemed a bit predictable too much. try not to make your recovery a constant formula (ie. down b->cape->jump->up b), try to switch it up and do things only when they're necessary.
j3ly's theory is pretty good actually and you should get good at it when you can. Basically, j3ly has this 'no Up-B' mindset where you'd have to rely on your DI skills and recover with your up-b (i would say) only if you get hit out of your double jump.

Mario's bread-and-butter recovery, however is more effective going below the stage for the up-b's medium-high priority and multiple hits; you want to hit the guy away from the edge (preferrably landing on a platform after for less lag)

n0ne

Smash Ace
*sigh. people lets get one thing straight.

As far as im concerned, Marios recovery is NOT garbage, and is not easy to gimp or edgueguard. He can be very unpredictible as long as u do good DI and mix up your options.
As opposed to Doc, where he IS EASY to edgeguard.

* Marios lighter, so he gets more distance from his light speed-fallspeed (lol)

** when mario uses cape for the 1st time in the air, he actually advances in the air, and makes you float, thus, helpfully making you be able to get closer to the stage/ledge. and every other time u use cape after this, he still falls but slowly, (cape stall) as opposed to doc , doc just falls.

*** Mario can Angle his Up-b (great help and has more priority than normal up-b.

**** Lots of people forget too. WALL-JUMP! , up-b cancel to waljump to up-b, etc.

*****And he STILL has his tornado.

While,

*Up-b CANNOT be angled.
*Doc can teleport magically sometime to the ledge if used up b correctly, its good, but useless if oponent is on the ledge.
*Heavier, falls alittlebit faster, doesnt help getting back to stage
* 1st cape in the air helps *alittlebit*
*2nd and other capes in the air make me wanna puke
* has tornado also.
* no wall-jump

Thats pretty much it.

What im trying to say is people confuse US plumber users for docs, and think that we will most likely use tornado. This is good, because its kinda of a mindgame. so when recovering u just up b early , dont use jump, use jump or no tornado, etc
There are alot of diferent combinations to keep your game varied.
But if u use your up-b imediatly after hitstun, well, it helps you get closer to the ledge, but u have one less tool to actually get TO the stage, if u know what i mean.

In the end, Marios recovery is not too bad, my advice is to not mess it up even more tho, but well, its just my opinion anyways.

Take That*
*says this to Doctors lame recovery. Mario>doc LOL

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Mario and Doc fall at the same speed, for future reference.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
so i should have more matches soon. i keep getting better and better. Sinister doesnt like to play fox against me anymore lol. but i am getting nowhereagainst his sheik...i get like one good match out of 5...tho his sheik is his best

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
so i should have more matches soon. i keep getting better and better. Sinister doesnt like to play fox against me anymore lol. but i am getting nowhereagainst his sheik...i get like one good match out of 5...tho his sheik is his best
no i just don't like playing fox period anymore. once i get my tech skill back i'll start playing fox more.

Top Bottom