• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Zelda!

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Something I noticed in the first 9 seconds of the match:

1. Don't use a tag if you play Zelda. If you teleport, it tells the enemy where you're going to appear in more than enough time for them to punish you. Without a tag, you can use the teleport for mindgames.

2. Don't do a smash attack when the enemy is nowhere near you. People will see it, and hit you out of it.

In general:

More dashdancing, more wavedashing, less spotdodging. Zelda's spotdodge leaves something to be desired.

Don't u-smash to try to stop Falco's spike. As proven in the first 9 seconds, it's not a good idea.

Watch the timing and spacing of your attacks. Unless they're playing Bowser, or they suck, chances are pretty good that you're slow, and they are fast. If you can't time and space properly, you aren't winning with Zelda.

Find better opponents. What you were doing worked on this guy, but that doesn't mean it'll work on other people.

Roman.

Smash Champion
This is actually like the 3rd best smasher in my area, I know he's not too great but it's pretty much the best I can find.

I don't really care much about the tag for he's probobly not good enough to punish me anyway but if I am playing an important match or in a tourny, I will be sure to take it off.

I agree about the DD and less spotdodging but zelda doesn't have all that great of a wavedash. I can do it with her alright but I don't see many oppertunities where it would be really effective besides mindgames.

Thanks for the comment though.

Zone

Smash Champion
@:56 in match two shoulda short hop footed instead.

@2:05 when u did double dash attack. If the first hit doesn't send them flying, and see how close you were, prolly best to assume when u dash again they'll block and you can go for a grab.

@2:47 don't come at peach from above when she's recoverying, Umbrella > You

I couldn't watch the first one hoped this helped. LIke it's already said, find someone who can kick your butt lol. Easier to critique that way.

When you play a better falco, you may find that uptilt will trade hits with his down air Not Upsmash. IMO trading that hit, is hell of a lot better than letting him pound on your shield til it's near nothing.
Example: Down-Air, shine, shorp-shuffled nuetral, Jab, Jab, Shine, Pillar. So on. When that happens to me I wait to hope they choose a laggier move like down tilt or smash to let me out.

If you want to be able to beat falcos(Seriously) that are good, Learn to power shield, or have a sexy good lazer dodging/naryu's love game.

To me it looks like your jsut starting with Zelda, because your kinda just throwing out attacks. You know playing basic. With not so hot opponents I suggest just practicing combos, and spacing on them.

Imo Wavedash and dashdancing sucks for zelda ALONE. if you plan on using either one. you need to learn how to fluidly implement both together.

DaBRÜM

Smash Apprentice
In the first match, when you threw the falco on the above platform you need to SH uair to hit him...your upsmash OBVIOUSLY didnt work...
less upsmash in general and more uber kick...

Zone

Smash Champion
Here is an example of the uptilt thing to falco's Down air I was talking about earlier.
Happens on the 19th secondish. It only works when he's coming fairly high. hard to anticipate or pull it off when its coming from a short hop or a lazer to lazer to short hop spike especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0HuhOXrrRg

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Some things I noticed:
-You use Zelda's smash attacks FAR too frequently. Don't use Zelda's fsmash, unless your opponent is not at the liberty to counter you for the attempt.
-Zelda's spot dodge is long and inconvenient for dodging the close attacker. Fine to use it for Falco's lasers, and illusion, but not for close combat. Any good player would wait and punish you for the major lagtime it has.
-You also use Zelda's grab too much. Zelda has a grab that is a long time in coming and is easily punishable. Only use it when you can't miss.
-Zelda's WD is not useless. Her waveland is even more important for mindgames and moving quickly around the stage. I saw you do this a couple times, which is good, but you need to do it more.
-You don't seem to recognize the opportunity for a Lightning Kick. When your opponent charged you with a dash attack which you shielded in both matches, you would grab or something. Jump cancel into a lightning kick ftw.
-Know that Zelda is a bad comboer, except at low percents. You can afford to try grab-initiated comboes when your opponent has low percent, but later, you'll want to just lightning kick to punish.
-Your opponent is horrible. Well, OK, that is a bit harsh, but let's just say that he would be the laughing stock of the Falco boards. He wasn't shorthopping lasers like any good Falco should, and I laughed out loud at his sorry attempts at WDing.

In conclusion, I'll say that these mistakes we've pointed out are the result of foul training. You need to play better people, because these bad players are the ones teaching you that what you are doing works. You see it works, and it becomes a habit, which is NOT a good thing. The thing is, it simply DOESN'T work. I also recommend watching vids of the best of Zelda players.

Zone

Smash Champion
-Zelda's WD is not useless. Her waveland is even more important for mindgames and moving quickly around the stage. I saw you do this a couple times, which is good, but you need to do it more.
Must've misunderstood me since I can feel this aimed at me.
It kinda sucks when it's by itself. It's real good, especially when mixed with dash dancing, wave landing, fox trotting. But if zelda didn't have any of that otherstuff the best thing u'd have for wavedash is to hope they land that tiny inch infront of u when u wavedash backwards. by itself it's just a decent spacing tool.

Sorry for any confusion.

Yes learn it for Zelda, But you really should know how to incoporate it with dash dance, wave land, fox trotting.

If you didn't Bold that for me well then this comment is useless lol and my bad >.>;

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
Some things I noticed:
-You use Zelda's smash attacks FAR too frequently. Don't use Zelda's fsmash, unless your opponent is not at the liberty to counter you for the attempt.
-Zelda's spot dodge is long and inconvenient for dodging the close attacker. Fine to use it for Falco's lasers, and illusion, but not for close combat. Any good player would wait and punish you for the major lagtime it has.
-You also use Zelda's grab too much. Zelda has a grab that is a long time in coming and is easily punishable. Only use it when you can't miss.
-You don't seem to recognize the opportunity for a Lightning Kick. When your opponent charged you with a dash attack which you shielded in both matches, you would grab or something. Jump cancel into a lightning kick ftw.
-Know that Zelda is a bad comboer, except at low percents. You can afford to try grab-initiated comboes when your opponent has low percent, but later, you'll want to just lightning kick to punish.
-Your opponent is horrible. Well, OK, that is a bit harsh, but let's just say that he would be the laughing stock of the Falco boards. He wasn't shorthopping lasers like any good Falco should, and I laughed out loud at his sorry attempts at WDing.

In conclusion, I'll say that these mistakes we've pointed out are the result of foul training. You need to play better people, because these bad players are the ones teaching you that what you are doing works. You see it works, and it becomes a habit, which is NOT a good thing. The thing is, it simply DOESN'T work. I also recommend watching vids of the best of Zelda players.

I'd defend myself here, but given the brash (and hostile) nature of your post, I'll not expend the effort.

Besides, based off of this single, and admittedly crappy match, I can easily see why you'd believe that I am a "horrible" player. You've no reason to think otherwise, and I don't give enough of a crap to explain myself. Believe what you will.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Besides, based off of this single, and admittedly crappy match, I can easily see why you'd believe that I am a "horrible" player. You've no reason to think otherwise, and I don't give enough of a crap to explain myself. Believe what you will.
Even if you really are better than what those matches would indicate, it still would be beneficial for him to play vs. someone better. (such as someone like KDJ) However it is clear from those matches that he got habits from playing vs. someone horrible (which could easily be the computer).

This is actually like the 3rd best smasher in my area, I know he's not too great but it's pretty much the best I can find.

I don't really care much about the tag for he's probobly not good enough to punish me anyway but if I am playing an important match or in a tourny, I will be sure to take it off.
If he's not good enough to punish you for the tag, that means you need to play vs. someone better. Seeing how you're from Mass (according to your profile), you should come to a tournament in the area. There's a lot of tournaments right in your state.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Must've misunderstood me since I can feel this aimed at me.
It kinda sucks when it's by itself. It's real good, especially when mixed with dash dancing, wave landing, fox trotting. But if zelda didn't have any of that otherstuff the best thing u'd have for wavedash is to hope they land that tiny inch infront of u when u wavedash backwards. by itself it's just a decent spacing tool.

Sorry for any confusion.

Yes learn it for Zelda, But you really should know how to incoporate it with dash dance, wave land, fox trotting.

If you didn't Bold that for me well then this comment is useless lol and my bad >.>;
Oh, actually, I didn't read your post. Sorry. Yeah, the thread starter said something about Zelda's WD being bad and not worth using somewhere- that's what I was responding to.

And guys, please don't take that first post too analy. When asking for critique, expect critique. I apologize for the "brash, hostile" nature of my comments on the opposition. I thought you either wouldn't have an account, or wouldn't have been investigating this thread. I'm not afraid to be blunt though, and that is more or less what I meant. You could use a LOT of improvement with Falco and Peach yourself. I could critique you, but I couldn't give you as good a lesson as the Falco boards or Peach boards. Present your vid there (if you're brave enough) or just watch more Falco/Peach vids and attend more tournaments.

P.S. Emmy, do you have any vids of your Zelda?

Zone

Smash Champion
I'd defend myself here, but given the brash (and hostile) nature of your post, I'll not expend the effort.

Whoa Newb(His game name), He isn't Critiqing you. He's critiqueing the person who made this post. I was giving a minor example to the creator of the post. No one has commented on the match ur defending urself on lol.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
Whoa Newb(His game name), He isn't Critiqing you. He's critiqueing the person who made this post. I was giving a minor example to the creator of the post. No one has commented on the match ur defending urself on lol.
Um..... Oh...

Zone

Smash Champion
Even if you really are better than what those matches would indicate, it still would be beneficial for him to play vs. someone better. (such as someone like KDJ) However it is clear from those matches that he got habits from playing vs. someone horrible (which could easily be the computer).

If he's not good enough to punish you for the tag, that means you need to play vs. someone better. Seeing how you're from Mass (according to your profile), you should come to a tournament in the area. There's a lot of tournaments right in your state.
Tropical Taco misunderstood the thread. He was searching for what I posted recently. and thought u were critiquing a match of me Vs him. He simply didn't read before he posted. He's not that falco fighting the thread maker, he's the one in the link sample I gave to the Thread starter.

Top Bottom